Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
02loftsmoor
look at part#71077 on this parts page, at my company we have some fleet customers that that spend over $25,000 a year on headlights failing and they are looking and are using this company products in some of their locations.
that 7" looks like a good fit

http://www.hamsar.com/#!forward-lighti.../part-%23-71077Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
monkeyboy
They aren't the first LED headlights I have seen... What do they cost?
02loftsmoor
I really don't know some one sent me the link on the square lights, and I noticed the the 7" round
I'm looking at LEDs also,,
Cairo94507
I know I want LED headlamps in my car just to keep the electric draw down. I really do not want to fry a brand new wiring harness on my Six or cook a switch.
bandjoey
And what's the price? There was a thread a couple years back and say that time led headlights were in the $$$$ range. Have they come down?
02loftsmoor
Bill I saw one (1) $235. each
Beeliner
I picked up a pair of 7" lights for about $130.00 but I haven't installed them yet.

They use about 10% of the draw of the old bulbs.

My electrician insisted my basement be converted, and the home system is great.
matthepcat
I ran a set of J.W. Speaker led driving lights on my last teener. Highest quality LED products on the market...but not cheap. Light output was close to HID with a sharp cut-off.

http://www.jwspeaker.com

patssle
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 24 2014, 01:39 PM) *

I know I want LED headlamps in my car just to keep the electric draw down. I really do not want to fry a brand new wiring harness on my Six or cook a switch.

Is there a direct LED replacement bulb to go in our existing headlights?
matthepcat
QUOTE(patssle @ Oct 24 2014, 06:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 24 2014, 01:39 PM) *

Is there a direct LED replacement bulb to go in our existing headlights?

No. Headlight housings are designed for a specific light signature. That's why those cars with HID kits installed in their stock halogen housings blind everyone on the road.

LED technology for headlight duty is not a simple task that requires real optical engineering.
Elliot Cannon
They make LED landing lights for small airplanes now and they range any were from $250 to (gasp)! $1600.
Harpo
Matthepcat

We're you using the 8700 evo?
http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/headlights/#product=500463

Thanks
matthepcat
QUOTE(Harpo @ Oct 25 2014, 08:01 AM) *

Matthepcat

We're you using the 8700 evo?
http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/headlights/#product=500463

Thanks

The EVO would be a good headlight option. I used the 8145 in the fog light location.
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Oct 24 2014, 07:43 PM) *

I ran a set of J.W. Speaker led driving lights on my last teener. Highest quality LED products on the market...but not cheap. Light output was close to HID with a sharp cut-off.

http://www.jwspeaker.com

They look good also. They fit the headlight bucket ok
Harpo
As much as I want LED headlights the 8700 Evo are about $1,500 a pair. A little too pricy for me.

http://www.hamsarstore.com/#!__store/led-headlights

These are $800.00

David
bandjoey
Bookmark. We'll readdress this in 5 years when the price goes down. biggrin.gif
michael7810
GE NIghthawk

Has anyone tried these by GE? I've read on the 944 site that they are good replacements.
Zimms
They got a thumbs up from a miata reviewer as well.

Miata / Nighthawk review
mepstein
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Oct 25 2014, 06:22 PM) *

GE NIghthawk

Has anyone tried these by GE? I've read on the 944 site that they are good replacements.

They sell them on amazon and I saw mention of a $100 off cupon. Anybody know how to get the cupon?
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 25 2014, 04:20 PM) *

GE NIghthawk

They sell them on amazon and I saw mention of a $100 off cupon. Anybody know how to get the cupon?

The instructions say to just click on the "clip coupon" on the ebay page. "discount will be applied at checkout"
$165.17 after discount.
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 25 2014, 07:24 PM) *

GE NIghthawk

The instructions say to just click the get coupon ID on the ebay page. "discount will be applied at checkout"

read the instructions? who do you think I am? biggrin.gif
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 25 2014, 04:26 PM) *

GE NIghthawk

The instructions say to just click the get coupon ID on the ebay page. "discount will be applied at checkout"

When all else fails read the instructions!!
Now we need someone with money to buy these and try them out. Even at $165 a piece that will not be me.
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 25 2014, 07:35 PM) *

GE NIghthawk

Now we need someone with money to buy these and try them out. Even at $165 a piece that will not be me.

I'm ordering right now. Arrives Wed. I hope to have them on by the week end. All the reviews sound very good to great. I will let everyone know.
DRPHIL914
Is this a direct plug n play or isthe adaptor plug necessary?
mepstein
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 25 2014, 08:57 PM) *

Is this a direct plug n play or isthe adaptor plug necessary?

I'm hoping its plug and play...
mepstein
I did buy one under my name and then one under my wife's name to get the $100 discount on each bulb.

After I get these in I will add Spokes LED upgrades.
monkeyboy
The GE lights are rated for 15,000 lumens while the ones at the beginning of the thread are only rated for 7,000 lumens.

That's a lot more light!
Harpo
Thanks for being our Guiney pig and taking the risk for us. I love the idea that are $330 instead of $800 or $1500. I have only seen them on Amazon , not eBay

Thanks

David
mgp4591
Has anyone experimented with a smaller stand alone assembly, like an auxiliary lamp? I'm looking to do my headlights a little different for aerodynamic reasons... idea.gif
Steve
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 25 2014, 04:35 PM) *

GE NIghthawk

I broke down and bought a pair. Should arrive this weekend.

