Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 222
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
ConeDodger
Randal, I dropped off the 222 rear deck lid Wednesday at Original Customs. Go get her!
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 13 2014, 09:08 AM) *

Randal, I dropped off the 222 rear deck lid Wednesday at Original Customs. Go get her!

Thanks Rob.

Appreciate your dropping the lid off.
JoeSharp
Hey Randall, my car weighs in at 1640 with a full load of fuel. I used braces between the shock towers.
Randal
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Dec 24 2014, 01:19 PM) *

Hey Randall, my car weighs in at 1640 with a full load of fuel. I used braces between the shock towers.

How much fuel? Guessing you must be under 1600# dry.

I think I'll be able to get about 1580# without a huge amount of work. There is another 20# there if I lose the Targa bar.

100# from where I am is like picking up 10hp.
grantsfo
So happy to see you back in the game! Continued focus on rotating weight if you are planning on Hillclimbs again. An alumnum hat rotor is worthwhile in my opinion. I designed and had machine shop make alumnum hats that work with brembo floating rotors on my Z. It wasn't all that expensive. $1500. Way cheaper than the carbon ceramics that are on the cayman now! I'm actually thinking of making my own pccb replacements for cayman. These weigh couple lbs. Crazy lightweight and strong as I used 7075 aircraft alloy.

IPB Image

And how about a sequential. Huge time for hillclimb with a close ratio like this one.

http://youtu.be/_FD6-UX3WN0
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 26 2014, 08:53 PM) *

So happy to see you back in the game! Continued focus on rotating weight if you are planning on Hillclimbs again. An alumnum hat rotor is worthwhile in my opinion. I designed and had machine shop make alumnum hats that work with brembo floating rotors on my Z. It wasn't all that expensive. $1500. Way cheaper than the carbon ceramics that are on the cayman now! I'm actually thinking of making my own pccb replacements for cayman. These weigh couple lbs. Crazy lightweight and strong as I used 7075 aircraft alloy.

IPB Image

And how about a sequential. Huge time for hillclimb with a close ratio like this one.

http://youtu.be/_FD6-UX3WN0

Like to see a picture of that rotor when it's installed. So is that the inside hub or whatever it's called bit for a floating rotor?

Beautiful piece of work.
JoeSharp
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 25 2014, 09:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Dec 24 2014, 01:19 PM) *

How much fuel? Guessing you must be under 1600# dry.

I think I'll be able to get about 1580# without a huge amount of work. There is another 20# there if I lose the Targa bar.

100# from where I am is like picking up 10hp.

2.5 Gallons. I'm going to have to start a thread here as I haven't been on this forum much and I can see that was a mistake.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 6 2014, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 3 2014, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 3 2014, 08:22 AM) *

A video on an iphone takes about 2 seconds, maybe two clicks is all. Don't they have iphones up there in God's Country?

Sure, they got enough of them to tie up every fool in the country.

My cell is talk & text only.....I mostly ignore texts & don't send any.
Ok, I'm a luddite, so shoot me, but you better not miss. I do embrace certain technologies. biggrin.gif

Merry Christmas JP and speaking of Christmas, here is an early Christmas present to myself.

Re-plumbed the oil lines removing the Mocal thermostat that ran to the front oil cooler.

Ha, just saved 30lbs (no front cooler/lines/oil) and did so at no dollars. So a pretty good weight reduction for the buck, hey? For the stuff I run I don't really need the front cooler and THANKS to Bill for the suggestion.

Now have to buy an Accusump and they are pricy.

Here is an after picture:

Click to view attachment

Here is before:

Click to view attachment

Now I've plumbed the new Accusump, putting it into the drivers compartment where I can turn it off and on, so using the manual valve. Also used the AeroQuip hose and push on fittings. I will be adding clamps, although I probably don't need them. Also cut a 4 x 4 in square out of an old IMSA slick, cut a 2" hole in the middle and will rivet that to keep the hose centered in the hole. KISS as JP would say.

