Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It went up in flames ... Twice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
stugray
I could donate a relay board and maybe a dizzy if necessary.
I also have a whole harness in a box with two relay boards.

Interesting how it looks like the voltage regulator melted into a puddle.
JRust
Ditto on sending it to the right person! You'll come out in the end a happy man. Takes a bit to get past it but your on the right track.
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 25 2016, 10:30 PM) *

You are in very good hands

agree.gif 100 percent the right person to get the car back on the road.
ChrisFoley
It's here.
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(stugray @ May 25 2016, 11:23 PM) *

I'll gladly install any donated items.
stugray
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 26 2016, 08:19 AM) *

Post a list of needed parts once you get a good look.

And I assume one of the first things is to verify that the PO did not leave the stock Fuel Pump in for a carb install?
r_towle
QUOTE(stugray @ May 26 2016, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 26 2016, 08:19 AM) *

Post a list of needed parts once you get a good look.

And I assume one of the first things is to verify that the PO did not leave the stock Fuel Pump in for a carb install?

Engine
Fuel injection
Fuel tank
Wiring harness

Hmmm....should cover it.
2mAn
I was sad when I started to read this, but Im loving how its turning out
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 26 2016, 11:50 AM) *

Fuel injection

Hmmm....should cover it.

Carbs, Rich. Do you have a pair to donate?
r_towle
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 26 2016, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 26 2016, 11:50 AM) *

Fuel injection

Hmmm....should cover it.

Carbs, Rich. Do you have a pair to donate?

I do have a pair.....not for donating though, but will sell them.
vnault
Thanks for your support guys.

If you have parts that you want to send to Chris, I will be happy to cover shipping fees.
HansJan
Wow. Just read this for first time now.
This is awfull. I know how awfull it is, because mine burned last month.
The silver lining for me has been that it has been the opportunity to go through the entire car.

People on this site are incredibly helpfull. This afternoon I installed the stainless steel fuel lines (from Chris). Please do the same.

Im doing (learning) all the work myself, and spend approx $2K in parts. However not yet repainted. Can't imagine how much labor would be. But you are in good hand with Chris.

Good luck.
Hans Jan
vnault
QUOTE(Hans Jan @ May 26 2016, 04:42 PM) *

Hans Jan

Your car burnt more then mine! It is great that you are able to save it.

I would have like to be able to do and learn and do the work by myself but I am a small business owner with 3 kids and trying to finish my PhD headbang.gif .

Free time is scarce...

This community found that car for me and will now save it.
db9146
I know this might be a little late for some but I just installed the 3m version of BlazeCut under the engine deck lid of my -6. If your haven't seen how it works, check it out on-line. There is a video demo on a VW bus and it works. For $129, its good insurance.

Click to view attachment
Justinp71

We should make a fire prevention annual check list. What are items that should be checked on an annual basis to prevent fires?

-Fuel Lines
-Carb bolts (if equipped)
-Main power feeds from battery are in good shape and not rubbing anywhere on the car
-Fire prevention system intact (fire extinguisher or other)
-???

We could make a template available for printing and people can give there cars a once over every year.

If you guys PM me with items I will volunteer to make this template (unless it exists somewhere?)

vnault
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 27 2016, 08:45 AM) *

We should make a fire prevention annual check list. What are items that should be checked on an annual basis to prevent fires?

-Fuel Lines
-Main power feeds from battery are in good shape and not rubbing anywhere on the car
-???

We could make a template available for printing and people can give there cars a once over every year.

If you guys PM me with items I will volunteer to make this template (unless it exists somewhere?)

I think a good maintenance on the carbs after the winter would have saved me a lot of trouble and dollars.

I will now carry a fire extinguisher and I will look into that 3M system.

Justinp71
QUOTE(vnault @ May 27 2016, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 27 2016, 08:45 AM) *

-Fuel Lines
-???

I think a good maintenance on the carbs after the winter would have saved me a lot of trouble and dollars.

I will now carry a fire extinguisher and I will look into that 3M system.

I thought you had an electrical fire? Did you ever find the root of your fire?

The only only item on carbs that wears is the fuel line going to them, but it would be good to check all the brass nuts and bolts for tightness and also look it over for leaks when the fuel pump is on occasionally.

patssle
The only only item on carbs that wears is the fuel line going to them

Needle valves. They start getting sticky and all of a sudden your floats no longer stop the gas from coming in. This happened to me...immediately replace all 4 (on my flat-six carbs).
rhodyguy
Examine the carb passageway lead plugs. When one looks further out than the others, it's time to pull the carbs and re-secure them.
vnault
From what I have been explained and reading... a sticky needle valve with a stuck floater would be the cause of my fire.

