Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hagerty Insurance ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
nomore9one4
I got a quote online from Hagerty for a Prostreet car I am purchasing or considering purchasing.. Anyhow, The minimum they will insure it for is $25000.. Is this a new policy for them..When I had my 914's I only insured them for $5000. It cost me about $95 a year..... With $25000 insurance on a vehicle that is only worth $8000 is insane.. They want $550 a year! I am sorta guessing they only want to insure higher dollar vehicles now.. Has anyone else noticed this or am I on their "List"? idea.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(nomore9one4 @ Feb 3 2015, 04:40 PM) *

I got a quote online from Hagerty for a Prostreet car I am purchasing or considering purchasing.. Anyhow, The minimum they will insure it for is $25000.. Is this a new policy for them..When I had my 914's I only insured them for $5000. It cost me about $95 a year..... With $25000 insurance on a vehicle that is only worth $8000 is insane.. They want $550 a year! I am sorta guessing they only want to insure higher dollar vehicles now.. Has anyone else noticed this or am I on their "List"? idea.gif

I'm guessing the Prostreet car falls into a different category than their collector car insurance.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 3 2015, 04:42 PM) *

QUOTE(nomore9one4 @ Feb 3 2015, 04:40 PM) *

I'm guessing the Prostreet car falls into a different category than their collector car insurance.

Good Point Marc...However, I don't understand why they would give you $25000 worth of insurance on a car only worth $8000 confused24.gif
nomore9one4
I could buy it driving.gif ...Have a really bad day with it blowup.gif , but triple my investment at the end of the day... piratenanner.gif Doesn't make sense..
messix
have you sent them pictures of the condition of the car?

what car is this?

when they hear "prostreet" they are thinking a full custom back halfed car. these are not cheap to build or buy.
messix
nice.... double post
Mark Henry
Try a telephone. call me.gif

Often a real person has better understanding of what you want.
Big Len
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 3 2015, 08:05 PM) *

Try a telephone. call me.gif

Often a real person has better understanding of what you want.

agree.gif Very good representatives on the phone.
matthepcat
I have Hagerty for my 6 conversion.

$120/year.

They didn't even care that it was missing an odometer when I insured it, or that it looked like a race car.
nomore9one4
I would have called when I was ready to purchase.Going a different route now.... On the get quote form on their website it ask asks how much do you want to insure it for. I put in $8000 and it has a pop-up that says the minimum to insure is $25000. I don't care if it cost Cost $100000 to build, if I only paid $8000 for it that is all I would expect to recover if I would have a loss... I guess I am the only one who finds this ridiculous... I will have this moved to Scotty B's thread of ridiculousness!
thelogo
Haggerty are total dushbags

Imho

According to them you are only allowed to goto car shows ... Any place else and your not covered

I personally use Grundy worldwide , there affordable , they insure d me for 5k which is what I paid for the teener . 1 yr full coverage ,116 bucks .

And if I want to drive it to work no problem. Or to my rec league volleyball and basketball games no problem. Or if I pick up a chick and take her to a bar ,no problem

Haggerty is only for schmucks who need to be told when where and how far they can drive there cars.
I mean if I wanted that I'd get a wife ... icon_bump.gif

I know 914's are not grocery getters but haggerty has some balls trying to infringe on my personal
Freedom s

Where do I drive , non of your damn biz
How far do I drive . Same answer ...

" Dennis Leary " from demolition man .

Know it live it

http://youtu.be/gMI_26oljqs
patssle
And if I want to drive it to work no problem

Not possible with just one car. I've emailed any and every company that offers agreed value....none of them allow for daily driving. Grundy requires 3 cars to be under their insurance if you want to DD it.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Feb 3 2015, 05:42 PM) *

I have Hagerty for my 6 conversion.

$120/year.

They didn't even care that it was missing an odometer when I insured it, or that it looked like a race car.

Thanks for the reply! My 914's where the same way..They asked how much do you want to insure it for?? I said $5000 and they sent me a bill for $95 the first year and I think it went up about $5 each year after... That was a few years ago so I was thinking maybe they do not insure lower priced vehicles any longer.. I know!!!!! Call them! biggrin.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(patssle @ Feb 3 2015, 05:49 PM) *

And if I want to drive it to work no problem

Not possible with just one car. I've emailed any and every company that offers agreed value....none of them allow for daily driving. Grundy requires 3 cars to be under their insurance if you want to DD it.