Click to view attachment

And from the back side.

Click to view attachment

Now ready to fill the Accusump, put oil back into the car, pre-oil the bearings and start her up.

Mueller
Supposedly Ford (or Holman-Moody?) acid dipped a few Trans-Am series Mustang bodys in white in acid to make the chassis lighter...I know, not too practical with your car..but something to get you thinking about!
returf
So how'd it run Randal. When do you get to use it again?. I just finished installing a brake upgrade that saved 9lbs per front wheel over the previous setup. 12.2" AP Racing rotors, lightweight Alloy hats and Wilwood forged 4 piston superlites. When you think about trying to say, catch 18lbs of something thrown at you really fast then you start to see the benefits of reducing as much weight as possible (unsprung too) smile.gif
Randal
QUOTE(returf @ Feb 2 2015, 11:34 PM) *

So how'd it run Randal. When do you get to use it again?. I just finished installing a brake upgrade that saved 9lbs per front wheel over the previous setup. 12.2" AP Racing rotors, lightweight Alloy hats and Wilwood forged 4 piston superlites. When you think about trying to say, catch 18lbs of something thrown at you really fast then you start to see the benefits of reducing as much weight as possible (unsprung too) smile.gif

Great point about weight, not sure I want to try and catch a 16#, let alone 18# shotput!

Not running yet, but just need to put the transmission back in and the starter, wire and oil her up and should be ready. biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 5 2015, 08:11 AM) *

QUOTE(returf @ Feb 2 2015, 11:34 PM) *

Great point about weight, not sure I want to try and catch a 16#, let alone 18# shotput!

Not running yet, but just need to put the transmission back in and the starter, wire and oil her up and should be ready. biggrin.gif

Got the Accusump in and oiled up, transmission and starter on and fired her up. Took a little while, but she finally started. I was using year old race fuel, which was suspect.

222 is now off with a new owner. Packed her up today.

Great car, so much fun over the 10 years I owned her.

J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 21 2015, 11:28 AM) *

Got the Accusump in and oiled up, transmission and starter on and fired her up. Took a little while, but she finally started. I was using year old race fuel, which was suspect.

So, now whut?
I got 12-13 years out of my 914 box. Went over a year without a toy car......bad idea. wacko.gif
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 21 2015, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 21 2015, 11:28 AM) *

So, now whut?
I got 12-13 years out of my 914 box. Went over a year without a toy car......bad idea. wacko.gif

DSR

Found a great one up North, but just a bit in front of my budget.

brant
Who bought the chassis
Randal
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 22 2015, 04:49 PM) *

Who bought the chassis

I ended up selling the engine and chassis together. Still some assembly required, but I bought back most of what I sold off the car, and with a couple of days the car will be complete again.

You will see the car running PCA GGR events in the bay area.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 22 2015, 09:23 PM) *

It looks like she went to a good home, he's a good driver and 222 seems to fit his style ...
biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 26 2015, 08:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 22 2015, 09:23 PM) *

It looks like she went to a good home, he's a good driver and 222 seems to fit his style ...
biggrin.gif

Right, Andrew is really competitive and does have substantial skills behind the wheel. Very precise driver, which I learned when taking a shotgun run with him years ago.

The next stage of the car will be more focused on autox, so weight reductions and a few other interesting things. The car at 1550# or less, with a few other adaptions will continue to be very competitive.

Although it's competitive as is to tell the truth.
J P Stein
Byholder?
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 1 2015, 07:46 AM) *

Byholder?

yes
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 1 2015, 08:37 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 1 2015, 07:46 AM) *

Byholder?

yes

beerchug.gif
Awesome
He should be able to give Mike K a good challenge in 222! Big 4 vs. 6! I need to get back out there, even if it is just to wear down my street tires and watch the big boys battle. It always a fun, active "car show" biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Mar 1 2015, 08:43 AM) *
I need to get back out there ...

http://www.pca-ggr.org/autocross-calendar-corrections/

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.