Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Prices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Howard
Watching Ebay lately and it looks like we're getting some respect. Prices are definately on the rise. Check these out.

914-6 $22,700
bd1308
agree.gif seriously.....even the /4 cars are getting into the big $$$ numbers...looks like we are looking at a comeback smile.gif
Howard
914-8 $18,500
Howard
Blue 1.7 $6000
Howard
914-4 2.0 $15,500
bd1308
and three years ago i got a sort-of running 2.0 for cheap cheap...2k....prolly worth alot more now wink.gif well soon.....
Howard
Another greenie. $7800 reserve not met
Root_Werks
There is a 73' 2.0 at a dealer not too far from my place. They have had it for 2 years now. Started life as a brown/brown car, like poop brown. Only has 60K miles no it. Believable too. I drove it once when it was still brown about a year ago. They wouldn't take $4500 for it.

Checked on it this weekend. Black now (didn't paint trunks), paint is bubbling, 914 won't start, 2" of water in back trunk. Car still thankfully has NO rust,,,, yet.

I offered knowing the car runs and drives great, but the black paint has de-valued it. They would go below $4k. screwy.gif

As I was walking away, I said "This was a nice car last year." happy11.gif

Yeah, they are getting harder to find. Guy has a yellow one sitting at his house, moss growing on it. He won't sell it. sad.gif
Howard
And please, nobody ask me to do a PPI on this. Too Scary! $23k buy it now.
skline
Thats funny, they will wind up keeping it till it rusts away to nothing. The guy with the moss growing, will wind up parting it out about 10 years from now and make a killing. At least that is what he thinks anyway. He could be right. Its just a waste to see them sit there and rot.
JeffBowlsby
This thread sounds like a Mastercard commercial... laugh.gif

The cool factor of owning this car....Priceless... cool.gif

Root_Werks
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 7 2005, 07:14 AM)
agree.gif seriously.....even the /4 cars are getting into the big $$$ numbers...looks like we are looking at a comeback smile.gif

This proccess will still take years to see the 914's peak in value. As thier numbers continue to dwindle, the prices will go up.

A decent solid 914 or six will run more now than it did new. So I am not sure I would really call it a comeback, more as a place being settled into the collector car market. wink.gif

914's are self destructive cars. That is what is helping the market for increased values.
skline
Isnt that what they call "Planned Obsolescence"?
Root_Werks
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 7 2005, 07:23 AM)
Thats funny, they will wind up keeping it till it rusts away to nothing. The guy with the moss growing, will wind up parting it out about 10 years from now and make a killing. At least that is what he thinks anyway. He could be right. Its just a waste to see them sit there and rot.

Funny thing is on the brown/black 914, I have come in with cash 3 times over the 2 years they have had it. When it was still brown I had $4500 in hand, they laughed at me. I think they wanted like $7999 for it? Now, I laughed when the guy said they would take $4000 for it. No way. The thing the car had going for it was it's extreme original condition. Brown/brown, 60k Miles or so, clean shiny factory paint everywhere. Now there is black bubbling paint all over it and overspray everywhere. Plus it won't start.

The sales guy couldn't get the door to unlock and started leaning on the key. I actually pushed his hand away (forcefully) and said in a pissed off voice "Christ, why don't you just use a crow-bar?" as I unlocked the door.

Dumb-ass. mad.gif

I would love to save this 914 as I know it will die if it sits there another couple of years. sad.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Feb 7 2005, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 7 2005, 07:23 AM)

Funny thing is on the brown/black 914, I have come in with cash 3 times over the 2 years they have had it. When it was still brown I had $4500 in hand, they laughed at me. I think they wanted like $7999 for it? Now, I laughed when the guy said they would take $4000 for it. No way. The thing the car had going for it was it's extreme original condition. Brown/brown, 60k Miles or so, clean shiny factory paint everywhere. Now there is black bubbling paint all over it and overspray everywhere. Plus it won't start.

The sales guy couldn't get the door to unlock and started leaning on the key. I actually pushed his hand away (forcefully) and said in a pissed off voice "Christ, why don't you just use a crow-bar?" as I unlocked the door.

Dumb-ass. mad.gif

I would love to save this 914 as I know it will die if it sits there another couple of years. sad.gif

If you have their email, post images of it and let us club members bash the crap outta it. We'll inform them of what they have done to a "restorable classic" that now makes it a "junk yard special"" biggrin.gif
Howard
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Feb 7 2005, 07:24 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 7 2005, 07:14 AM)

This proccess will still take years to see the 914's peak in value. As thier numbers continue to dwindle, the prices will go up.

A decent solid 914 or six will run more now than it did new. So I am not sure I would really call it a comeback, more as a place being settled into the collector car market. wink.gif

914's are self destructive cars. That is what is helping the market for increased values.

