Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rearview Mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sdoolin
Windshield mounted rearview mirror came off in my hand the other morning. It was mounted in the wrong place anyway and would not allow for full movement of the sun visors. So, time to re-affix.

I have the sticky pad on order from Pelican, but am having trouble removing the mirror from the mounting base? I have removed the screw, but still the thing does not want to budge.

Is there a trick to this?
MSHax
QUOTE(sdoolin @ Aug 17 2015, 05:52 AM) *

Windshield mounted rearview mirror came off in my hand the other morning. It was mounted in the wrong place anyway and would not allow for full movement of the sun visors. So, time to re-affix.

I have the sticky pad on order from Pelican, but am having trouble removing the mirror from the mounting base? I have removed the screw, but still the thing does not want to budge.

That can get tricky. Not to scare you, but to make you aware of what can happen, I watched a glass vetran at a glass shop crack my windshield on my 69 nova as he attempted to "pop" the mirror off.

As far as the visor issue, I found this thread. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...hp?t221574.html
I'm doing the bmw mirror. You can find them in eBay for cheap if you search "Porsche 914 mirror bmw"
screenguy914
QUOTE(sdoolin @ Aug 17 2015, 05:52 AM) *

Unless the PO chemically attached the two together for some reason, the mirror and mount should separate with shock. While supporting an edge of the mount on a vise anvil, bench top or equivalent, use a brass drift and hammer and tap the mirror off the mount. Enlist a helper to provide an extra pair of hands.

Unfamiliar with the "sticky pad" from Pelican, but the off-the-shelf products available from my FLAPS were a total failure. Mirror fell off within a few miles. I finally used a dab of 2-part epoxy (e.g. JB Weld) for a more or less permanent mounting solution. YMMV. Measure twice and mount once.

Sherwood

Dave_Darling
I was able to use a tube of stuff from my FLAPS to hold the rear view mirror on my 914's brand-new windshield. It has held for ~5 years so far. Not sure if the windshield being new played into it at all, though.

If you've removed the screw that holds the mirror arm onto the mirror base, I'd try wiggling the joint. Someone may have glued it, or it may be corrosion or dirt or some such that is holding the joint together.

--DD
sdoolin
the mirror and mount should separate with shock. While supporting an edge of the mount on a vise anvil, bench top or equivalent, use a brass drift and hammer and tap the mirror off the mount.

I especially like the first bit "should separate with shock" I can't see this going wrong at all. I'm going to use a hammer and drift in close proximity to the mirror - which is glass.
Cuda911
I get the impression from original post that the base is off of the glass, but he's having a problem separating the mirror "stem" from the base.

Another vote for just prying the mirror off of the base. They can stick together.

About four months ago, I found a small bolt on the floor of my car. Had no idea what it was from, so put it aside. Last week as I was adjusting the mirror, it fell off in my hand.

Turns out that it was the mirror bolt that I had found, and the mirror stayed attached to the base just fine for months and miles and many adjustments before falling off.

I still have no idea how the mirror managed to stay attached to the base during all that.
Tom_T
I've never had to separate the two parts to remount a mirror with the sticky mounting pad, & as a unit it's easier to position correctly to not interfere with the visors & for rear vision. No need to separate the two.

The keys are to use the actual Porsche, 3M or known quality OEM sticky pad (cheapos are & always have been out there), & to completely clean the windshield & base with a razor blade & alcohol or adhesive remover, then adhere the one side of the double-stick pad to the base first & smooth & push it down on the base (with the wax paper backer still on the windshield side), then position a few mm's above the glass without touching it, then push onto the glass & slightly wiggle it slightly with medium pressure to get good adherence (not too hard it can break/crack glass).

The big keys with any adhesives are the absolute cleanliness of both surfaces & "only one touch" stick to each surface.

I'd done it a few times in the decade & +/-150k miles that my 914 was my DD!

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
GeorgeRud
Years ago, I was told that using two of the adhesive pads would hold it better (to make up for the slight curve in the glass?), and mine's held that way for years.
kid914
I went the BMW modified version...and never looked back.( pun intended) lol
vw505
Anyone know what year bmw?
zambezi
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-interi...618&vxp=mtr
There is always one listed on ebay as long as I have looked.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(zambezi @ Aug 18 2015, 07:45 AM) *

agree.gif

I have purchased at least 2 from Mack914-6. Always delivers a great product.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 18 2015, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(zambezi @ Aug 18 2015, 07:45 AM) *

agree.gif

I have purchased at least 2 from Mack914-6. Always delivers a great product.

agree.gif

I love my BMW mirror.
sdoolin
Thanks for all the info. I have managed to separate the mirror from the base, and (as mentioned) have the OE style sticky pad on order from Pelican. However, I have a new problem.

It seems that whilst my little brother was "cleaning" my bench so that he could re-stain an old set of Bose 901 speakers he "cleaned" the little screw that attaches mirror to base right out of my existence.

Anyone know the size/dimension of that screw or have a spare? I'd like to stay OE on this as opposed to the BMW mirror (realizing I may have no choice now).
Dave_Darling
Mr. PET says: "pan-head screw AM 2,6 X 15"

That's not familiar notation to me, though. I remember it being a somewhat long screw with a lot of bare shank.

--DD
Cuda911
I don't have the dimensions, but it's about an inch or so long.... no bare shank (by that you mean unthreaded?).
Cairo94507
I have one of the BMW conversions for my Six. I have never liked the mirror affixed to the windshield because it makes it harder to clean the windshield and looks better with the BMW part. Yeah, I know.....another mod to my Six stirthepot.gif
sdoolin
Mr. PET says: "pan-head screw AM 2,6 X 15"

Thanks so much. Mine was threaded all the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.