Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Q: If using a high torque starter, is hot start relay needed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jason74914
The PO (who also lived in Texas, where it can get very hot) had installed a "homemade" hot start relay setup. It works fine, but there are alot of extra wires and a big wiring loom going across the engine bay. Last thing I need is more clutter in the engine bay!

Question: If I install a quality high torque starter, would it eliminate the need for the hot start relay setup, or not?
Thanks,
Jason
Rand
Controversial subject. I've never used hot start relays because I felt like they were a band-aid for an unhealthy starter circuit. The solenoid is the real relay for the big current. BUT, the long runs and the starter switch can be the most significant reasons to use a relay. If you are in that camp, it has nothing to do with the starter.
iankarr
It's all about how much juice it takes to engage the solenoid. Installing a high torque starter probably won't eliminate the need for a relay. As Rand mentioned, the long runs and 40+ year old wire introduce a lot of resistance in the circuit. When things are hot, the resistance is greater...which is why the circuit may not carry enough current to trigger the solenoid.

Compared to re-wiring the entire starter circuit, adding a relay is a simple fix. I like the "ford" solution. I paired that with a high torque starter and haven't had a hot start issue since.

Here's a good thread on it..

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=84670

Jason74914
Thanks Cuddyk.
Wow, that "ford solution" is a MUCH cleaner install than what my PO put together.
I can't tell from the picture, how is that relay mounted to the starter? Just using an existing bolt, or is there a bracket needed.
Also, how is that relay grounded? (Relays need a ground)
SLITS
QUOTE(Jason74914 @ Jun 3 2016, 06:09 AM) *

Thanks Cuddyk.
Wow, that "ford solution" is a MUCH cleaner install than what my PO put together.
I can't tell from the picture, how is that relay mounted to the starter? Just using an existing bolt, or is there a bracket needed.

Mine is mounted to the underside of the trunk floor above the starter with a 1/4X 20 fastener.
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Jason74914 @ Jun 3 2016, 09:09 AM) *

Thanks Cuddyk.

I carefully bend and dremel to size one bracket ear and mount the solenoid on the bottom starter mounting bolt.

I cut no wires, use a 914 (or VW) ground lug for the spade connector. The bracket is the ground.
Valy
A high torque starter will need more power, loading your old wires more than the regular starter.
If you had power distribution problems to the starter, then the high torque starter will make that worse.
Of course, if the problem was the old starter or solenoid that was clogged and burning a lot of power on itself, a new starter will make those wiring issues less obvious and the hot start relay will seem not needed.
I don't agree the hot start relay is a band-aid. It solves the bad wiring issue with a bypass circuit. If you use it for some other issue then it's actually more like a hair growing formula.
iankarr
I was able to attach the ford relay directly to the starter case, which grounded it as well. Here are some pics...

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.