Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flat towing the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Kansas 914
David at RennenMetal made a great product. What are people using now since he doesn't sell them anymore?

http://www.rennenmetal.com/manuals/towbar.pdf
VaccaRabite
Rennenmetal is not making stuff any more? That blows.

Zach
914itis
Got one from them about 7 months ago
Chris914n6
Lucky you, maybe it was the last one.

Thank you for visiting RennenMetal.com. We are no longer accepting orders.

I'm not excited to make myself one.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 24 2015, 02:44 PM) *

That thread was 2006-2009. Not sure what you are trying to say?
pvollma
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Sep 24 2015, 03:55 PM) *

David at RennenMetal made a great product. What are people using now since he doesn't sell them anymore?

http://www.rennenmetal.com/manuals/towbar.pdf

Back in the 1990's, I flat-towed my 914 GT-3 car using a universal towbar. The bar was hinged at the V, allowing it to be adjusted to fit the distance between the two mounting brackets that were located in the space for the fog lights. In the attached picture, the mounting brackets are behind the cover plates (needed every bit of aerodynamic help I could get).
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
I tried to find a solution but could not. I then found s complete setup at a swap meet but the mounting bracket was home brew. My car was/is too low for it to bolt on so I cut off the bits I needed and fabricated my own.

Rough

Click to view attachment

Finished. Shackles in the brackets as tow hooks when not connected...

Click to view attachment

The tow bar itself is still available as it's just a super beetle bar.

EdwardBlume
Here in CA flat towing a 914 requires supplemental brakes. I ultimately gave up after thinking it through...
Mikey914
I've flat towed all the way to Tahoe without any issues. I love the Rennmetal bar. If it's not available I would look at doing these just because they are so stout, and an excellent way to move a 914 (assuming it's got all 4 wheels). Bolts right into the front suspension. Love it.
JRust
I love my flat tow setup. Would be a good thing to have fabricated. I would love to do a setup like Mike's. Only problem for me is I'd need to add more bracing for it to be safe. I don't have a cage setup like Mike.

For flat towing the only downside is how much crap get's thrown up on your car. I had at least 6 new chips in my paint from my last trip sad.gif . Need to figure out something to keep that from happening
DBCooper
There's a clear plastic protectant, something like plasti-dip (or whatever that's called) that's easy to brush on and then later peel off. It's soft so debris bounces, doesn't chip. The RV guys use it on cars they tow around.

Mikey914
For Tahoe I literally used pallet wrap to cover the front of my car, worked awesome!
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 25 2015, 03:59 AM) *

Here in CA flat towing a 914 requires supplemental brakes. I ultimately gave up after thinking it through...

Whoa, supplemental brakes? So the tow car has to brake also, similar to a trailer with electric brakes?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 25 2015, 11:07 AM) *

If it's not available I would look at doing these just because they are so stout, and an excellent way to move a 914 (assuming it's got all 4 wheels). Bolts right into the front suspension. Love it.

Mark,

Here is the text from David's website. I think he is still around - maybe he has drawing/plans?

Thank you for visiting RennenMetal.com. We are no longer accepting orders.

I've had 8 successful years of offering race recovery and towing solutions to sports car enthusiasts worldwide, but as my work load increases with my day job, less time is available to provide the service my clients deserve.

As of February 20, 2015, I have decided to suspend my RennenMetal business and spend my free time working on my next 914 V8 project, my new Westfield Seven and put some more miles on my Beck 550 Spyder. See you on the road and at the track.

Thank you. David Lee

Mikey914
These are being launched on the Black Friday sale. Product tested and even shipped out a few. Going into full productionWill have bars with mounting hardware available 2 weeks.

Pre buy price a low $88 each
Keyser Sose
Outstanding.

Alphaogre
The only other variable to consider was that when you placed your order with rennmetal, you had to know what a-frame tow bars you will be using so the width of the brackets matches up.

I have used mine extensively in CA and had no issues. I just run the magnetic tail lights from HF.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-magne...-kit-63100.html

Mikey914
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Nov 23 2016, 09:09 AM) *

The only other variable to consider was that when you placed your order with rennmetal, you had to know what a-frame tow bars you will be using so the width of the brackets matches up.

I have used mine extensively in CA and had no issues. I just run the magnetic tail lights from HF.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-magne...-kit-63100.html

Set mine up for the EMPI Beetle tow bar. You could probably use an adjustable also.

Note on the Trailer lights from HF - Don't waste your money on the LED ones the wire is what fails way before the bulbs.

http://www.shop.914rubber.com/searchquick-...sc?keywords=tow
flyloki
This bar looks fantastic.

I just emailed Mikey and he said he would extend the $88 Black Friday early bird price if we could get a 10 unit group buy going. I'm in for 1, throw your hat in the ring and lets get flat towin'!
Brett W
Do you want a permanent solution or a temporary solution. I am selling the one I built to tow my car across the country. I worked beautifully. However my car has no front airdam when towing. Its not a permanent towing option that can be left on the car all the time.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Rand
RichD put a setup together fairly recently. Maybe he'll chime in or someone has a link to it?

edit: Found this with a quick search:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=294007
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 25 2015, 07:59 AM) *

You would never be pulled over for that. The only way it would even come up is if the cop wanted to do some 'piling on.' Or in other words, adding tickets on to a ticket.
I've flat towed my 914 using JCD914's setup from the East side of Sacramento all the way to Santa Rosa and back.
76-914
If it matters; I'm putting together a complete materials, cost, ordering info, etc.to make your own tow bar for any one wanting to use Mikeys tow bar attachment. I'm waiting on a shipment to come in this week then I'll post it up after I complete it. It will be a Hell of a lot cheaper than the ~$135 I've found for a super beetle tow bar and won't require a bender. beerchug.gif
Mikey914
These are coming out of powder tomorrow piratenanner.gif
We are still waiting for the spacers, but will send them just as soon as they are done. We used 2 different vendors for this as each is better for the size.

