Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's a . . . six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Maltese Falcon
Steve, great reunion with the original engine and a real honest seller . This almost sounds like it was scripted for an episode of
Chasing Classic Cars...but in this instance your story rings true, not a Hollywood script !
Now just find that transaxle and you will own the lost treasure " Maltese Falcon" pray.gif
Marty
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(stevegm @ Jun 29 2015, 06:51 PM) *

Thanks to everyone for the conrats. I am so excited, and thankful to 914world, to possibly be able to reunite the original engine with the car. My kids woke up this morning to me jumping in their bed yelling that we had found the engine. They were not amused.

Now the real work begins. I spoke with Drola today. He is a very nice guy. I don't think he was completely happy with the 2.0 anyway. He is willing to swap the 914-6 engine for a good-running engine (maybe a 2.4 or 2.7 Liter), with carbs. It has to have carbs.

So, I am looking for an engine to swap him. If anyone knows of one, please PM me.

Thanks,
Steve

Well, I would say it's not a problem to find an engine, also in the states. The question is how much are you willing to spend?
stevegm
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 29 2015, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Jun 29 2015, 11:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 29 2015, 10:06 AM) *

I noticed the COA has the trans # recorded as well (unusual). I hope you've got that already Steve & don't have to go looking for it. smile.gif

Nope. We'll be looking for the tranny too.

stromberg.gif
Neither one of my COA's have the trans number recorded, however I'm 99.999... % sure my LE has the original tranny bolted to the original engine. biggrin.gif
My six has neither it's original engine & I'm pretty sure the trans is not original either, since it's a side shifter w/ a Quaiffe & bergspyder gears. happy11.gif

I'd love to find the original tranny. But, I won't hold my breath. I am tickled beyond words to find the engine though. What a blessing. 20 years ago, without 914world, this wouldn't have happened. Gotta give praise to the forum, and Drola. This car is turning into a neat story. And after we restore it (as bad as it is), maybe it will give inspiration to others to restore theirs.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(stevegm @ Jun 29 2015, 05:15 PM) *

I'd love to find the original tranny. But, I won't hold my breath. I am tickled beyond words to find the engine though. What a blessing. 20 years ago, without 914world, this wouldn't have happened. Gotta give praise to the forum, and Drola. This car is turning into a neat story. And after we restore it (as bad as it is), maybe it will give inspiration to others to restore theirs.

agree.gif 100%. Without 914world this would have been beyond unlikely. Take your time fixing up the six Steve- more chance of finding the right tail shifter if you do. Meantime get a hold of Dr. Evil & see if he can "forge" you a tail shifter happy11.gif
stevegm
Update - I think we have located a 2.7 L engine that is complete including sheet metal, alternator, etc. John Forbes (Black Forest Racing) has offered to rebuild the engine for Drola. So he would get a newly-rebuilt 2.7 L engine. We are still looking for carbs.

This is the current plan if we don't find a deal on a ready-to-go engine. So if you know of a 2.4 - 2.7 L engine for sale, please still PM me. Or if you have a set of carbs, I'd love to here from you.
saigon71
Fantastic story!

Congrats on finding this 2.0 needle in the haystack Steve and cheers to 914 world and it's members. beerchug.gif
mskala
PM sent about carbs
stevegm
QUOTE(mskala @ Jun 30 2015, 08:32 AM) *

PM sent about carbs

Thanks. I am not sure if the 914-6 IDTP carbs will work on the 2.7 L. I will ask John. Drola's 914-6 motor has carbs. We need to locate carbs for the 2.7 L engine we are swapping with him.
billh1963
QUOTE(stevegm @ Jun 30 2015, 08:01 AM) *

Update - I think we have located a 2.7 L engine that is complete including sheet metal, alternator, etc. John Forbes (Black Forest Racing) has offered to rebuild the engine for Drola. So he would get a newly-rebuilt 2.7 L engine. We are still looking for carbs.

This is the current plan if we don't find a deal on a ready-to-go engine. So if you know of a 2.4 - 2.7 L engine for sale, please still PM me. Or if you have a set of carbs, I'd love to here from you.

So....is that 2.7 the one I gave you contact information on? If not, let me know as I've had a couple of people PM me wanting to buy that engine.

stevegm
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 1 2015, 09:56 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Jun 30 2015, 08:01 AM) *

So....is that 2.7 the one I gave you contact information on? If not, let me know as I've had a couple of people PM me wanting to buy that engine.

Sorry. I was out of town today. It is a different 2.7 that someone had fairly nearby.
Peashooter
914-6 carbs work fine on a 2.7. You just need to change the chokes, jets, etc.
fixer34
Where does one find the trans serial number? I want to document it for my /6, but I also have a spare tailshifter I picked up a while ago 'just in case'.
914bub
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jul 4 2015, 03:59 PM) *

Where does one find the trans serial number? I want to document it for my /6, but I also have a spare tailshifter I picked up a while ago 'just in case'.

It can be found on the center "rib" that runs lengthwise down the bottom of the Transaxle. I bought a few side shift trannies and found a great site online to ID them. Can't find it now but I'll post if I find it again.
914Sixer
Numbers are not on the rib for the -6 transmission, see pictures.
fixer34
Trans thread moved here...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=259204
Krieger
FWIW Mcmark has a complete running hopped up 2.7 laying around he is getting rid of...
stevegm
Update - I think we have found a 2.7 L engine. It should arrive at Black Forest tomorrow. John Forbes is going to rebuild it for Drola. I think we have also found a set of carbs for the engine.

