Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Paint Stripping Method?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
CptTripps
QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 20 2005, 08:30 PM)
I can't get anything but audio out of that .avi clip.

How about a pic of the 3m disks you bought and whatever it was you ended up using.

Yeah...I'm re-uploading it.

Here's the new link.

http://www.hardman.org/pix/914_progress/91...es/grinding.mov
(Still 6.6MB)

I didn't take any pics of the disks...I'll run out later and take a few. (Watching The Contender, then Deadwood.)
thomasotten
I started stripping paint on a door that turns out to have some bondo on it. I am trying not to disturb the bondo too much because it looks like they did a pretty good job. When I get all the paint off, I am going to spray sealer over the entire door. Do I have to do anything differently when sealing, since undoubtedly some of the paint stripper will have been absorbed by the bondo?
914GT
I'd sand the filler down far enough to eliminate any that could have been softened or may have absorbed stripper. Then this will require applying a fresh coat of filler or polyester putty to replace what was lost and then block sanding it flat. If you have bare metal use epoxy then 2k primer/surfacer if more sanding required. No bare metal than a sealer followed by the paint, or 2k primer/surfacer.
CptTripps
QUOTE (thomasotten @ Mar 22 2005, 02:44 PM)
I started stripping paint on a door that turns out to have some bondo on it. I am trying not to disturb the bondo too much because it looks like they did a pretty good job. When I get all the paint off, I am going to spray sealer over the entire door. Do I have to do anything differently when sealing, since undoubtedly some of the paint stripper will have been absorbed by the bondo?

That's what worred me. If I'd just done the disks from the start, I'd have left the bondo'd areas alone. I was nervous that the paint would re-activate some of the stripper.

Bottom line: I didn't want to take any chances!
Allan
Nice clip. Man I hated the forearm pump and burn I got from doing my fire-wall that way.
J P Stein
I used both the Aircraft stripper & discs similar to Gint's recommendation. It was a miserable job as I had 4-5 color coats to get off....which needed 2-3 applications of stripper.
A very few spots had just one color coat and needed one app.
Then I removed all else with the "rice cakes".
Etch primed, multiple hi-build coats.....sanding as I went, last sanding with 400 grit, then color.

It look like someone painted it in their garage laugh.gif

BTW,Used an air powered die grinder
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.