Just ranting here, but I started out looking for something fun, a Sunday driver, my wife won't let me get a Ducati, etc. Looked at Chaterhams, Becks, Cobra replicas, and ended up with the teener. Roll up windows, steel doors, cheap, unique and fun.

My cars won't rust out any more than my tools or golf clubs will. I keep them in the garage and care for them. When they get wet, I get out the hair dryer and the WD40 biggrin.gif

Guess I'm sitting on a couple of gold mines. Now I just need a good six and a place to keep it wacko.gif
skline
QUOTE (Howard @ Feb 7 2005, 07:38 AM)
Guess I'm sitting on a couple of gold mines. Now I just need a good six and a place to keep it wacko.gif

I have a place for it down here, I will take very good care of it. biggrin.gif
Howard
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 7 2005, 07:41 AM)
QUOTE (Howard @ Feb 7 2005, 07:38 AM)
Guess I'm sitting on a couple of gold mines.  Now I just need a good six and a place to keep it  :wacko:

I have a place for it down here, I will take very good care of it. biggrin.gif

Scott, I have a call into this guy and may ask you to do a ppi. bodywork and interior are suspect, but all the right parts to go with my 2.7

Then you can have another car there and we can get them all ready for WCC 2040 beerchug.gif

6 conversion
bd1308
A decent solid 914 or six will run more now than it did new.

nope....look at infation over the 30 years. What cost $2000 in 1974 would cost $7914.61 in 2003.
Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2003 and 1974,
they would cost you $2000 and $505.39 respectively

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi

well i dont remember what the 914 cost back then? I remember somewhere around 4K, so just go to the site and adjust that for 4K. People make alot more money now than they did.....
Howard
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 7 2005, 07:53 AM)

nope....look at infation over the 30 years. What cost $2000 in 1974 would cost $7914.61 in 2003.

Very perceptive. Hope you're a business major. As a rule, classic cars are lousy investments, but if bought right will at least increase in value along with inflation.

And a bit more fun than a Mutual Fund wink.gif
SLITS
barf.gif
Root_Werks
I hope this link works:

http://www.detroitautoworks.com/vehicle.as...ke&Make=Porsche

It is the brown/black 914 I have made 3 offers on over 2 years. The last one they said $4k and I walked.
Root_Werks
Here is what color it originally was. Note they don't have the floor mats in. Becuase the rear window seal is shot and the car sits outside. sad.gif The first offer I ever made on the car was for $4500 when it was all nice and shiny brown about 20 months ago? idea.gif They laughed at me.
anthony
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 7 2005, 08:53 AM)

well i dont remember what the 914 cost back then? I remember somewhere around 4K, so just go to the site and adjust that for 4K. People make alot more money now than they did.....

My uncle's new '74 2L was about $8,000 out the door.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 7 2005, 07:53 AM)

And my parents first house payment was $75 a month many, many moons ago. laugh.gif

Thanks for doing the math, but yeah, I think we pretty much figured that. I guess I should have said that a good 20K miled 914 will be going for $10K+ these days. I wasn't talking about the decent 100K miled 73 2.0 for $5-6K. More premiun 914's that would be similar to something you could have bought new, when new. If that makes sense? confused24.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Feb 7 2005, 08:18 AM)
And my parents first house payment was $75 a month many, many moons ago. laugh.gif

Thanks for doing the math, but yeah, I think we pretty much figured that. I guess I should have said that a good 20K miled 914 will be going for $10K+ these days. I wasn't talking about the decent 100K miled 73 2.0 for $5-6K. More premiun 914's that would be similar to something you could have bought new, when new. If that makes sense? confused24.gif

point well taken wink.gif
Bleyseng
What cost $7500 (price of a 76 914) in 1976 would cost $24508.29 in 2003. Same price as my 2003 Passat. This seems low compared to where the 914 was in the market place back then. I paid $5000 for my new Dasher in 76 after test driving a 76 914 at the same Dealer. Just couldn't get the wife to agree on buying the 914 for over $7500. I would say that in todays marketplace the 914 would be a $30000 car like the Audi TT.

Geoff
bd1308
well Howard, actually I am a mechanical engineer (or studying to be). The guys at Premiere thought that was a fine choice as a supplement to haveing a 914, unless I ever purchased a british sport car....then i'd need to be a electrical engineer....thanks to Lucas wink.gif
boxstr
Dan I remeber that car from along time back. I only saw it with the black paint. Looks good all wet. I will take a look, if still there when I deliver the blue car.

I have a window sticker from a 1976 factory black 914 2.0 included aBlaupunkt am/fm/8 track/cb radio, nice car. $7680.89 out the door.

