Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hagerty Insurance ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
somd914
I insure the teener and 84 Carrera with Hagerty. I am not restricted to just car events, etc. so running errands, going to dinner, etc are fine. Rates appear to be in line with all the others I received quotes from.

The big issue for me is that Hagerty is the only one I've found who will insure our sons (20 and 22). The others I've looked at including JC Taylor require all operators (not just the policy holder or declared drivers) must have X number of years of driving experience (typically 7-10) or be over the age of X (typically 25).

Hagerty will not insure our Lotus Elise however - for exotic cars they require all dailys to be less than 5 years old, but I have found others with similar restrictions. Our dailys are older than 5 years.
Big Len
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 4 2015, 08:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 4 2015, 03:24 PM) *

jEFF - IIRC, I went to them first before Hagerty. They required about 10-12 days of paperwork exchange/verification before insuring the car. I couldn't wait that long because I was picking the car up in two.

That may be your perception but that's not my real world experience. I have been with JC Taylor since about 2004.

I have a 928 (:gasp!:) that I had on State Farm for a year ($600 annual premium for depreciating coverage), that I wanted to switch because I don't plan to drive it much near term. I called them, faxed them the info and emailed one photo. A couple days later I had a temp card, even before they sent the bill a couple weeks later. ~90 George Washingtons a year for 9K stated value coverage.

A couple years ago I had a small claim on another P-car I have with them. No hassle, no issues, great service.

Here's the problem with Taylor and it's not my perception.

They will not insure a newly bought car until you get it home. If you're driving or transporting from let's say another state, you have to go through your DD insurance until the car is back.

From there, you must fill out the application pages and MAIL (cannot do this online) it to them along with a pic of the car. Once delivered to them by snail mail, it will take a couple of days for them to process. How do I know this? I just called them to see if my memory was correct.

Hagerty will insure the car same day with the application being taken over the phone or online. They will insure the car while it is being transported or driven until it arrives home.

This is not an insurmountable problem, but it is more of a hassle. Like I said, I called Taylor first because of the good things I've heard about them, but the inconvenience and a similar quote led me to Hagerty.
gfg3
OK, I just got an email back from Hagerty about their quote for my soon-to-be-delivered '75. I told them that my car will definitely not be a DD, but I might want to use the car occasionally to get a haircut, go to the gym, go shopping, visit friends, and similar errands, or also just go for a nice drive.

Their response was that this usage is not something that they consider collector usage, and that means it's not something that will qualify with them.

I like Hagerty and what it stands for, and maybe they have different rules for different parts of the country and/or cars, but based on this I guess I'll look somewhere else even if I have to pay a little more.

George
stugray
WOW!

The misinformation on this thread is strong.
I will go back and look over all of my paperwork with Haggerty, but when I got my coverage it was made very clear that:

My 71 914 is a Vintage Race Car that is street legal.
It will be driven on the street ~200 miles per year.
It will be towed to the race track and garaged 100% of the time it is not at the event or being "daily driven".
I have teenagers with driver's licenses, but I have more than enough OTHER vehicles for everyone, and no-one else drives the 914.

They insured the car 110% (they cover spare parts if transported with the vehicle) for loss during transport or in storage and 100% liability.
It is even insured if a fire breaks out in my garage during the "resto".

It is NOT insured WHILE RACING or DURING THE EVENT if I am participating.
It IS insured during transport to/from the event.

I stated the vehicle value at $20,000 and it costs me ~$350 /year.

Now with all that said, I will go review my documentation to make sure I am not remembering incorrectly.
john77
QUOTE(gfg3 @ Feb 5 2015, 09:36 AM) *

OK, I just got an email back from Hagerty about their quote for my soon-to-be-delivered '75. I told them that my car will definitely not be a DD, but I might want to use the car occasionally to get a haircut, go to the gym, go shopping, visit friends, and similar errands, or also just go for a nice drive.

Their response was that this usage is not something that they consider collector usage, and that means it's not something that will qualify with them.

I like Hagerty and what it stands for, and maybe they have different rules for different parts of the country and/or cars, but based on this I guess I'll look somewhere else even if I have to pay a little more.

George

I've been following this thread with interest. Great to finally get a definitive answer from the horses mouth. This was exactly my experience with Hagerty and a number of other insurers.

I have a DD, but they would only cover the 914 for shows/pre-defined occasional use, which bothered me as I wanted the freedom to drive it without worrying if I was definitely covered.

A guy I was working with who had a beautiful old mustang recommended ANPAC to me and I now have my 914 and 2002 insured through them. On the stipulation that I have a 'main car' (02 Subaru), I can drive my other cars whenever and wherever I want [not including track use, obviously], even to work every single day if I want to. The only downside is that my Subaru's battery is now dead from lack of use smile.gif.

It seems that the one truth coming out of this thread is 'double check for yourself.' I don't really care what coverage someone else is getting, or thinks they're getting, I care what I am definitely getting, and it only takes a phone call to verify that.
Big Len
John - Agreed and that's the key here as buying any insurance; medical, life, whatever. Make sure it fits your lifestyle and your budget. But don't forget the details and shopping around and asking around makes you a better informed customer.
somd914
It's been a while since I actually read all the policy documents. From Hagerty's Classic Automobile Policy document (14 pages long) which is not marked as an exclusive Maryland document unlike like several others that comprise our policy:

"Classic vehicle" means a motor vehicle of unique or rare design and of limited production that is an object of curiosity and:

1. Is maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, other functions of public interest or for a private collection; and

2. Is used only infrequently for other purposes.

I see no mention of mileage limitations mentioned in any of the documents.

Given the large amount of documents (typical of all insurance), the varying policies dependent on car types and locations, I doubt seriously that the sales reps can positively describe the policy to potential customers. You are likely better off asking for policy documents to review before jumping in.
stugray
QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 6 2015, 05:45 AM) *

"Classic vehicle" means a motor vehicle of unique or rare design and of limited production that is an object of curiosity and:

Perhaps they give some leeway based on the State's definition of "Classic Car".

My car is designated as a classic car by the CO and has plates that say so.
Maybe they defer to the State's definition?

Or maybe when I stated I would drive my car "less than 200 miles per year on the street" that fell under some limitation that is not explicitly stated anywhere?
GeorgeRud
As insurance is regulated on a state to state basis, checking the actual policy that is in effect in your individual state would be prudent. I've heard good things about Hagerty, and obviously they're under pressure to keep good press as they do serve a very niche market. After storms took down show tents a few years ago at the Scottsdale auctions, all the classic car insurers did what they could to make their customers whole.

You have to be fair and not insure a car you use all the time as a classic and follow your policy's terms - it's a contract.
Amphicar770
As I said earlier, for flexible use policy check out the classic insurance program from Barrett Jackson thru TDC. They have the most reasonable rules around regular usage that I have come across and I looked very closely at all the names in above posts.

http://tdcriskmanagement.com/?page_id=1610
72 IXXIV

My experience exactly.
smveril
I had a similar experience with Hagerty. I drove my 914 on a 65F day in December and was hit by a 16 year old. Hagerty dropped me.

Mike
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 3 2015, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 3 2015, 08:05 PM) *

Try a telephone. call me.gif

Often a real person has better understanding of what you want.

agree.gif Very good representatives on the phone.

Unless you have an experience like my brother with his 1985 930.
It was a grey market car that was federalized and it fully approved, BUT they will not let the valuation be like the 1986 car because "a 1985 930 does not exist in the USA".

Any ideas how to handle this, or suggestions of other insurers that are more in tune with actual collector cars and not what their database/speadsheet show as cars in America.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.