Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improving dash light brightness?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
barefoot
4 different bulb holders, 2 bulb styles & new LED options:

Click to view attachment

Left to right:
spade remote ground, spade case ground, bayonet remote ground, bayonet case ground
New LED lamp for spade holder, 3 OEM bulbs

My Hi beam indicator lamp was barely visible even at night, now with new LED lamp, visible in daylight. Same lamp used in combo gage for backlighting, now brighter smile.gif
Purchased from Amazon

Prior post shows LED lamps for the larger bayonet mount, which i hadn't seen before my quest for brighter lighting.

Also got new LED lamps for Rear tail light outer most positions, same size fits rear trunk housing.

Click to view attachment

VaccaRabite
I did the LED lights in the guage cluster ages ago and they really help.
One thing they do not do is DIM.

When you turn the headlight switch the gauge lights are supposed to dim. The LED bulbs just turn off. After you forget this, and then bump the headlight switch with your knee one day, it will cause you to spend a few hours chasing wiring before you figure out why all your dash lights just died.

Or... that's what i've been told...

Zach
barefoot
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 5 2020, 11:39 AM) *

When you turn the headlight switch the gauge lights are supposed to dim. The LED bulbs just turn off. After you forget this, and then bump the headlight switch with your knee one day, it will cause you to spend a few hours chasing wiring before you figure out why all your dash lights just died.

Zach

My new LED lamps for instrument backlighting DO dim with with the headlight switch rotation.

Before installation, I tested them with either terminal positive and they worked either way.
bbrock
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 5 2020, 09:39 AM) *

Zach

I came across this thread a couple years ago while snooping around and filed it away in my brain to try sometime. Looks pretty slick. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=103294&hl=
drem914
QUOTE(barefoot @ Oct 5 2020, 07:31 AM) *

Left to right:
spade remote ground, spade case ground, bayonet remote ground, bayonet case ground
My Hi beam indicator lamp was barely visible even at night, now with new LED lamp, visible in daylight. Same lamp used in combo gage for backlighting, now brighter smile.gif
Purchased from Amazon
Prior post shows LED lamps for the larger bayonet mount, which i hadn't seen before my quest for brighter lighting.

Do you have a listing for the colored spade bulbs you bought off Amazon?
Were the ba7 lts. 2 watt LEDs?
I have already swapped my bulbs previously for the single chip LEDs before they made the more powerful ones so I wanted to change the colored lts at the same time.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
barefoot
QUOTE(drem914 @ Feb 27 2021, 04:10 PM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Oct 5 2020, 07:31 AM) *

Left to right:
Purchased from Amazon

Do you have a listing for the colored spade bulbs you bought off Amazon?
Were the ba7 lts. 2 watt LEDs?
I have already swapped my bulbs previously for the single chip LEDs before they made the more powerful ones so I wanted to change the colored lts at the same time.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

here you go :

DODOFUN High Bright White T5 37 74 PC74 PC37 LED Bulb with Twist Lock Socket for Dashboard Instrument Panel Gauge Cluster Light and Map Vanity Mirror Glove Box Indicator Light
bandjoey
Just Do it the right way
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=217100
triple the light you can do with bulbs.
Spoke
QUOTE(barefoot @ Oct 6 2020, 05:49 PM) *

My new LED lamps for instrument backlighting DO dim with with the headlight switch rotation.

Before installation, I tested them with either terminal positive and they worked either way.

@barefoot

Can you expand on how these LEDs can be dimmed with the OEM headlight rheostat?
drem914
QUOTE(barefoot @ Feb 28 2021, 03:57 PM) *

here you go :

DODOFUN High Bright White T5 37 74 PC74 PC37 LED Bulb with Twist Lock Socket for Dashboard Instrument Panel Gauge Cluster Light and Map Vanity Mirror Glove Box Indicator Light

Thanks,
drem914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 28 2021, 04:12 PM) *

Just Do it the right way
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=217100
triple the light you can do with bulbs.

I will do that after I try with these more powerful LEDs for $20 (200 LM each vs 50 LM in the original LED bulb swap from Carmagic and 914Rubber.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FR4FSW...ORAEU&psc=1

914werke
I had the opportunity to use the products from carmagic (both LEDs & trim rings) & had a less that favorable experience from both the products & the customer service. FYI
bandjoey
My reason for using Tim's service is for a completely illuminated gauge. Look at the bulb placement now...see dark areas not illuminated? it'll still be the same with LED's. Brighter LEDs don't spread into the entire gauge imho
Steve
QUOTE(bluhun @ Aug 21 2014, 10:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Aug 21 2014, 11:21 PM) *

Hey all,

My one (and only) complaint with my 914 is that the dash lights are very faint and very hard to see at night (speedometer, etc.).

