Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB- 914-6 plastic steering wheel cover at dash correct for 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mikey914
Sent a sample off to McMark to check the fit.
gcrotvik
OMG, those look beautiful Mark. Are you doing the eyebrows also?
Mikey914
Yes and stickers
McMark
I'll bolt it on my NOS column to,or row and post pics. Looks really nice!
altitude411
piratenanner.gif Really nice looking. Standing by for McMark approval... popcorn[1].gif
altitude411
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Mikey914
I've sent a set to McMark. Unfortunately the change created some problems in clearance.
I'll post some pics Monday
Mikey914
So made a very slight "improvement" to the way these join. Didn't do the mayth correctly. Added about .0625 to each side (didn't subtract out) gained enough to make the holes not line up on McMarks stock piece headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Good news is for a kit this would be a very simple modification of the fabricated piece.

Any ideas? I was thinking about making a conversion bracket, but no real 6 would want that.
altitude411
hissyfit.gif sad2.gif
Mark Henry
I'm in...once you get it right biggrin.gif
Mikey914
Here's the deal I've run 300 sets of these. I'll need to modify the tool significantly before I can do anything more.
It may be another 6 weeks before I can do this. Meanwhile I have a bunch of these.
Mark
altitude411
ouch...pinch.gif Maybe call George? hide.gif
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 25 2017, 05:53 PM) *

I'm in...once you get it right biggrin.gif

I agree with Mark Henry. These need to be right to be of value to real 6 owners (or conversion owners).

Greg
Mikey914
No I think they have some value to an aftermarket application. If the plate is being made locating the holes to line up is a matter of where the holes are drilled. Could easily be accommodated. So I can hold these out for that application and offer up a sweet deal as long as they last. I'm looking at welding in the tool to remachine the edges correctly. It's a real pain, but cheaper than starting over. Fortunately we indexed the block so it can easily be reset into the mill. Just a matter of more time and money.

I do take making these very seriously, and will not release crap. I would be very upset if I went to install on my 6 (I wish), and it didn't fit.

Mark
altitude411
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 26 2017, 05:21 PM) *

No I think they have some value to an aftermarket application. If the plate is being made locating the holes to line up is a matter of where the holes are drilled. Could easily be accommodated. So I can hold these out for that application and offer up a sweet deal as long as they last. I'm looking at welding in the tool to remachine the edges correctly. It's a real pain, but cheaper than starting over. Fortunately we indexed the block so it can easily be reset into the mill. Just a matter of more time and money.

I do take making these very seriously, and will not release crap. I would be very upset if I went to install on my 6 (I wish), and it didn't fit.

Mark

Mark, I'm not trying to tell you how to run your business. You might want to consider this move. You have a very good reputation and have not released anything that is not "quality." If you release these clam shells that are not "perfect" they will eventually somewhere/sometime be sold to someone who is not informed that they don't fit OE and that customer will hold 914 Rubber accountable. You don't need a black eye for selling a part that does not fit. Leave that job to URO/AA. Just an opinion you may want to consider? Your honesty thus far is valued and appreciated. Thanks for all that you do for the 914 and (6) owners.
Re-read your post. The answer is there. beerchug.gif
* sorry that you made 300 prototypes?
Mikey914
What I was actually trying to say was that these are a beautiful piece with the exception of the alignment.

If a kit were made to retrofit the 6 column into the 914. it could easily use these as the holes cold be located to clamshells. I thought someone was working on exactly that. These would not be a replacement for the original 6's. But would have to be part of a kit to make them work correctly.

And yes, we ran 300. Planned on a short run anyhow so after we checked the fact they went together beautifully figured we'd just so a short run and see where these went.
Mark Henry
Oh...so not a huge deal for a guy like me who can relocate the holes on a column for a conversion car? That's all?

Mark I know you don't like to do this, but for a canuck could you hang onto a small box with my parts in it for a while?
These would be the first parts in the box if you can. Of course I'd paypal you before they go in the box.
Mikey914
Just let me know when you are ready we can put together whatever you need. I'm sure I will not be running out of these soon. beer3.gif
mb911
I would really be interested in making a kit. Between Mark and I we could probably come up with something.

How much for the parts you made so far?
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 26 2017, 07:15 PM) *

What I was actually trying to say was that these are a beautiful piece with the exception of the alignment.

If a kit were made to retrofit the 6 column into the 914. it could easily use these as the holes cold be located to clamshells. I thought someone was working on exactly that. These would not be a replacement for the original 6's. But would have to be part of a kit to make them work correctly.

And yes, we ran 300. Planned on a short run anyhow so after we checked the fact they went together beautifully figured we'd just so a short run and see where these went.

Mark,

It's great that you can turn lemons into lemonade here and recoup your costs. But what about the other members who were in the group buy waiting for the real deal parts? Are we SOL at this point?
Mikey914
On this run yes, they are not perfect.

As I mentioned I will be reworking the tool But it will not be a fast proposition. Figure 6-8 weeks for me to get this straightened out.

