Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magnus had an eventful day at the opening of MPLS Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
bigkensteele
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 27 2015, 04:44 PM) *

You guys it wasn't exactly cold out it was probably in the 70's, he sacrificed his car as not to hit anyone else's no doubt the trailer was blocking his view of the on coming cars, there was a lot of activity going on around the building to get it ready for the party, i blast around that corner all the time its my old neighbor hood, i use to ride my bike on the dirt trails where the road and building are now it was a huge vacant field area and abandoned golf course... generally there is not much traffic coming from that direction and the road that intersects it is closed and under construction. With that said it was a dumb thing to do with the trailer there. On another note about his character Magnus is a stand up guy and i found him very pleasant to talk too and watched him interact with everyone, and he made sure everyone had there time with him, his nose is not out of joint he seems to be a real gentlemen and down to earth and respectful. On first impression the guy looks like he could be one of the Duck Dynasty dudes gnarly dreadlocks....

I agree. He is a good guy whose head wasn't where it should have been at that moment. He isn't a stupid guy. He didn't wake up that morning thinking "I need to do something really stupid today".

I wish that I could take back all of my mistakes, and I am thankful that none ever caused anyone any serious ill and that none that I know of were ever filmed. But I am also thankful that I am not famous in any way shape or form (wealth makes it even worse) - who wants to live with a bulls-eye on their back every waking moment. Just look at this thread and all the people who are so eager to take the guy down a notch. If he weren't who he is, nobody here would know or even care about this unfortunate event. dead horse.gif
Elliot Cannon
Over five pages for this? Is everyone done making judgments? Or should we continue on? laugh.gif
Larmo63
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 27 2015, 12:50 PM) *

The man made a mistake, a very public one.

I feel bad for him. We have all done it, but no need to berate the guy...

agree.gif I started doing stupid things the day I was born………………... I still haven't stopped.
mbseto
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 27 2015, 04:57 PM) *

...forcing him to take an evasive maneuver...

From the video, it looks like there was no evasive manuever to be had. It was a judgement error and once he made it, driving ability only let's you choose what you're going to hit. He was really lucky they weren't in the middle of raising/lowering that ramp.
Valy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 27 2015, 09:39 AM) *

Plain stupid driver. I'm thankful he didn't do it in a 914. I hope to never see him.driving one.
No other way to put it.
Mueller
Question for all you Negative Nancy's:

How many of you have gone on 914world or other car club driving events on twisty roads?

Of all the ones I've been on, 99% of the cars and drivers broke many, many laws....

Lots of speeding above the posted limit, many times well over the limit...

then we have following too close for the conditions, I mean if someone posted a full video of the last WCR drives I'm sure in the 1st few minutes we'd spot bone head moves or breaking the law and doing something we'd normally not do.

rhodyguy
i've never plowed into a trailer. i've never plowed into a trailer with a reporter or anyone else in the car. i've never attempted to do prob 3x+ the posted speed limit on a 2 lane frontage road, thru 2 corners, with a semi PARKED in my lane and on coming traffic. quick, someone jump off of a bridge.
SLITS
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 28 2015, 09:32 AM) *

How many of you have gone on 914world or other car club driving events on twisty roads? every RRC and Route 66

Of all the ones I've been on, 99% of the cars and drivers broke many, many laws....Only if you get caught

Lots of speeding above the posted limit, many times well over the limit... Doesn't run well under 90

then we have following too close for the conditions, I mean if someone posted a full video of the last WCR drives I'm sure in the 1st few minutes we'd spot bone head moves or breaking the law and doing something we'd normally not do.If you can't hear your exhaust note bouncing off my front end, I'm not close enough

rick 918-S
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 28 2015, 12:03 PM) *

How many of you have gone on 914world or other car club driving events on twisty roads? every RRC and Route 66

Of all the ones I've been on, 99% of the cars and drivers broke many, many laws....Only if you get caught

Lots of speeding above the posted limit, many times well over the limit... Doesn't run well under 90

then we have following too close for the conditions, I mean if someone posted a full video of the last WCR drives I'm sure in the 1st few minutes we'd spot bone head moves or breaking the law and doing something we'd normally not do.If you can't hear your exhaust note bouncing off my front end, I'm not close enough

biggrin.gif agree.gif unsure.gif
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 28 2015, 11:41 AM) *

i've never plowed into a trailer. i've never plowed into a trailer with a reporter or anyone else in the car. i've never attempted to do prob 3x+ the posted speed limit on a 2 lane frontage road, thru 2 corners, with a semi PARKED in my lane and on coming traffic. quick, someone jump off of a bridge.

