Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear suspension console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mr2by4
QUOTE(mbseto @ Dec 7 2015, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Dec 6 2015, 11:10 AM) *

The trick is to become an artist with the cut off wheel in short order.

Quoted for truth.

You might be able to just remove the part of the patch that is covering the console corner. Just grind that part of the weld off, and then cut the patch layer along the console edge- it should be easy to extend a scribe line from the part of the edge that is not covered.

Also, if no part of that console is salvageable, I would just cut the exposed part of it out of the way, then you can pry on the remainder from the inside, so to speak.

That is the plan of attack, but at each point I have sought the path of least resistance and have been sliding incrementally down the slippery slope to total war. If I can get out of this without having to replace the entire section, I will call it a win. Anything better than that will be a miracle!
mbseto
Yeah, I'm on a similar track. Peeled off patches that look like they were just cut from whatever was lying around and just layered over whatever was there, got to the console and removed it. Stay strong!
mr2by4
So I have leaped in with both feet. I started cutting. I had to cut out my "GT style" battery tray (fabricated from angle iron). I started to clear out the section of the shelf that would need to go and clear off the paint etc to see where are the welds are that I would need to drill out.
Click to view attachment
I accidentally trimmed too much and revealed the chassis under the suspension console at one point and decided I would see how bad things are before killing myself drilling out all the welds and finding that there is nothing behind it.
I cut a peek hole in the console and revealed rusty(loks to be mostly surface) but solid metal underneath.
Click to view attachment
I now need to get another couple of abrasive discs, a better face shield and the weld cutter to get in and really make some headway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.