Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 1.7 air filter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BillC
Does anyone have a source for new air filters that will fit a '73 1.7 914? I've been searching, but the only place I can find that lists that application is AA. Unfortunately, the ones they sell aren't an exact fit -- they are the same outside diameter and same height, but the inside diameter is much larger and won't seal properly inside the air filter housing. I could make an adapter out of sheet aluminum, but would rather have the correct fitment instead.

BTW, I called AA and asked them about the filters they sell not fitting correctly. Their response was basically "we know, but no one has anything better; and we're not going to bother making adapters, either."
r_towle
Read this

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=266603
BillC
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 19 2015, 08:48 PM) *

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it doesn't answer the question.

Guess I'm just going to have to make an adapter, to make up for the too-large ID.
r_towle
I'm in the same boat, and have done some looking around for a filter that is close enough to fit with a little cutting or gasketing.

Below is some info I posted a while back. I still haven't gotten my 1.7 back together far enough to need an air filter, so I haven't actually tried any of these yet.

Dimensions:
Mann C2180 (OEM, NLA)
124mm ID
207mm OD
82mm tall

Champion AF103 (NLA)
125mm ID
205mm OD
82mm tall

The K & N E-1040
160mm ID
211mm OD
83mm tall

Motorcraft C2OZ9601AR (FA3R)
3.225" tall (81.9mm)
8.313" OD (211.1mm)
but can't find an ID for it. I also see slight variations on dimensions depending on where you look.

Champion 70567 (1980 Ford F150 w/ 300 I-6)
8.410" OD (213.6mm)
6.630" ID (168.4mm)
3.230" tall (82.0mm)

Gary
r_towle
Post above is the best answer I have seen.

The stock filter is NLA.
Reach out to other vendors and you might get lucky and find them on someone shelf, but they have been long gone for a while now.

You can make some of the ones listed above work, but nothing is perfect.
stinkindiesel
Yep, something close and an adapter is the only thing I've found. I'll keep looking, but I'm not holding out much hope.

At least the Frod filters are cheap!

Gary
Reno914
I saw this post, and I had issues a while back when trying to get a replacement. I ended up taking my filter down to my local NAPA and we matched up the height, and internal diameter to get a replacement that would work.

Ended up with a NAPA GOLD 2110
it has good fitment on the Internal ring, and the height matches well.

Might be worth giving a look.

Click to view attachment

Reno
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Reno914 @ Oct 20 2015, 03:31 PM) *

Reno

agree.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 20 2015, 03:47 PM) *

Reno

agree.gif

I did some serious searching several years ago for dry air intake replacement filters for my Feb 1973 build 1.7L(all original by the way!) and found a NAPA #2909 filter to be an exact replacement for the original. Don't know if the product number has changed, but there are replacements available. aktion035.gif
doug_b_928
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 20 2015, 06:47 PM) *

Reno

agree.gif

I thought it was NAPA GOLD 2011??
913B
popcorn[1].gif

inquiring minds would like to know biggrin.gif
BillC
I looked up those NAPA numbers, and it looks like the 2011 is closest, but still not quite right (ID is too big). Also, none of them are as tall as the stock filter, so they may not seal properly against the filter housing lid. Size numbers are below, all taken directly from NAPA's web site.

NAPA 2909
ID: 173mm
OD: 233mm
Height: 67mm

NAPA 2011
ID: 164mm
OD: 203mm
Height: 76mm

NAPA 2110
ID: 127mm
OD: 161mm

QUOTE(Reno914 @ Oct 20 2015, 05:31 PM) *

I saw this post, and I had issues a while back when trying to get a replacement. I ended up taking my filter down to my local NAPA and we matched up the height, and internal diameter to get a replacement that would work.

it has good fitment on the Internal ring, and the height matches well.

Might be worth giving a look.

Click to view attachment

Reno

Did you check the fit on the bottom of the air filter housing? The ones I got from AA fit nicely in the top (like in your pic), but they don't seal in the bottom housing. The bottom housing has a center ring for sealing on the ID of the stock air filter, and then ribs farther out. The ID of the AA filters are too big, and sit on the ribs instead of sealing on the center part of the lower housing. I also pulled both parts of the housing out and tested the height of the AA filter -- since the reinforcement ribs are lower than the sealing ring, the AA filter isn't tall enough to seal at the top.