But if you ever did, nobody would know, or care, about it.
RoadGlue
Not sure how many of your remember the old RoadGlue.com drives we threw back before the 'Club sites came about. MOST of us were driving like we owned the roads. Speed limits were only acknowledged in heavily populated areas. The front of the pack treated the runs like road races. If you weren't driving 9/10ths then chances were that you either lost the pack or were having out with just a few others that probably thought we were nuts.

There were accidents! I'll leave out names, but at least one person ran off the road and and down a steep embankment. Another less experienced driver tried keeping up with the pack in the rain on Hwy 9 and within about 30-seconds hit a guard rail. Another time two friends (one in a 914 and another in a Boxster) ran into another another in an intersection.

It got out of hand. Looking back I'm amazed nobody was injured or killed.

I normally held pre-run drivers meetings like at auto-x events, but they went like this: "Thanks everyone for showing up. We've created a great route for you today. Here's a map. We'll be stopping at a, b, and c. Drive it like you stole it, slow drivers at the rear of the pack, nobody die today, k?"

We tempt ourselves by driving performance cars. Maturity helps, but sometimes that gas pedal tempts us to throw out reason for adrenaline.

I did just one run with the local RR PCA group back maybe ten or so years ago. The route was ho-hum, but they had the bars spaced out every twenty minutes of road time or so. I bailed as soon as I saw that they were using the liquor to lube their egos. Nut jobs.

I'm not making excuses. Just trying to see why otherwise "normal" people will go out and do stupid things without taking into consideration the huge consequences our actions might make us face.

I can't even begin to cast a stone. I'm just glad injuries were minor as it could have been a lot worse. Life moves on, he'll probably never pull a stunt like that again (I hope!).

He wasn't in a neighborhood. I have ZERO tolerance for hooliganism around helpless kids.
rick 918-S
Try running with the 928 guys in the metro and through rural WI.... They have lots of power and gooood brakes! Watched a 32 valve car drift and darn near loose it on an off camber corner through the windshield of the Alien close enough to smell the brakes...
euro911

How many of you have gone on 914world or other car club driving events on twisty roads?

Of all the ones I've been on, 99% of the cars and drivers broke many, many laws....

then we have following too close for the conditions, I mean if someone posted a full video of the last WCR drives I'm sure in the 1st few minutes we'd spot bone head moves or breaking the law and doing something we'd normally not do.
Breaking the speed limit? - uh, yeah, I suppose so hide.gif ... but I tried to leave lots of room behind the 'BB' ... just ask Reese & Sherwood happy11.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 28 2015, 03:04 PM) *

Breaking the speed limit? - uh, yeah, I suppose so hide.gif ... but I tried to leave lots of room behind the 'BB' ... just ask Reese & Sherwood happy11.gif

I don't remember speeding at all...I was driving the twin-turbo 996 so we had to stay in the back sad.gif .... or was it really? MDB2.gif
914-300Hemi
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 28 2015, 10:20 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 28 2015, 12:03 PM) *

biggrin.gif agree.gif unsure.gif

agree.gif
iamchappy
I try not to shift into 5th gear on my short blasts,I'm around 100 at the end of 4th, if caught going over a 100 in minnesota you lose your license and your car.
steuspeed
Looks like the tail started to come out and then really came around when it hit the yellow paint to me. Not a lot of options at that point with on coming traffic popping out from behind the truck. His original intention may have been to swing it into the parking lot for the media shot. You can see the photographer in the grass. Why would you go around the truck unless you had traffic stopped ahead?
Mike Bellis
We've all driven stupid.

The stupid this he did was driving stupid with a reporter in the car... chair.gif
infraredcalvin
"Watch this!"
Mueller
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Aug 28 2015, 08:57 PM) *

"Watch this!"

Better than: "hold my beer while I...." smile.gif
gms
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 28 2015, 12:52 PM) *

I can't even begin to cast a stone...

That is good because I have video biggrin.gif
before gopro was around
Click to view attachment
gms
OR

nope he is unstoppable

Click to view attachment

sorry E, I couldn't resist
RoadGlue
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 29 2015, 08:27 AM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 28 2015, 12:52 PM) *

I can't even begin to cast a stone...

That is good because I have video biggrin.gif
before gopro was around
Click to view attachment

At least the statutes of limitations has passed!
Heeltoe914
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 28 2015, 10:52 AM) *

Not sure how many of your remember the old RoadGlue.com drives we threw back before the 'Club sites came about. MOST of us were driving like we owned the roads. Speed limits were only acknowledged in heavily populated areas. The front of the pack treated the runs like road races. If you weren't driving 9/10ths then chances were that you either lost the pack or were having out with just a few others that probably thought we were nuts.