Daily driving is open to interpretation , but I know they told me no mileage limitation " Grundy "

I certainly did not discuss " daily driving " but my odometer is also busted .
GeorgeRud
Has anyone had any experience with the LeLand West policies that are tied into PCA?
patssle
QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 3 2015, 05:59 PM) *

Daily driving is open to interpretation , but I know they told me no mileage limitation " Grundy "

I wish I could use them but nothing would suck more than to get into an accident and not be covered driving to work. From their qualifications PDF:

Eligibility Requirements for Program
1. All vehicles must be used and maintained for hobby purposes and exhibition,
and not for racing, rallying, general transportation, or backup
transportation.
2. All household operators must have a different vehicle insured for daily use.
7. Cobras, Porsches, and Ferraris require the potential insured to provide an
explanation of past driving experience with super high performance sports
vehicles and their state MVR submitted with the application.
9. Corvettes, Porsches, Ferraris and other Exotics 1974 or newer are not
considered unless part of a “collection”
of collector vehicles or are legitimate
collectable show cars (not show off cars).
thelogo
I can be just as big a bastard as those insurance outfit s

http://youtu.be/NZeCgMpLwnU

thelogo
[quote name='patssle' date='Feb 3 2015, 06:15 PM' post='2142123']
[quote name='thelogo' post='2142115' date='Feb 3 2015, 05:59 PM']

[/quote]

. From their qualifications PDF

Please clarify their meaning haggerty or Grundy
jim_hoyland
My Haggerty policy state that the car is used for pleasure only; no other conditions nor additional stipulations. I had to show evidence of owning another car that would be a daily driver. That was it.

Collectors car insurance is a low risk proposition ?
Big Len
QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 3 2015, 08:47 PM) *

Imho

According to them you are only allowed to goto car shows ... Any place else and your not covered

I personally use Grundy worldwide , there affordable , they insure d me for 5k which is what I paid for the teener . 1 yr full coverage ,116 bucks .

And if I want to drive it to work no problem. Or to my rec league volleyball and basketball games no problem. Or if I pick up a chick and take her to a bar ,no problem

Haggerty is only for schmucks who need to be told when where and how far they can drive there cars.

I know 914's are not grocery getters but haggerty has some balls trying to infringe on my personal
Freedom s

Know it live it

Your statements are not the facts.

On Hagerty site -Flexible Usage
Our policy allows you occasional pleasure use, so you can go for a weekend cruise or attend unlimited events with no fixed mileage restrictions**.
** Occasional pleasure use does not mean use for daily driving to and from work or school, routine shopping, etc.
nomore9one4
I just checked with Grundy and got a quote for $117 with a $8000 value.... They do have daily driver/collector car rates aswell... Didn't check on the daily driver rate.. I been with Erie since 1988 and they treat me well. driving.gif
mepstein
been really happy with american family classic. Just sayin...
patssle
QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 3 2015, 06:20 PM) *

Grundy

My Haggerty policy state that the car is used for pleasure only

But not daily driving.
thelogo
Nothing personal to anybody but we might as well be in 2 different worlds

Teener in so cal , slow la

And

East coast

So not all things are equal

But the stuff I said reguaring no mileage limitations

Are grun dee
thelogo
QUOTE(patssle @ Feb 3 2015, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 3 2015, 06:20 PM) *

Grundy

My Haggerty policy state that the car is used for pleasure only

But not daily driving.

Pleasure only ,Grundy
That's why I love that guy

I'm all pleasure ...
When I'm driving the 914 I'm up for any thing
thelogo
I'm self banning myself from this post to

Bias
messix
this guy ^ and Freaky9..... screwy.gif where the hell do they come from... or what are they on ? shades.gif
JRust
I have always used Hagerty & been happy with them. In the 10 years I've used them I have had the one claim recently. They have paid on everything with it so far. I'd have no problem recommending them to anyone. While I can't use it for work. I can drive it for pleasure & do a lot. The car shows I go to usually net me a couple 1000 miles too evilgrin.gif
Big Len
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 3 2015, 10:06 PM) *

this guy ^ and Freaky9..... screwy.gif where the hell do they come from... or what are they on ? shades.gif

The local rehab center?
nomore9one4
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 3 2015, 07:20 PM) *

I have always used Hagerty & been happy with them. In the 10 years I've used them I have had the one claim recently. They have paid on everything with it so far. I'd have no problem recommending them to anyone. While I can't use it for work. I can drive it for pleasure & do a lot. The car shows I go to usually net me a couple 1000 miles too evilgrin.gif

I had Hagerty for about 8 years and had no problems with them.. I would love to keep using them but I just cant see over paying for something I don't need.
72 IXXIV
I had the same issue with Hagerty. I will use my 914 very rarely but when I do use it I want to use it however I want to I was told by the representative at Hagerty that if I used it to say pick up my daughter at school or go to work one day and that would not be covered. My barely-ever-driven the car is a low risk no matter how you slice it, but I don't want them denying my claim because I picked up a gallon of milk.

