Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magnus had an eventful day at the opening of MPLS Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
iamchappy
He was texting.....
SKL1
Pretty sure he was just driving down the road when a deer ran out in front of him and he swerved to miss it, lost control, and hit a tree...
914_teener
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 26 2015, 08:05 PM) *

He was texting.....

lol-2.gif

Your 914 is very nice sir!

Nice picture as well BTW.

Chris Pincetich

AWESOME pic! beerchug.gif
Another happy ending on 914World
biggrin.gif
beer3.gif
smilie_pokal.gif

QUOTE(Zimms @ Aug 26 2015, 05:53 AM) *

Click to view attachment

You hit his Instgram feed

Magnus Stream

Dave_Darling
Here's the video:

http://video.startribune.com/porsche-crash...side/323095071/

--DD
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 27 2015, 12:39 PM) *

That explains a lot, except the lack of skid marks. Were the tires that cold?
poorsche914
What's a PORSH? The reporter refers to it several times confused24.gif

driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 27 2015, 09:44 AM) *

Have a closer look at the tires. They are slicks with no tread.
Those compounds rarely leave tire tracks, especially when cold.

shades.gif
SKL1
Video shows it wasn't very well organized- blasting down the frontage road with other traffic, and the semi parked ON the road itself??? Pretty stupid if you ask me.

And that reporter has NO idea what she's doing either... couldn''t someone tell her how to pronounce it???
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 27 2015, 01:09 PM) *

Have a closer look at the tires. They are slicks with no tread.
Those compounds rarely leave tire tracks, especially when cold.

shades.gif

I had no idea- really surprised.

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Aug 27 2015, 01:18 PM) *

And that reporter has NO idea what she's doing either... couldn''t someone tell her how to pronounce it???

laugh.gif I was thinking the same thing
ChrisFoley
Having watched the news video, I think

Magnus Walker is a stupid shit who has no business behind the wheel of any Porsche!
iwanta914-6
Well, there you have it...no more guessing what happened. 100% Magnus' fault and could have been really bad.

Glad everyone is okay, but the fact that the reporter mentions that she is "still banged up and bruised" and her delivery of the story leads me to believe that she may be looking for a little compensation...but that's just speculation on my part.

So my question, was the frontage road behind the dealership supposed to be closed off for this little show for the reporter? Obviously Magnus lost traction in that turn but he seemed caught off guard that there was oncoming traffic.
jmitro
throttle off oversteer owns him.

stupid maneuver
GregAmy
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 27 2015, 12:44 PM) *

The Tool runs Hoosiers on that car. On the street.

Being a talented designer does not make you Hurley Haywood. Or smart.

Edit:
http://magnuswalker911.blogspot.com/2012/1...sier-tires.html
http://magnuswalker911.blogspot.com/2012/1...er-in-rain.html
JRust
blink.gif Holy shit batman! wacko.gif . Watching that video I am amazed that happened. Not like it was a blind corner shades.gif . I think the real problem here was he wasn't driving a 914. It's that damn assdragger that is real problem here popcorn[1].gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 27 2015, 03:00 PM) *

I think the real problem here was he wasn't driving a 914. It's that damn assdragger that is real problem here popcorn[1].gif

lol-2.gif agree.gif
Steve
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 27 2015, 12:00 PM) *

blink.gif Holy shit batman! wacko.gif . Watching that video I am amazed that happened. Not like it was a blind corner shades.gif . I think the real problem here was he wasn't driving a 914. It's that damn assdragger that is real problem here popcorn[1].gif

And that's why I sold my 993 and kept the 914. The 993 at least had a track correcting rear end, so the lift throttle oversteer wasn't as bad, but it still sucked.
87m491
"My LOVE of HOOSIER tires began 10 years ago at the track.
i really like how the work on the street also!
not just that the sticky black rubber grips great for high speed cornering-it always works great for those late braking last second passes into a corner!"

Well maybe not so much.....

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 27 2015, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 27 2015, 12:44 PM) *

The Tool runs Hoosiers on that car. On the street.

Being a talented designer does not make you Hurley Haywood. Or smart.