There were accidents! I'll leave out names, but at least one person ran off the road and and down a steep embankment. Another less experienced driver tried keeping up with the pack in the rain on Hwy 9 and within about 30-seconds hit a guard rail. Another time two friends (one in a 914 and another in a Boxster) ran into another another in an intersection.

It got out of hand. Looking back I'm amazed nobody was injured or killed.

I normally held pre-run drivers meetings like at auto-x events, but they went like this: "Thanks everyone for showing up. We've created a great route for you today. Here's a map. We'll be stopping at a, b, and c. Drive it like you stole it, slow drivers at the rear of the pack, nobody die today, k?"

We tempt ourselves by driving performance cars. Maturity helps, but sometimes that gas pedal tempts us to throw out reason for adrenaline.

I did just one run with the local RR PCA group back maybe ten or so years ago. The route was ho-hum, but they had the bars spaced out every twenty minutes of road time or so. I bailed as soon as I saw that they were using the liquor to lube their egos. Nut jobs.

I'm not making excuses. Just trying to see why otherwise "normal" people will go out and do stupid things without taking into consideration the huge consequences our actions might make us face.

I can't even begin to cast a stone. I'm just glad injuries were minor as it could have been a lot worse. Life moves on, he'll probably never pull a stunt like that again (I hope!).

He wasn't in a neighborhood. I have ZERO tolerance for hooliganism around helpless kids.

Please add me to the list of stupid things done that where not caught on video.. Yes I was smiling but I was taking a hell of a lot of chances..
Today i will wear my Magnus Walker urban outlaw hat proudly. I don't know about you but I'm counting the minutes not days not weeks not months before I do something stupid again.... I'm just glad no one got hurt.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 27 2015, 01:33 PM) *

Having watched the news video, I think

Magnus Walker is a stupid shit who has no business behind the wheel of any Porsche!

agree.gif

Now that Krusty is gone, I'll gladly take over the reigns, so bring it on... As I said before, that is a flat-out, dumbshit hot-dogging crash with LIKELY could have caused that poor reporter her life if not for pure luck.

No one, not you, not some guy with a cool 911 and not even "Yahweh" Walker should be doing that shit on a public road. Some folks have their heads way too far up his ass to see the reality, which is... these things are dangerous. You as a driver have no right to put someone else in that situation, whether they're in the passenger seat or the other lane. At 31, I'm a lot younger than a lot of you guys, but even I know better. You're damn right he gets made an example of here - he is a celebrity, and for all the credit he gets as a "designer" or "fabricator", he should get equal credit as a dumbass. And as such, he should take the opportunity to educate others about the dangers of driving like that on the street... ESPECIALLY as a driving coach!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 29 2015, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 27 2015, 01:33 PM) *

Having watched the news video, I think

Magnus Walker is a stupid shit who has no business behind the wheel of any Porsche!

agree.gif

Now that Krusty is gone, I'll gladly take over the reigns, so bring it on... As I said before, that is a flat-out, dumbshit hot-dogging crash with LIKELY could have caused that poor reporter her life if not for pure luck.

No one, not you, not some guy with a cool 911 and not even "Yahweh" Walker should be doing that shit on a public road. Some folks have their heads way too far up his ass to see the reality, which is... these things are dangerous. You as a driver have no right to put someone else in that situation, whether they're in the passenger seat or the other lane. At 31, I'm a lot younger than a lot of you guys, but even I know better. You're damn right he gets made an example of here - he is a celebrity, and for all the credit he gets as a "designer" or "fabricator", he should get equal credit as a dumbass. And as such, he should take the opportunity to educate others about the dangers of driving like that on the street... ESPECIALLY as a driving coach!

George, I have never met you, but I like you a lot for what you contribute here. We all make mistakes, and I think that you may remember one you made regarding a driving suit or something not long after you joined here. You were young and just out of school and sought our opinion on what you should do in the situation you found yourself in. We overwhelmingly told you that you were wrong and needed to make it right. You ended up doing the right thing, and you were accepted here and appreciated as such.

Probably 3% of the people on Earth who own sports cars have not done something stupid at some point. Of the other 97%, most probably don't pay much price for it, but when they do, why is there a need to lynch the guy and act like you have never driven somewhat less than safe? You have. We all have. It is part of owning a performance car. You don't buy it or build it to drive the speed limit and wave hi to the neighbors.

