Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driveway Paintjob Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
xsboost90
make sure you shake the stripper up real good too. I used marhyde tal strip 2 and it had separated abit and didnt work too well until i shook the crap out of it and then it was much better. Heat makes it work quicker, but i killed my heater being too close to the fumes, glogged it up real good, so careful. Definitly scrape off as much as possible before it dries.
Korijo
metal mad-man John Kelly recommends Jasco stripper. available at home depot.

wurks as gud as the aircraft stuff, but costs less...
CptTripps
QUOTE (Korijo @ Mar 9 2005, 03:20 PM)
metal mad-man John Kelly recommends Jasco stripper. available at home depot.

wurks as gud as the aircraft stuff, but costs less...

That stuff is NASTY! Especally if you cover it with tin-foil. I took 20yrs of gunk off of a floor with it in about 2hrs once. I think I still have a fair bit. I keep opening the can up to let the air out. It bloats over time. I'll look over and it's like it's holding it's breath or something...

andys
I have done a few driveway and parking lot paint jobs with reasonably good results. Though not for bragging rights, you'd be surprised at how well they came out. As was posted before, early morning (few bugs and no wind), hose down the area and keep it wet. The parking lot jobs were done at a couple of different freinds' shops. Same deal, early morning, and hose the area down. Even did a 19ft ski boat this way. If the local constable happens by, then I suspect you're in trouble. Though an early morning in an industrial area would be unlikely.

BTW, that Jasco stripper is quite good and readily available. I'll have to read the label; I suspect it contains methylene chloride....great for attacking paint and bondo (or most polymers). And yes, I too like the cup wire brush for removing the bondo.

Andy
rhodyguy
pretty darn ambitious scott. do you plan on build primer and sanding to help with the waveys? if i were to ever attempt this i think i would get one of john kelly's shrinking discs to cut down on the primer and sanding.

k
skline
Well, I had a few visitors today and got quite a bit done or should I say farther along. Its turned out to be more work than I first thought. Turns out there was a lot of bondo in this car in places I didnt even think of. The worst was in the passenger rear fender. Just behind the wheelwell. Looks like a large ballpeen hammer hit and several small ones on top of that. Depth was about 3/4 on an inch. The worst part is the lip damage. I dont know if I can get that one out so I may be welding in a new replacement section. It wont be the first time I have had to do that. Here is the way to properly pull dents back out if you can get your hands on one. I love this thing, it works so cool.

skline
Another shot in a different spot.
skline
There were dents where the studs are welded on, they are pulled out almost perfect. I will go back and grind off the studs and finish it with spot putty. All the red circles are where dents are. Some are worse than others. The next few days will be working on removing all the dents and welding in metal where the side marker lights were and the holes where the sail trim was. The green paint is not coming off very easy. Some places it is like the metal has turned green. For the most part, the car is stripped. I will take it the rest of the way with sanders.
skline
The worst dents to remove in the car.
skline
The part I just happened to have on the side of my house. Amazing the crap I collected over the years.
skline
The drivers side rear is riddled with a flock of little dents in one area. I will pull and then hammer and dolly these out. I will post more progress as I make some, Stuff to do tomorrow so not sure what I will get done.

CptTripps
Dude! How much toe-in are you running in the rear? Looks like about 20-degrees!

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

OUTSTANDING work so far...Keep it up man!

QUOTE (skline @ Mar 10 2005, 03:46 AM)
user posted image

SpecialK
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 10 2005, 01:43 AM)
Dude! How much toe-in are you running in the rear? Looks like about 20-degrees!

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

OUTSTANDING work so far...Keep it up man!

QUOTE (skline @ Mar 10 2005, 03:46 AM)
user posted image

SHIT!! ohmy.gif

For a second, I thought that was the front wheel!!
redshift
It is the front wheel.

huh.gif ohmy.gif wacko.gif

The teener is the automotive Pushmepullyou.

M
SpecialK
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 10 2005, 02:46 AM)
It is the front wheel.

huh.gif ohmy.gif wacko.gif

The teener is the automotive Pushmepullyou.

M

I hear ya Miles..........and so does my dog. smoke.gif
redshift
That was a cruel experiment... being a Bulldog kindofsewer, I am sure that dog wants nothing more than to find a butt to lick..