Edit:
http://magnuswalker911.blogspot.com/2012/1...sier-tires.html
http://magnuswalker911.blogspot.com/2012/1...er-in-rain.html

wndsnd
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 27 2015, 01:33 PM) *

Magnus Walker is a stupid shit who has no business behind the wheel of any Porsche!

That says it all, guy can not drive.... Suprised he has not gone off the edge of Mulholland Drive....
Andyrew
I wonder if now he'll permanently switch to the 914 smile.gif

That video shows lift throttle oversteer in the most classic sense smile.gif
toolguy
An obvious rookie mistake. Plus a 'bone headed' run on a public street with opposing traffic.
Wonder if any law enforcement agency is evaluating the video.
rhodyguy
he's pretty damn lucky he didn't seriously hurt or KILL that reporter. she sure didn't look like she had fun in the news report. if it had been my wife he would be building me a car. for $0. we'll see what comes of it. was that a private or public road?
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 27 2015, 02:26 PM) *

was that a private or public road?

Public road, accident happened around the red circle on the map. Right at the Porsche Dealership. (old aerial image shows the old Audi/Porsche dealership, looks much different now)

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Shouldn't be hard to mail him a ticket. Reckless driving, exhibition of speed, crossing the centerline smile.gif the video will work well in court. I wonder if he gets tired of being asked if he's rob zombi.
Ferg
The man made a mistake, a very public one.

I feel bad for him. We have all done it, but no need to berate the guy...
Andyrew
^Yup. You can guarantee he feels bad enough already.

To me it looks like he was showing off for the lady which im sure NONE of us have done... slick road on even slicker tires..
rick 918-S
I think we've all done something stupid a time or two just maybe not so public. To me it doesn't really look like he was going that fast. damp pavement, cold tires and 911 pendulum effect... pinch.gif

If he had been in a 914 it may not have done that at that speed.
rick 918-S
OH!!! Just thought of something! Is this a new ad for Shea! Time to check your pads!
GregAmy
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 27 2015, 03:50 PM) *

Then I'm guessing you also feel bad for the Mustang drivers that do burnouts coming out of the cars & coffees and end up spinning into the crowds? Or does Walker get a "pass" because he's driving a Porsche?

The guy's a tool. The more public berating he gets, the more likely he'll give seconds thoughts to trying a such a stunt -- and it was most decisively an on-camera "hey y'all watch this" show-off stunt -- like this again.

"This is why we cannot have nice things".

GA
Big Len

agree.gif We all have done it.
pete000
No talking your way out of that one !

And he was a Porsche driver instructor !

Moral to the story is Cold race tires, tail heavy car design, and cold road don't mix !

Guy in the old Black SL must have pooped his pants !
Ferg
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 27 2015, 12:20 PM) *

Then I'm guessing you also feel bad for the Mustang drivers that do burnouts coming out of the cars & coffees and end up spinning into the crowds? Or does Walker get a "pass" because he's driving a Porsche?

The guy's a tool. The more public berating he gets, the more likely he'll give seconds thoughts to trying a such a stunt -- and it was most decisively an on-camera "hey y'all watch this" show-off stunt -- like this again.

"This is why we cannot have nice things".

GA

So tell me, if he was your brother or a close friend, would you still be calling him names? I feel bad for the reporter as well, I should have included her in my post.

Just trying to figure out if he was a "tool" before the accident or because of it?
bandjoey
QUOTE(Zimms @ Aug 26 2015, 07:53 AM) *

Click to view attachment

You hit his Instgram feed

Magnus Stream

Hulk Hogan driving the Orange 914 ? Beautiful car!
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 26 2015, 08:04 AM) *

Magnus was running late and had just jumped into a car to leave then popped out ran over and checked out my car had me fire it up and
took this picture of me leaving. He was a stand up guy.

Forgot to mention Chap that I did end up going to the Grand Opening and saw your car. I showed the car to my dad and he was pretty impressed even though he's not a fan of 914s, he keeps trying to talk me out of my search for a 914. Sorry I missed getting to meet you though. It was a fun night and saw some Club members that I had not seen since I was a kid, which was so weird.

Anyway, glad that Magnus got to see and hear your car...very cool to see your picture end up on his Instagram!
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 27 2015, 12:00 PM) *
Not like it was a blind corner

The video clearly shows that he exits the parking lot right there with the truck already parked on the street. He must have known it was there.

