Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving the limo - $1500 to ship it.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
McMark
PM Rick for donation details

Hey guys!

In between cleaning up from the earthquake I needed to start a process on getting the limo to Minnesota. Dr Evil had expressed and interest in the project but my landlord has put his foot down. So our previous timeline doesn't match up anymore. I need to make it disappear fast. Rick can take the chassis, but can't drive out here to get it.

So since this is being built as a 'community car' we thought we'd see if we can get it moved with a little help from our friends. I'm hoping that someone can manage the research (contact shipper and get price) and hopefully we can get a few people to help us out. I've got $150 to drop in the pot to get it moved. But first things first lets get a price and a timeline together.

If you're interested in leading the charge PM rick to coordinate. My shop address is on my web site. Thanks guys!
SirAndy
Does it fit on a normal car trailer or do we need a special transport?
idea.gif
McMark
Should fit on a normal trailer.
rick 918-S
It's true. The limo is coming to Area51Werks. There will be a cost associated with the move that I really can't absorb right now. I just hauled my trailer out to Oregon to get a parts car for the 6. Gas was over $ 4.00 a gal out west. screwy.gif

Upon my return I started a real job as a field claims rep and now have no time to fetch it.

So it's time to get creative and have a good old fund raiser.

Option 1. Someone with nothing but time on their hands could put it on their trailer and volunteer to haul it out. I don't hold much hope for that happening. But hey I needed to toss it out there.

The second option is for someone to host a pay pal account we can donate to.

When it reaches MN. I'll see if I can host a build party like the ones that happened out west.

So, Sir Andy? "you got pay pal" Maybe our banker friend Rob?
Mblizzard
I will chip in for that!
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 26 2014, 03:49 PM) *
So, Sir Andy? "you got pay pal"

I don't do PayPal, sorry ...
sad.gif

ben*james
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 26 2014, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 26 2014, 03:49 PM) *
So, Sir Andy? "you got pay pal"

I don't do PayPal, sorry ...
sad.gif

I'd assist. Have paypal account and handling money is my business.
Hank914
I can chip in a bit as well...maybe $25 up to $50... Not a lot, but if we get 50 people to do the same, it starts to add up.

And I love the limo idea. IMHO, limo-afacation is the ultimate accolade of a vehicle. Yes, the Town Car and Hummer limo designs are all the rage, but those were more for the limo operators to make a bigger buck much faster.

This is counter-buck-making! This is making a limo-914 just because it needs to be done! The 914-limo will show that the Porsche 914 has truly arrived into it's rightousness place of honor!

And.... Has anybody ever seen a Porsche 911 limo?
Of any vintage?
A '60s 911-limo?
A '70's narrow-body 911-limo?
A '80's whale tail 911-limo?
I have never seen one. Not a one.

This Porsche 914-limo needs to be finished!
Even if it takes longer than the Blackhorse Monument!!

I'm in, are you?
rick 918-S
Great Start. Now, anyone have a connection to a shipper? Like I said, I just took a real job. I'm sitting in an office all day now in training. type.gif

Anyone want to source a shipper?

Mark can you measure the cars length?

My address is 2328 Woodland Ave. Duluth, MN. 55803 for an ending point.

The other option is to maybe have it shipped to Minneapolis and I could rent a tow dolly to fetch it. That would be a cheaper option. Maybe find a shipper that has a terminal in the metro.

balljoint
Just a thought here but what about a relay?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(balljoint @ Aug 27 2014, 06:46 AM) *

Just a thought here but what about a relay?

That's a cool idea! Any volunteers?
arkitect
McMark,
Did your shop get damaged from the earthquake or loosing your lease is why your moving the limo? If moving where is your new spot?

Rick,
When you get it there is the plan to complete it at your place? How does Dr. Evil fit into it all?

I want to see it complete, would help in the cost. Also would like to see in person one day.

Dave sad.gif
r_towle
Awesome idea.
If someone sets up a paypal account, I will contribute 100 buck to get it to mr Rick....cause Rick NEEDS another crazy project in his life....

rich
Chris H.
I'll throw some in to the donation pot. How long is that sucker? They always charge more for a non-up but as long as it's not TOO long it shouldn't be that bad. You don't care how quickly it gets there and you don't care if its covered, so what are we looking at... $1500-$2k ish?

It will be HILARIOUS if there are viral photos of it traversing the US on the interweb.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 27 2014, 09:10 AM) *

It will be HILARIOUS if there are viral photos of it traversing the US on the interweb.

