Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New project:Adapting motorcycle Throttle Bodies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Site
I'm eagerly following this. Is there anything new to report on using the throttle bodies?
Site
Is anyone doing custom work with individual throttle bodies?
Mueller
QUOTE(Site @ Oct 31 2005, 02:59 PM)
Is anyone doing custom work with individual throttle bodies?

If you do a google search, you might find the few sites showing adapting motorcycle t/b's to a 911 (not sure if completed or not), a few Hondas and at least one Neon

no progress to report on mine....
Terrance
Hehe, first time I saw this thread.

Mike - Love the vintage, circa 1988 radio headphones

user posted image lol2.gif
Aaron Cox
mike - you give up on this?
Mueller
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 31 2005, 06:05 PM)
mike - you give up on this?

nope, still going to do it, just other projects ahead of this one....1st priority is getting my car running better, then the brakes , then ???? and then the throttle bodies smash.gif
Mueller
been a while since I've touched these parts...so this weekend* I'll be machining the manifolds by removing the material in red and cutting 2 pockets for the T/Bs to slip/rest into

once placed inside, I shall weld the T/Bs to the manifold, only negative things I can think of is that due to the manifold design, long studs will have to be used and installation of the T/B-manifold assembly to a motor already in the car might be a PITA

*(unless someone can give me a good proven reason not to smile.gif )

Aaron Cox
why weld them on? bolt on or clamp on would be THE hot tip....
speedster356
I have heard that the original motorcycle mounting is the same bolt spacing as an IDF? I mate has used a set of Suzuki Hyabusa bodies on his Alfa 2.0ltr powered sports car with great success.
Mueller
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 24 2006, 02:50 PM)
why weld them on? bolt on or clamp on would be THE hot tip....

no real reason for bolt-on or clamp on....usually attachment methods like that are for "universal" or more than one type of application (the manifold accepts a weber, a dell(?) or off the shelf throttle bodies such as Jenvey or TWM's)

doing it this way will just means that this assembly will only work with a Type IV motor (1.7/1.8 or 2.0 heads)

The TB's shouldn't need to be removed from the manifold, wrong size TB?? Well, sell these and buy new ones...manifolds are $50 to $80 per pair, not that big of a deal....

Even "if" the TB's need rebuilding down the line, they can still be taken apart..........
rick 918-S
QUOTE(speedster356 @ Mar 24 2006, 02:45 PM)
I have heard that the original motorcycle mounting is the same bolt spacing as an IDF? I mate has used a set of Suzuki Hyabusa bodies on his Alfa 2.0ltr powered sports car with great success.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(speedster356 @ Mar 24 2006, 03:45 PM)

could be...it seems there is a "standard" 90mm bore to bore spacing for a lot of the throttle bodies
Mueller
progress today...I decided no welding or brazing and no adapter plate....

I simply machined the top of the manifold and will attach the throttle body directly to it with a hose and clamp...this is a similar method to how the t/bs are held on on the motorcycle
Mueller
with hose section
Aaron Cox
nicely done mike!

why did you choose the "shorty manifolds" over CB talls etc???
Mueller
the hose clamp is a special clamp which is used in turbocharger applications, it has a true 360° hold on the hose....it's on there pretty darn tight, I'll still add a bracket to align each t/b to on another on a common manifold.

Mueller
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 1 2006, 11:54 PM)
nicely done mike!

why did you choose the "shorty manifolds" over CB talls etc???

These are what I had, didn't know there are different options for the manifolds...oh yea, the cut is offset from the inlet on purpose, this matches the throttle body and allows the fuel injector to spray directly at the intake valve like the factory setup....it's a little further away, but I think it'll be fine...
DNHunt
Very cool Mike. That sure looks like fun.

Dave
rick 918-S
Very cool Mike! cool_shades.gif Were watching you.. cool_shades.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Apr 2 2006, 05:38 AM)
Very cool Mike. That sure looks like fun.

Dave

thanks....hard part is not tracking the "chips" back into the house unsure.gif
Porcharu
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 2 2006, 11:19 AM)

Hey Mike - is your CNC mill up and running now or are you still just jogging around with the keyboard?
Mueller
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Apr 2 2006, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 2 2006, 11:19 AM)

Hey Mike - is your CNC mill up and running now or are you still just jogging around with the keyboard?

full CNC operation(old PC running DOS program .....TurboCNC)....my G-code programming sucks, I have BobCAD which is kicking my tail trying to learn it...these cuts made with SimpleCNC
jsteele22
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 1 2006, 11:52 PM)
with hose section

Glad to see this project coming back to life !

Just out of curiosity, what is that little hole in the outer side of the manifold ?
Mueller
QUOTE(jsteele22 @ Apr 2 2006, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 1 2006, 11:52 PM)
with hose section

Glad to see this project coming back to life !

Just out of curiosity, what is that little hole in the outer side of the manifold ?

the plug is for a vac. fitting
JmuRiz
Sweet, was waiting on a update for this, looks good.
tdsmoonchild
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 3 2006, 08:10 AM)
Sweet, was waiting on a update for this, looks good.

agree.gif

Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Aaron Cox
Mike,

since the TB's are not rigid mounted, how do you plan to do a linkage between them? seems it will be pretty hard to sync if they are free to move up and down a little.....
jonwatts
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 3 2006, 06:33 AM)
Mike,

since the TB's are not rigid mounted, how do you plan to do a linkage between them? seems it will be pretty hard to sync if they are free to move up and down a little.....

I think he's going to add a bracket. Plus he's using a hose but it's so short there's only one clamp so I can see it being pretty tight. Hey Mike, is there enough material on the TB and manifold to machine it down for a V-band clamp? Then you wouldn't need to use the short hose at all.