Making an adapter will be pretty simple. Just a flat sheetmetal disc (probably aluminum) with an inside hole to match the stock filter and an OD to match the AA filter. And maybe bend up a couple of tabs on the outside to hold the AA filter in place when installing the lid.
Reno914

Click to view attachment

Reno
[/quote]
Did you check the fit on the bottom of the air filter housing? The ones I got from AA fit nicely in the top (like in your pic), but they don't seal in the bottom housing. The bottom housing has a center ring for sealing on the ID of the stock air filter, and then ribs farther out. The ID of the AA filters are too big, and sit on the ribs instead of sealing on the center part of the lower housing. I also pulled both parts of the housing out and tested the height of the AA filter -- since the reinforcement ribs are lower than the sealing ring, the AA filter isn't tall enough to seal at the top.

Making an adapter will be pretty simple. Just a flat sheetmetal disc (probably aluminum) with an inside hole to match the stock filter and an OD to match the AA filter. And maybe bend up a couple of tabs on the outside to hold the AA filter in place when installing the lid.
[/quote]

I think I can take a look this evening and and get a picture for you (depends on kids/wife/etc.). When I got the replacement air filter I took the old one down, and the guys at Napa measured the ID and height of the old filter and we worked to find one that would match and fit inside the air box.

Reno
Reno914
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Oct 20 2015, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 20 2015, 06:47 PM) *

Reno

agree.gif

I thought it was NAPA GOLD 2011??

Doug the air filter I have in my car has the number 2110

Click to view attachment

Reno
doug_b_928
Interesting. My car is inoperable but I bought a 2011 and compared it to the existing filter (at least 30 years old) and it was not an exact match, but was thought to be the closest possible. I should have taken a picture but don't think I did and everything is now in storage.
BillC
Just for giggles, I went down to the garage to look at the two filters I got from AA. The first one had no numbers, but had a spot that looked like it might have had numbers at one point. The other one had very faint, hard-to-read markings, but clearly says NAPA Gold 2011. So now we know where their filters actually came from.
913B
what is the consensus, which has a better fit 2011 or 2110 ? idea.gif
stinkindiesel
Mann C2180 (OEM, NLA)
124mm ID
207mm OD
82mm tall

NAPA 2011
ID: 164mm
OD: 203mm

NAPA 2110
ID: 127mm
OD: 161mm

So the 2011 and 2110 would both need a 6mm (just a hair under 1/4") gasket to seal top and bottom. 2110 has the smaller ID, so is more likely to seal to the flat area of the filter housing. Take some 1/8" gasket material, cut two 6.5" donuts, and place one under and one over the 2110 and you should be close enough to get a good seal.

Gary
Reno914
[/quote]

[/quote]

here is how the filter fits on the bottom housing.
Click to view attachment

Definitely fits on the flat, and has very little movement side to side against the internal lip on the bottom. I have not tried to see how much space is between the filter and the housing top to bottom. need to figure out how to do that.

Reno
BillC
QUOTE(Reno914 @ Oct 23 2015, 03:30 PM) *

Definitely fits on the flat, and has very little movement side to side against the internal lip on the bottom. I have not tried to see how much space is between the filter and the housing top to bottom. need to figure out how to do that.

Reno

When I checked mine, I took the whole filter housing out of the car (top and bottom). I then pulled the old filter, stuck the new filter in and put the top on the bottom. I then just shook the filter assembly up-and-down, and listened to the filter bounce up-and-down in there. Not really a quantitative measurement, but a good indication that the filter wouldn't seal -- if it sealed properly, it wouldn't move inside the housing.
stinkindiesel
Put the new filter in the bottom of the housing. Place some modeling clay on the top of the filter. Put the top on. Pull the top back off and check how high the modeling clay is now. Find gasket to match. Drive and enjoy.

Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.