Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It went up in flames ... Twice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
ChrisFoley
It was loud in the video, and got even louder when the engine backfired.
Click to view attachment
We installed a better used muffler and it sounds much nicer.
ChrisFoley
Vincent,
I'm starting to put together a scenario which would have created the Fire hazard this spring.
If your video was taken last year - That shows the engine ran OK at least.

The only way I can imagine the accelerator pump cover would have become warped so badly is if water was in the carburetor over winter. Freezing would cause enough force to bend the cover.

We found water in the other carburetor and quite a bit in the crankcase. At the time was attributed to the fire department, but maybe it's further evidence that the engine bay wasn't sealed against rain during storage.

I think the engine is running well enough to test drive the car now and see what jet adjustments are needed.
ChrisFoley
I won't drive it far until we put some better tires on the car.

Click to view attachment
vnault
Thanks for the news and the pictures and your detailed explanation.
2mAn
Vincent is going to have a completely different animal when he gets it back! Nice work Chris!
JRust
Good progress Chris! Sounds like many issues needed addressed besides the fire. Glad he brought it to you to get sorted out. Hope the parts I sent made it & were what were needed. That new set of spark plug wires I thought were for a 2.0. Hoping so or they might be short on reach.

Yikes on the tires blink.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 24 2016, 11:51 AM) *

Good progress Chris! Sounds like many issues needed addressed besides the fire. Glad he brought it to you to get sorted out. Hope the parts I sent made it & were what were needed. That new set of spark plug wires I thought were for a 2.0. Hoping so or they might be short on reach.

Yikes on the tires blink.gif

Jamie,
The wires you sent are on the engine. smile.gif
We only had a set which was barely good enough for test running. They're so old the insulation was breaking off.
The fan will be mounted soon too.

It looks like another alternator needs to be installed. We replaced the bad wires but the charge light stays on.

I think I have a set of good used tires to install next week.
vnault
Thanks to Jody for the transportation and the late night help to make it work.Thanks to those who sent parts and thanks to Chris for the repair.

I will clean it for all the dust from the fire then I will post pictures.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 24 2016, 06:16 AM) *

ohmy.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 9 2016, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 24 2016, 06:16 AM) *

ohmy.gif

I scored a really good set of tires from another customer who wanted new tires a little narrower for his VW offset wheels.
The tire shop that installed the tires didn't replace the valve stems (to save $$), so the next day we had 3 flat tires. wacko.gif
3 Valve stems were replaced before Jody came for the car.
JRust
QUOTE(vnault @ Jul 9 2016, 12:50 PM) *

Thanks to Jody for the transportation and the late night help to make it work.Thanks to those who sent parts and thanks to Chris for the repair.

I will clean it for all the dust from the fire then I will post pictures.

Yes we need pics & video of your car! Glad to have helped a little. Our community is the best. Huge thanks to Chris for getting it all back together. I don't know what deal you gave him & don't need too. I do know you did a lot of work & I am sure didn't charge near enough. We appreciate your efforts as a community Chris. Thanks for getting Jody back on the road.

Hey how'd you like your WCR swag confused24.gif
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif first.gif driving.gif
vnault
Following the link below you will be able to find picture and video before and after the fire.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sr8uj6zo89ip924/...4YqD214SHa?dl=0

Listening to the video... do you think that it idle to fast ... about 1200 rpm ? I don't know if it is volontary or the carbs adjustment got loose during transportation like cable for the distributor got disconnected.

Btw my new tire are really nice compared to what I had, thanks a lot Chris.
ChrisFoley
I don't think the idle sounds too fast.

That rear lid is unrepairable. You need a fresh one.
Do an oil change soon. There had been water in the engine. And you need to find out what the previous owner did to modify the sump plate. We did not remove it.
Another area you need to do work is in the driver footwell. Remove the carpet to see where the floor is rotted away near the new gas pedal, and to see the custom modified pedal cluster. The pedal cluster should be replaced with a reconditioned one like Bruce Stone sells. I think the one in your car is too far gone to bring back to stock, and the modifications are creating a problem with the brake pedal alignment.
ChrisFoley
Taken before we cleaned up the floor around the gas pedal mount.
Surprisingly, the bolts came out without major trouble and we were able to bolt the new pedal down without making any repairs.
There is no hole through to the outside, however the floor does need to be patched.
Click to view attachment
vnault
@Racer Chris

Things for me to do.
- Oil change
- Floor work around the pedal
- Change the rear deck

In the years to come
- patch the Hell Holes

Does it worth it to go with electronic ignition ? How often should I spray carburator cleaner ?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.