It wasn't really on my radar that we would find the engine this fast. My wife says I am more than welcome to spend whatever I want on 914s. As long as I sell off the same amount of 914 parts/cars to pay for it. :-)

I have a bunch of 914 parts that I simply don't need. Tons of parts - hoods, doors, trunk lids, handles, you name it. It is time to unload some parts. I will be posting them in the classifieds soon.
stevegm
Exciting day. The 2.7 L engine that Black Forest is rebuilding for Drola arrived today. They will start rebuilding it next week. Then it is off to trade for the 914-6 engine. I still can't believe that we found the original engine. What a blessing.
stevegm
Black forest completely disassembled the 2.7 last week. No surprises. Waiting on bearings and gaskets now. Then time to reassemble it.
stevegm
I found an NOS driver's side inner long (thanks Pete at Restoration Design). Now I am looking for an NOS passenger side inner long.
stevegm
It has been a hectic couple of weeks. We found a 2.7L to trade to Drola for the six's original engine, and John Forbes rebuilt it. Full rebuild - all new bearings, gaskets, etc. It should be done Monday. Then my son and I are going to take the 2.7L to Drola and help him put it in his car. Can't wait. After all these years, the six engine and car will be back together.
Al Meredith
Steve, will you be at Octeenerfest next month? I too have a 6 I'm restoring and we can compare stories. The 914-6 transmission has a different rear shift linkage from either of the 4 cyl cars. Feel fee to stop in on your way to or from Miami. AL
stevegm
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Aug 7 2015, 06:53 PM) *

Steve, will you be at Octeenerfest next month? I too have a 6 I'm restoring and we can compare stories. The 914-6 transmission has a different rear shift linkage from either of the 4 cyl cars. Feel fee to stop in on your way to or from Miami. AL

I will be at Okteenerfest. I would love to talk about the restorations. When I go to Florida, though, I'll be heading down 95, so I won't go through Atlanta.
stevegm
It's done. The original engine is coming home.
Cairo94507
Just so you know Steve- I hate you a little bit beerchug.gif

Seriously, I wish I had that kind of luck. I would do the same thing. I would still put the 3,2 in but I would keep that 2.0 crated and stored in case my son ever wants to install it in the car. He is only twelve now so I would hopefully get to drive it for a while first.
dlee6204
aktion035.gif
Johny Blackstain
thumb3d.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Aug 14 2015, 08:58 PM) *

Steve, are you coming back home on 95 today (saturday?) If so wondering about when you will pass thru south carolina! We are just off the Hilton head island exit (#8), about 5 miles. In fact I will ha e 914 at a cars and coffee in the morning, 8-11 am. Unless you wend up Friday in which case we missed you.
Phil
infraredcalvin
pray.gif

Buy a lotto ticket too! Nice score!
EdwardBlume
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 15 2015, 12:40 AM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Aug 14 2015, 08:58 PM) *

Steve, are you coming back home on 95 today (saturday?) If so wondering about when you will pass thru south carolina! We are just off the Hilton head island exit (#8), about 5 miles. In fact I will ha e 914 at a cars and coffee in the morning, 8-11 am. Unless you wend up Friday in which case we missed you.
Phil

I will PM you.
stevegm
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 14 2015, 09:02 PM) *

Just so you know Steve- I hate you a little bit beerchug.gif

Seriously, I wish I had that kind of luck. I would do the same thing. I would still put the 3,2 in but I would keep that 2.0 crated and stored in case my son ever wants to install it in the car. He is only twelve now so I would hopefully get to drive it for a while first.

Thanks. I am still amazed. I have to admit that it was cool that when I pulled onto the highway to leave South Florida, Rod Stewart's "Some guys have all the luck" came on the radio. It's just not usually me. biggrin.gif
stevegm
I am pleased to report that - yes, a 914-6 engine will fit in the back of a rental Hyundai Santa Fe.

The engine swap went well. Thanks Pedro and his friends for helping with the swap. Also thank you John Forbes and Black Forest Racing for rebuilding the 2.7. I think this is certainly an example of just how much the Internet has changed things. 20 or 30 years ago we would never have located the original engine (the unlikely story of how Pedro found my thread is pretty cool. I'll post it later). 914world is awesome.

I think I saw the car smile when I rolled the engine into the garage.
Maltese Falcon
Steve your six will look sharp restored in blue.
Someone's 918 parked in the pits at Monterey this weekend would make for a cool photo session with a blue six aktion035.gif Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Wow. Very interesting journey. Wonder how long ago the engine was separated from the car?
rick 918-S
Another gem coming your way too. Slowly but surely you'll have the stuff for your build. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 16 2015, 01:33 PM) *

Wow. Very interesting journey. Wonder how long ago the engine was separated from the car?

Unfortunately, I don't know. I have been trying to figure it out. The original engine came out of a '74 911 that had been wrecked pretty badly. I think the engine came out of the car a long, long time ago.
stevegm
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 16 2015, 01:44 PM) *

Another gem coming your way too. Slowly but surely you'll have the stuff for your build. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

Yep. I came home to this package - an early driver's-side outer longitudinal. Thank you Rick.
Drola
It is great to see the motor and the car is the same shot.
Steve is truly enthusiastic about getting his 6 back on the road and it is great that he will be sharing it with his son.
The 2.7 is still breaking in but i have no doubt it will be a great motor.
From the series of events from how the car came to Steve and now the motor there is no doubt this was meant to be biggrin.gif
stevegm
A big thank you to Steve Limbert at Air-Cooled Racing for bringing me an original 6 transmission to Okteenerfest. Piece by piece we are getting what we need to put this car back on the road.

Right now we am looking for:
1. NOS passenger inner long, and outer long.
2. NOS front fenders, rear quarter panels, and sail panels.
3. Any NOS sheet metal, really.
4. Six relay board.
5. Six shift bar from the firewall to the tranny.
6. Six carb linkage bellcrank, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.