Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mepstein
One reason I bought on Amazon is their reurn policy. If this turned out to be less than I expected, they would go back. Right now, I have no thoughts about returning them. They have met all my expectations.
StratPlayer
Those will be my next upgrade.
FourBlades
I think the hids George installed are about as bright. I think the hids throw a more even light pattern. There are some brighter and dimmer areas with the led that the hids don't have.

The leds are awesome because they are a 15 minute install with no modifications. The super sharp cut off is also very cool.

John
JmuRiz
Very neat upgrade, I have 65w H4s in my car, but may think about these...especially when/if I get my car done and want to drive it to events that last to the evening.

Anyone have a volt-meter in their car...if so, how is the volt drop with these headlights vs standard?

Thanks,
Chris914n6
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 29 2014, 04:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 29 2014, 12:12 AM) *

If I did my calculations right, that GE LED is twice as bright as a 35w HID. That's insane.

It also should get super hot. I'd look into it as cutting some air vents in the surround might be in order.

Why would it get super hot? Draws less current and led run cool. I put my hand on the bulb after a couple minutes and felt no heat at all. I'll run them on my way to work today and check again.

LEDs at this level get hot. From the pics it looks like the whole rear housing is a ribbed heatsink. The majority of vehicles using this style headlamp are front engine so will have turbulent air behind the unit. The 914 is relatively enclosed. Might not be a problem but it should be looked into just in case. Heat kills electronics.
Even 60w equivalent house light bulbs have built in heatsinks.
Testing during the day will give you a better idea of heat buildup during summer nights.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 29 2014, 11:40 AM) *

Anyone have a volt-meter in their car...if so, how is the volt drop with these headlights vs standard?

Amazon...
Q: How much power do these draw on High? on Low?
A: According to ge tech specks... The lights draw 1.8 amps on low beam and 3.6 amps on high beams.

I might have used the wrong formula... type.gif dry.gif

GElighting website...
How many Watts are these (LED Headlamps)?

The GE LED Headlamps produces a similar amount of light to 55 watt halogen product however, because LEDs are more efficient, the LED Headlamp uses less power.
sfrenck
Is there a silver band with "GE" across the middle of these or not? I see pics both ways:

From Grassroots Motorsports (on a Miata.... sorry):

Click to view attachment

Grassroots Nighthawk review

From Amazon:

Click to view attachment

No silver band seems much more presentable to me.
Harpo
The ones without the GE might be trucklites
mepstein
Might matter to me on a 911. On my 14, the lights are either on or down.
sfrenck
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 31 2014, 12:38 PM) *

So yours have the bands?
mepstein
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Oct 31 2014, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 31 2014, 12:38 PM) *

So yours have the bands?

Yes. The band on mine is chrome/mirror, not silver. There has to be some sort of divider since low beam is only the top half of the bulb. The bottom half stays dark until you turn on the high beams. The low beams project the amount of high quality light you would expect on a modern car. The high beams are amazing but make the low beams look dark after you shut the highs down. But there's no way to drive towards another car with the highs. They are blinding.
Harpo
I just ordered a pair. Looks promising

David
jaywood
Where are you guys buying these from? Amazon?
mepstein
QUOTE(jaywood @ Nov 5 2014, 04:52 PM) *

Where are you guys buying these from? Amazon?

Yes. $165/each
Java2570
I'd be interested in seeing a photo of the light pattern of these LED's, how they compare to H4's.
JmuRiz
Check post 39, looks like a modern HID light pattern

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2103800
bandjoey
How Do They Do Thay???

My email today from Amazon listed 7 different LED 7" headlights for sale. Next the drone will deliver them with a mechanic to put them in.

I'm interested but they did not know it was me looking. dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 6 2014, 11:58 AM) *
but they did not know it was me looking

Oh yes, they did.

They use cross-domain cookie exchanges to track your browsing habits across multiple websites.

That's how facebook knows that i looked at newegg for a new graphics card and then facebook starts feeding me ads related to the card models i viewed over there.

Basically, different websites are exchanging your browsing history with each other to generate a more or less complete map of your browsing habits.

