Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's a . . . six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mike Bellis
Check your local Porsche dealer. Much of the trim is available.
stevegm
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 4 2015, 06:16 PM) *

Check your local Porsche dealer. Much of the trim is available.

Thanks. Do the dealers really stock it? Or do they order it. Just curious. I wonder how much they run. I saw this set and figured I would grab it.
Mike Bellis
I ordered targa trim and had it in 2 days. It is stocked in a warehouse somewhere.
djporsche
find a motor yet?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...-6414063-a.html
Cairo94507
That is a '71 Six motor biggrin.gif .
djporsche
oops. headbang.gif my bad . biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Nope, not bad at all. Anytime one of these motors comes on the market I always hope it finds its way back to the car in which it belongs.
djporsche
this one is 6405500 901/38

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...-6405500-a.html
stevegm
Found an NOS hood. Never seen rain.
Luke M
QUOTE(djporsche @ May 11 2015, 12:33 PM) *

Make me a reasonable offer and it could be yours... beerchug.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(Luke M @ May 15 2015, 03:49 PM) *

After I get the COA, maybe we'll talk. I am waiting for that to start hunting for the engine.
stevegm
Scored a 914-6 oil tank. Thanks Jim. I will put this to very good use.
Cairo94507
Sweet.
stevegm
Came back from vacation to a voicemail from Porsche. It appears I am looking for engine number - 6405528

Wish me luck.
banananose914
If you find 6404962 let me know. There is a bounty for this wanted engine
stevegm
QUOTE(banananose914 @ Jun 1 2015, 08:00 PM) *

If you find 6404962 let me know. There is a bounty for this wanted engine

What's the bounty? :-)

I have an idea - I think we will dedicate a page in the magazine in each issue to those looking for specific engines.
AV8TOR
QUOTE(Luke M @ May 15 2015, 01:49 PM) *

Steve, give me a call when you get a chance. I know a fellow here in Colorado Springs who has a bastard 2.0L engine that he has been looking for a home for
for some time. He says it is a "6" motor. I did look at it some time ago but had
no interest in it as my 914-6 restoration has a matching ## motor. I do not know what the engine ## is but would not be to hard to have the owner look. You never know what might turn up.
Tom Mitchell 719/210-8926
Drola
Dude, i have your motor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Engine number 6405528 type 901/38
I have it installed in a 1969 912-6
It runs great.
WOW !! This is stuff you only read about.
So now what ?????
mepstein
popcorn[1].gif
914Next
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
dangerranger01
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(dangerranger01 @ Jun 28 2015, 10:59 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif
popcorn[1].gif
dudzy's914
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif ...this will be interesting
914bub
Wow Steve, Second best day of your life? (Car wise...) piratenanner.gif
toolguy
Wonder if this has a happy ending. . ??
amazing that it was located. cheer.gif
Drola
Kinda funny story of how i got this motor. I bought the 912 with a blown 2.4 and posted it up for sale. Nobody wanted it so i set out to find a plug and play motor that i could drop in and go. Originally looking for a carbed 2.4-2.7 or something similar. A good friend of mine parts out 911's and called me to tell me he bought a very smashed (in front) 1974 911s targa and asked if i wanted the motor. He said it was a carbed 2.7 so I immediately agreed to buy it. Once i had it on the stand adjusting valves and such i noticed the post where a normal 911 engine has its serial number was blank, almost looked like it was ground off. Oh great i thought. A hot potato motor. After some more tinkering with it i noticed the serial number on the top. Hmmm, never seen that before. So i did a little research and found out this is actually a 1970 914-6 2 litre motor. To be honest i was somewhat disappointed at first but figured that it is what it is and it's going in my car regardless. I also thought if i could find the person with the matching chassis this story would get interesting. I should have known by the lack of a green fan shroud that it was not a 2.7 but oh well, i was just excited to get the 912 going.
For no reason in particular today i open up 914world just to snoop around and i come across this thread. The stars are aligning for steve. I noticed he posted up the engine number less than a month ago. Wow!! Most people would be on this hunt for years and probably give up before they ever find the correct motor, especially being with someone who is not at all in the 914 circles.
Myself personally am into 911's and am very active on pelican parts and somewhat on rennlist.
So as the question was asked before, what happens now?? Steve, you need to contact me.
pete000
WOW that is too cool to find the engine.

Wish I could find 6404089 ! ! !
siverson
That's pretty neat.

smilie_pokal.gif

-Steve
dug
Sweet car. Love the Adriatic Blue. So cool that this list found yet another motor for it's car. I just shipped one from my stash to Texas to meet it's car.
So we all know your engine number… What's the VIN?
Us obsessive-compulsive types must have it on our list:)
thanks,
dug
stevegm

Dude, i have your motor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Engine number 6405528 type 901/38
I have it installed in a 1969 912-6
It runs great.
WOW !! This is stuff you only read about.
So now what ?????

Wow! That's awesome. Now what. I'm not sure. I didn't expect we'd actually find it. Much less so fast. It just goes to show how wonderful 914world is. Big shout out to sirandy and the others that keep the forum running.

I PM'd you. Let's talk by phone and see what our options are.

What a great day! You made my Monday.