Alos speaking of 914 prices, it is hard to know where they are really going when you don't have honest and complete figures to use for calculations.
Auctions are not a true value of a car, only the "auction " value of a car. They do not represent an "arms length trancation" where you negotiate with the seller the final price(value) of a car.
An auction is to the highest bidder and not to what is a fair and reasonable value.
I have attended enough auctions, and read enough in Sports Car Market and dicussed with the "experts" to learn what the real value of a car is. It is not on ebay.PERIOD Those are just indicators of what you might expect to sell the car for on that market, the ebay market.
Look at the "bidders", and I use the term loosely, on the Tarzana car auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4525636228&rd=1
CCLINPD
Howard
Craig, so what's your take on the 'real' values of the 22k+ 6 and the 15k+ 4? Were these foolish buys? I realize that collectors pay the damndest prices for the damndest things in general.
skline
Howard, if you need me to go by and look at that car, its very close to me. I acan go over and look it over and take more pictures of anything you need. Just let me know.

Always here to serve biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
Craig, that black car is really worth the $4k they wanted the other day. I know it runs and drives out really nice. It just ticked me off was all. The whole situation did. I probably should have picked up the car? There is a couple of inches of water in the rear trunk now. This car is about 2 weeks from starting to rust. If someone can grab it, they will be it's savior. biggrin.gif
boxstr
Howard those were good buys if they are going to be an end user. If they bought then at that price to resale, no they were not good buys.
The car you are looking at is worth price if you get the 914-6 heat exchangers, you might be able to sell those, depending on condition, for much more than purchase price as of the posting.
Looks like a good project car, I am not a big fan of color change.
CCLINPD
anthony
I think when you look at these types of car individually it's easy to come to the conclusion that a mint condtion/restored 914-6 or 914-4 are still relative bargains as classic cars go.

The 914 still costs way more to restore one than it will be worth. If you restore paint, engine, tranny and interior on a 914-4 you're into the car for at least $15K not to mention the hundreds of hours you'll put in. On a 914-6 you might come close to breaking even on a restoration.

I'd still classify these cars as a "cheap thrill". Someone may say that $15K isn't cheap for a 914 but many people out there loose that much in depreciation in a few years on their daily driver vehicle.

bd1308
Dan, what you did was freggin hillarious! I alughed out loud during the class i was taking a test in when i heard that. Then I had to explain how I thought drawing dimensions and doing SolidWorks Part sketches were so funny.....but that was awesome. I bet that sales guy felt stupid.
mightyohm
Are the prices really going up or is the internet just bringing new suckers ready to be ripped off by cars that are not what they seem? I think the internet and forums like this board also serve to artificially bump up the prices of cars because they created a "perceived value" that may not match up with what the average 914 is really selling for.

Hmmm....
Bleyseng
No way, pristine 914's were going for 6000-7500 10 years ago now they are 10-14,000.

Geoff
Howard
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 7 2005, 09:44 AM)
well Howard, actually I am a mechanical engineer (or studying to be). The guys at Premiere thought that was a fine choice as a supplement to haveing a 914, unless I ever purchased a british sport car....then i'd need to be a electrical engineer....thanks to Lucas wink.gif

Sorry to lose a bright young guy to the dark side. Real money is in the business world. BSME is OK, but go on for your MBA. Then you can hire all the engineers you want biggrin.gif

And I've jousted with Lucas, Prince of Darkness. EE won't help you there wacko.gif
anthony
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 7 2005, 02:24 PM)
No way, pristine 914's were going for 6000-7500 10 years ago now they are 10-14,000.

Geoff

My uncle sold his pristine '74 2L about 10 years ago for $10K. See attached pic.
bd1308
QUOTE (Howard @ Feb 7 2005, 01:38 PM)
And I've jousted with Lucas, Prince of Darkness.  EE won't help you there  :wacko:

yeah here's a little story. Now i'm not sure when Lucas stopped doing stuff to brit cars, but there was a 1980ish Jaguar XJ6 sitting in the porsche shop. My starter or something broke (it's broke now too....this time it's griniding or something) and all the time i was there I heard then cranking and cranking and cranking and cranking on the starter. I looked over, saw it was a early Jag and asked what was going on. They just said that it was trypical old jag stuff.....thought it was funny, but i guess you had to be there. On another side note, my dad had a MG Midget....he said it was $hit and he kept on snapping axles....that'll ruin your day wink.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 7 2005, 01:11 PM)
Dan, what you did was freggin hillarious! I alughed out loud during the class i was taking a test in when i heard that. Then I had to explain how I thought drawing dimensions and doing SolidWorks Part sketches were so funny.....but that was awesome. I bet that sales guy felt stupid.

happy11.gif I pretty much screwed myself from being able to buy that car now too. Guess I shouldn't slap.gif alfred.gif the sales people huh?