I agree! It would have to be an open trailer just for the public's shock value! biggrin.gif
McMark
QUOTE(arkitect @ Aug 27 2014, 05:22 AM) *
McMark,
Did your shop get damaged from the earthquake or loosing your lease is why your moving the limo? If moving where is your new spot?

No damage, no lost lease. Just can't have cars parked outside anymore and don't have time to actually finish it. Too many customer projects to spend time on fun projects.
messix
could it be flat towed with a tow bar?

if so I might be able to get it from Portland area to seattle area
Mike Bellis
I'll pitch in too. I've already put some sweat equity into this car. smile.gif
scotty b
This is an epic car and it requires an epic move. Panama Canal. Think about it beerchug.gif
messix
^^^^^ he needs to use the respirator more often !

shades.gif
FourBlades

I am in for $50 donation to get this going again!

I don't live anywhere in between but the relay idea would be cool.

Maybe with a shirt sporting stop over locations...

I probably also have parts to donate once it gets to Rick.

John
Cairo94507
Hey this is a cool idea; I am in for $50 just tell me who to PP it too. beerchug.gif
JRust
I'd say if the Limo got to my house in Oregon. I could tow it to Red Rocks in a couple weeks. Although that would mean driving a gas hog over my 36mpg car. I really can't afford the extra it would cost. Plus it would need to get to my place. Then somehow get to Ricks from Red Rocks. I can't say I'm to excited about it. I'd rather kick in some for shipping it smile.gif
rick 918-S
Were taking Sandy's 914 to the RRC. Not a good tow vehicle.

I'll try to research a shipper. I have a few emails yet from when I was trying to get the roller I purchased in OR.
JStroud
Mark, if you need to get that gone before you can arrange shipping we can store it at my house.

Rick, if shipping is cheaper from the Sacramento area, I'm about 15min south of sac. Right off hwy 99. We could also bring it here to ship out if that works better.

Jeff
SirAndy
I'll be more than happy to add to the fund, i really want to see this thing going to a good home!
cheer.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 28 2014, 09:14 AM) *

I'll be more than happy to add to the fund, i really want to see this thing going to a good home!
cheer.gif

So Drevil ISN'T getting it then confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 28 2014, 10:41 AM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 28 2014, 09:14 AM) *
cheer.gif
So Drevil ISN'T getting it then confused24.gif

Your idea of good does not match my idea of good. But you already knew that ...
biggrin.gif
timothy_nd28
What about a 3rd option? confused24.gif

Tossing in a engine/transaxle/fuel tank and driving it under its own power to the destination? It wouldn't have to be pretty

One last working party?
JStroud
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 28 2014, 12:19 PM) *

What about a 3rd option? confused24.gif

Tossing in a engine/transaxle/fuel tank and driving it under its own power to the destination? It wouldn't have to be pretty

One last working party?

I don't know if you've actually seen the limo, but last time I saw it, it was nowhere near that point.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Hi: Again:

I haven't around much lately ,At 76 it seems like everything that can go wrong

Medically has in the last yr. and a half. Matter of fact this is the only time I have

posted here in the

last 8 months or so, I must have been called by the 914 God to log in to night.

To the problem a hand, I can contribute ,1 freshly REBUILT CLOCK for the 914

Center console ( It was rebuilt by our member " CORY SHEPHERD " I have $ 90.00

in it ,need get that out of it , but all over that will go to the limo project !

Please don't ask for a pic. camera Is broke and so is the computers ability to send

pictures and a I don't have the MONEY to get them fixed ! I have been a member

since the 914 World was started. member # 135 That would be

2000 or so. So high bidder as of Sun. Morning ,Sept 1 st at 6:00 Am gets it.

can Pay pal OR YOUR CHECK !!! Bid High and Often

Eastern Standard Daylight Saving time get it. I will donate all monies I receive from

this. Dave Kimple AKA BARBER DAVE bid high and often
rick 918-S
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Aug 28 2014, 05:41 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Hi: Again:

I haven't around much lately ,At 76 it seems like everything that can go wrong

Medically has in the last yr. and a half. Matter of fact this is the only time I have

posted here in the

last 8 months or so, I must have been called by the 914 God to log in to night.

To the problem a hand, I can contribute ,1 freshly REBUILT CLOCK for the 914

Center console ( It was rebuilt by our member " CORY SHEPHERD " I have $ 90.00

in it ,need get that out of it , but all over that will go to the limo project !

