Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Son wants a 944 as a DD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
jasons
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 13 2014, 12:05 PM) *

What's the story about the shirt?

Bluto (John Belushi ) wore it in Animal House.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 13 2014, 03:05 PM) *

rhodyguy
i'm old enough to have forgotten.
Drums66
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 12 2014, 02:19 PM) *

A PCA driver skill day/weekend would make a fun, safe gift.

....A good thought idea.gif
bye1.gif (soon as possible).....
Drums66
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Jul 13 2014, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 13 2014, 03:05 PM) *

......"Do doughnuts,not speedballs!"..... idea.gif
bye1.gif
scott_in_nh
So he has been driving it to work and is getting better at clutch/shifting and it is running driving well to but:

1) it does start a little rough when cold but clears out in seconds if you brings the revs up a bit. The PO thought that an injector was leaking down into the motor overnight.

2) It has an oil leak. Not major, but not a few drops. overnight it makes about an 8" spot on the driveway but it is very little actual oil. We'll have to get it up on ramps at least to get an idea where it is coming from. It drips off the crossmember is all we can tell on the ground.
mgp4591
Everyones first car has oil leaks- hell, most of our cars have oil leaks! It's easy to be Dad and want something safe and solid in most circumstances for our kids- it's what we're supposed to do. When I recommended to you about a Subaru, I almost forgot the sheer ecstasy of punching the throttle the first day I got my 65 GTO! Much to my dads chagrin, I was constantly boiling the tires and building the engine. But IT WAS MINE! The passion has faded somewhat thru the other cars, the kid hauling cars and the subsequent Subaru that gets me everywhere and anywhere reliably but that's what my bike and my future teener hot rod is all about- the passion! Congratulations Dad, for keeping your sons fire alive and well- may he manually shift well and safely into his future! driving.gif
rhodyguy
the first 'lessons' start rather quickly.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 15 2014, 12:07 PM) *

Everyones first car has oil leaks- hell, most of our cars have oil leaks!

My 914 doesn't leak oil but it does "sweat" a bit!
jasons
If you haven't been there yet, get familiar with http://www.clarks-garage.com/ I had factory manuals when I owned mine and I think everything (and then some) in the factory manuals is on this site.

Idle issue could be the ISV (Idle Stabilizer Valve)
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-21.htm

Slightly OT.... Another thing to watch, the rear hatches leak water into recesses on the left and right side of the rear cargo area just behind the wheels. Lift the cargo area carpet to inspect. Mine would get full of water after a good storm.
stanthedog
Quote:
ripper, 914's don't make good first vehicles for a driver without a garage to do repairs or a second car as a backup. My son thought otherwise (against my advice) and guess where his sits now - in my driveway!

That's my son's first car, spot on. Guess where his car is- In my garage with the engine on the floor behind it. dry.gif .

Awsome first car, love the looks of the 944.

My daughter's first car was a 79 VW dasher diesel wagon. sunglasses.gif . She could beat the hell out of it and it still was faster than a speeding turtle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.