I bet these are real evilgrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914_teener
All this over some bad Fallopian tubes........

The link posted says in "name" only. So if they say "Genuine Weber" that means in name only. You got what you paid for.

All the rest doesn't matter....whether or not the company has a CPK analysis done...union shop....blaah blaah...

More reason just to keep D-jet or other FI system.

Let's face it folks...the market for air-cooled performance carburetors is not a growing market.

Sorry.
DBCooper
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 13 2015, 01:58 PM) *

Competition as we used to know it doesn't play today. How can American manufacturers, with American workers on American soil, compete with the extremely low wages paid workers in Asian and South American countries?

Yeah, that's what they never told you when they were negotiating all those "free trade" agreements. But it's not all bad, really. The whole concept of "globalization" means that Chinese guy's salary will increase, and ours probably decrease, until the whole world's on a more even basis. But it isn't all bad, because we're also big consumers, and if we ever get poor and can't buy any more then that Chinese guy's going to lose HIS job, and so on until we find equilibrium. You can say that's a bad thing but I don't think so, it's just different. Things always change, always have changed, always will change. So things will be different, and I think, overall better.

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 13 2015, 01:58 PM) *

The prices of imported products will eventually increase to the price level of American made products, and by then we will no longer have the work force, facilities or tooling in place to correct the problem.

You COULD look at it that way, but to be consistent you'd have to be sad we don't ride horses any more so the buggy whip industry disappeared. And vacuum tubes. Things will change, sure, but why do we have to make steel ,for example? You need steel, of course, but Nevada doesn't make steel, and they're doing OK. (well...) And Nebraska doesn't grow oranges or make computers, but they're doing alright. Heck, I think big steel mills are largely gone from England, but they're still making cars. And so on. You don't HAVE to have heavy industry to prosper, or high tech, or banking services, and so on. Americans are smart, ambitious, and tough. Things will be different, sure, but they'll be fine. We'll, except for pollution, global warming and zombies. Those are some sticky problems.

Porschef
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 13 2015, 06:59 PM) *

biggrin.gif

drooley.gif drooley.gif

My air cooled dream...
euro911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 13 2015, 03:19 PM) *
By making a quality product and selling it with enough margin to make a living.

I worked for an all American manufacturing company for the last 5 years.
They do everything right here in Hayward, CA from product design, engineering to manufacturing, sales and yes, even customer service.
Nothing is outsourced, it's all in-house.
The company is privately held and the two owners explicitly asked for the workers on the production floor to be unionized(!) and they pay competitive salaries.

All that and yet the company has been profitable for the last 40+ years.
shades.gif
That good to hear, Andy, but becoming more of an anomaly as time goes by.

I have no idea what type of product your company manufactures, but when we take a look at the bigger picture in general, there's no arguing that American factories with American workers are dwindling. I'm not saying there aren't successful manufacturers still operating here, but they are definitely on the decline. Just pointing out facts.

Also, when we see major [US, Asian and European] automobile manufacturers operating plants in foreign countries, the truth becomes more evident. When you pay a workforce minimal wages, your production costs are less than your competitors. Look at the labels on the products we buy … where are they being manufactured? 'Made in the USA' tags and placards just aren't as prevalent as they once were.
Beeliner
Wages aren't the only expense.

Continue to bring down energy prices compared to other countries and lower transportation costs will help too.

Add automation and we gain in many areas.
euro911
QUOTE(Beeliner @ Apr 13 2015, 05:20 PM) *

Wages aren't the only expense.
Of course not. Taxes on start-up businesses (any business) aren't helping the situation either. Until costs from government agencies and wasteful/unaccounted for spending are curbed, taxes will continue to be a thorn in our side.

Continue to bring down energy prices compared to other countries and lower transportation costs will help too.
I agree. And we are obtaining most of the solar energy products from overseas. I see the cost per watt down to right around a dollar these days, as opposed to when I first got involved in that market (with domestic manufacturers) ... it was over $16./watt back then.

automation and we gain in many areas.
Automation also places humans out of work too. If we have too many citizens on the unemployment roles, they aren't spending … and we know what that does to the economy, don't we.
Dave_Darling
Sounds like this has veered very dangerously close to the Politics and Religion line. May I suggest we steer it away before the thread is locked?

--DD
DBCooper
Yeah, politics are bad. Like carburetors. God made fuel injection for a reason, so PAY ATTENTION TO GOD.

[ha ha ha, IBTL]

euro911
It's actually all pertinent. The fact is that we're importing a lot of inferior products these days.

I'm done with this one anyways.
ripper911
Carbs are better!

