Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Input on current market values
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Pages: 1, 2
Beeliner
Congratulations!

I drove my 75 300 plus miles this week.
Make sure you enjoy yours, you do have 'wiggle room' on mileage.

Replace you original spare and tire if you might ever need and use the spare. Your original tire may look good, but will blow to kingdom come at speed.

Store it for your estate/heirs to deal with after you take the big exit ramp.

914Next
QUOTE(Beeliner @ Sep 18 2014, 10:23 PM) *

Congratulations!

I drove my 75 300 plus miles this week.
Make sure you enjoy yours, you do have 'wiggle room' on mileage.

Replace you original spare and tire if you might ever need and use the spare. Your original tire may look good, but will blow to kingdom come at speed.

Store it for your estate/heirs to deal with after you take the big exit ramp.

Thanks. Good suggestion on the spare. I'll do that. As for mileage I will drive it although I suspect not as much as I might hope. Too many cars and no time...that translates to far too few miles on them but I enjoy them just the same.
914runnow
QUOTE(914Next @ Sep 15 2014, 07:23 PM) *

Update....talking with the owner again. Nice guy. We're much closer on price now but we're still not quite there. Good news is that we're now talking in the low 30's. I know for some of you that will seem like an outrageous price for a 914....I agree but If the car is as described (many pics and documents to support the condition) then there just are not that many left.

Bit of history: bought new by a doc in July '73. Appearance group car. Bahia red, 44k original miles documented with paperwork. Copies of all original selling paperwork except the window sticker. All original paint, glass, interior, fuchs wheels (including original unused spare wheel and tire), original tools, jack, radio, carpet and mats. Interior is excellent. OEM dated replacement muffler (date '86). Engine has never been touched (original hoses), nor has trans. No rust although a dusting of surface rust in hell hole. Original battery tray with very slight rust. No rust at all in trunks. Rockers still riveted on. Would love to look under those but the car is so clean that I'm fairly confident that there is no need to drill the rivets out. I'm going to decide on my final price by tomorrow. Great car...Just not sure I am comfortable at his very top end of the market. I also know I'll regret letting this beauty get away.

Welllll put my .02 in a bit ago..
here is a new update on some family news...
my wifes nephew just recently purchased from his uncle a 73 2.0 loaded..
w/AC....my bro in law had it concour ready..
so the nephew took it to 2 local concours and won hands down....
at BOTH events was offered 40g straight away for it....2 different people...

No Name >..But a PCA guru saw it and was Gaga over it..his plan is to get the
few parts he needs to have a 250 point car.....(really)..
so I know all these people with the 20 to 25 g mentality....on the 4 cyl cars..
need to let it go.....this is a original car and 2 owner..he is the third....
Cali it's entire life...and 47500 on the odo......sooooo there yah go..
and very good luck on your current deal making!!
914Next
Well the 914 is officially paid in full an on the truck, heading this way. Not yet sure when it will arrive. Pretty excited to finally see it!

scotty b
congratulations !! beerchug.gif
Ferenc
I second that congratulations! (Though I'm the dancing banana who already congratulated you earlier.)

A few stray thoughts to share. Everybody take 'em or leave 'em as you choose:

First, I think you made a terrific purchase. It may have seemed pricey today, but next year it won't. In five years it'll seem like a steal. In ten years people will be waxing nostalgic about the good old days when you could pick up a low-miles 914 in great condition for ONLY in the low 30k range. A decade from now, the same people insisting today that your car should only be 20 to 25k will be the same people saying that it should only be a 100k car.

I speak from experience. Every classic car for which I ever paid what was then top dollar or slightly more is now worth twice or three times what I paid. In the case of my 300SL roadster, it's now worth FIVE TIMES what I paid for it ten years ago. People would kill to buy one in superb condition for what it cost me then. I'm not bragging or claiming prescience. Believe me, if I'd known, I'd have leveraged my finances and bought a fleet of the darn things. I'd currently be retiring on the drip-feed of high end auction sales. (Yes, I know the bubble may burst. But if it does, it'll mean a financial collapse worse than what happened in 2008. And in that case, we'll all have far greater things to worry about than what our hobby cars are worth.)

Second, I'm puzzled by the people who approach any car equation using only the calculus of dollars and cents. It's as if they don't consider a car to be a good one unless there's some screaming deal to be had, or unless the money equation balances in their favor somehow. I feel sorry for those folks because for them it's only about those dollars and cents and not about the pleasure gained by owning something wonderful and beloved and unique. In other words, they don't seem to really understand the love affair a driver can have with a car.

Going back to what I said earlier: Back when I bought the cars I own now (six of them, for the record), I paid top dollar or slightly more not because of any financial calculus. I did it because I've always loved those cars, I wanted to own them, and I wanted the best examples I could find. The appreciation in values that they have generated is merely a sidebar to my ownership experience. A happy sidebar, but a sidebar nonetheless.

The few classics that I'm buying today? Same thing: Top dollar or slightly more for the best low-miles examples I can find. Why? Because I love them and want to own and drive them, and I'm lucky enough to be able to afford that. I'm really not worried about what someone else might think about whether I overpaid or got a good deal. I assume you can likewise afford your purchase, so I urge you to likewise not care if it appeared to be a bargain in someone else's eyes.

With a purchase like yours, the money equation will balance in your favor. All it takes is time, more people wishing to own, and fewer excellent examples on the road.

Long story short: Good for you, and I hope you get tremendous pleasure out of driving it!
funk
realistically 30 large plus or minus?? what do all of the mechanics records say?? sounds like a baby did he adjust the valves every say 4000 miles?? and take care of other necessities??or did it just get driven under 100 miles a month all its life and sit in a garage most of the time?? was the owner a porscheaphile??did he know his p/s and q's of the air cooled world. all this and the prices of just about everything skyrocketing in the last five years means the dollar is worthless anyway!! 40 grand wouldn't be totally outrageous for someones baby but 20 would be someones dust collector who dosent even know what a 2.0 cylende rhead looks like wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif !!love it or leave it!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.