Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aero enhancements...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mgp4591
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 24 2016, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Jan 24 2016, 11:35 AM) *
You do realize your “Smooth as a teardrop” example is a perfect wing cross section.

But very little drag. The teardrop shape (with a particular length-to-width ratio!) produces the lowest drag.

So the question is, what are you aiming for? Maximum downforce? Minimum drag? Some compromise between the two?

BTW, the stock-type engines really do need the forward air-flow along the rear deck; that is how cooling air get to the engine!

--DD

I understand Dave, but I'm running a Subaru setup. I'd like to run a Porsche 6 cyl. but the dollar sign is way too high for my budget. It's cool if you can do it - it doesn't make dollars/sense to me but I admire those who make it work. Very cool!
And speaking of cool and aero, presently I have the radiator designed to flow out the bottom of the car but rethinking a cleaner topside exit to, again, clean up the airflow as to minimize drag. Directing the air to negate lift is the object of this exercise- if we achieve that, we don't need much downforce to keep the car planted. I'm not trying to have the tires bite so hard that they'll out corner a gazelle, just keep the car cruising smoothly with as little upset from angry air as possible. And no Veeks, I'm not gonna design a teardrop no matter what the cD says! shades.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 24 2016, 02:11 PM) *

I wonder, has anyone ever taken a 914 to the salt flats for speed week?
What did they do for aerodynamics?

Very radical car, that's for sure.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=247827
veekry9
Hey,with a derelict 914 chassis anything is possible.
I've seen stretch limos,pickups,station wagons,chopped racers and any number of neato contraptions.

Click to view attachment

This one blows my kilt up,for a refreshing breeze.
A Sean S,from Coos Bay,on board,gone quiet.

Click to view attachment

I really like what the skin guy did,tho as always,there are some details I would have done differently.
Overall,an outstanding effort and result.
Note how the doorskins have been reshaped to the new width,to make a smooth transition to the rear fenders.This is CanAm big,and could have a use for the wing thingy handlebar.The wing itself seems to have a measure of curvature on the bottom and might be totally functional.
The color selections were done with a measure of subtlety,not the usual blazing high contrast of bright primaries.
Looks like he's done a slight top chop and a vinyl topping in a medium tan to complement the interior.
I'd like to see more pix of this one.

rolleyes.gif
veekry9
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 24 2016, 09:00 PM) *

beer.gif

Appears to have been riveted on to the trunk's topskin.
I like it,not only because I too went down that path,the 944's snowshovel spoiler,but because it would in fact be quite effective.
The nose job however,looks like too much anteater and not enough pointy wedge.Might be cleaner than I think.
Scale models in a concrete form tube,with a leaf blower or two,a test section with the sensing by modern piezoelectrics.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=miniature+wi...VZICOMQ_AUIBigB

Build your own,make a test run of your latest winged Mulsanne Masher and smile at the results.
We are not dealing with some unknown effects,this is all straightforward.The shape is the nexus.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome...namic%20lessons

/
mgp4591
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Jan 24 2016, 07:56 PM) *

Hey,with a derelict 914 chassis anything is possible.
I've seen stretch limos,pickups,station wagons,chopped racers and any number of neato contraptions.

This one blows my kilt up,for a refreshing breeze.
A Sean S,from Coos Bay,on board,gone quiet.

I really like what the skin guy did,tho as always,there are some details I would have done differently.
Overall,an outstanding effort and result.
Note how the doorskins have been reshaped to the new width,to make a smooth transition to the rear fenders.This is CanAm big,and could have a use for the wing thingy handlebar.The wing itself seems to have a measure of curvature on the bottom and might be totally functional.
The color selections were done with a measure of subtlety,not the usual blazing high contrast of bright primaries.
Looks like he's done a slight top chop and a vinyl topping in a medium tan to complement the interior.
I'd like to see more pix of this one.

rolleyes.gif

Blown up way too big! I'd like the end result to look like a 914, not some cut up mid 80s Corvette. Not to be insulting, it just ain't my cup o' tea. I think my solution is small changes that make a positive difference to what has already been proved to be a fairly efficient design, kind of like intake/exhaust/c.chamber modifications- small improvements can go a long way unless you're out to breathe heavy at 9 grand. Same with these cars. Even the studied results favored small changes and resulted in positive gains for a well balance approach to my goals.
RickS
What a fantastic project. It's 914 meets GT40, meets, Carrera GT, meets F40. Would love to see a butt shot.