The bars will be in Tiger Drylac series 39 high floupolymer powder.
Pics tomorrow
914werke
QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 14 2016, 06:31 PM) *
RichD put a setup together fairly recently. Maybe he'll chime in or someone has a link to it?
edit: Found this with a quick search: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=294007

If you cant wait I have a limited run of this bar (approved by David formally of Rennemetal ) with all the assoc. hardware ...right now smile.gif
The ad is in the Members Vendor section
Mikey914
Just picked up
Mikey914
Turned out nicely
Mikey914
Unfortunately the spacers are not ready. They are a week or so out. We are sending the bars out. They can be mounted,but not used to tow without it. The spacers are easily added in. They sit in the front protective cap screw mount.
We are shipping out without these but they will show up in the mail in about 10 days.

Thanks all
6freak
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 25 2015, 09:47 AM) *

I love my flat tow setup. Would be a good thing to have fabricated. I would love to do a setup like Mike's. Only problem for me is I'd need to add more bracing for it to be safe. I don't have a cage setup like Mike.

For flat towing the only downside is how much crap get's thrown up on your car. I had at least 6 new chips in my paint from my last trip sad.gif . Need to figure out something to keep that from happening

stone guard at your local RV shop slips right on the reciever and is adjustable to the hight you need it
smile.gif
Mikey914
I use the flexdam we make (without the rubber). you can't see it. 5 screws and it's off to tow.

These do attach to the front of the control are mounts so it effectively bolts into the "frame".
Mikey914
Sorry I thought you said under. What I jave done while towing is to wrap the car in 24" stretch wrap on the front. Did this to Tahoe thought the car would be clean under, but dirty water did get under. It was cleaner than the rest of the car and no rock chips.
wayner
I just saw this.
I'm too late for the group buy I assume?
Mikey914
Nope just in time for mine I'll run til the end of the year. The black Friday specials are rolling out the door today (some left yesterday). They are short the 2 mounting tubes that will follow in about 10 days (maybe less). The GB oned will ship complete in 10 days (or so).

Here you go

http://shop.914rubber.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=tow
76-914
I may now have a use for that Porsche Bra as a chip guard idea.gif
Mikey914
It gets better here. And I'll tip my hand a little. We are working on a chip protector and a Car Jacket. I'm running so testing on mine this winter outside on my Blue car.
The tow protector will be an additional item that will be available. Some testing will be required, but this is where this is going. We will be making a chip guard bra for towing.
Kansas 914
popcorn[1].gif
Alphaogre
YES PLEASE!!!!!
StratPlayer
I ordered the bar from 914 rubber, the super beetle tongue set up should arrive today. Going to get this installed next week.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Mar 6 2017, 11:27 AM) *

I ordered the bar from 914 rubber, the super beetle tongue set up should arrive today. Going to get this installed next week.

Jimmy - Let us know how it goes.
StratPlayer
Mike I sure will, I have the LE valance up front and according to mikey {914 rubber} I shouldn't have to remove the valance. I will soon find out. beer3.gif
914work
popcorn[1].gif
VaccaRabite
I've had lots of luck flat towing over the years, and one bad experience.
While flat towing Matt's gold 911, I ran over a nipple filler cap at a gas station, and it somehow knocked out the alignment on Matt's car, and the car instantly became un-towable. The front wheels started going from full lock left to full lock right and back again. Damndest thing I've seen. We had to spend several hours finding a tow dolly before the trip could continue and we could make the last 90 or so miles.

As long as the car is in good shape, its not an issue. If the alignment had gone out at speed though for some reason, well, I'm glad it didn't.

Zach
dlee6204
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 7 2017, 10:40 AM) *

I've had lots of luck flat towing over the years, and one bad experience.
While flat towing Matt's gold 911, I ran over a nipple filler cap at a gas station, and it somehow knocked out the alignment on Matt's car, and the car instantly became un-towable. The front wheels started going from full lock left to full lock right and back again. Damndest thing I've seen. We had to spend several hours finding a tow dolly before the trip could continue and we could make the last 90 or so miles.

Mine does that too every time I make too tight of a turn at lower speeds. Usually in parking lots.
StratPlayer
My tongue setup arrived. Today I will mount the safety chains.
markhoward
I'm in for one. BTW, I'm a new member but have been on Pelican for a while with same user name.
jeffdon
QUOTE(markhoward @ Mar 7 2017, 09:35 AM) *

I'm in for one. BTW, I'm a new member but have been on Pelican for a while with same user name.

welcome.png
Mikey914
Tow bars in stock ready to ship

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Flat-tow-Bar...m?categoryId=-1

914werke
There are two products from two member /vendors represented in this thread.
The one from 914rubber which uses the super beetle bar & the one I produced which can use a drawtite or super beetle bar.
Tow bars in stock ready to ship

Same here smile.gif
Ad HERE
Story HERE
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 7 2017, 10:48 AM) *

Mark,

Has there been any progress on your making of the actual tow bar (hitch to car)? I thought I remember some conversation about you making that piece similar (but improved) to the EMPI product.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.