Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Troubleshooting: 2.0 won't stay running
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914_teener
QUOTE(Nate @ Dec 5 2014, 12:20 PM) *

I tested the injectors on the car.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I found the problem. Apparently, at some point, one of the bolts holding on the rocker assembly for cylinder 4 stripped right off the stud. I checked compression yesterday and was getting 30 psi on cylinder 4. So I popped the valve cover off and the issue was staring me right in the face. So I'm happy that I found the issue but also a bit confused as to how this occurred. Valves were all adjusted to spec during the rebuild. I guess it's possible that I cross threaded the bolt onto the stud but I was very careful during the process. Both the stud and the bolt threads were stripped.

Question:

Did you degree the cam in at zero lash?

Or did you set the lash and then degree the cam?
Nate
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 5 2014, 01:36 PM) *

Question:

Did you degree the cam in at zero lash?

Or did you set the lash and then degree the cam?

Please explain? I'm not sure what you're asking. The lash between the cam gear and crank gear?
914_teener
Nate:

Maybe something went wrong with your cam assembly...kinda late now the motor is in the car.

At this point I'd put your rocker assembly back together and then reset the valve lash to spec.... .006. and make sure the motor spins freely. You also may want to check the timing marks against the distributor on the No. 1 cylinder...just a check with both valve covers off.

Then see if it will fire and stay running now.
Nate
I know that I lined up the cam gear and the crankshaft gear correctly so that's not an issue. I also made sure that the machine shop indexed the cam gear correctly to the cam shaft so that's not it either. The motor spun freely before I put it in and I checked valve clearance to the Pistons during assembly. I'm kind of thinking that the bolt must have just been cross threaded onto the stud. It's been a pain diagnosing but I don't believe there is any collateral damage. I think I got lucky.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.