Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any tips?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgiroux67
Any usefull tips before I intall my rear bearings?
Freezing bearings, freezing hubs, heating bearings, pushing, pulling etc......
ablose58
Look in the classic message threads there is a really complete write up on that procedure smilie_pokal.gif AL
Bigbohr
Put the bearings in the freezer (wipe off the condensation before sliding them in).
There is also a good cheap trick to get your hubs in on the birdboard:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...conversion2.htm
Spoke
I took the trailing arms off and had a machine shop do the work. $40 while I was at work was the ticket for me.

Spoke
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Spoke @ Feb 22 2005, 05:46 PM)
I took the trailing arms off and had a machine shop do the work. $40 while I was at work was the ticket for me.

Spoke

But then ya need an alignment.....
Jeffs9146
History 01

History 02

Here are a few chats on the subject.

Jeff
Eric_Shea
Josh,

I did a write up that you'll find in the Classic Threads. I don't have much to add to that. I use a large threaded rod with the proper ends to pull the hubs in.

Brad recommends getting the stub axle in and using the 30mm castellated nut "upside down" to get the grip on the stub axle. Once you've pulled it in far engouh, take the castellated nut off and put it on the proper way and finish the job. You might want to give that a shot.

Either way... turn your hubs constantly while pulling them in. Watch the wobble and make sure you pull it in as straight as possible. Once you're about 1/2 way you won't have to worry too much about that.

Good luck. Call me if you run into problems... you should have my #

Eric
jgiroux67
Froze the bearings and heated up the trailing arm and they slid right in. The hard part was getting the hubs to go in the bearings right.
Thanks everyone!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.