My best guess is that he looked ahead and the two cars were obscured by the truck and he thought the other lane was clear.

From the video it seems like he setting up to pass the truck at speed and loses it when he lifts throttle as soon as he sees the other two cars.
popcorn[1].gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 27 2015, 04:40 PM) *
So tell me, if he was your brother or a close friend, would you still be calling him names?

ABSOLUTELY!!! Even more so, and to their face!

And especially if someone did it that should know better, like RacerChris**, he'd NEVER hear the end of it from me!

Because it was stoooopid to:
- Drive race tires on the street that do not get sticky until they heat up (and he should know that, since he is an "instructor"*) despite the fact that, technically, they're DOT-approved (I don't think there's a rating for "DOT-smart");
- Drive around a (non-blind!) corner on a thin, no-shoulder, public two-lane road at excessive speeds without any form of crowd control, which...
- ...caused him to lose control and swing wide against said traffic, thus...
- ...forcing him to take an evasive maneuver that was well above his capabilities, and...
-...risk the safety of not only himself, and his passenger, but that of two other vehicles that were nearly hit by him, not to mention that of the pedestrian(s) standing immediately to the side of the road.

Harsh? Hardly. Dude was damned lucky that all he did was wrinkle his 911 and a trailer.

Just trying to figure out if he was a "tool" before the accident or because of it?

"Because". Toolness is earned. Public toolness is shamed. Publicly.

GA

*Never mind.
**But he wouldn't, because he's not that much of a tool.
Mueller
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 27 2015, 10:33 AM) *

You can honestly say you've never pulled a bone headed move before?

Yes, it could have been avoided, but sometime people get caught up in the heat of the moment and have a slight lapse of judgement....
JoeDees
I actually think it took quite a bit of skill keeping the accident as minor as it was. By the time the oncoming cars became visible his options were limited and his actions made the best of a bad situation. (Assuming they were showboating as in the video) I assess that 65% of drivers would have hit the Benz, 20% would have hit the truck hard enough to pulverize the Porsche, 10% would have flipped the car, 4.5% would have done as seen, and .5% would have come away unscathed. I saw a bad decision that could have been catastrophic made minimal by good driving.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 27 2015, 03:55 PM) *

My best guess is that he looked ahead and the two cars were obscured by the truck and he thought the other lane was clear.

From the video it seems like he setting up to pass the truck at speed and loses it when he lifts throttle as soon as he sees the other two cars.

This is pretty much spot on. He ASSumed that the other lane was clear and did not see the two cars until it was too late, lifted and lost control.

I'm not condoning his willingness to drive this way on a public road in cool weather with slicks and a semi blocking one lane of a two lane road. But, he paid the price for his mistake, a mistake that could have been much worse. I'm sure the reporter will be looking for something for her pain and suffering and police will be issuing a ticket (if they have not already) along with having to repair his favorite car to try and get it ready for Rennsport.
naro914
I won't say I'm a 'fan' of Magnus, but I admire what he's done. Read some history of him: the Urban Outlaw video was not his idea, someone else asked him to do it. THAT's what vaulted him to fame....and the rest as they say, is history. If ANY one of you had the same opportunity he's been given, you would take advantage of it too. He didn't seek the fame, it found him...

Having said that, yes, he's just as much an ass as those Mustang guys that do burn-outs and end up in crowds (were you at the Charlotte one GregAmy??), the Ferrari guys that do burn-outs and end up in crowds..or any other asshat that does it. Maybe even more-so since he's a celebrity and should know better than to show off.

I admire what he's done, but I've lost a lot of respect for him and his decision making. He's lucky he didn't hit that MB, or hurt that reporter...VERY lucky...
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 27 2015, 05:04 PM) *

You can honestly say you've never pulled a bone headed move before?

I have plenty of stories of bone-headed moves I've pulled.
I was never filmed by a news crew though, and my foolish behavior never involved innocent observers.