This has been happening for a long time ...
dry.gif
Chris Pincetich
OMG this is cool. With the time change, I am driving very dark, windy roads alot. PLEASE keep posting about install tips and whether or not leaving them on for 1+ hours causes heat buildup.

Thanks! beerchug.gif

With the 914 World crew we could maybe organize a GROUP BUY on these. Especially if a vendor could get wholesale price. I'd buy them today if the price were comparable to my H4s.
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Nov 6 2014, 03:46 PM) *

OMG this is cool. With the time change, I am driving very dark, windy roads alot. PLEASE keep posting about install tips and whether or not leaving them on for 1+ hours causes heat buildup.

Thanks! beerchug.gif

With the 914 World crew we could maybe organize a GROUP BUY on these. Especially if a vendor could get wholesale price. I'd buy them today if the price were comparable to my H4s.

$165 seems bargain basement for right now. In time I'm sure they will be less. I don't feel any heat from the bulb after a half hour of night driving. Installation takes 5 to 10 minutes per side with one Phillips screwdriver.
Harpo
Has anyone seen any interference issues? Does anyone have a 75 or 76? It may be an adjustment issue but The face of the headlight was dragging on the inside.

Thanks

David
Chris914n6
LED headlights are pretty common now. I'll post pics of my SEMA findings after I upload them.
The backside didn't get all that warm really. However the bulb replacement LEDS were borderline touchable.

pics...
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
www.hpiusainc.com

IPB Image
www.szatr.com
bandjoey
After the install and driving for a few days....update and results. Are they worth the money? Final verdict on heat and some street pictures? Thanks.
mepstein
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 11 2014, 11:10 PM) *

After the install and driving for a few days....update and results. Are they worth the money? Final verdict on heat and some street pictures? Thanks.

Drove home at night at least a half dozen times. My opinion hasn't changed. I will never go back to standard bulbs. But now I am ready to get Spoke's led taillight upgrade.
mikesmith
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2014, 08:15 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 11 2014, 11:10 PM) *

Drove home at night at least a half dozen times. My opinion hasn't changed. I will never go back to standard bulbs. But now I am ready to get Spoke's led taillight upgrade.

And his front lights. They're Very Niceā„¢.
Chris Pincetich
The install was easy, but I did forget to get the extra wire and connector tucked up and behind the light. It hung down, then jammed when closing, but was OK. All set now! I included a photo below of the connector hanging down - don't do that!

I should have a chance for some night driving soon. So far, they look much brighter that H4s while in the driveway at dusk beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Krieger
Chris, give us your opinions of night driving with those new bulbs. You had H-4s before with 55 or 100?
Krieger
How do they compare?
MJHanna
Did Amazon bump the price up or just for me? http://www.amazon.com/GE-NIGHTHAWK-Round-R...p/dp/B00BQX2BT8
it list them at $290.65 -100.00 coupon+= 190.65 not 165.00
gryphon68
QUOTE(MJHanna @ Nov 24 2014, 08:07 AM) *

Did Amazon bump the price up or just for me? http://www.amazon.com/GE-NIGHTHAWK-Round-R...p/dp/B00BQX2BT8
it list them at $290.65 -100.00 coupon+= 190.65 not 165.00

Amazon tends to fluctuate prices based on available stock, could be they are running low. Not unusual to see price bump drop back down when they get more stock in.
Chris914n6
Heat is not a problem. The SEMA displays were on half a day when I got there. The rear housing is one big aluminum heatsink.

The replacement bulbs wouldn't fit so it's mute.
dale73914
After driving mine all through winter here iin Australia, i have been folloowing this with much interest.