Please don't ask for a pic. camera Is broke and so is the computers ability to send

pictures and a I don't have the MONEY to get them fixed ! I have been a member

since the 914 World was started. member # 135 That would be

2000 or so. So high bidder as of Sun. Morning ,Sept 1 st at 6:00 Am gets it.

can Pay pal OR YOUR CHECK !!! Bid High and Often

Eastern Standard Daylight Saving time get it. I will donate all monies I receive from

this. Dave Kimple AKA BARBER DAVE bid high and often

Hi Dave!

What an awesome idea!

it's is always a special day when I see you post. Keep putting one foot in front of the other. If you can't do it fast, do it slow. Just go go go! smilie_pokal.gif
Eric_Shea
Just checked my fuel costs from SLC to NAPA to Duluth and back with the F250 and PMB trailer. Right around $2,200. blink.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 28 2014, 08:55 PM) *

Just checked my fuel costs from SLC to NAPA to Duluth and back with the F250 and PMB trailer. Right around $2,200. blink.gif

Wow
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 28 2014, 05:55 PM) *

wacko.gif
Larmo63
Get it somewhat running and do a Thelma and Louise deal with tons of video!!!!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 28 2014, 07:55 PM) *

Are you volunteering if we raise the cash? biggrin.gif

McMark
I can bring it to SLC.
EdwardBlume
The Limo is cool and necessary.

Mark and Andy did a lot to push it forward and the baton needs to be passed to someone (Rick) and others (You?) that are just crazy, stupid, talented to see it done.

If you want to kick in, PM me. I'll give you instructions on how to send funds.

CptTripps
I'm more excited about spending a few days working on this, than I am on finishing my car.

Or...as DrEvil would put it. "Look! Squirrel!"

I'm happy to help donate to get it to Rick.
rick 918-S
Ok guys, Thanks for all the interest and offers. We can't make any headway without a target. I got the first bid from a crazy guy from FL. He used to be a 914 guy and backed it up by talking the talk.

My commitment is to provide you the very best transport value possible.
As a reminder, the price estimate to ship your 1973 Porsche 914 LIMO from Sonoma, CA to Duluth, MN is $1,495. I am here to serve you and make your vehicle transport as convenient and simple as possible. Please call me today to discuss your transport needs.

I asked about a second option because McMark said he could get it to SLC.

I asked him to price it from SLC to MPLS where I could pick it up. He told me it would be like $ 200.00 less but didn't send the quote.

He also said he may be able to do it cheaper too which leads me to believe we could make them an offer.

So, this is where were at. Mark burger.gif has to move it and I am willing to take it north. assimilate.gif

Rob set up an account and is ready to handle donations. He's a banker and a founding member. So if your up for it send him a message.

He will keep a running total and post the progress.

Let the games begin! first.gif
Chris H.
PM sent!

That price doesn't seem bad at all. It'd be WAY more than $200 in gas for someone to haul it all that way to SLC and drive the hauler back. Might as well start from Sonoma.

Whatever's left over Rick could keep for limo parts and supplies. Or for a cover to hide it when your friends come over w00t.gif av-943.gif !
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 29 2014, 06:14 PM) *
That price doesn't seem bad at all. It'd be WAY more than $200 in gas for someone to haul it all that way to SLC and drive the hauler back. Might as well start from Sonoma.

agree.gif
McMark
Awesome. Saves me a couple days. Once the info is up I'm in. This is gonna work out well.
rick 918-S
When I talked to Rob he told me he was taking the kids in the motor home for the holiday. He may have wifi in that rid but if he doesn't reply right away you'll know why.
EdwardBlume
I'm home after all. I replied to folks this PM. Rick has the coordinates now too if you want to PM him as well. Thx
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 24 2014, 08:54 PM) *

Hey guys!

In between cleaning up from the earthquake I needed to start a process on getting the limo to Minnesota. Dr Evil had expressed and interest in the project but my landlord has put his foot down. So our previous timeline doesn't match up anymore. I need to make it disappear fast. Rick can take the chassis, but can't drive out here to get it.

So since this is being built as a 'community car' we thought we'd see if we can get it moved with a little help from our friends. I'm hoping that someone can manage the research (contact shipper and get price) and hopefully we can get a few people to help us out. I've got $150 to drop in the pot to get it moved. But first things first lets get a price and a timeline together.

If you're interested in leading the charge PM rick to coordinate. My shop address is on my web site. Thanks guys!

I'll match McMark... $150
smj
Small donation sent (out of work). Thanks for handling the funds, RobW.
rick 918-S
Cool! it's started! biggrin.gif
r_towle
What is the PP address?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.