Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need axles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dr. Roger
I know I need axles for my V8 conversion but so far all anyone has come up with is to spend $800 over at our * Hybrids friends.

Aren't there any alternatives for the mechanically enclined?
bondo
The cheapest high strength option is to use the shorter 911 axles with adapters. The adapters are expensive from the hybrid suppliers, but they aren't very complicated. If you have access to a lathe and a mill you could make them.
Joe Bob
Use stock ones and keep the burn outs to a minimum....I have an extra set if needed....
dlee1967
Roger, buy four axle adapters from RH at $70 each (still steep) and then go to your local Autozone and buy two rebuilt 1970ish VW Bus axles for $89 each. They are the same size CVs at 915s and the axles are strong. Return your stock 914 axles in the core boxes and try to sleep at night for sticking them on the cores.

At least this gets you the same thing at a reduced price. Then you can do the burnouts without the risk of a flailing axle. I've broken a stock CV and it isn't pretty when it is finished spinning.

DLee
Andyrew
Dlee. Their adapters are 70 each? times 4... 280..
Cv's are 90 x 2 thats roughly 200..

500 total

This is something I might be doing VERY soon...

Ahh spending my money finally.. lol
bondo
You need 4, unless you use 911 stub axles, and then you'd probably still need a spacer.

Sticking them on the cores? The 914 ones are probably worth more nowadays smile.gif
Andyrew
Can you give them broken one's as cores?

Never mind, I have like 2 of em that I dont like anyways.. lol (really rough, not smooth at all... lol)
bondo
Just return the cores on a different day and you could probably put toyota halfshafts in there smile.gif
Andyrew
Go to pick and pull, take a bag with you.. snach a couple you fine laying out there.. wink.gif

lol

ClayPerrine
If you are going 5lug, use the 944 turbo axles. They are quite a bit bigger than the 914 axles, and they don't require an adapter. You have to change the drive flanges on the transmission for 75-76 911 , and you can use 69 911 hubs on the outboard end. It all bolts together with no machining required.

Andyrew
Clay, really? Because I have turbo axles in the garage awaitin... (or maybe there na... I cant remember..)

Have any more details? Or do you know who has done it so I can email them?
ClayPerrine
I have all the pieces. Wes Hildreth of H&H in Plano Texas has done a bunch of them. It is truly a bolt in.

From the transmission outward....

75-75 911 coarse splined drive flanges (915 transmission).

complete 944 turbo axle shaft. You can tell it's the correct one if the 944 has ALUMINUM trailing arms. If it has steel arms, the axle won't work.

69 911 hubs.

The 944 turbo stub axle is the exact same splines as the 69 911. It is a bigger, beefer CV joint, and the axle length is the same as a 914. The drive flanges out of a coarse splined 915 will bolt into a 901 gearbox, and its the same bolt pattern as the 944 CV joint. It also uses 6 CV joint bolts instead of 4.

I am going to take pictures of mine when I install them. I have to make caliper mounts for the rear of my car, and then get the trailing arms powdercoated.

After that, its picture time!!!!

Dr. Roger
QUOTE (dlee1967 @ Mar 16 2005, 02:58 PM)
Roger, buy four axle adapters from RH at $70 each (still steep) and then go to your local Autozone and buy two rebuilt 1970ish VW Bus axles for $89 each. They are the same size CVs at 915s and the axles are strong. Return your stock 914 axles in the core boxes and try to sleep at night for sticking them on the cores.

At least this gets you the same thing at a reduced price. Then you can do the burnouts without the risk of a flailing axle. I've broken a stock CV and it isn't pretty when it is finished spinning.

DLee

Hi dlee, biggrin.gif

The four axle adaptors you mention do what? Just make it longer? Got pics? drooley.gif
I'm curious because I do have resources for milling fabrication. If it just a matter of knowing what they adapt.

I recently called * Hybrids and they said they don't sell the adaptors anymore due to hub centricity with other solutions.
Just complete axles using van axles. No spacers.