I hope Chris will be able to give me more informations soon.

stugray
stuck needle valve or float will fill up the cylinders with fuel not necessarily overflow the carb.

If the car was running that is not likely the culprit.

If it was sitting there not running, but with the fuel pump On, then maybe.
vnault
QUOTE(stugray @ May 30 2016, 01:44 PM) *

stuck needle valve or float will fill up the cylinders with fuel not necessarily overflow the carb.

The car was running, I suppose Chris Foley will enlighten us soon.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(vnault @ May 30 2016, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ May 30 2016, 01:44 PM) *

The car was running, I suppose Chris Foley will enlighten us soon.

The air cleaner is still in relatively good shape on top of the carb so there was no fire in the carburetor.
The lead plugs are still in place.
The fuel hose going to the carb is burnt up - just before the carb fitting. Fuel was leaking out of that hose when the flatbed was tilted to remove the car.

So it appears that the hose may have been leaking enough to fuel the fire, not sure how it started yet.
The second fire appears to be from burnt (alternator maybe) wires shorting out because the battery wasn't disconnected.
vnault
Thanks for the update Chris!
Justinp71

Good to know, fuel lines definitely have a lifespan. I am thinking of trying to remove some of my rubber lines in the engine bay and replace with as much hardline as possible. I think when I used to drag race they didn't allow more than 12" of rubber fuel line.
JoeD
QUOTE(db9146 @ May 26 2016, 10:29 PM) *

I know this might be a little late for some but I just installed the 3m version of BlazeCut under the engine deck lid of my -6. If your haven't seen how it works, check it out on-line. There is a video demo on a VW bus and it works. For $129, its good insurance.

Click to view attachment

Curious- what length did you use? 6'? 9'? This seems like a relatively cheap and easy step worth taking...
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(vnault @ Jun 1 2016, 01:12 AM) *

Thanks for the update Chris!

The engine is out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
euro911
Chris,

Post a list of parts still needed when you get to that point. I may still have some parts I can look for - and donate (when I get back to AZ in July).
larryM

smash.gif important for anyone reading this who has a 914 that still has the oem plastic lines:

as a few others have suggested -

get rid of the old oem plastic lines - it is a fire waiting to happen

i've been up close to one of these - (not mine)

no hand held fire extinguisher nor engine comp't extinguisher will be capable of putting out a fire at the fuel lines under the car if they crack/break & catch

- the fuel will just run out from the tank in a big stream and keep on burning until the tank runs dry

of course, an agile youth among us with fireproof hands might just be able lie on one's back and "strangle the leak" before he catches fire himself, eh?

ChrisFoley
This pic shows most of the parts we need for Vincent's car.

Click to view attachment

Relay board & cover
Engine wiring harness
Spark plug wires
Motor mounts
Air cleaner
Warm air blower
Roof latch cup
Rubber seals

Needed but not shown:
Rain tray
Trunk rollers
Rear deck lid - yellow, local preferred
Harpo
I have a pair of motor mounts, latch cups & trunk rollers I will send you Chris.

Update: I can't find the motor mounts or the latch cups. I found the trunk rollers but one of them is in 2 pieces. Sorry

David
euro911
I have a spare air filter element and a set of new sparkie plug wires (for a 1.7/1.8L)

LMK ...
JRust
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 11 2016, 08:45 AM) *

Relay board & cover
Engine wiring harness
Spark plug wires
Motor mounts
Air cleaner
Warm air blower
Roof latch cup
Rubber seals

Needed but not shown:
Rain tray
Trunk rollers
Rear deck lid - yellow, local preferred

I've got the relay board w/cover, Spark Plug wires & Warm air blower. I may have the engine wiring harness? I'll look to see. I know I have one with a FI brain but not sure about another confused24.gif . I'll put them in a box along with a WCR swag for you Chris biggrin.gif
vnault
You guys are the greatest ! I hope I will have the opportunity to give back to the community.

I was just passing by to tell you that I was starting to watch video of 914 just to listen to the engine and remember the great feeling I had driving it.

r_towle
Chris, what are you missing?
I have wiring harnesses and small stuff, no decent deck lid or tray and
GregAmy
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 11 2016, 11:45 AM) *

Chris, I may have the relay board and wiring harness, will need to dig through the attic. Remember, a disassembled '74 2L car came with the red street car project, and there's a plastic tub with a lot of wiring in it...I also have a plastic tub of various seals removed from that car as well.

Did you already use the rain tray I brought over a couple weeks ago?