Or at least that's what I was told by two of their representatives on the phone. Maybe they just say that to scare people like me off.
Steve
I had Hagerty, but killed the policy while the car was apart. Now they won't insure me because my kids are now driving and I do not have a car for each driver other than the 914. When I grew up I shared a car with my sisters. Ridiculous....
bandjoey
QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 3 2015, 07:47 PM) *

Imho

Freedom s

Know it live it

=========================

Seems like you must be thinking about some other insurance company or you're misinformed. Haggerty covered the amount we agreed on when I called them for $154 / $15,000 a year. Drive anywhere. Drive anytime. Unlimited mileage. Covers towing too. Covers tools. The only requirement is to have a second car and keep the teener in a garage. Maybe the valuation for megacars is different but for my declared replacement value I couldn't be happier. popcorn[1].gif

I'm sure someone somewhere has had trouble with any insurance company but Haggerty treats me better than any other quote and service I could locate.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 3 2015, 09:57 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 3 2015, 07:47 PM) *

Imho

Freedom s

Know it live it

=========================

Seems like you must be thinking about some other insurance company or you're misinformed. Haggerty covered the amount we agreed on when I called them for $154 / $15,000 a year. Drive anywhere. Drive anytime. Unlimited mileage. Covers towing too. Covers tools. The only requirement is to have a second car and keep the teener in a garage. Maybe the valuation for megacars is different but for my declared replacement value I couldn't be happier. popcorn[1].gif

I'm sure someone somewhere has had trouble with any insurance company but Haggerty treats me better than any other quote and service I could locate.

I have the same details above $15,000 coverage guaranteed except my dues is $189 per year for my 75 1.8F.I. For the last two years.
DRPHIL914
I switched to Haggarty after having my car for 2 years with Progressive-which cost me $1000/year and only insured for whatevery they could total it for, book value 6 years ago was maybe $2500- which is what i paid for the car.
When i switched i pain $100 a year but valuation was lower too i think $5000 . Only stipulation was not daily commute, have a second car atleast 5 years or newer and be garaged. I have a 2 point ticket from 2 years ago and that cost me a bit now with the regular insurance but did not change my coverage cost with Hagarty at all.

This year i modified the contract, well that was a year ago now. I have full coverage, and since we have 4 other cars they only asked if it was garaged and either my wife or my 23 year old son can drive it. $249 / year and i have $12,000 coverage on the car. Also unlimited milage and not just to shows, any "pleasure", so i could drive out to Route 66 if i wanted to meet up , or go to Hershey, or take a stroll with the wife to some outlet shopping, or as i did last weekend, take my 10 year old out for a daddy-daughter drive shop etc. Yes, i am paying $100 more than the year before - but for a whole year, increased coverage etc, i think its a great deal. This time they did not even ask how many miles or years on the other vehicles , just that we had more than one other vehicle. But we have a Jag Vandenplas with 80k miles, a navigator with 150kmiles(that normally sits in the driveway), and a Montero with 170k miles that our 2 oldest share(both in college here locally and living at home) . Last year when i changed i also had a Boxster that was my dd, but sold it and replaced it with an Audi tt as a dd . My biggest complaint is paying progressive $150 a month just to have my 18 year old daughter on the insurance as a full time drive!. ouch!( my son only cost $45/mo) -

at this point i cant see any reason to change from hagarty confused24.gif
nsyr
I use SafeCo. $150/yr for car valued at 10k.
gfg3
Perfect timing for this thread! I'm getting ready to have a '75 1.8L delivered and have been scoping out insurance. Actual dollars of course depend on coverages selected (mileage, liability, comprehensive, etc.), but for identical coverage Hagerty quoted me about $40 less for $14K coverage than American Collectors. I haven't spoken to Hagerty in person but I have spoken to American Collectors. Their quote is for their "Freedom Tier" under which you must pay for 7500 miles but it allows "general transportation on occasion"; this includes occasional trips to the gym, golf course, restaurants, other errands, etc. according to the American Collectors agent.

I'll try to get a real person at Hagerty to confirm (or deny) occasional use and its limits. Based on this thread I'll check out Grundy too.

George
ripper911
I drive my car every day, so, no collector insurance for me. confused24.gif

How many old Porsches does it take to have a collection?
blitZ
I'm a little miffed with Hagerty. I bought a used Boxster and added it to my Hagerty policy. I picked up the Box in SC, drove back to GA, only to find Hagerty had changed their mind and chose not to insure it. Nice, drove 200+ miles with no insurance. My ex-wife was still listed as a driver on my Hagerty policy. The only way to remove her was to send Hagerty my divorce papers. Really?