....................Roger, buy four axle adapters from RH at $70 each (still steep) and then go to your local Autozone and buy two rebuilt 1970ish VW Bus axles for $89 each. They are the same size CVs at 915s ......................

dlee1967
I am sorry to hear that Scott at RH has decided not to sell just the adapters. They do two things: 1) adapt the four bolt and two pin 914-4 flanges with the 6 bolt no pin 915 style (VW bus) cv joint. 2) extend the axle.

If Scott doesn't want to sell these adapters individually anymore, he is running the risk of someone knocking them off. If I can't buy them from him for my next car, I will take one of mine off and have copies made. If you have a facility to make them, maybe we can work something out. I would have to take one of my cars out of service to pull one for measurement. That doesn't sound very appealing to me, but might be an option.

I like Clay's solution, but the '69 911 stubs are getting harder to find and by the time you have collected all of the parts you might be at $500. He does have more Porsche wrecking yards in Dallas than I do in Houston.

David Lee
ClayPerrine
It's not the 69 911 stub axles. It's the 69 911 hubs. And I have recently discovered that you can use the 944 hubs too.
dlee1967
Sorry Clay, Hubs...........If 944 fit, then we have a GREAT solution. Even in Houston we have a ton of these in the Pic-A-Parts. DLee
Katmanken
OK,

You asked for it......

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Ken happy11.gif
Dr Evil
I found a guy on ebay not too long ago who makes any adapter you want for low$$$. No one seemed interested, so I let it go. I could see if I could find him again if anyone is interested. Then you could just do the bus axle to 914 stock.
bondo
Here's a pic of renegade adapters. They come bare steel which turns to rust. (I got these used) I sandblasted them and put on a coat of black por-15. There's no need to copy a set of these, you'd be better off taking the measurements off the parts these bolt to. Otherwise errors will add up, and these aren't THAT precise (I have 4 and they are visibly not identical)

I have no instructions for these, but since they have a hole in the middle I assume I'll need CV gaskets on both sides of each adapter to keep the grease in. Anyone know for sure?

Dr. Roger
Hey Royce,

Would you be interested in selling a set of those 911 axle adaptors? biggrin.gif

Muchas gracias',
Roger
Type 4 Unleashed
icon_bump.gif
914MF
Clay, what year of 944 Turbo has the aluminum trailing arms? huh.gif boldblue.gif
JWest
QUOTE (914MF @ May 31 2005, 01:58 PM)
Clay, what year of 944 Turbo has the aluminum trailing arms? huh.gif  :boing:

All 944 tubos have aluminum trailing arms. In fact, ALL 944s after '85.5 have aluminum trailing arms (the turbo came out in '86).

There was a change to 944 CVs between '87 and '88 - I'm not sure what the change was...
Aaron Cox
one would think that you would need a gasket on the inside too idea.gif
andys
QUOTE (James Adams @ May 31 2005, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE (914MF @ May 31 2005, 01:58 PM)
Clay, what year of 944 Turbo has the aluminum trailing arms? huh.gif  :boing:

All 944 tubos have aluminum trailing arms. In fact, ALL 944s after '85.5 have aluminum trailing arms (the turbo came out in '86).

There was a change to 944 CVs between '87 and '88 - I'm not sure what the change was...

What is the diameter of the 944T CV's? Are they perhaps the same as the Carrera and 930 CV's at 108mm?

As for the 944 wheels hubs, are they also the same spline as the Carrera/930 stub axles?

Thanks,
Andy
blabla914
Clay, thanks for the details on this swap. It looks very promising. Naturally I have a couple of questions for you.

What is it about '69 911 hubs? Do '69 hubs have a one year only spline or something?

Directly related to the first question. How can you tell if a 911 hub is a '69?

Since we've established that all 944 turbos and all 944's after 85.5 had aluminum rear trailing arms can it be said that this swap is only worthwhile if you get turbo parts? Could NA 944 parts be used? How much better than 914-4 CV's would NA 944 parts be if they will fit?

Could we get some pictures before your parts get all dolled up?

Could we get the contact info for this fellow in TX that has done a bunch of these swaps so we can learn more.

Thanks for your help.

Kelly
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (blabla914 @ May 31 2005, 05:08 PM)
Clay, thanks for the details on this swap. It looks very promising. Naturally I have a couple of questions for you.