Thinking i now know what Santa is bringing.....
mepstein
It's a great upgrade and would take 5 minutes to reverse if you needed to. I'm really glad you guys let me In on this product.
Chris Pincetich
After driving with these for about a month I can say this is an awesome upgrade! beerchug.gif
The light is super bright compared to my not very old 55W H-4s, which were way brighter than OEM set-up that was in there 10 years ago. They are worth adjusting, as the light spread improved when I aimed them up a bit. I added a link to the reviews on Amazon - a lot is written. I was happy to read that I am not the only one to notice the bright "X" formed in the middle of the road by the somewhat angular hot-spots in the pattern of light biggrin.gif

Overall, bright, WIDE, white light 2-4x brighter than standard options and the install is plug-n-play. I was constantly "over driving" my old lights during PM forays on the local twisty forest roads, but now can see way ahead and much farther around corners as I cruise at 55mph aktion035.gif

I can't comment on the high beams. Mine don't work dry.gif
Need to fix that, but less important now w these new headlights.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-NIGHTHAWK-Round-R...yRankDescending
FourBlades

Still loving mine.

I look forward to driving at night now...

John
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Jan 12 2015, 09:12 PM) *

After driving with these for about a month I can say this is an awesome upgrade! beerchug.gif
The light is super bright compared to my not very old 55W H-4s, which were way brighter than OEM set-up that was in there 10 years ago. They are worth adjusting, as the light spread improved when I aimed them up a bit. I added a link to the reviews on Amazon - a lot is written. I was happy to read that I am not the only one to notice the bright "X" formed in the middle of the road by the somewhat angular hot-spots in the pattern of light biggrin.gif

Overall, bright, WIDE, white light 2-4x brighter than standard options and the install is plug-n-play. I was constantly "over driving" my old lights during PM forays on the local twisty forest roads, but now can see way ahead and much farther around corners as I cruise at 55mph aktion035.gif

I can't comment on the high beams. Mine don't work dry.gif
Need to fix that, but less important now w these new headlights.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-NIGHTHAWK-Round-R...yRankDescending

You need to fix your high beams. They are too bright to use around traffic but light up like the sun on an empty road. If both your highs are out, it might be your car and not the lights.
Chris Pincetich
Yup, it's not the new headlights. I have the Jwest flasher, Jwest fuse assembly, and a "newer" wiper stalk assembly, so all of that wiring has been messed with and I obviously didn't put something together correctly. I've replaced the relay, added that "jumper" to it, and still I can't get the little blue light or "click" to indicate the high beams should be working.... sad.gif
mobymutt
Those headlights are amazing! Can we get them at a discount in bulk?? Group buy!
db9146
Any other source or coupon known for these?
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(db9146 @ Feb 25 2015, 06:36 PM) *

Any other source or coupon known for these?

agree.gif
rmdinmd
just ordered mine. Amazon has the $100 off coupon which brings the price with shipping to just under $200 each. I placed two seperate orders for 1 each to use the coupon for each order. It says you can't do that but it seems to let you. biggrin.gif

Cairo94507
Yup- that is how I bought mine too. agree.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 25 2015, 08:48 AM) *

Yup- that is how I bought mine too. agree.gif

me 2. I can't imagine that you won't be very happy with the lights. I sometimes use mine as daytime running lights since I know the lifespan is multiples of normal lights.
SKL1
I'm in the process of doing the relay wiring with the jwest kit for my new H4's and now I see this thread!!
Can I assume you don't need the relay set up with these lights as they don't draw a big current?? That would sure simplify things...
Cairo94507
That is correct. Just remove the old and plug in the new.
SKL1
just ordered with my wife's prime acct. did 2 orders and both took the coupon. It just asked me if I wanted a duplicate order as I did them both back to back. anxious to try them out! probably will end up with them on both cars!!
dangerranger01
These are awesome.
My lights should arrive tomorrow....is there any difference between left and right hand sides? Couldn't find much info.
Regardless, this upgrade is going to be amazing!
dangerranger01
Excuse my newbness, but is there a way to leave the headlights up and not have any lights stay on? I can only get them to stay up and have the running lights stay on. Tried a bunch of different combos of key and switch positions but couldn't figure it out....or is my wiring jacked up?
zambezi
yes, pull the round relay by the light motor, then turn off the lights
dangerranger01
^^thanks. Does that relay control the motor or the bulb, or both?

never mind...found it in my wiring diagram. it is only for the motor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.