Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New project:Adapting motorcycle Throttle Bodies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
jhadler
Hey Mike,

Looks pretty slick there!

Are those rubber skirts just adding extra sealing ability? Or are they structural? If they're structural, how will your throttle linkage account for movement of the throttles on the soft mounting?

-Josh2
Brad Roberts
And Josh.. pulls out the only question I had left for Mikey!!

This was my only concern.

I'm a tad confused on all of this.. are the Jenvey's and TWM's really that expensive?

B
jhadler
Sorry there Brad, didn't mean to steal your thunder there... biggrin.gif

I recall that Mike got those TB's out of a junkyard Kawasaki. Super cheap. Granted, the engineering time he's invested is pretty big, but it's his own time...

Be nice if a cheap kit can come of this.

-Josh2
Mueller
QUOTE(jhadler @ Apr 19 2006, 03:40 PM) *

Hey Mike,

Looks pretty slick there!

Are those rubber skirts just adding extra sealing ability? Or are they structural? If they're structural, how will your throttle linkage account for movement of the throttles on the soft mounting?

-Josh2

With electronic throttle actuators, AKA E-throttle, no outside forces to act upon the sealing rings smile.gif

Just kidding smile.gif

I'll be adding a bracket (thought I addressed that earlier, must have been on another thread or site)

Jenvys and TWM are about $800 min. per 4 throat application...this does not include air filters or injectors.

I have enough parts for 2 engines, so far I have an average of $200 into each one with an hour per added (at $5 an hour, hahahaha)

I really don't need these anymore, I just want to finally finish a project without abandoning it screwy.gif

jhadler
Where are you pricing them from? I found TWM's for $500 for the set. Including fuel rails. Of course, that still didn't include linkage or manifolds. And if you already had that stuff, then boneyard parts make a lot more sense.
Mueller
QUOTE(jhadler @ Apr 19 2006, 05:45 PM) *

Where are you pricing them from? I found TWM's for $500 for the set. Including fuel rails. Of course, that still didn't include linkage or manifolds. And if you already had that stuff, then boneyard parts make a lot more sense.

I was going by their "list price".....

$361 X 2 (T/B's)
$173 X 1 (fuel rail kit)
$50 X 4 (air horns)

Right there it is $1095 without injectors or TPS or aircleaners.....

even if I only save a few hundred bucks all together, I'd rather take a few months to spend the money than all at once

Mueller
A little bit more progress....

I only have the one length velocity stack to t/b adapter tubes but it wouldn't be that hard to make a few different lengths.

You can see the overlap that I had to deal with, these are not as pretty as they should be, I screwed up and removed about .100" too much from one...no big deal, I'll figure something out smash.gif

Still struggling with the aircleaner choice, I'll have a better idea once I mock these up on the motor in the car for a clearance check.

Click to view attachment

Mueller
finally worked on them again...all 4 manifolds are machined...now to tackle the linkage and the air cleaners...

Click to view attachment

a little dreaming here mueba.gif

Click to view attachment
Mueller
if you didn't notice, I modified the air-horns...makes the install a little nicer and simpler without the overhang of the original ones...hope you don't mind too much Paul biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
! would love to have those! drooley.gif Nice work Mike! clap56.gif
McMark
Nice work Mike! smiley_notworthy.gif

turboman808
This is a great idea. I have seen it many times on hondas and glad to see it works here as well. At that price I got to wonder why people still want to mess with carbs.

What are you gonna use for engine management?

Also dare I say these stacks look cooler then TWM!!!
spunone
Mike you Hack what did you do to the stacks???? chairfall.gif If ya need a different type let me know ie taller or shorter bigger or smaller.They look great and great job trimming down that can be alittle tricky. thumb3d.gif CYA
Mueller
QUOTE(spunone @ Nov 6 2006, 12:22 PM) *

Mike you Hack what did you do to the stacks???? chairfall.gif If ya need a different type let me know ie taller or shorter bigger or smaller.They look great and great job trimming down that can be alittle tricky. thumb3d.gif CYA

I thought you'd get a kick out of it, hahaha

For trimming them down I made a holder for the base and a large diameter bull nose live center..worked like a charm, took a few minutes per stack...

for machining the manifolds, I got that down to less than 15 minutes per manifold...the setup was a PITA...I'd make a fixture if I was going to do them again which I don't plan on smile.gif

great thing about the CNC is that you can walk away while it's working and do something else.....

I saw the stacks I'm guessing you made for Jake for those aircleaners??....pretty slick and tempting to duplicate (for personal use only Jake smile.gif )

Mueller
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Nov 5 2006, 08:53 PM) *

This is a great idea. I have seen it many times on hondas and glad to see it works here as well. At that price I got to wonder why people still want to mess with carbs.

With these, there are "hidden" costs such as the R&D and then you have to have to proper tools to do the job...it would cost too much if you had to pay a shop to fab all the custom parts needed....

What are you gonna use for engine management?

Link Engine Management

Also dare I say these stacks look cooler then TWM!!!

McMark
Since someone was asking about this project, I thought I'd bring it to the top...
toon1
thank's Mark,

So Mike how's this going??

Any more pics?
Mueller
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jan 16 2007, 11:53 AM) *

thank's Mark,

Any more pics?

Not much progress, I did buy some bicycle shifter cables with sheathing(covering) to start on the linkage, I am going to attempt to use cables instead of hard linkage like normally used.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 16 2007, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(toon1 @ Jan 16 2007, 11:53 AM) *

thank's Mark,

Any more pics?

Not much progress, I did buy some bicycle shifter cables with sheathing(covering) to start on the linkage, I am going to attempt to use cables instead of hard linkage like normally used.

Take a look at the 2-1 snowmobile cable setups...there are alot of them, and they all fit only certain snowmobiles, but how they do it...kinda simple really.

There is one on an aircooled airplane web site also, decent little 2-1 cable system.

Rich
Aaron Cox
look at freestyle BMX bikes...
they have "gyro" which splits the cables from 1 -2 and then 2-1 .... really simple...
r_towle
The problem I had with those are they are inline.

If you try to get it all to fit inside the engine bay, using the stock accel cable to drive the system, you end up having to turn the cables coming out of the gyro, or really any of the inline ones, so much that the friction kills you.

I tried terry cables, special cables from Campagnolia....it was just to much of a turn to have it work...

Eventually I built a thing (Which I am more than happy to ship out Mike...its just collecting dust, and may be a good starting point from a thinking perspective...) that takes in the cable from the accel cable, and using a pulley mounted horizontally produces two cables that are now 90 degrees from the accel cable.

The three I built worked, but I dont have a machine shop, so my tolerences were not close enough to rid myself of the friction...
It was really close, got a few bearings, etc etc...

Then my some took my test mule away.

E-Man
Hi Mike!

Any progress on this front?

I'm looking to go down this path with a 2056 that currently has 44IDFs and full Mallory ignition (Unilite/Hyfire 6AL/Promaster). So far all I've collected is the manifolds. Not sure what TBs to get yet (GSXR 1000s?) or what controller (SDS probably; fuel only).

-Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.