I'm going with Leland West with both P-cars. Good rates and fewer rules.
JeffBowlsby
JC Taylor is the secret. Excellent service, low rates, declared value. Few limitations other than a locked garage.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 4 2015, 11:17 AM) *

JC Taylor is the secret. Excellent service, low rates, declared value. Few limitations other than a locked garage.

Thanks Jeff - I started looking and saw this. It is the first box you must check at JC Taylor - before getting a quote:

I agree that my vehicle(s) will be used mainly in exhibitions, club activities, parades and other functions of public interest and will not be used primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods.

How strict is this?

EDIT: I looked further and it would appear my flared 2143cc 914 would not be original enough?

Am I Eligible?

A few basic requirements must be met.

To qualify for the Antique/Classic Auto Insurance Program, vehicles must be at least 19 years old*, and:
##Factory original; i.e. there should be few changes from the factory original specifications.
##In good or restored condition.
##Be kept in a fully enclosed, locked garage.
##Be used primarily as hobby vehicles: used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, or other functions of public interest. An occasional nice day drive to keep the vehicle in running order is perfectly acceptable. ##We do NOT impose a mileage limit on our Antique/Classic Auto Insurance Policy. However, we do use a very reasonable underwriting limit.
##Club affiliation is not required.

JeffBowlsby
The word "primarily" is the key. They are not strict on exclusive use just for shows, club events. They have no mileage limitation. If its agarage queen that's their intent, does not need to be factory stock.

They offer an Antique/classic policy and a hot rod policy. Perhaps yours is more of the hot rod?
Big Len
jEFF - IIRC, I went to them first before Hagerty. They required about 10-12 days of paperwork exchange/verification before insuring the car. I couldn't wait that long because I was picking the car up in two.
bandjoey
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 4 2015, 05:24 PM) *

jEFF - IIRC, I went to them first before Hagerty. They required about 10-12 days of paperwork exchange/verification before insuring the car. I couldn't wait that long because I was picking the car up in two.

I called H. Got the quote. Gave them my card for payment. Emailed 2 pictures of the car. Had my binder and insurance cards in 1 hour about.

I don't work there so it's just my story. but it was hassle free to get the coverage. Cheap with agreed amount. So I'm happy. Drive anywhere I want yo go. I drive to work about 2x a month just for fun. (Don't tell em). The fact that I have no accidents, 3 other cars insured, old guy driver all effects rates.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 4 2015, 03:24 PM) *

That may be your perception but that's not my real world experience. I have been with JC Taylor since about 2004.

I have a 928 (:gasp!:) that I had on State Farm for a year ($600 annual premium for depreciating coverage), that I wanted to switch because I don't plan to drive it much near term. I called them, faxed them the info and emailed one photo. A couple days later I had a temp card, even before they sent the bill a couple weeks later. ~90 George Washingtons a year for 9K stated value coverage.

A couple years ago I had a small claim on another P-car I have with them. No hassle, no issues, great service.

Ferg
Hagerty for me all the way.

I've had them from the start of the hobby, but I admit have never filed a claim.

The big reason I like them is the Company as a whole. They put a ton of resources back into the collector car hobby. They are high on the list of great places to work for, I have heard first hand it's true. They are always at events, and many of the staff are true car people, participating at many of the events throughout the year.

They care about the hobby in general and they show it.
Amphicar770
I've been with Hagerty for many years and give them top marks. I have had to file a claim with them (not on a Posrche) and the service was top notch, no cutting corners, they were totally committed to having the repairs done properly.

Hagerty is a bit weird and inconsistent sometimes around the rules for coverage. I have a Peugeot MI-16 which they told me was not eligible for coverage. I pointed out that they provided coverage for many years on this exact same vehicle to the person I bought it from (who I also referred to them). All of a sudden it then became that my son is under 21 and his car is more than 10 years old (even though it is low mileage and perfect). I pointed out that he is already excluded from coverage on any of the 4 other vehicles I already have insured with them. The rep just started tap dancing and I got nowhere.

Another up and comer, with very good feedback, is the program from Barrett Jackson thru TDC. They have the most reasonable rules around regular usage that I have come across.
http://tdcriskmanagement.com/?page_id=1610
They were willing to cover my XJR and the Peugeot but then would not cover my Amphicar for use in the water as Hagerty does.

Cost is important but make sure whoever you use has a reputation for being there should you ever need to place a claim.
partwerks
Unless they are checking the odometer, or spying on me, how do they know how much I am driving it?? hissyfit.gif
72 IXXIV
If you get into an accident coming from work, or picking up a gallon of milk, etc. They could deny your claim.

At least that's what they told me.

Anyone have any stories of actually bumping up against that rule?
bandjoey
I was on the way home from my mechanic whom gave me a bottle of milk for my hungry cat when all of a sudden the tree jumped out and hit me piratenanner.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.