Someone told me that brighter LED bulbs are available. Is that correct? If so, can someone provide me with:

1. What bulbs?
2. What source to buy them?
3. How many do I need?
4. Are they direct replacements (i.e. no other modifications need to install them)
5. To replace them, do I take out the 5 or so screws on the dash faceplate to access them?

Thanks, guys!

The bulbs, designation BA7s-W, can be obtained from superbrightleds.com http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/ba9s-ba7s/

I bought a pack of 15, which is plenty to replace all of the incandescent bulbs in the
instrument cluster. They are direct plug-ins. Their is no need to remove any screws. Just pull the gauges directly out from the instrument cluster, remove the light receptacles from the rear of the gauges, remove the incandescent bulbs and replace with the LEDs.

It makes a huge difference in illumination.

This is what i did for my car. The bulbs are direct replacement. I had to take off my steering wheel to pull the gauges. The only downside is the bulbs are not brightness adjustable, but the brightness is just right, so I wouldn't want to adjust them anyway.
I only did the illumination bulbs. I left the stock bulbs for the idiot lights. I also have quite a stash of 914 parts, so I was able to change all the illumination bulb holders to the BA7 type.
drem914
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 1 2021, 01:42 PM) *

This is what i did for my car. The bulbs are direct replacement. I had to take off my steering wheel to pull the gauges. The only downside is the bulbs are not brightness adjustable, but the brightness is just right, so I wouldn't want to adjust them anyway.
I only did the illumination bulbs. I left the stock bulbs for the idiot lights. I also have quite a stash of 914 parts, so I was able to change all the illumination bulb holders to the BA7 type.

@Steve that's good to hear since the BA7 bulbs I found on amazon are supposed to be 200LM and the BA9 you swapped out for are listed at 150LM. The lower powered LEDS provided by carmagic and 914Ruber are listed for 50LM so I will be curious to see how the swap goes. I did them a few years back, it was a relatively easy swap, but not a big boost in brightness.

drem914
QUOTE(drem914 @ Mar 1 2021, 03:01 PM) *
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 1 2021, 01:42 PM) *
@Steve that's good to hear since the BA7 bulbs I found on amazon are supposed to be 200LM and the BA9 you swapped out for are listed at 150LM. The lower powered LEDS provided by carmagic and 914Ruber are listed for 50LM so I will be curious to see how the swap goes. I did them a few years back, it was a relatively easy swap, but not a big boost in brightness.

Okay, so here is the result.
(brightness with shop lights on in the garage directly overhead)

Click to view attachment

and lights off except for running lights
(Spokeworks LED front European style turn signals. They are bright enough to use them a driving lights.)

Click to view attachment
I did not take a photo before. I should have to show the huge difference. I'll have to see if I have a before shot somewhere.
50lm vs 200lm, I would say so.

I found these on amazon
BA7 LED bulbs

They come in a 10 pack for about $22.

I will have to see how long they last. I was going to change the colored bulbs also, but so far what I have not seen any reason.

The only downside to this is I now I cannot find one of my steering wheel screws.headbang.gif
I'll have to look during the day and see where it has run off to.
R Dub
QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 1 2021, 01:52 PM) *

I had the opportunity to use the products from carmagic (both LEDs & trim rings) & had a less that favorable experience from both the products & the customer service. FYI

I used Carmagic LEDs for my gauges as Timothy was backed up. So this was a cheap and easy alternative. I am quite happy with the results and customer service. Are they as bright as a LED strip? Heck no. Do they look as cool as a LED strip? Heck no. Are they way better than stock? Of God yes!

Sorry you had a poor experience with them though
drem914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 21 2014, 11:46 PM) *

No direct replacements that I know of. You can take the gauges apart and put LED strips inside. You can build a timer circuit to flicker them to make them seem dimer or brighter.

Or, you can:
- Clean all ground connections for the gauge lights
- Clean all power connections from the battery, to the ignition switch, to the headlight switch, to the dimmer, to the lights
- Replace the bulbs with new ones
- Clean the glass in the gauge
- Re-paint the inside of the gauge to reflect the light around better

Each of the above should help a bit. When all done together, you'll have lights that are OK but not super bright.

--DD

Well, Now there are.

Click to view attachment
barefoot
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 28 2021, 08:31 PM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Oct 6 2020, 05:49 PM) *

@barefoot

Can you expand on how these LEDs can be dimmed with the OEM headlight rheostat?

Didn't do anything, they just worked. I can send you a few to try as i got more than needed.

Barefoot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.