Thanks,
Steve
EdwardBlume
Wow, what a cool connection! You just never know..... beerchug.gif
stevegm
Its a match. . . . made in Stuttgart. As great as it is to wake up Monday morning to this, I have to admit that I am a little stressed now. But, It is good stress. :-) It will be interesting to see if we can put this car's engine back with its car. This will definitely be a story for the magazine.
gereed75
Great news for you Steve piratenanner.gif

Now who can help out with a reasonably priced replacement motor for Drola's very nice looking 912?? These things are getting hard to find!!
billh1963
I can put you in contact with a guy who has a complete 2.7L with documented good compression and leak down numbers. He wants $4750 and is on the East Coast.

BTW..it's NOT me! I have no financial interest in this deal.

PM me if you want contact info
Cairo94507
Steve- I would run right out and but a Lotto ticket! That is crazy luck. Now you just need to put that deal together. Congratulations.
sb914
Wow, what luck! Good for you!
rick 918-S
Remember it's still only a 2.0T engine. No one wanted those engines. a lowly 2.0T 911 engine is mostly a door stop to 911 guys. Nice to reunite it to the car but I have seen some crazy stuff going on when 914-6 engines hit the classifieds and ebay. As long as you both realize the engine is still only a 2.0 you may be able to get the engine back. Great story.
Drola
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 29 2015, 09:23 AM) *

Remember it's still only a 2.0T engine. No one wanted those engines. a lowly 2.0T 911 engine is mostly a door stop to 911 guys. Nice to reunite it to the car but I have seen some crazy stuff going on when 914-6 engines hit the classifieds and ebay. As long as you both realize the engine is still only a 2.0 you may be able to get the engine back. Great story.

yes, i agree it's only a 2.0T motor. however, the correct motor makes a world of difference in the value of the car as a whole.
the last 914-6 engine i saw was a long block of unknown condition that sold for close to $7500. i believe it was posted here on 914world and also on fleebay. at least that's the one i saw. there may be more and prices might be even crazier.
that being said i am a certified car nut and can appreciate and understand steve's position on this.
steve, i pm'd you with my number. let's talk and make this happen
Johny Blackstain
I noticed the COA has the trans # recorded as well (unusual). I hope you've got that already Steve & don't have to go looking for it. smile.gif
Wow..Great story..Everything will work out..Congrats..
Shadowfax
That is too cool. Kudos to Drola for wanting to make the car whole again.
gms
QUOTE(Drola @ Jun 29 2015, 08:45 AM) *

...that being said i am a certified car nut and can appreciate and understand steve's position on this.

Drola,
Glad to hear that you are NOT one of those who would try and profit just because you ended up with someones original engine. This is my worst fear about my missing engine...I find it and the guy wants $10k for it.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Jun 29 2015, 08:50 AM) *

That is too cool. Kudos to Drola for wanting to make the car whole again.

agree.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 29 2015, 10:06 AM) *

I noticed the COA has the trans # recorded as well (unusual). I hope you've got that already Steve & don't have to go looking for it. smile.gif

Nope. We'll be looking for the tranny too.
stevegm
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 29 2015, 08:37 AM) *

Steve- I would run right out and but a Lotto ticket! That is crazy luck. Now you just need to put that deal together. Congratulations.

I know right. First we found a 6 in North Carolina (easy to convince the wife to go see it). Then is was blue - my wife and my favorite 914 color. Now we've found the engine. The 914 stars are aligned, it seems.
eric9144
beerchug.gif Congratulations Steve, what luck!! beerchug.gif
gandalf_025
Although it might be a lowly 2.0 T engine.. It is currently in a car running well from what has been posted. For the deal to work, the owner of the engine will have to be "made whole" again. He needs to find out what the cost to replace the engine with a good running engine and the labor and time necessary to get the car back in the condition it is now and decide if he wants to put the car down for the amount of time needed to do the swap.
If it was just a bare case or a core motor sitting on the floor of a shop it would be one thing. This deal will require taking apart a running driving car..

And the 911 guys may have looked down on early engines in the past.. Now, many are also looking for the matching number engines for their cars.

Given the prices of early T 911's ... They are getting pricier..

Just my 2 cents.
stevegm
Thanks to everyone for the conrats. I am so excited, and thankful to 914world, to possibly be able to reunite the original engine with the car. My kids woke up this morning to me jumping in their bed yelling that we had found the engine. They were not amused.

Now the real work begins. I spoke with Drola today. He is a very nice guy. I don't think he was completely happy with the 2.0 anyway. He is willing to swap the 914-6 engine for a good-running engine (maybe a 2.4 or 2.7 Liter), with carbs. It has to have carbs.

So, I am looking for an engine to swap him. If anyone knows of one, please PM me.

Thanks,
Steve
Chris H.
This is pretty amazing. Congrats Steve.

If you find the tranny I'll....never mind. You just might.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(stevegm @ Jun 29 2015, 11:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 29 2015, 10:06 AM) *

Nope. We'll be looking for the tranny too.

stromberg.gif
Neither one of my COA's have the trans number recorded, however I'm 99.999... % sure my LE has the original tranny bolted to the original engine. biggrin.gif
My six has neither it's original engine & I'm pretty sure the trans is not original either, since it's a side shifter w/ a Quaiffe & bergspyder gears. happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.