What is it about '69 911 hubs? Do '69 hubs have a one year only spline or something?

Directly related to the first question. How can you tell if a 911 hub is a '69?

Since we've established that all 944 turbos and all 944's after 85.5 had aluminum rear trailing arms can it be said that this swap is only worthwhile if you get turbo parts? Could NA 944 parts be used? How much better than 914-4 CV's would NA 944 parts be if they will fit?

Could we get some pictures before your parts get all dolled up?

Could we get the contact info for this fellow in TX that has done a bunch of these swaps so we can learn more.

Thanks for your help.

Kelly

1969 was the first year that Porsche used a double roller bearing on the rear of the 911.( PN 901 331 065 09). That same part number was used through 1973. The reason for using that year hub is it is the exact same part that is used on the 914 /6. We know it will fit the stock bearing. The current part number for the rear bearing on a 914 is 999 053 035 00. That same part number crosses to a 85 through 91 944.

The 944 parts BEFORE 1985 will not work. They use 2 ball bearings on the rear. They also have steel trailing arms. After 1985, the bearing is identical to the 914. The stub axle (Pn 951 331 235 01) comes from a 85-87 944. The splines and length on it are identical to the 69-73 911. The CV joint flange is 100MM in diameter and uses a 6 bolt connection. The CV joint is also about a third thicker than a 914 CV joint, and it has bigger balls ( Insert Beevis laugh here).

The CV Joint kit is PN 951 332 901 00. The joint is internally splined the same as a 914/4 axle. So if you want, you can use just the outer joints from a 944 and the inners from a 914/4. Then you get a cheap, bolt together 5 lug conversion.

To continue inboard, the inner CV joint is identical to the outer joint. On the transmission, you change the drive flanges out for the ones from a 74 -77 911 with a 915 transmission (PN 915 332 209 01). This is from a coarse splined differental 915. If the stub axle has fine splines, it won't work. It is a 6 bolt, 100MM drive flange that will bolt into the 914 transmission.

First Picture. 915 drive flange installed in a 914 side shifter transmission. Sorry, I don't have a picture out of the transmission. It's full of gear oil. I love you guys but, I am NOT draining my transmission just for a picture.

ClayPerrine
Second picture. Complete 944 axle with CV joints and stub axle. The 944 axle is the exact same length as a 914 axle, so you don't even have to change anything. And you can buy a rebuilt axle assembly from your favorite parts supplier and save a bunch of work!!

ClayPerrine
Third picture. Close up of the 944 cv joint and stub axle.
ClayPerrine
Fourth Pict. 914/6 drive flange. This is the same as a 69-73 911 drive flange.

ClayPerrine
Back side of the drive flange.

ClayPerrine
Here is the 944 axle with the 914/6 hub installed on it. If you get this stuff, make sure that you get the washer and the nut. I didn't and 2 washers and 2 nuts cost me almost 100.00!!!!

ClayPerrine
One last note. The outboard CV joint does NOT use a paper gasket. The stub axle has a raised flange to retain the grease.

The inboard joint DOES use a paper gasket. Get the one for a 76 911 (PN 901 332 297 00).

When I finally get ready to install the whole assembly in my car, I will be taking pictures.

Hope that helps.

redshift
dry.gif

Karl would never make us look at dirty parts.

Oh, and the 915 drive flange, you just bolt them on, as simple as that looks?

M
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (redshift @ May 31 2005, 09:24 PM)
dry.gif

Karl would never make us look at dirty parts.

M

If you don't like looking at dirty parts, then I have a parts washer that you can man for a day. Otherwise....

finger.gif

I have not needed the axles yet, so I have not taken them apart for cleaning.

ClayPerrine
My toolwench just saw this and apologized for neglecting her parts washing duties. wavey.gif

Dr. Roger
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ May 31 2005, 07:00 PM)
Second picture. Complete 944 axle with CV joints and stub axle. The 944 axle is the exact same length as a 914 axle, so you don't even have to change anything. And you can buy a rebuilt axle assembly from your favorite parts supplier and save a bunch of work!!

Please don't tell me that I'm the only one that wants to hug Clay.....