I am not saying that we should all just go out and be idiots, but I would not believe you if you told me that when you take your 914 out for a ride on public roads that you obey any and all laws. If so, then why not just buy a Camry or Malibu?

Regarding the Krusty, there will never be another, and it would be best if nobody ever tried to replace him. He was him. You are you. Move on.
euro911
agree.gif ... We've all probably pulled some not-so-well-thought-out stunts at one time or another. Some are lucky and come away unscathed, others aren't as fortunate.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Walker learned a valuable lesson from the mishap and that's all I'll say regarding the man. I'm just glad to see that nothing worse happened ... shades.gif
ThePaintedMan

George, I have never met you, but I like you a lot for what you contribute here. We all make mistakes, and I think that you may remember one you made regarding a driving suit or something not long after you joined here. You were young and just out of school and sought our opinion on what you should do in the situation you found yourself in. We overwhelmingly told you that you were wrong and needed to make it right. You ended up doing the right thing, and you were accepted here and appreciated as such.

Ken, I'm glad you remember and brought up that incident. Indeed I did make a mistake, but mine in this case didn't threaten anyone's life. A little different I would say. But I do see your point. I wrote that last night as I was already emotional about other stuff going on. Perhaps should have thought more before posting. Thanks for the kind words.

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 30 2015, 01:42 AM) *

I am not saying that we should all just go out and be idiots, but I would not believe you if you told me that when you take your 914 out for a ride on public roads that you obey any and all laws. If so, then why not just buy a Camry or Malibu?

It's not really a fair thing for me to comment on, since I don't drive my car on the street anymore... but no, personally I don't do any "spirited" driving on the street. I have had one close call once early on when I was trying to keep up with others at an event, but something about getting married and seeing the face of your first child changes that. I save it for the track where things can still go wrong, but the variables and number of lives endangered are far fewer.

I guess I can wrap my head around "We all make mistakes." But, it does disappoint me that a 48 year old guy still feels the need to do that stuff on the street. High schoolers already have enough bad influences... it bothers me when gents who have been around awhile are still spinning their tires leaving car shows, parades, etc. We all know that it only takes a split second... the Paul Walker (who, by the way was a passenger) incident demonstrated that one quite well.

Anyhow, sorry for getting so worked up. This one kind of hits home for me - lost a good friend to showboating, so I have to admit that I'm biased.
EdwardBlume
"Seatbelts does make a difference!" av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Just thought that the statement at the end of the video was irrelevant. Everyone wears a seatbelt these days...

EdwardBlume
Clearly MW didn't know where he was and got caught demonstrating the car. A MW 914 would have made the curve and he would have had more issues shutting it down.
EdwardBlume
Roadglue... that was awhile back! The 914 and Boxster thing on the wet road, and the guard rail thing. Good fun.

Anyone who had the FnF thing in their veins, go run PCA AX for a season, and it will take all of the streetlight to streetlight thing out of you... or at least it should.
RoadGlue
Yes, and indeed!

I hadn't auto-x'd or participated in a DE track day until well after we stopped the RoadGlue stuff. Wish I had much sooner as I'm sure it would have straightened my head out a bit in terms of the aggressive street driving when I was younger.

I blame my mom! We used to travel around the state to visit relatives in our 70's duster. She drove like a mad woman, crossing over the centerline... I'm not even sure we wore seatbelts half the time.

driving-girl.gif
(mom)
SLITS
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 30 2015, 08:38 AM) *

I blame my mom! We used to travel around the state to visit relatives in our 70's duster. She drove like a mad woman, crossing over the centerline... I'm not even sure we wore seatbelts half the time.

driving-girl.gif
(mom)

And current female drivers are different how other than driving SUVs?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 30 2015, 08:38 AM) *

Yes, and indeed!

I hadn't auto-x'd or participated in a DE track day until well after we stopped the RoadGlue stuff. Wish I had much sooner as I'm sure it would have straightened my head out a bit in terms of the aggressive street driving when I was younger.

driving-girl.gif
(mom)

Is your real name Ricky Bobby? av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 30 2015, 11:07 AM) *

My mother used to race in demolition derbies when i was a kid. My uncle prepared the cars for her and she drove them (pretty successfully i might add).
She also taught me how to drive on snow and ice.

Last time i went back to Germany to visit her she proudly showed me a new trophy she had just won competing in a local rally race.

She is 73 ...
driving-girl.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 30 2015, 11:49 AM) *

My mother used to race in demolition derbies when i was a kid. My uncle prepared the cars for her and she drove them (pretty successfully i might add).

Last time i went back to Germany to visit her she proudly showed me a new trophy she had just won competing in a local rally race.