M
SpecialK
Fret not Miles....he's also got two peckers (happy dog, happy dog!)
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Special_K @ Mar 10 2005, 03:17 AM)
Fret not Miles....he's also got two peckers (happy dog, happy dog!)

lol2.gif
skline
Thanks guys for hijacking my thread. A little humor is sometimes a good way to break up the boredom. As for the toe in, I am installing new ball joints and turbo tie rods and then it will go to the alignment shop for a 4 wheel. I didnt even notice it before.
skline
Minor update, actually had work so I have not got to do much to the cars. Today, since it is going to rain over the weekend I decided to switch cars in the precious garage space so i could work on the 74 when its raining. Since it was stripped and a lot of bare metal showing, it was only logical it should be in out of the rain. I went and picked up a plastic cover and put the Chalon outside with the plastic and then a heavy duty car cover which should keep it dry. Here is a picture of the two cars together for the first time in the driveway. I will take some pics over the weekend and post them as things progress.
MattR
Damn scott, thats a sweet picture. Thanks a lot... the chalon is starting to grow on me. I hope thats your new desktop wallpaper!

Then when both are painted and done you can take an "after" picture with both cars in the same position biggrin.gif
skline
Been a few days or so since I updated this so I thought you all might like to see the carnage I have created in my garage. Turns out this car didnt have many places on it without dents or bondo on it. Turned out to be a little more than I anticipated. Here is the car all stripped and the mess in my garage. I have cleaned it about 4 times already when I get done at night. Here is the first of 4 pictures.
skline
Number 2
skline
Number 3
skline
Number 4
skline
The drivers door is about all but steel, mostly bondo so it will be replaced by a spare I have in my garage. I had bought a set of doors a few years ago and since the Chalon needs a passenger door (Its all bondo too) and the drivers door on the 74 are plastic, I have a replacement for both. How convenient. I think I removed about 40 pound of bondo from this car. Used my cool little stud welder and removed a lot of little dings and dents all over the car. So the car is much lighter now, should go faster now.
CptTripps
Great work!

I have that same propane heater. It's my best friend out there! (in this pic)

user posted image

I found the same problems on my car. I'll bet I pulled 4lbs of bondo off the drivers side.

BTW: I love that you have a computer case in the garage too. biggrin.gif
skline
There are several computer cases out in my garage. Hopefully in another month or two, I wont have to work on those anymore. Just for friends but not for a living.
SpecialK
"Hopefully in another month or two, I wont have to work on those anymore. "

Going into Automotive restoration?

'Cause you've made more progress on yours in a week, than I've made on mine in a year! Guess I need to put down the beer, and pick up the sander/welder/hammer.....pace.

Git R done! aktion035.gif
1bad914
Great thread! I picked up a 74 a couple of years ago that looked really good, I did not take my magnet with me when I inspected the car, so I missed the 1/2 inch of bondo over both doors and rear quarters, the left front fender was worse, whoever did this work was really good with bondo, you could not tell it was filled with it. Oh well, it became a really nice looking parts car! It's the one in the middle!
skline
That is an awesome shop, if I had facilities like that, I might go into the restoration business. Business has been so slow the last month I have had plenty of time to work on the cars. Tuesday I go in for my Longshore processing. With any luck, I will be a casual this time next week.
Joe Bob
"Casual"

I looked that up in the TTEG Dictionary....

"Junior Bitch" aka "Chum" aka "here pull mah finger" aka "get me a bucket of steam" aka "make sure there's no damn pickles this time"..... lol2.gif

Gud luk....
skline
Yup, thats the job. I just need to put in about 1500 hours of it and then go to regular status. You have to start somewhere. I should have done this 20 years ago.
skline
Ok, time to update this I guess. Its about 2 in the afternoon and I needed to primer the car to see where it still needs work. So here are shots of it drying in the driveway. I only shot the bottom since I am not done sanding the top yet. Lots to do and its 85 in the garage. What a bitchen day.
skline
next
skline
Last one.
skline
Minor update, been working on the car off and on between helping others. Today I have been working on it and sanding and shooting primer. I replaced the drivers door with a spare I had in the garage. Stripped the paint off and to my surprise, not one speck of bondo anywhere. I sanded it and rubbed it all over looking for dings or dents. Found one but I cant see it. Shot some primer on the door figuring it would show up then. Cant find it. Cant see it, cant feel it with a bare hand but if you rub it with a cloth you can feel it. I will screw with it later. For now it is good enough. Here is a picture of the new door installed. Now I just need to install all the insides. It was a bare door. Fun
neo914-6
Scott,

Maybe you mentioned it already but are you going to shoot both of your cars before the WCC05? Many years ago I sprayed my cars both in booths and in my dad's garage. It's a real pleasure to peal off the paper and tape after it's dry. My little piece of advise: Don't rush it in the end or it may screw up all the time you spent in the prep.
skline
Not a chance in the world of getting both cars painted by the WCC. Just primer for now. I will paint them this summer hopefully. The bodies are not good enough for me to shoot color on yet so primer will have to do for now. At least they will be all one color and even match for now. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.