Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '71 Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
dlee6204
Been busy with a lot of things lately but I've been making slow and steady progress. Switching gears a bit...

I had to quit driving the car because I had a real bad shimmy in the front end once I got over 60mph. I assumed tie rods were shot and it turns out I was right. I replaced them with turbo tie rods. Night and day difference. driving.gif

Click to view attachment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDIvLqDsiQ
dlee6204
Finally an update for my lean running condition...

I've been working on this issue on an off since I got it back on the road . I'm finally getting to the bottom of it. The root cause of all my issues? VACUUM LEAKS!

I sprayed starting fluid throughout the engine bay and I found nearly every connection leak air. I was quite surprised since I was diligent putting the motor back together with new gaskets, sealant, etc. Intake tubes to heads... leaked. Intake tubes to plenum... leaks. Cold start valve... leaked. Temperature sensor II... leaked.

Here's a good shot of the leak at the cold start valve. New gasket and even some sealant, and it still had a nice hole for air to get in.

Click to view attachment

After fixing all these areas the running condition improved but I was still experiencing issues. At this point I would say the issue was 75% contained. Spraying fluid around the plenum and throttle body still caused the idle to shoot up. I swapped out the throttle body and again I saw a slight improvement but still had issues. I came to the conclusion that plenum itself was leaking at the seam. I swapped out the plenum and saw an improvement but still had issues. I would say at this point issue was at 90%.

So at this point I assumed that the replacement plenum also leaked so I welded up the original plenum and low and behold the running issue once again improved and it runs very close to normal. Lets say 95%. This is currently where I'm at. I took it for a short drive today and I didn't have time to see if there are any more leaks.

Click to view attachment
second wind
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Feb 18 2017, 04:03 PM) *

Finally an update for my lean running condition...

I've been working on this issue on an off since I got it back on the road . I'm finally getting to the bottom of it. The root cause of all my issues? VACUUM LEAKS!

I sprayed starting fluid throughout the engine bay and I found nearly every connection leak air. I was quite surprised since I was diligent putting the motor back together with new gaskets, sealant, etc. Intake tubes to heads... leaked. Intake tubes to plenum... leaks. Cold start valve... leaked. Temperature sensor II... leaked.

Here's a good shot of the leak at the cold start valve. New gasket and even some sealant, and it still had a nice hole for air to get in.

Click to view attachment

After fixing all these areas the running condition improved but I was still experiencing issues. At this point I would say the issue was 75% contained. Spraying fluid around the plenum and throttle body still caused the idle to shoot up. I swapped out the throttle body and again I saw a slight improvement but still had issues. I came to the conclusion that plenum itself was leaking at the seam. I swapped out the plenum and saw an improvement but still had issues. I would say at this point issue was at 90%.

So at this point I assumed that the replacement plenum also leaked so I welded up the original plenum and low and behold the running issue once again improved and it runs very close to normal. Lets say 95%. This is currently where I'm at. I took it for a short drive today and I didn't have time to see if there are any more leaks.

Click to view attachment

Just a Saturday night thought....this is the essence of 914 World......most of us have seen every issue in this thread....and gotten past it....this is the fun part.....driving the cars is nirvana...fixing them not far behind.....I love this stuff....don't want to do to much again....(would for a 6)....but been there done that and now car is really nice.....new clutch...backing plate....motor mounts in last 14 days...car is like new again....will put nicer dash pad on this summer....never finished and no two alike.....This is the best hobbie-sport-addiction for me.....
gg
dlee6204
Well this car went to its new home today. Hopefully the new owner will continue to revive this car and continue to make it nice. I'm now looking to see what other projects I can get in to. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.