Full Version: Why EFI?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Gunn1
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Jun 16 2016, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 16 2016, 03:37 AM) *

Hey fellas, what's the best oil for air-cooled motors? hide.gif

laugh.gif

The REAL question is "Why did they design an engine that needed oil?" Did they Eff that up too? drunk.gif

How about a Ceramic Wankel? smooth, torque, more hp, better fuel economy better burn because of higher operating temps.......not sure about the effin oil though
Darren C
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Jun 16 2016, 09:54 PM) *

Napier is a diesel in the marine application I would guess.

Appears you've had your sea legs for a lifetime.
Been to the Bay of Biscay?(Cockney)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_wave
biggrin.gif

Yes the Deltic is a Diesel in Marine form. It had two types of starter motor, the first was an air turbine, the second was a holder for shot gun cartridges, that you fired and the explosion cranked it over!

As for sea legs, yep you could say I've had had more than my fair share at sea and sailed the bay far too may times to count.
That rogue wave info is interesting, like the Clooney movie "The Perfect Storm", I've been at sea in these conditions twice. once in 87 and again in 96. In 96 I was Marine Engineer Officer of the watch on a Type 23 frigate (they were brand new back then) and we got into a terrible storm. The ship started to split in two. Cracks developed on 1 Deck abaft the beam forward of the hanger and aft of the superstructure. We had two teams around the clock with tape and marker pens, measuring how wide it opened and how fast it moved across and down through the ship, marking and timing each progression. It went completely across 1 Deck and then started going down through 5 Deck and then below. The Frigate was being tossed like a cork, we didnt sleep for 3 days, being thrown around inside, pumping out water while the crack only needed to go a few more feet before it got to water level and the ship would have flooded, broken in half and been lost.

Never underestimate the power of nature.

Fortunately we limped back to Portsmouth and I help the dockyard shipwrights repair the damage. From then on all Type 23 had an enormous gusset welded in between the hanger and superstructure on 1 deck to strengthen for this calculated 1 in 100 year event.

So back on track....Any news Geoff on your AFR D-jet trace?
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jun 17 2016, 04:45 AM) *

QUOTE(veekry9 @ Jun 16 2016, 09:54 PM) *

Napier is a diesel in the marine application I would guess.

Appears you've had your sea legs for a lifetime.
Been to the Bay of Biscay?(Cockney)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_wave
biggrin.gif

Yes the Deltic is a Diesel in Marine form. It had two types of starter motor, the first was an air turbine, the second was a holder for shot gun cartridges, that you fired and the explosion cranked it over!

As for sea legs, yep you could say I've had had more than my fair share at sea and sailed the bay far too may times to count.
That rogue wave info is interesting, like the Clooney movie "The Perfect Storm", I've been at sea in these conditions twice. once in 87 and again in 96. In 96 I was Marine Engineer Officer of the watch on a Type 23 frigate (they were brand new back then) and we got into a terrible storm. The ship started to split in two. Cracks developed on 1 Deck abaft the beam forward of the hanger and aft of the superstructure. We had two teams around the clock with tape and marker pens, measuring how wide it opened and how fast it moved across and down through the ship, marking and timing each progression. It went completely across 1 Deck and then started going down through 5 Deck and then below. The Frigate was being tossed like a cork, we didnt sleep for 3 days, being thrown around inside, pumping out water while the crack only needed to go a few more feet before it got to water level and the ship would have flooded, broken in half and been lost.

Never underestimate the power of nature.

Fortunately we limped back to Portsmouth and I help the dockyard shipwrights repair the damage. From then on all Type 23 had an enormous gusset welded in between the hanger and superstructure on 1 deck to strengthen for this calculated 1 in 100 year event.

So back on track....Any news Geoff on your AFR D-jet trace?

Look back one page where I posted it.
Darren C
Thanks Geoff, that's what happens when there's too much distraction in another direction....didn't see it!

But now. That is impressive, very stable and good burn. I doubt you'd get engine running smooth, driveable and with the same power & torque on Carbs at this AFR level you'd need 115 mains or below on a 2.0L to get anywhere close.

So OP, this is why the factory went D-jet. Right there in Black & White. ;-)

QED
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 11 2016, 02:59 PM) *

Did Porsche eff up?

Been reading on different types of fuel delivery systems and their pro and cons.

Many of the Guru's (about 5 to 1) prefer carburation.

With this being the case, Did Porsche mess up when they went the EFI route with the 914?

WHY DID THEY DO IT?????

I would like to keep my car stock with the factory EFI, but increasingly getting more difficult to do with so little information backing it up.

If you really want to know the answers to your questions, you need to do some reading offline. Take it directly from the horse's mouth:

Get a copy of "Excellence Was Expected" by Karl Ludvigsen.

