Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: planning my new 914 garage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
siverson
i just decided to move a couple trees and got rid of the whole dirt penisula thing.
siverson
914Click to view attachment
db9146
The garage is looking great!!!

Couple of ideas on the electrical and air plumbing.

I have a 28 x 30 garage and ran two 20 amp circuits to each outlet (one circuit with gray outlets and another with white outlets) so that at any point in the garage, if I had high electrical demands, I'd have two circuits readily available.

I also plumbed in air lines inside each wall spaced the outlets so when using air tools, I can just use a shorter hose to the nearest outlet w/o snaking an air line all over the place (be sure to install an outlet near at least one garage door for outside use). I also recessed one of the retractable air reels into the ceiling between the two primary bays near the center of the garage for air access there.

Lastly, and I realize it might be a little late for you on this one, but when I built my detached garage, I used a 14" I-beam to span the width of the garage. I then used truss floor joists across the top of the i-beam for the 2nd story floor that I used for car part storage upstairs. The floor joists left about 4" of the I-beam exposed across the garage ceiling which works great for a chain hoist trolley that I can use when unloading anything too heavy for me to deal with by myself.

And I agree, you can never have too much light!!
Cairo94507
Oh heck no! For me, I love watching cement work, construction, anything that involves building stuff. It amazes me to see experts make it look so easy. Looking very good bye1.gif
bandjoey
don't forget the LAN wires for hot internet access... What a garage.
DRPHIL914
is that earthquake resistant concrete? poke.gif
siverson
> don't forget the LAN wires for hot internet access

Yup, it's in there!

-Steve
siverson
A visitor...

-Steve
siverson
Framing

siverson
siverson
Stucco

PlantMan
QUOTE(siverson @ Jun 24 2015, 10:18 PM) *

Who is responsible for the artwork left of the garage door???
siverson
> Who is responsible for the artwork left of the garage door???

Ha. No idea. Not me.
EdwardBlume
Nice work! first.gif
Cairo94507
Very cool - looking nice.
rhodyguy
smart move straightening out the stone retaining wall now rather than after the driveway is in. sooner or later the wall was going to tattoo one of your cars. the plan to put the lift in the bay forward of the tree seemed a bit awkward. did you relocate and save the tree?
siverson
yup i have tried to save the persimmon tree but we will see. it doesnt look to good so far....
rhodyguy
try Liquinox B-1 transplant solution as per the instructions. a light pruning of any dead branches. set up a soaker hose and place it around the root ball perimeter to the drip line and 2-3 inches of some sort of mulch over the the surface. DEEP water to keep the roots from trying to surface to find water. give the tree a fighting chance.
siverson
Slow progress (more on the house), but drywall went up today.

-Steve

siverson
siverson
Concrete this week... ?!?! (was supposed to be last week)

-Steve
Maltese Falcon
Make sure that the sealed deck above your garage is 110% water proofed.
Get a reputable deck contractor/waterproofer. Don't let your GC talk you into the carpenter or roofer doing your deck prep/coatings/ flashing/ counter-flashing.
Been there done that, not only are water leaks annoying on the cars below...the hidden water damage to the wood structure is hella dangerous blink.gif
Great new crib , enjoy it !
Marty
siverson
texture, stone, getting ready to pour driveway
siverson
siverson
Cairo94507
Making very nice progress.

I remember in my last house having a 21 yard concrete driveway poured, exposed aggregate with a brick border. I got 23 years out of that before we sold that house.

In my new (old) house I am going to go with stamped concrete for the driveway, patio, walkways, etc. That is probably still 2 years out as we finish up the inside and then remodel the garage after the inside. I can't wait for the garage! My Six will need a nice place to live.
siverson
rebar
siverson
concrete
rhodyguy
That's a large amount of flat work! Looks like your house is in a beautiful area. Once the walls get covered things tend to speed up. Makes everybody happy.
eric9144
Damn that's looking great! You've got to be exited as heck to be nearing the completion of the construction! beerchug.gif
siverson
> You've got to be exited as heck to be nearing the completion of the construction

Yup. We bought the house more than a year ago, but are finally moving in this weekend.

I'm honestly more looking forward to not having a giant "house project", than I am actually living in the "new" house. Hopefully the house projects start to be much smaller soon, and then I can get back to putting my orange car back together.

-Steve
siverson
no garage doors (problem with order), still a ton to do, but weve moved in...
mepstein
Very nice! Enjoy.
JmuRiz
B-ball goal is so low, the 914 can dunk on it smile.gif

Best of luck on the doors, they can make/break a design.
BTW I've always loved a 914/6 in Irish green!
rhodyguy
Congrats! The low aspect of the bed stones is a nice touch.
Cairo94507
Very exciting- congratulations.
siverson
> the 914 can dunk on it

And so can my 6yo!

-Steve
KELTY360
Man, that concrete looks so pristine. Do you screen your friends to make sure their cars don't leak oil? I'd hate to leave the first spot. ar15.gif
siverson
lift

siverson
euro911
Nice garage, Steve! drooley.gif

I'll be gearing up for some garage modifications at our new place soon, so soaking up all the ideas brought up in this thread idea.gif

Our new RV garage has very high ceiling, so I'm planning on some adding lighting low along the walls illuminating the underbelly of anything that's on the 4-post lift aktion035.gif

Can't wait to see your project finished with the new doors popcorn[1].gif
siverson
geez i hate unpacking. for those of you that move actual shops: i dont know how you do it. i still have a lot of organizing and cleaning to do, but i actually parked my car in the garage for the first time tonight. yay.

siverson
siverson
siverson
euro911
drooley.gif
rhodyguy
You sprung for the fancy liftmaster door openers. aktion035.gif smart move. I love the one I bought. Eliminating the ceiling motor and drive system makes for such a clean install and opens up the space overhead. The lighted door is very cool too.
Cairo94507
Congratulations. I love the lift in the center stall.
siverson
> You sprung for the fancy liftmaster door openers. aktion035.gif smart move

Yes I used two of the wall mount lifters. On the side glass door I had to, because that door actually slides up above the single door.

And I used one above the lift to provide just a little more height (if needed) when the garage door is down.

-Steve
rhodyguy
The relatively small price dif compared to chain or screw drives makes the wall mounts a no brainer. The self locking feature is sweet too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.