Cairo94507
Interested to see how these look, fit and work. I like that Mark thought to use two different orders to save the maximum possible. Reminds me I need to get both of my wiener dogs credit cards.......
effutuo101
Those are cool. I might have to break down and swap out my Plastic headlights for those...
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Oct 24 2014, 02:26 PM) *

look at part#71077 on this parts page, at my company we have some fleet customers that that spend over $25,000 a year on headlights failing and they are looking and are using this company products in some of their locations.
that 7" looks like a good fit

http://www.hamsar.com/#!forward-lighti.../part-%23-71077Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

check this out from Truck Light $166.00

http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-15587-t...CFaM7Mgod7AoA7A
mepstein
Mine are supposed to show on Thursday. I'll get these on my car and reviewed asap.
Harpo
I believe that the truck lites are the same as the GE lights.

I read it somewhere on the Internet so therefore it must be true
mepstein
Showed up today piratenanner.gif

Took 20 minutes to install - plug and play. Uses stock hardware with absolutely no mods.

Low beams - Lots of bright white light. Not obnoxious. Light cut off is the same as stock

High beams - OMG!!! Really. Hate to use the phrase but... they're a game changer.

Took them for a quick drive. I'm very happy with the purchase. I thought the price was reasonable for the product and the results but ultimately it will cost me a lot of money since I will need these on every 914 I own.

I'm not an electrical guy but it's nice to know these drawl less current than stock so I'm not worried about the cars wires. Plus, since these have an expected lifespan of 15,000 hours, They could be used as daytime running lights without worrying about using them up.

They do look a bit odd since the low beam only lights up the top half of the bulb and they stick out about 1/2" from the trim ring. They fit fine but unlike our hidden lights, I don't think they'll find as much favor from the 911 crowd.

Cairo - You might as well put in your order now biggrin.gif
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 25 2014, 06:12 PM) *

I did buy one under my name and then one under my wife's name to get the $100 discount on each bulb.

After I get these in I will add Spokes LED upgrades.

I used the same ID and ordered it twice to get the discount with both lights.
FourBlades
Got mine today too:

Side by side front view does not really show much:

Click to view attachment

The little orange dot on the left is a 55 watt halogen H4. All the rest of the light is from one LED GE Nighthawk.

Click to view attachment

They look very cool.

Click to view attachment

Really dramatic improvement in lighting. Just floods the street with light but cuts off totally above waist level.

Click to view attachment

Really makes it fun to drive at night. I avoided it before. You can also see the killer LED gauges Tim (Timothy_ND28) built for me.

John
Steve
Wow!! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to get mine
FourBlades

The only thing you have to watch is the plug on the bulb can get jammed between the back of the bulb and the back of the headlight bucket when the light goes down.

The plug is on a wire about 6 inches long, the stock bulbs have the plug directly on the back of the light.

Make sure to secure this wire and plug where it won't get in the way.

I have manually operated headlights (I.e. took out the headlight pop up motors) so I can just move it aside when putting the lights down.

If you have the motors I don't know what will happen if it the plug gets in the way of them closing???

John
Chris914n6
If I did my calculations right, that GE LED is twice as bright as a 35w HID. That's insane.

It also should get super hot. I'd look into it as cutting some air vents in the surround might be in order.
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 29 2014, 12:12 AM) *

If I did my calculations right, that GE LED is twice as bright as a 35w HID. That's insane.

It also should get super hot. I'd look into it as cutting some air vents in the surround might be in order.

Why would it get super hot? Draws less current and led run cool. I put my hand on the bulb after a couple minutes and felt no heat at all. I'll run them on my way to work today and check again.
sfrenck
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 28 2014, 10:20 PM) *

...They do look a bit odd since the low beam only lights up the top half of the bulb and they stick out about 1/2" from the trim ring. They fit fine but unlike our hidden lights...

Mark (or anyone else that installed these) - can you post a pic of the installed lamp in daylight so I can understand how they stick out?
gryphon68
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Oct 29 2014, 07:42 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 28 2014, 10:20 PM) *

...They do look a bit odd since the low beam only lights up the top half of the bulb and they stick out about 1/2" from the trim ring. They fit fine but unlike our hidden lights...

Mark (or anyone else that installed these) - can you post a pic of the installed lamp in daylight so I can understand how they stick out?

The fact that the front lens does seem to extend forward from the trim ring was the primary concern I had with these. Not really from an appearance stand point, just was hoping to hear that they fit and retract properly with the 914 pop-up mechanism.

As far as the heat, yes, these likely get quite warm, but I think you will find the rear of the housing is metal (presumably aluminum) and acts as a huge heat sink to dissipate the thermal energy.
mepstein
Looks different but fits fine. There's plenty of clearance for the bulb.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Oct 28 2014, 06:38 PM) *

Got mine today too:

Side by side front view does not really show much:

Click to view attachment

The little orange dot on the left is a 55 watt halogen H4. All the rest of the light is from one LED GE Nighthawk.

Click to view attachment

They look very cool.

Click to view attachment

Really dramatic improvement in lighting. Just floods the street with light but cuts off totally above waist level.

Click to view attachment

Really makes it fun to drive at night. I avoided it before. You can also see the killer LED gauges Tim (Timothy_ND28) built for me.

John

Hey John,
Are they as bright as George's set up? What about the housing? Did they not fit? They look really sweet!
Shane
ThePaintedMan
Pretty much makes my HIDs pointless now... headbang.gif I knew I should have gone with LEDs. I guess I could always just move the HIDs to the Miata, but I'll have to trash my fiberglass covers that I made. Live and learn.

Thanks for posting the pics John! Looks great.
mepstein
20 minutes of driving and the bulb and trim ring are cool to the touch. I don't know about the alum housing but the plastic headlight souround is cool as well. Like I said, I'm very pleased with the lights and will get some more driving time when I leave work at 7pm tonight.
Krieger
Yea! I have been waiting for a solution. I hope this is it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.