I'm at Pocono for Track Night in America tomorrow, and Weds is tied up as well. Maybe I can bring over the plastic tubs Thursday?

Vincent, I am a very big fan of varying types of IPAs and Double IPAs...just laying that non-sequitor out there... wink.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 13 2016, 08:51 AM) *

Chris, I may have the relay board and wiring harness, will need to dig through the attic. Remember, a disassembled '74 2L car came with the red street car project, and there's a plastic tub with a lot of wiring in it...I also have a plastic tub of various seals removed from that car as well.

I'm at Pocono for Track Night in America tomorrow, and Weds is tied up as well. Maybe I can bring over the plastic tubs Thursday?

Vincent, I am a very big fan of varying types of IPAs and Double IPAs...just laying that non-sequitor out there... wink.gif

I forgot about that rain tray. It is perfect.
I'm hoping to have any donated parts arrive this week so we can be ready to install the engine first thing next week.
vnault
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 13 2016, 04:51 AM) *

I will have to find a way to ship beer internationally. Send me your address!
JRust
Sorry I was slow. I'll get the relay board w/cover, spark plug wires & the warm air blower out tomorrow. For Chris I also have your WCR shirt, license plate & Key chain biggrin.gif
JRust
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 14 2016, 09:32 PM) *

Sorry I was slow. I'll get the relay board w/cover, spark plug wires & the warm air blower out tomorrow. For Chris I also have your WCR shirt, license plate & Key chain biggrin.gif

I sent these today UPS ground! So not going to be there this week. Sorry Chris sad.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 15 2016, 10:50 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 14 2016, 09:32 PM) *

I sent these today UPS ground! So not going to be there this week. Sorry Chris sad.gif

The blower can be installed after the engine is in.
We can come up with a relay board.
The cover can go on later.
Still short on plug wires though. I haven't seen a good used set around the shop lately.

JRust
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 16 2016, 03:54 AM) *

The blower can be installed after the engine is in.
We can come up with a relay board.
The cover can go on later.
Still short on plug wires though. I haven't seen a good used set around the shop lately.

Sorry didn't want to throw money away doing overnight. The wires I sent are brand new a buddy gave me. Hopefully they will show early next week.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 16 2016, 03:09 PM) *

Sorry didn't want to throw money away doing overnight.

Priority Mail - 2-3 days.

We'll have the engine running tomorrow.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(vnault @ Jun 14 2016, 11:42 PM) *

I will have to find a way to ship beer internationally. Send me your address!

Just bring it when you come to get the car.
Greg lives only a short distance away from here.
beerchug.gif
ChrisFoley
Friday when we tried to start the engine the left side carb was dumping fuel all over the place.
We thought it was a stuck float, but didn't have time to investigate.
This morning we discovered a damaged/warped/bent accelerator pump diaphragm cover. It wasn't noticed during rebuilding, but on closer inspection we believe this was the fuel source for the fire.
There's no way it was warped by heat from the fire.

These old Empi 44 carbs are in rough shape, not to mention the 36mm venturis are too large for this engine.
I can't get one of the idle mixture screws to close down all the way for some reason.
The engine starts and runs at least.
The carbs are reasonably well balanced now for test driving, but I haven't sync'ed the crossbar linkage yet, and the plug wires we installed temporarily have some damaged insulation - I don't want to use them except for the initial tests.

Before we installed the engine we drained the oil - it had a couple quarts of water in it. blink.gif
The shift console cover was removed only to dump several ounces of red fluid (gear oil?) all over the floor.
The shift rod has an unusual custom alteration.
The custom Clutch Trunnion I posted about in another thread.
You should see the customized pedal cluster with a special master cylinder return spring. screwy.gif
2mAn
This is where the term DAPO came from right?
ThePaintedMan
I have an accelerator pump cover Chris, if you need it.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 20 2016, 01:06 PM) *

I have an accelerator pump cover Chris, if you need it.

This one was flattened and reinstalled. thanks though. smile.gif
ChrisFoley
Big hurdle overcome today.
The engine runs and idles. We had to drop in another distributor before it would run, but it may be just a bad condenser (heat damaged).
There's still some work to do on the carbs because they are so poorly configured for this engine, and in overall crappy condition. The one which didn't catch fire had crystallized fuel additives all over inside.

Honestly Vincent, I don't understand how you could have driven this car past the end of your driveway.
vnault
Here's how it sounded
https://www.dropbox.com/s/52av7p7sibr59qw/V...moteur.MOV?dl=0

Never stalled and I went to 85 miles per hour with it the week before.

I am glad to know that there is no better hands then yours to find a solution, thanks for your work Chris.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.