I wouldn't own it but I admire anyone with the vision and talent to make it a reality.

What bums me about the professor's findings is that a front splitter and/or rear spoiler actually add drag.
veekry9
This is the link to the past:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...19030&st=80

The looks are deceiving,it is no wider than the average IMSA,hauling large rubber.
The proportion of the targa height to width of the new doorskins is what changes the perspective from what you usually expect with unmodified doors.Omg,omg he made the doors ..thicker!
More info on the car other than what I can see here would be nice,like how much does it weigh?
Chris914n6
Aerodynamics for the water pumper is going to be different than for a stock air-cooled. Aircooled has top and bottom airflow with air being mechanically moved from above to below. The open engine bay of a water pumper makes for a really odd shape, plus the rad outlets.

My first rear float fix attempt is a solid engine lid.

That body kit was called the F-Zero.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 25 2016, 12:15 AM) *

Aerodynamics for the water pumper is going to be different than for a stock air-cooled. Aircooled has top and bottom airflow with air being mechanically moved from above to below. The open engine bay of a water pumper makes for a really odd shape, plus the rad outlets.

My first rear float fix attempt is a solid engine lid.

That body kit was called the F-Zero.

Not sure what you mean by solid engine bay Chris. And I'm planning on flush panels around and under the engine and trans so that air doesn't get trapped in that compartment. Then transistion to a simple diffuser to direct the airflow from underneath. Currently, my radiator setup is planned for large louvers in the area where the A/C outlet would be - 4 large louvers will be at least 2X the inlet for the radiator and should cool fine, leaving me some frunk space. That will have hot air exiting out the bottom which isn't ideal for eliminating lift but I'm wondering if it's really enough to be concerned with. My other idea is to duct it up similar to others but have it exit close to the base of the windshield where there's already enough airflow to suck it out through an opening. More efficiency and some airflow resulting in downforce with minimal drag.
Dave_Darling
The base of the windshield is a high-pressure area on almost all cars. That's why there are air inlets there.

If you're going to go out the top, you'll want to section the trunk lid like several people on there have. Now I'm completely spacing on the name and BBS ID of the guy who used to live here, went to NC or thereabouts, and has a nice 3.6 in his car. (Blue car, possibly Alaska Blue.) He has the cooler air ducted out of a hole in the front lid.

I believe Sir Andy does as well.

That should be good for lift reduction or even downforce in the front. The rear is a different matter. Smoothing out the underbody with a tray should help air flow smoothly, and may cut lift and/or induce downforce as well.

Most things you can do to change the flow of air over the car will result in more drag.

--DD
mgp4591
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 25 2016, 02:51 PM) *

The base of the windshield is a high-pressure area on almost all cars. That's why there are air inlets there.

If you're going to go out the top, you'll want to section the trunk lid like several people on there have. Now I'm completely spacing on the name and BBS ID of the guy who used to live here, went to NC or thereabouts, and has a nice 3.6 in his car. (Blue car, possibly Alaska Blue.) He has the cooler air ducted out of a hole in the front lid.

I believe Sir Andy does as well.

That should be good for lift reduction or even downforce in the front. The rear is a different matter. Smoothing out the underbody with a tray should help air flow smoothly, and may cut lift and/or induce downforce as well.

Most things you can do to change the flow of air over the car will result in more drag.