I'll still add a bracket to align each t/b to on another on a common manifold.
Porcharu
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 2 2006, 01:09 PM)
.....TurboCNC)....my G-code programming sucks, I have BobCAD which is kicking my tail trying to learn it...these cuts made with SimpleCNC

I had the demo version of Bobcad - that thing is a bear to learn. More like a learning cliff than curve.
Mueller
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Apr 3 2006, 07:57 AM)
Hey Mike, is there enough material on the TB and manifold to machine it down for a V-band clamp? Then you wouldn't need to use the short hose at all.

looked into it....I already bought the hose ($16 per ft), and don't want to spend too much time and effort on these...

here is them mounted on one side of the motor....

I screwed up, these manifolds are for 2.0 3-bolt heads...my motor is a 1.8 with 4-bolt heads, anyone want to buy these?? smile.gif

(2.0 head in picture is thrashed beyond repair and for mock up use)
Mueller
ugly, but it'll work.....
thesey914
mike, surely those manifolds have what looks like the bosses for the 4 stud 1.7/1.8 heads. You just have to drill them.
Leo Imperial
YES!!!
I have got to get those.
I am in the middle of working on the injectors on my 2.0
and have been debating making an attempt at this for a few days.
I will be the the 1st to say "Deal or no deal?"
bernbomb914
mike if you dont sell these to Leo let me know what you will charge for the whole system

Bernie
Mueller
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Apr 3 2006, 05:12 PM)
mike if you dont sell these to Leo let me know what you will charge for the whole system

Bernie

I'm going to have 2 complete systems for sale since I doubt I'm going to use 1 due to my turbo install which would be easier with a conventional plenum/single T/B design.....
DanT
Mike,
Pardon me, I am going to show my total ignorance here. These are a great idea....but what FI system are you going to be using them with?
Would this setup work with a stock injection?

Nomex is now on.... welder.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Apr 3 2006, 10:51 PM)
Mike,
Pardon me, I am going to show my total ignorance here. These are a great idea....but what FI system are you going to be using them with?

imguessing MS or SDS
SirAndy
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Apr 3 2006, 01:27 PM)
I am in the middle of working on the injectors on my 2.0
and have been debating making an attempt at this for a few days.

how about a set of those?

and to plug myself shamelessly, i do have a set for sale in the classifieds ...
biggrin.gif Andy
redshift
QUOTE(bondo @ Jan 21 2005, 06:43 PM)
Mueller: What are all of your projects? You seem to have quite a few... Will they all fit in one post? lol2.gif poke.gif

They won't even fit on a 914!

hahaha

M
fiid
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Apr 3 2006, 09:51 PM)
Mike,

It almost certainly won't work with stock injection since the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) profile will almost certainly be different due to the short intake runner and lack of intake plenum.

Sorry! It ought to work well with a megasquirt though - although might require some cleverness to get it to work well....
neo914-6
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 3 2006, 09:44 PM)
I'm going to have 2 complete systems for sale since I doubt I'm going to use 1 due to my turbo install which would be easier with a conventional plenum/single T/B design.....

Mike,

Found an engineer/fabricator in Alviso, maybe time for lunch again...

Check out his turboed bug:
2110 Turbo VW engine
New fully prep VW race case
Cima Pistons
Straight cut gears
MSD Ignition
Forged 82mm stroker crank
T3 RayJay Turbo Charger
Bugpack Stroker Rods
Street Eliminator Heads 42X37
Camshaft 298X515
Kennedy 2500lb clutch W/4 puc Feramic disc
Large Oil Cooler
Doghouse Fan Shroud
Horsepower 300 @ 18 psi boost
42mm Dellorto side draft
Mueller
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Apr 3 2006, 10:51 PM)
Mike,

Dan, to be used with aftermarket FI such as Megasquirt or Link FI/ignition* or Electromotive..........

*this is what I have on the car right now
Mueller
A big thank you to non-member SpunOne pray.gif

He made these spun aluminum velocity stacks for my throttle bodies...

As you can see there is some overlap which is okay, I'll mill off the offending material and butt weld the 2 together. For my applications, I doubt I'd be able to tell or notice any negative effects from doing this.

Oh yea....one stack tried to "escape"...and got "squished" underneath my Hyundia alfred.gif ...luckly Paul made 9 blink.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
spunone
WHOOOOAAAAA glad ya got the extra one .Hope they work for ya
spunone
WOW those are some really nice lookin stacks chairfall.gif av-943.gif if I must say so myself. Can't wait to see it all togeather good luck smash.gif
maf914
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Apr 3 2006, 12:48 PM) *

mike, surely those manifolds have what looks like the bosses for the 4 stud 1.7/1.8 heads. You just have to drill them.

That's what I thought , too. Just like the CB Performance manifolds that Andy shows in his photo. Those work with both three and four bolt heads. idea.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(maf914 @ Apr 19 2006, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(thesey914 @ Apr 3 2006, 12:48 PM) *

That's what I thought , too. Just like the CB Performance manifolds that Andy shows in his photo. Those work with both three and four bolt heads. idea.gif

there was an aluminum plug that popped right out with a little smash.gif
Brad Roberts
Umm. Mike, you used a some rair Solex manifolds.

Looks cool. How many hours are in it right now?

B
Mueller
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 19 2006, 01:10 PM) *

Umm. Mike, you used a some rare Solex manifolds.

really?? oh well, I didn't pay much for them smile.gif

Looks cool. How many hours are in it right now?

just a few hours, not a complete waste of time, I'm also learning to better program my mill with this project

B

michel richard
overlapping stacks are very cool. Some 356 had them.

Michel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.