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 13 2015, 04:55 PM) *
i have no idea what type of product your company manufactures

I don't work there anymore, the company is called "Davis Instruments" out of Hayward, CA.
Like i said, they have a large production facility in Hayward, about 100 people on the production floor and another 30 or so engineers plus marketing, sales and customer service people.

They have 3 major product lines:

- High end consumer weather stations and related products
- Automotive tracking devices for corporate fleets
- Marine and boating accessories

Here is a link to the website:
http://davisnet.com/

smile.gif
euro911
OK, Andy - I'm familiar with the company, being an old salt. shades.gif

I hope they stay afloat (pun intended), they make good stuff.
scotty b
FWIW I bought a set from Redline a few years ago for a local car. Real Webers, no issues. Great people to deal with.

Hi. What kind of carburetors do you have ?

We have Genuine Weber Carburetors

We have genuine WEBER carburetors

poke.gif
Elliot Cannon
I believe these are real. Been on the car for 11 years. Almost problem free till just now. Time to clean them up (real good) and re-build. If I could afford an aftermarket FI, I might go that way. Till then these have worked great. What might be the best way to clean these? Soda blasting? Brush and solvent?
scotty b
if you're doing a full rebuild

brush and solvent. Let it dry, then soda blast. Tear down, clean with fresh carb cleaner/solvent. That will leave you with the nicest finish short of sending it all out to be replated
Series9
Quick update:

Redline gave my customer a discount on a set of real Webers, which he purchased.

Webercarbsdirect had their COO contact me. I had them contact my customer. They sent a call tag and I returned the Chinese crap.

More to follow.....
euro911
That's good news aktion035.gif
Series9
What fucking happened to Dellorto?........

They were always better than (add manufacturer name here).

smile.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 15 2015, 03:27 PM) *

smile.gif

Who knows? This whole carb thing is crazy.....Glad I stayed with FI....as far as I know, Motronic is still German. :-)
euro911

smile.gif
Click here ...
r3dplanet
Elliot,

I'm not the first to say it but I'm the last to repeat it: Pine-Sol. It works brilliantly for carburetors and aluminum/brass/magnesium in general. I've cleaned many a motorcycle carb and a pair of Weber IDFs using Pine-Sol and a small ultrasonic cleaner. If you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, just drop your carbs into a bucket with 50/50 Pine-Sol to water solution and wait. Pro-tip: Do this in your garage or outside because it stinks to hell. Also, cats, women, and political conservatives hate the smell in particular. Another pro-tip: don't buy knock-off dollar store pine-sol, just the real stuff. Why? Pine-Sol is basically low-grade turpentine (pine alcohol!) and phuric acid. The dollar store variety is a swill of lumberjack urine and gelatin. Let your parts soak for perhaps a day. Maybe two. It eats paint, grease, and grime, but generally leaves everything else alone. Then just rinse it off, clean with a toothbrush, and you're ready to rebuild. Low cost, low labor, and low toxicity. Just drain it when you're done. Or wash down your driveway with it like I do to clean up *ahem* 914 oil stains. No need to recycle at the hazmat center.

Having said that, Pine-Sol will not automatically transmogrify your "Asian" Webers into Italian models.

What happened to Dellortos Joe asks? Why, this: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=253580
mikesmith

They're still around. Their carb business is limited to bikes and scooters, but they make a bunch of other stuff:

http://www.dellorto.it
Jake Raby
Don't get your hopes up for those "Genuine" carbs, either....
euro911
Found a set of Italian Webers in a box yesterday. Apparently it's a set that I rebuilt quite a few years ago for a 912 and lost track of them screwy.gif

This was before I got back into the 914 thing (in late 2006).

Now, if only I could find the air cleaner assemblies ... there are K&N cast aluminum bases are on the carbs confused24.gif
DBCooper
Cool. If I remember right the K&N tops are sheet metal that bends pretty easily so if you don't find them in another box the CB Performance cast tops will fit. Not expensive, much better quality, just them and some K&N elements and you're done.

euro911
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Apr 19 2015, 10:43 AM) *
Cool. If I remember right the K&N tops are sheet metal that bends pretty easily so if you don't find them in another box the CB Performance cast tops will fit. Not expensive, much better quality, just them and some K&N elements and you're done.
agree.gif

Yeah, I went through two sets of those cheap stamped steel POS ones - the welds break too easily.

I picked up a couple of lower & upper cast ones from CB for the 'BB' a while back (definitely worth the extra coin) - I''ll see if the CB uppers fit confused24.gif ... if not, a whole new set isn't that expensive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.