--DD

Duh.... I'm old enough to remember cowl induction on Chevelles and Camaros- I should have known that, Thanks Dave! There's more than one example of the hood modifications to expel the radiator air in past threads and according to the air pressure build up you pointed out, probably the closer to the front of midway the better the low pressure area would be. However if I don't want to cut holes in the hood (it's just so damn pretty!) a good low pressure area would be under the car as I previously described. Along with an air dam, the low pressure would increase acting more like a vacuum for the hot air venting. Now the question is, how much air is being expelled through those louvers? Would it be enough to negate ALL of the effects of the air dam...?
SirAndy
Dumping extra air (and hot air at that) under the car is about the worst you can do if you want high speed stability.

Going from a under the car hot air exit to a shrouded through the hood air exit has dramatically improved the high speed stability of the car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1898832

It also improved the actual cooling to the point where my engine now runs too cool in most street driving conditions.
shades.gif

mgp4591
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 25 2016, 05:21 PM) *

Dumping extra air (and hot air at that) under the car is about the worst you can do if you want high speed stability.

Going from a under the car hot air exit to a shrouded through the hood air exit has dramatically improved the high speed stability of the car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1898832

It also improved the actual cooling to the point where my engine now runs too cool in most street driving conditions.
shades.gif

And you're just running an oil cooler I believe, right? So with even more air being pumped through the radiator that would increase the instability. I also see a few exiting through the front wheelwells which if vented correctly should be efficient and not detract from the smooth looks of the hood... Anyone want to comment on their wheelwell vented coolant temps? And I hear what you're saying about improving your stability at higher speeds... maybe I should just design a really sexy looking hood vent. drooley.gif
Andyrew
Properly shrouded, venting through the fenders should be almost as effective as venting through the hood. However you wont get the spoiler effect that the hood exit gives you.

I also do not advocate forcing more air under the car. Just a bad thing altogether.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 25 2016, 07:01 PM) *

Properly shrouded, venting through the fenders should be almost as effective as venting through the hood. However you wont get the spoiler effect that the hood exit gives you.

I also do not advocate forcing more air under the car. Just a bad thing altogether.

I agree but it works pretty well for Ross! I agree that properly ducted the fenderwells will work well and if I had vents in the upper parts of the flares I may still get some downforce- maybe not as much as a hood vent though.
Chris Pincetich
You don't really need 2 side mirrors, just one on the driver's side shades.gif
I'd focus on a super clean underbody panel and consider extending the rear diffuser out beyond the rear valence so it is just short of the rear bumper impact zone...maybe add rear tits too?

Have fun and be sure to get us some data and photos! Tough to get the "perfect" MPG measure, but trying to both before and after a suite of mods could actually reveal a difference.

My strategy so far with the cafe racer/commuter 914 I have is light weight all-around, LE spoiler, windows up, top on, and one side-view mirror beerchug.gif
veekry9
ThyssenKrupp

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-d...tures-1564.html

What compromises should be made to be smoother in the air with your 914?

Click to view attachment

Well,not much attention was being exerted to make the 914 smooth through the air in '67.
A high powered aircooled engine needs a lot of air,so give it enough to cool it and no more.
A steeply raked windscreen is laid back to reduce the incident angle,like your hand out the window.
The height of the car is reduced to make a smaller hole,bigger is slower.
A more pointy nose,like a diver in the water,palms together,faster.
A big wake makes a big drag,so stop making a wake.
Wide tires look and act like a steamroller,slow,so make the tire look different to the air,pointy.