bd1308
naw man....if the price is right....
MecGen
Hey everybody
Just thought i'd rant for a while. What is the market value of a 914, personal value is already set at priceless. I found this site when playing with the idea of selling my 914, and needed a guage other then EBay. I snooped and looked at just about any car that came into view on the net. I have tracked the price to be found around the 3000$ to 4000$ dollar range, this seems to be a popular price. High priced beasts just seem to expire, hopefully sold. I have seen guys on this site buy a car in this price range, and within a few month are changing rockers, floors, suspension body parts, etc... thumbs up, more on the road the better !. Just doesn't seem like a 4000$ car anymore. The 914s are easy to work on compared to most of the excotics, so a homemade resto is a possibility.
Now you complicate this with a "mod" factor, either it gives value or takes it away. I have never seen a model of car vary in prices like the 914s. Boils down to - how much work you want to do ? I have the most perfect 914 I have ever seen and still doubled the purchase price with the restor . This car was born with good or bad taste, depends how you look at it, and buyer will decide each cars price. This is whats good about this board, if you have a good one, you have the 914 fans all here. Most serious offers I got on my car came from 914 owners.
I think a 914 is like wine, 10$ bottles to 2000$ bottles
Great thred
WBR
Joe
914werke
Ok so heres an experiance ...from Today!
Last night looking at craiglist and see a new car pop up. Ad is updated very shortly thereafter with a cople of poor pics. 74 1.8, ad says alloys but the pics show rivs (at least they were the correct ones.) Pass. frt. fender swipe.
Ad indicates No RUST in usually places biggrin.gif
Emailed the indv. and got a reply with location to chk it out and a Cell #.
Called him today and asked the usuall questions. Still FI'ed, bad brakes (from sitting) no tags. Only owned it for 4 months. Runs and drives.
$1500
So I go chk it out while on lunch break with plans of meeting up after wrk for a more thourough look see.
White & tan int. not externally rusty (other than the fender) but obvious the car has been out doors for some time wacko.gif
A tap on the rockers around the jack posts indicated a gardiners dream lol2.gif
Int. was trashed but it was a complet car in reasonable shape painted bumpers, fogs and a center console (couldnt tell if it had anti sways).
prolly worth the 1K to 1500 depending on the rust.
But buy 3pm ...the owner called me and said its already been sold cool_shades.gif

buck toenges
When my dad bought his '70 914 he paid $3500.00 by 1976 them da*n things were $7800.00. What happen during those years? Was the dollar devalued? Or was there mucho inflation going on? Must have been the first oil crisis. I remember my dad wanted a Mercedes that went for 7 grand but decided to get the ford country squire wagon with a 390 for 5 grand.

My dad should have listen to me that year. While he was cruising the plymouth dealer for the sports family truckster I spied a blue super bird and a lime green 'cuda with a shaker hood in the show room. As he was talking to the salesman I yelled over "hey Dad, how 'bout these!" He turns around looks at me and the two cars and turns around as if I wasn't there. You know He still doesn't listen to me!

Then again he just bought one of those small caddy suv. He had to have it right then and there. I asked how the awd works in the snow. "AWD? They got a caddy suv with awd? He got a rwd version with a 300+hp northstar. The man just doesn't ever learn. wacko.gif
skline
Was it Craig that swooped it up? You know he will do that if nobody tells him they are looking at it.
anthony
QUOTE (buck toenges @ Feb 7 2005, 06:55 PM)
When my dad bought his '70 914 he paid $3500.00 by 1976 them da*n things were $7800.00. What happen during those years? Was the dollar devalued? Or was there mucho inflation going on?

I thought it was because VW's management had changed and basically screwed Porsche on the deal. VW raised the price of the bodies and the price of the 914 went up drastically.
Seagrave
Two (or maybe three) kinds of people. People who keep what they have. People who enjoy the opportunity to trade around and always have something to work on. (and people who will sell anything if the price is right). When I was younger, just outta college and married, I sold my British car (second owner and I never had electrical problems...and the axles don't break on Sprites if you put in a new one instead of used). I always regretted that I sold it until I bought my 914. Now I have done what I want to make the car the way I like it and I wouldn't sell it at any price. I like it and as long as I have crossed that AARP barrier, I don't see any reason to make $5K or $10K just to get rid of something that brings me so much happiness. I've done track days (managing to put it off on nearly every corner at PIR at one time or another), auto-x, and rallye. These days my favorite activity is just taking the 914 for a long drive on the back roads. My $.02. driving.gif
jd74914
user posted image

It looks like a TR7; The Wedge. My friend calls his the horror

And they did it to a 6 barf.gif barf.gif
Rocky
Dan, that poor Brown/black teener did not deserve the vicious pimp-slap these used car hacks imposed on her. bs.gif If you think this is worth a save, and it prolly is, I would be happy to assist in lowering them and their price for you.

Im sure even "Dirty Sanchez Motors" has a weakness. cool_shades.gif

Tim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.