Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any idea how to solve bad door clearence
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914Gelb
After many months I can continue working on my 914-6. Next step I already finished, Rotisserie is ready for use and dirt can be reomoved.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Gelb
Click to view attachment
914Gelb
Started removing rubberClick to view attachment
914Gelb
Here I found a small kink in the metal, 1st I was thinking car had accident in the back. I found no more hints, I don't know why this can happen.Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I am glad to see this project moving along. beerchug.gif
Luke M
Keep up the work and post lots of pics of the repair.
I'll be going down that same road on my 6 at some point.

The damage you asked about (I circled it in red) and if this is the area that you're referring to that's not damage. That's a factory bend in the inner fender .
914Gelb
no this is not the demage I mean see the picture I addedClick to view attachment
bretth
Maybe a previous owner was trying to improve tire to body clearance? I have similar dings on my car which I assume is where the larger tire was rubbing on the body.

Brett
cary
Do you have some door braces ?
914Gelb
Door braces are not installed, bevore I start wellding I will do this .
flyer86d
Looks like a nice car. You know, all of those previous repairs got the car to this point. It probably would not have survived without them. I wonder if kink is caused by the chassis flexing. This is one of the areas that is reinforced on the GT cars. I have seen them crack near that spot.

Charlie
914Gelb
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Jun 22 2017, 05:47 AM) *

Looks like a nice car. You know, all of those previous repairs got the car to this point. It probably would not have survived without them. I wonder if kink is caused by the chassis flexing. This is one of the areas that is reinforced on the GT cars. I have seen them crack near that spot.

Charlie

Hello Charlie,

I know on guy which owns an original 914-6 GT, I have seen the added stiffening metal in the front/back. Also all of this changes are very detailed described in the original documentation which was needed for racing. However the force which is needed to kink the body in this area can only happen when the suspension/ spring can not move any more...
I have no clue if this can happen by using normal suspension setup.
914Gelb
I continued working on my 914-6. The next step was cleaning and removing the flour panel. This is the 1st time I'm doing this and therefore I spend some hours.
I added some pictures to hear what 914 enthusiasts are saying .

Click to view attachment
914Gelb
Click to view attachment
914Gelb
Click to view attachment
914Gelb
Click to view attachment
914Gelb
Click to view attachment
914Gelb
cheer.gif
It looks like the body of my car is now ready for the paint job. After spending ancountable hours of body work I'm proud to show you how is solved all the body work issues.
The decision to rent the car bench from the germany 914-6 club was one of the best decisions I made. I learned a lot about body work and bought many tools to work like a car shop however it wasn't a simple job. After all my experiences I thing a 914 body is hard to repair!

But now I'm glad to present the result.Click to view attachment
914Gelb
Click to view attachment
914Gelb
Click to view attachment
mepstein
smilie_pokal.gif
914Gelb
Click to view attachment
914Gelb
Click to view attachment
914Gelb
Click to view attachment
914Gelb
Click to view attachment
914Gelb
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
WOW!
914Gelb
Click to view attachment
914Gelb
Click to view attachment
mlindner
Wow, that is a great job. will be fun to see it all come together. Mark
914Gelb
All the pain job you see I made by my own, covers epoxy primer(white) and epoxy filler.Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Very nice work indeed; congratulations on getting her ready for paint. Looking forward to seeing that chassis in paint. beerchug.gif
burton73
QUOTE(914Gelb @ Sep 27 2023, 06:14 AM) *

You are doing a super job on your 6 but I would like to make a suggestion, cut the pan and put the cover plates back the way it was from the factory. Your not hiding anything, and it looks like the pans where on the car as it came new. Just a small point. You can reuse your covers or get some used ones or you may find some new ones.

That is what I did on my 6

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment
porschetub
Wow nice work ,it is a real milestone to have in primer but even better to remove all that horrible underseal and not find lots of rust underneath.
Keep up the good work beerchug.gif .
930cabman
Great save, many guys would have bailed, you must be one of the really crazy ones beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.