Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeemerSteve
I bought a 1973 2.0 a few months back needing various things done to it one being a clutch adjustment. After the adjustment the car shifted great except for the weak 2nd gear syncro knowing one day that will be addressed.

My question is I noticed the clutch adjustment on the cable looks as though it's nearing the end with maybe one more adjustment left and the adjustment I made a couple months back it's now shifting the way it was when I bought it......is it going to need a clutch cable or a clutch replacement?

It's been awhile since I've owned a dry clutch car and with a wet clutch it's usually air in the line with knowing the clutch is not slipping while driving which in the case of my 914 it's not slipping while driving too.

Please and thank you's for your help!
Bob L.
Could be a few things...

1) Clutch cable is stretching. Add washer(s) to the threaded end of the cable at transmission to pull it tighter

2) Clutch tube is coming loose in the tunnel and would have to be welded/secured in place. Look in tunnel access holes to see if tube is shifting when you press the pedal. You could convert to a hydraulic clutch release. Do a search for examples.

3) Clutch is wearing out.

Good luck.
era vulgaris
From what I have read there was a brand making clutch cables about a decade ago (don't know if they still are) that were too long. My old 914 was the same. Just use some oversized nuts as spacers, and that'll give you more room for adjustment.
BeemerSteve
Thanks for your answers....I'll make the check list before I assume the worst. I do think it's a bit strange that the clutch all of a sudden went out of adjustment just in a month or so.

I was hoping to get some more time out of it before the big tear down happens (too cold here in winter) when I swap components over to another tub that's rust free.

Thank you for your responses.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Dec 30 2015, 12:30 PM) *

2) Clutch tube is coming loose in the tunnel and would have to be welded/secured in place. Look in tunnel access holes to see if tube is shifting when you press the pedal. You could convert to a hydraulic clutch release. Do a search for examples.

This one is really good one to check and I believe quite common. The clutch tube is secured in several places (twice in the tunnel, and once at the firewall, I think). The symptom you describe of it suddenly "going out of adjustment could be one of those points giving way. If that happens, the tube will likely move more and reduce your effective cable travel. Worse, it puts additional stress on those places it is still secured, and if/when those give way you've got no clutch at all. Happened to me.

There are several threads here about repairing if that is, in fact, your problem. Here's an example: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=28313
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 30 2015, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Dec 30 2015, 12:30 PM) *

This one is really good one to check and I believe quite common. The clutch tube is secured in several places (twice in the tunnel, and once at the firewall, I think). The symptom you describe of it suddenly "going out of adjustment could be one of those points giving way. If that happens, the tube will likely move more and reduce your effective cable travel. Worse, it puts additional stress on those places it is still secured, and if/when those give way you've got no clutch at all. Happened to me.

There are several threads here about repairing if that is, in fact, your problem. Here's an example: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=28313

Sounds like that happened. Looks like the first thing to dig in to. Thanks!!!
luskesq
Sounds like the issue I had (two broken welds). The above reference is handy as well as: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=79938 which has some measurements. You don't need it but I happened to have a HF flexible scope that allowed for easier inspection.

Good luck,

Keith
TheCabinetmaker
Remove the four bolts that hold the shifter to the floor. Turn the shifter mount plate 90 degrees. Have someone push the clutch pedal and watch the tube in the tunnel for movement.
brant
You need to post a pic of your cable end

Do you have any spacers under the nuts to acess more thread? You should.
Spoke
Had this happen to me. Adjusted the clutch like 3 times in 2 weeks. Then while pushing in the clutch; BANG; clutch pedal to the floor; cable snapped. Luckily I was a mile from home with no traffic around.

Get that thing looked at ASAP. Either the clutch cable or the clutch tube is loose. Jack it up and get under it while someone presses the clutch pedal. If the tube at the firewall moves, there's your issue. If no movement, buy a new clutch cable.
BeemerSteve
I appreciate all your help!! Lots of things to do but right now the garage is 26 degrees Fahrenheit my hands won't last in the temperature.
I guess the first thing to do is find a heater or wait till next week for the temp to go up.
Lots of great direction....thank you all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.