Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Been trailer shopping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 28 2015, 10:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 28 2015, 10:05 PM) *

I built this 12' trailer about 25 years ago from plans in a hot VW's mag article.
At the time it cost me $550 in parts.

I need to rebuild it now and wondering what to use for the deck, I want a full solid deck this time but it has to be light. The crossmembers are 24" OC
It was designed for a VW bug, that's why the axle sits so far back, I might move it forward a bit.

I still have that article, are the plans still available?

now I remember I didn't have plans, I made my own using the scale of a bug and the fact it was a 12" trailer, to get my measurements.

I'd be happy to measure it out for you if you like..
914forme
That would be great, thank you beerchug.gif
Unobtanium-inc
My first trailer was a single axle trailer that barely fit a 356. But it was small enough that I could pull it behind my 4cyl Nissan Frontier. I did cross-country with it, but it wasn't ideal, think 3rd gear getting up the PA mountains. But if you were only going around town or to the track, it might work for someone, and a smaller trailer takes up less room.
mepstein
The guys are delivering a couple cars
mepstein
Another shop trailer
No ramps needed
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(arsprod @ Oct 29 2015, 07:49 AM) *

This is a great selection of trailers, who wants to sell me one?! My biggest problem is storage - where do you all keep your trailers? My wife's been clear that it will not live in our yard and the driveway is pretty full. I've been thinking about having a 12-footer built that will fit in the garage with a car on it but would really like something a bit bigger. Help!

I store mine next to the shed in the backyard. It is blocked from the view of the house by the shed. IMHO a 12' trailer would not be big enough. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 16'
arsprod
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Nov 2 2015, 02:33 PM) *

This is a great selection of trailers, who wants to sell me one?! My biggest problem is storage - where do you all keep your trailers? My wife's been clear that it will not live in our yard and the driveway is pretty full. I've been thinking about having a 12-footer built that will fit in the garage with a car on it but would really like something a bit bigger. Help!

I store mine next to the shed in the backyard. It is blocked from the view of the house by the shed. IMHO a 12' trailer would not be big enough. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 16'

Why's that? Here's what I'm thinking of having built - 12' bed with 4' tongue. This a friend of mine's - he's been using it for 3 years with no issues. IPB Image
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(arsprod @ Nov 2 2015, 01:42 PM) *

Why's that? Here's what I'm thinking of having built - 12' bed with 4' tongue. This a friend of mine's - he's been using it for 3 years with no issues. IPB Image

For me I prefer to have a little extra room for loading and unloading. If you ever want to haul something a little longer / bigger than your 914 it gives you room to do so. Also not a fan of a single axle trailers. In my experience I found them to be a bit bouncy. I like dual axles better.

I use my trailer for more than just hauling my racecar to the track. Having the stake pockets makes it easy to "modify" for whatever I need to haul. This past week I dropped in some side rails I made and hauled home a big load of firewood. Done the same for hauling rock, mulch, and more.

I had a trailer for years (14ft) that was just big enough to haul my car and it worked ok. Once we got the new home (15yrs ago) it made more sense for me to have something a little bigger that I am able to change around to do more than just haul my car.
arsprod
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Nov 2 2015, 03:19 PM) *

Why's that? Here's what I'm thinking of having built - 12' bed with 4' tongue. This a friend of mine's - he's been using it for 3 years with no issues.

For me I prefer to have a little extra room for loading and unloading. If you ever want to haul something a little longer / bigger than your 914 it gives you room to do so. Also not a fan of a single axle trailers. In my experience I found them to be a bit bouncy. I like dual axles better.

I use my trailer for more than just hauling my racecar to the track. Having the stake pockets makes it easy to "modify" for whatever I need to haul. This past week I dropped in some side rails I made and hauled home a big load of firewood. Done the same for hauling rock, mulch, and more.

I had a trailer for years (14ft) that was just big enough to haul my car and it worked ok. Once we got the new home (15yrs ago) it made more sense for me to have something a little bigger that I am able to change around to do more than just haul my car.

Yeah, all makes sense but storage is a serious problem for me. Unless I discover a reasonable alternative (i.e. cheap) I need to keep it in my garage. At 16' total this will fit fine, still enough room for another car (the 914!). I'm actually seeing if they can make this with dual axles... probably little bitty wheels!
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(arsprod @ Nov 2 2015, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Nov 2 2015, 03:19 PM) *

Why's that? Here's what I'm thinking of having built - 12' bed with 4' tongue. This a friend of mine's - he's been using it for 3 years with no issues.

Yeah, all makes sense but storage is a serious problem for me. Unless I discover a reasonable alternative (i.e. cheap) I need to keep it in my garage. At 16' total this will fit fine, still enough room for another car (the 914!). I'm actually seeing if they can make this with dual axles... probably little bitty wheels!

My old 14ft had dual axles with stock tires. Make sure you get removable fenders it makes it easier to open the doors of the car if needed while on the trailer. If you are having it built I would get the stake pockets added. I know I keep saying that, but sure is nice to be able to haul other things when needed.
arsprod

My old 14ft had dual axles with stock tires. Make sure you get removable fenders it makes it easier to open the doors of the car if needed while on the trailer. If you are having it built I would get the stake pockets added. I know I keep saying that, but sure is nice to be able to haul other things when needed.

Technically this is a 12' trailer so not sure they can do dual axles. Removable left side fender and stake pockets already added! Haven't pulled the trigger yet
mrfourteen
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 21 2015, 08:27 AM) *

If you are serious about towing long distances, get an aluminum one.

They cost good money (even used). However, they hold their value as well. I bet I could sell mine for what I paid for it.

Click to view attachment

I bought the twin to this (Trailex) for $1200 hold out for better.
Unobtanium-inc
We got a great deal on our Featherlite. A guy paid $7995 for it, he used it about a dozen times and called us to sell it for $3000. There was a catch, it had to be cash, and it had to be that weekend. He was filing for bankruptcy for his company on Monday. He had a "Netflix" style operation for exotic cars, you drive the Lambo this month, and the Ferrari the next, but when the economy tanked in 2007 he was left holding the bag, so it was a cheap Featherlite for us.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.