I'll send you a set to play with MB911. Maybe we do some trading? WE can work that out via PM. But do drop me an adress again.
Mark
mb911
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 27 2017, 08:45 AM) *

On this run yes, they are not perfect.

As I mentioned I will be reworking the tool But it will not be a fast proposition. Figure 6-8 weeks for me to get this straightened out.

I'll send you a set to play with MB911. Maybe we do some trading? WE can work that out via PM. But do drop me an adress again.
Mark

Sounds like a plan to me.
Harpo
Mark please add me to the list for clamshells & eye brows.

Thanks

David
mb911
I received Mark's samples and they look great. I need to spend some time playing around with them maybe this week.
larryM
why?

- i recently got a repro pair from AA - $19.50 ea - 2 req'd

mepstein
QUOTE(larryM @ Feb 26 2017, 04:10 PM) *

why?

- i recently got a repro pair from AA - $19.50 ea - 2 req'd

I don't buy anything from AA so I'll wait on 914rubber.
Biggles
Hi Mark

How's the tooling re-work coming along on these ?

Chris
brant
I'm going to need the eye brows too.
brant
gcrotvik
QUOTE(brant @ May 2 2017, 09:56 AM) *

brant

I believe Mark already has the eyebrows done. They were part of the original group buy.
brant
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ May 2 2017, 02:18 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ May 2 2017, 09:56 AM) *

brant

I believe Mark already has the eyebrows done. They were part of the original group buy.

crud
I didn't find them on the website
I'll go look again
gcrotvik
Just checking in on these. Mark, were you able to re-tool the clam shells? Is there an eta?
ConeDodger
When they're perfect. I'm in. No hurry.
mb911
I will get back on this project shortly as I have a sample.. Been so busy with some many other projects but need to ramp this up..
Mikey914
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Aug 25 2017, 06:56 AM) *

Just checking in on these. Mark, were you able to re-tool the clam shells? Is there an eta?

We would be starting from scratch again on these, so I've put it off until I can get some other big projects completed. I literally have $15,000 into these to date and it's not making much sense to throw that into this again, at least at this time. I do have plenty of these that are close, and if you are making the column metal you can make them work, but not on a true 6.

Sorry.
Biggles
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 27 2017, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Aug 25 2017, 06:56 AM) *

We would be starting from scratch again on these, so I've put it off until I can get some other big projects completed. I literally have $15,000 into these to date and it's not making much sense to throw that into this again, at least at this time. I do have plenty of these that are close, and if you are making the column metal you can make them work, but not on a true 6.

Sorry.

Hi Mark, not quite true. The ones I received from you to try did fit on my -6, but they needed some alteration work to the bottom fixings points where the clam shell is screwed onto the steering column. The side holes were also slightly out so I decided to drill and tap new holes into the indicator and wiper housing.

After searching the globe, I couldn't find any shells (well none that could be bought) so I had no other option, but the bottom line is that if someone a) has no other choice and b) has the time , tools and patience they WILL fit and when done, you'll never tell the difference. Despite the size issue, the rest of the casting and finish is excellent.

See pics of some of the process.

Chris.
Mikey914
Thanks for the heads up. You wouldn't happen to have a template laying around would you?
mb911
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 27 2017, 01:21 PM) *

Thanks for the heads up. You wouldn't happen to have a template laying around would you?

I was thinking the same and just get a laser cut piece to bolt in position.
914forme
agree.gif For my conversion car this will work just fine. For my real -6, I just hope the surround is not damaged. dry.gif

But I would be in for one of these for the EG project car.
Biggles
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 27 2017, 10:21 PM) *

Yes I've still got the cardboard template. I could send it to you?

It will also need drilling for the 2 main clam attachment points (can't remember the size?) and I also used 2 self tapper screws to attach the bracket onto the steering column.

As mentioned, this isn't the end of it. Drilling and tapping the side holes will also need to be done by the installer.
Mikey914
I'm thinking about making the column with the "correct" fitment. That way the "conversion kit" would be complete. I have a sample, just need to modify and check fit.
mb911
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 30 2017, 12:56 PM) *

I'm thinking about making the column with the "correct" fitment. That way the "conversion kit" would be complete. I have a sample, just need to modify and check fit.

That would be a good way as well..

Also where are the eye brow pieces on your website?
raynekat
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 30 2017, 01:56 PM) *

I'm a definite buyer for this.
Add me to the sign up list.
Mark Henry
I have a set of these, the quality is outstanding first.gif
The fitment issue is IMHO minor and would be basically expected from any other vendor.
The price Mark's selling these for and the high quality of the finished install is worth the trivial fit work.
Mikey914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 30 2017, 02:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 30 2017, 12:56 PM) *

That would be a good way as well..

Also where are the eye brow pieces on your website?

Here are the eyebrow grommets (in silicone for easier install)

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Eyebrow-grom...m?categoryId=-1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.