/
Dave_Darling
The nose is less important than the wake. Far less. Blunt noses and pointy noses give the same results at any speeds that we care about. Unless you're getting high subsonic, or transsonic, which I don't think is happening in a 914... wink.gif

--DD
mgp4591
We're keeping it subsonic...
Any positive or negative ideas about a front splitter? I read Andyrew is planning for a larger one than I want, but then again I'll have to see it and get feedback from him about its functionality. I'm getting the idea that small improvement will work the best which really keeps the look of the car relatively stock compared to the race cars we see. The racers need the downforce for those high speed sweepers where I just want it to move around the car as smooth as possible. I also want air to move through the car to help anchor it as well as I can. Think the Ferraris that don't have the big aero wingdings clogging up the good looks- just making it work with the design.
Chris914n6
If this is too racy for you, click the linky About air dams, splitters, air curtains and diffusers idea.gif

IPB Image
veekry9
Click to view attachment

Aerodynamics 101
https://www.google.ca/search?q=aerodynamics...N4s2WGEqWZIM%3A

As we ski down a hill,like the speed skier above,we can `feel` the wind and the drag as we pass through the air.
Assuming the crouch,into the `tuck`,we can go faster by presenting a pointy shape to the air volume,wedging our way through it.
As a test,drive your 914 up the 101 with your hand out the window at 40 mph,it should be easy enough to hold it in place with your left thumb up and palm open.
You can experiment with the difference in drag when you splay your fingers or cup your palm.
The second part of the test involves a sheet of material,plywood will do fine,12"square.
Strap that plate to your hand and do the speed which exerts the same force on your arm,noting the speedometer,careful,you won`t be able to do 40.
This is called`flat plate area`,next build an apparatus to hold a 5 square foot flat plate into the wind above your 914.
Before you mount this test rig,drive out to the hwy and map out the test track,a measured distance of say,10 miles.
Take a few passes up and down the highway,an average 40mph will do fine,noting fuel consumption by a test tube arrangement,with markings in cc`s,to set a baseline number.
Maintain a constant steady state,within reason,to derive actual fuel consumption over the 20 mile test track.
Mount the test apparatus and repeat the test,duplicating the test parameters,measure the actual fuel consumption and compare the difference to the baseline.
5 square feet of flat plate area will reduce the fuel efficiency by :-->your results.
This is to prove to yourself the facts of aero,already a known quantity through such experimentation,done 80 yrs ago.
Now,I don't expect you would actually go out and do such an experiment,because it would be too hard to do and take too much money and time.
Perhaps a google,or looking at fast Porsches,you could come up with a round estimate of the work done to be smooth in the air,or water.
A look around at the average lakes speedster,a good amount of effort is made to be clean,to reduce drag,that work can't be discounted.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=studebaker+l...HB8b0GeFa_sM%3A
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 31 2016, 12:43 PM) *

beer3.gif

That's the most radical 914 I've ever seen! w00t.gif
Most of the ideas I've had come from successful designs I've seen on race cars. They have different needs for their purpose but there's a lot to be learned from their designs without the race car look. From the comments it seems that the rear of the car needs the most attention and very little done to the front - an air dam and a small splitter will probably do the trick.
I'll read up more and see what works... idea.gif
sixnotfour
1967 alfa romeo tipo 33 stradale
Andyrew
IPB Image

IPB Image

My thoughts for a rear diffuser.
veekry9
Click to view attachment

The 956/962 was,is a proven design by the wind guys,in a wind tunnel and on the track.
Huge difference,between what they built and an ineffective adornment,like pretend spoilers and wings,useless.
The 944 above is the only example that I've seen that would be a performer,with the turbo six power to use it.
Going fast enough to accelerate the airflow under the 956 is the objective,setting the Nurburgring lap record was the result.
(956 6:37 Derek Bell)
The venturi has to start far ahead,under the cockpit,bringing slightly pressurized air from under the front ducts,then exiting to the low pressure turbulence behind the car,unobstructed by suspension hardware.
The competitive field is huge,a great deal of effort is being exerted to win.

Buy this book for the latest techniques by a successful competitor.
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsnov15.html

How much of that can be applied to a 914's unique top hat is up for debate.
First,move the transmission to the center of the car,getting it out of the path of the airflow!
Second,replace the flat engine with a V type,opening up a duct on either side of the engine.
And on and on,compromises disregarded.

Click to view attachment
veekry9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_QazJD9nyI

A new production,some ideas of aero application.
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.