She is 73 ...
driving-girl.gif

Wow, you win. That's awesome!

My mom said she wished she could have raced (she couldn't, another story).
bigkensteele
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 30 2015, 04:44 AM) *

... but something about getting married and seeing the face of your first child changes that.

Amen.

Anyhow, sorry for getting so worked up. This one kind of hits home for me - lost a good friend to showboating, so I have to admit that I'm biased.

Very sorry to hear that, and understandable that you are emotional about it. I truly hope that we all learn a little lesson here.

beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 30 2015, 02:33 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 30 2015, 11:49 AM) *

She is 73 ...
driving-girl.gif

Wow, you win. That's awesome!

My mom said she wished she could have raced (she couldn't, another story).

Just read this to Sandy. We both agree.gif driving-girl.gif beerchug.gif first.gif
veekry9
Hoisted on his own petard. biggrin.gif
Doh!!
BTDT. dry.gif
An exciting scary ride was had.
Jgilliam914
Say what you want about Magnus. I am sure it is not his proudest of moments. But many with a long hood ass dragger is thankful for him. I had read his passion for these cars have driven up the prices of these significantly over the past few years. So when I get mine completed I will toast him for his feats prior to this regrettable event!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Sep 1 2015, 01:29 PM) *

Say what you want about Magnus. I am sure it is not his proudest of moments. But many with a long hood ass dragger is thankful for him. I had read his passion for these cars have driven up the prices of these significantly over the past few years. So when I get mine completed I will toast him for his feats prior to this regrettable event!!

I like Magnus but I doubt he had much at all to do with the prices going up. That has been slowly building for some time...
montoya 73 2.0
My mother used to race at the old Baylands Dragstrip In fremont, California (Hwy 880 & Auto Mall Parkway). Back in the early to late 70's, she would put me in the stands with a friend and race her VW Beetle! I wish I had pictures of that, probably why I have been into aircooled VW's for as long as I can remember.
Mueller
http://www.thegentlemanracer.com/2015/10/v...ous-street.html

Yep, older video showing him racing a Honda Civic on the freeway with traffic....

euro911
The streets and freeways in metropolitan areas are not the place to do this. Driving fast only entices others to do the same.

I remember a time several years ago, Dianne & I were coming home from a Joe Sharp BBQ, N/B on the 405, and two rice rockets came up dangerously weaving in and out of traffic (racing each other). One of the drivers (in a 350z) almost hit us attempting to enter the carpool lane we were in (he had no passenger either).

Dianne got the license # for the z and called the CHP. It wouldn't surprise me if either one of those guys (or possible both) have totaled their cars by now confused24.gif
naro914
So I liked the guy originally and somewhat envied what he's accomplished - I have total respect for someone that is 'self made' and have no problem at all with self promotion...

Then the incident with the truck soured me a bit...if you want the celebrity and fame/fortune that comes with it, you also need to accept the responsibility...especially when representing a brand like Porsche.

Now seeing this video? "teenage punk" is all I can think of....yes I know he's not a teenager, but he sure seems to act like one. VERY disappointing and just about any level of respect I had for him is now out the window...
ThePaintedMan
*Ahem*... TOLD YA SO.
Maltese Falcon
This is the public view, directly off of someone's cloud right on to the World's lap. The video MW hopes that his auto- insurer never watches sad.gif
iwanta914-6
When I met him in Minneapolis the day he crashed 277 (before I saw the video), he said it was the first time he's ever wrecked a car.

It's a shame really. He's built some beautiful Porsches and I absolutely love that he drives his cars and understands that these cars are supposed to be driven. BUT, you don't have to race them on public roads in traffic. Can you not just drive them and enjoy cruising while sharing the road with commuters? The world is not your race track Magnus...
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
Did anyone else who saw the car at Rennsport notice they were careful when painting to match the "patina" of the rest of the car?

It wasn't a show quality job on the wrecked portion...I'd be interested to know from some of our painters here how they do it? It wasn't like there were rock chips..just looked a little "dirty" and old like the rest? confused24.gif
euro911
Every now and then I find myself goosing it to thwart a line of gutter snipers, but I find it less stressful just trying to get in the far left lane so I don't have to deal with those fucks ... a symptom of Low T, I guess laugh.gif

The speed limit on the street in front of our city hall (and PD) is 35mph. I'll do +/- 40, but I see people passing me doing 50 ~ 60mph all the time WTF.gif

Even some of the 'spirited' drives on back roads we've done during some of the events I've attended have gotten a little out of hand. Fortunately, I can only remember one mishap that occurred and nobody was injured (car was totaled though) dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.