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That info. is exactly what I was looking for. smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif

Thanks again.......

Roger
914MF
mueba.gif rocking nana.gif boldblue.gif clap.gif agree.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Jun 1 2005, 12:17 AM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ May 31 2005, 07:00 PM)
Second picture.  Complete 944 axle with CV joints and stub axle.  The 944 axle is the exact same length as a 914 axle, so you don't even have to change anything. And you can buy a rebuilt axle assembly from your favorite parts supplier and save a bunch of work!!

Please don't tell me that I'm the only one that wants to hug Clay.....

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That info. is exactly what I was looking for. smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif

Thanks again.......

Roger

If you REALLY want to hug me you are going to have to get someone like Jenny, Mrs K or Toast to stand in for you!!! biggrin.gif

Anyone in the DFW area who wants to do this conversion. I would be glad to let you bring the car to my house and we can do the rear 5 lug conversion there. That way we can take pictures for the board of the whole process, start to finish, complete with parts comparison.

736conver
Clay,

Whats your cost into these. I looked into just the axles and see that costing $350. Rear early 911/901 hubs will be around $100 if not more.
And I have no idea what the inner trans flanges would cost

Have you found it cheaper or is this just about right
ClayPerrine
I found the 944 axles on the Bird board. I think I gave 100.00 for the pair with the stub axles. The hubs I got when I bought the whole load of stuff from a guy who built a 914/6 up for racing. Got the rear calipers and rotors with them, plus one original 914/6 stub axle and cv axle (but no /6 cv joints). Sold the /6 rear calipers and rotors to Lawrence.

I got the drive flanges from Zim's here in Bedford Texas. I don't remember what I paid for them, but it wasn't much.

The biggest cost was the axle nuts and washers.

My suggestion, hit the wrecking yards. Find a 944 with all the parts, including the outer hub. The 944 and the 914 use the same rear bearing, so the hub from the 944 will work. At that point, all you have to do is find the drive flange, or switch the inner joint for a 914 /4 joint.

914MF
Are these 944 Turbo parts or regular 944 parts?
ClayPerrine
I actually used 944 turbo parts. But I checked the PET cd, and the parts are no different than the standard 944 parts.

Make sure that the 944 is 86 or newer and you should get the correct parts. The part number for the stub axle is cast into the outboard side of the axle flange. You have to pull the stub axle to verify the part number.

Good luck!!!
914MF
Thank you!! boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
andys
So, are the splines on the 944 stub axles the same as the later ('87-'89) 911/Carrera stub axles?

We know the early and late bearings have the same ID. The late bearing is 5mm longer. You can use the late hub on an early bearing by adding a 5mm spacer. So, back to the question above, if I use the late hub, will the spline on the 944 stub axle fit my hub?

Thanks,

Andy
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (andys @ Jun 1 2005, 09:44 AM)
So, are the splines on the 944 stub axles the same as the later ('87-'89) 911/Carrera stub axles?

We know the early and late bearings have the same ID. The late bearing is 5mm longer. You can use the late hub on an early bearing by adding a 5mm spacer. So, back to the question above, if I use the late hub, will the spline on the 944 stub axle fit my hub?

Thanks,

Andy

I don't know if the late 911 hubs will fit the 944 stub axles. I don't know if they are splined the same. I know for a fact that the 944 stub axles will fit the 69-73 911 hubs.

It's not the bearing that is the problem. It's the splines on the stub axle. If the later (87-89) 911 hubs can be installed on a 69 to 73 911 using the 69-73 911 stub axles, then yes, the 944 stub axle will fit too. But I don't know if there are any spacing issues with this setup.

andys
One brand new 951 axle for $189, you know where.....Item #7977206370

Andy
Dr Evil
Try here
www.autopartsgiant.com

for an 87 turbo shaft its like $69
redshift
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ May 31 2005, 11:30 PM)
My toolwench just saw this and apologized for neglecting her parts washing duties.  :wavey:

smile.gif

It's ok, we see what she has to put up with... Teener Man..

Okee dokee man... this is something so inexpensive, why not do it, even with a punky 2.0?

M
Andyrew
I need a full set as well...

So this is a bump!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.