The tool in this story was being paid to represent Porsche, right? He has no excuse for such a major lapse of judgement.
They probably should have had Patrick Long (or any other true professional) do the driving exhibition.
rhodyguy
The notion that it happened 'because of' ANY THING that compounded his reckless behavior is sort of a pass? The tires? Seriously? That's what 911s do? He's the same guy that does all that drifting in abandoned buildings for videos? Might as well lay some blame on the reporter for even getting in the car. 'Bone head' moves? Sure, when I was a child. Edit. He had 0 real line of sight as he exited the first corner, at speed, distracted by the reporter and the camera is a bonus. Would you give him a pass if he was driving like that in your neighborhood?
naro914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 27 2015, 05:34 PM) *

...... my foolish behavior never involved innocent observers.

agree.gif totally...that's the biggest issue I have!!
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 27 2015, 05:34 PM) *

They probably should have had Patrick Long (or any other true professional) do the driving exhibition.

I'm not sure there was supposed to be a 'driving exhibition'...

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 27 2015, 05:44 PM) *

Would you give him a pass if he was driving like that in your neighborhood?

Again, exactly.

If this was a CLOSED road, with no potential hazards (like a big ass truck!), that would be one thing...but doing it on a public open road, with a passenger, with oncoming traffic, etc.. He should know better.

Again, I like the guy, I admire things he's done, but this lapse of judgement was pure stupidity...
iamchappy
You guys it wasn't exactly cold out it was probably in the 70's, he sacrificed his car as not to hit anyone else's no doubt the trailer was blocking his view of the on coming cars, there was a lot of activity going on around the building to get it ready for the party, i blast around that corner all the time its my old neighbor hood, i use to ride my bike on the dirt trails where the road and building are now it was a huge vacant field area and abandoned golf course... generally there is not much traffic coming from that direction and the road that intersects it is closed and under construction. With that said it was a dumb thing to do with the trailer there. On another note about his character Magnus is a stand up guy and i found him very pleasant to talk too and watched him interact with everyone, and he made sure everyone had there time with him, his nose is not out of joint he seems to be a real gentlemen and down to earth and respectful. On first impression the guy looks like he could be one of the Duck Dynasty dudes gnarly dreadlocks....
iamchappy
And he even snapped a great picture of me in my car, it was his idea....
okieflyr
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 27 2015, 04:16 PM) *

If he had been in a 914 it may not have done that at that speed.

OR it would have just kept spinning barf.gif
Maltese Falcon
From what I digress from this unfortunate adventure, it does not look like Porsche was offering a ride-along experience. Although Magnus was present as a guest celebrity at the dealership, I think that the moment he drove off on public roads he was on his own.
I attended the media ( press) launch of the 991 which was held on the closed course tarmac of Santa Maria Airport. Upon signing a waiver, Factory drivers provided the ride-along. Walter Rhörl was one of the drivers w00t.gif
I would not have expected to see Herr Rhörl drifting on a main st.in a Porsche.
Magnus being a POC guy , instructor and holds a competition license probably just got caught up in the moment with a newsfeed camera rolling/reporter on board. Had he been piloting a CGT, that side hit that he took just behind the drivers door would have had a more serious consequence : as in fuel tank impact.
Lucky it was not any worse for all involved.

CGT fuel tank (not a safety bladder type). Note the contour of the seat shapes.

Click to view attachment
914_teener
I don.t see ANY difference between this and what happened to Paul Walker other than the fact that two people walked away with their lives and relatively unhurt.
JRust
I am surprised it happened there & with Magnus. I've done plenty of stupid things in my life. I have had the benefit of doing them when nobody was there to see it. Let alone record the whole thing. Hell Ive documented my own idiocy on more than one occasion. Sucky situation to be in for everyone involved. All it would take is a question from the reporter coming into the turn to distract him for a second. I know plenty of people will blast him for it. Deservedly so too. Having said that I'm not going to hold it against him. I'd still love to meet the guy & talk cars.
naro914
I should have also noted that I've met him a couple times, and as said, he's a cool guy...if he wasn't "famous" you'd think he was just another Porsche enthusiast.... Maybe that's why I'm disappointed in this....he doesn't come off as a show off, seems like a grounded type of guy and like someone that would shy away from showing off or doing something stupid...

I'd really love to hear what he has to say.... I think he would do himself a lot of good to own up to a stupid mistake and take full responsibility for it and not try to blame it on this or that...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.