You will not only get an explanation of WHY Manifold Air Pressure Fuel Injection was chosen for the 914, but how Porsche went about making their decisions. You will also get the entire history of the company.

If you don't walk away after reading that book with a great deal of respect for the company, the decisions they made, and their place in history then it staggers the imagination why you'd suffer through the expense and hard work of owning and maintaining an old German car.

Part of owning a Porsche (even a NARP 914) is appreciation of the brand and the engineering. If none of those matter to you, sell the 914 and get a Honda.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Jun 17 2016, 03:05 PM) *

Did Porsche eff up?

Been reading on different types of fuel delivery systems and their pro and cons.

With this being the case, Did Porsche mess up when they went the EFI route with the 914?

WHY DID THEY DO IT?????

I would like to keep my car stock with the factory EFI, but increasingly getting more difficult to do with so little information backing it up.

If you really want to know the answers to your questions, you need to do some reading offline. Take it directly from the horse's mouth:

You will not only get an explanation of WHY Manifold Air Pressure Fuel Injection was chosen for the 914, but how Porsche went about making their decisions. You will also get the entire history of the company.

If you don't walk away after reading that book with a great deal of respect for the company, the decisions they made, and their place in history then it staggers the imagination why you'd suffer through the expense and hard work of owning and maintaining an old German car.

Part of owning a Porsche (even a NARP 914) is appreciation of the brand and the engineering. If none of those matter to you, sell the 914 and get a Honda.

Thanks for the reading recommendation, I found it and read some of the reviews on line...Looks like a great read.

I actually already have a great deal of respect for the Porsche name and engineering that went into the vehicles. It all started when my Dad started selling the majority of his Vette collection and started buying Porsche's. One of his I remember most was a 1964 356SC. He saw it in 1975 sitting in used car lot in Minneapolis(Westside Volkswagen) the dealer got it on a trade. it needed a ton of work, which was fine due to the fact Dad owned a body shop and Westside was one of his accounts, he also new the used car manager. After a lot of negotiating it was his for 600.00 bucks. this car provided many firsts for me. Learning how to use saddle soap and rubbing until my arms where sore. The heavy thick brown Leather softened up and looked like new.(Never forget that smell either) The interior chrome, it was amazing how much chrome there was in these small Marvels, using chrome polish until the fingers almost bled and going through a box of rags ending up with a pile of used black rags and black stained hands. Working through the rest of the Interior, the carpet and of course the Coco mats. It was a labor of love. At the time he had a Old school body man that removed all of the rust, he could fabricate any shape bend or curve with sheet metal, then I believe he would use "lead" to fill the dents or seams and file the panel until it was perfect. I cannot remember the exact color name, But it looked like Milk Chocolate, Brown chocolate. Bone stock beautiful. I can remember going out in it. Pop would get it singing down the country roads. He would often try to scare me a little be laying on the brakes and taking his hands of the wheel. The car never failed to stop quick and straight. I always liked the Porsche because if you owned one you "Didn't see yourself coming and going" Its unique shape and sound
always got looks. Since I purchased my first 914 this last February, I have yet to see
one on the road. I find myself wishing I could work on them daily. Like many I cannot wait to get them of the road.......
Gunn1
"Part of owning a Porsche (even a NARP 914) is appreciation of the brand and the engineering. If none of those matter to you, sell the 914 and get a Honda."

The above statement is true for some of us but not all.

Many have foresaken the type 4 and its factory fuel delivery system.
for a Chevy, Subaru, and yes even Honda engines and their respective
Fuel delivery systems.

So besides being Porsche, I think that is why the 914 appeals to many. It has so many ways to personalize it....
Gunn1
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Jun 17 2016, 03:05 PM) *

Did Porsche eff up?

WHY DID THEY DO IT?????

"Excellence was Expected" wasn't what I expected. While it was a good read it more was slanted toward the racing end of things... Didn't really include much to do with the civilian side (non race) of things. I would have liked to read more with regards to how and why they made their decisions relating to the consumer end user and not so much the Racing enthusiast.

It was Ok.

Is there any other good reads more related to the non race, more consumer side of the developments ?
barefoot

With this being the case, Did Porsche mess up when they went the EFI route with the
"Excellence was Expected" wasn't what I expected. While it was a good read it more was slanted toward the racing end of things... Didn't really include much to do with the civilian side (non race) of things. I would have liked to read more with regards to how and why they made their decisions relating to the consumer end user and not so much the Racing enthusiast.

It was Ok.

Is there any other good reads more related to the non race, more consumer side of the developments ?
[/quote]
Try Wikepedia for a brief history.
Remember that the D jet system used on early 914's was already in use for 2 years on VW Square & Fastback cars.
Gunn1
[quote name='barefoot' date='Jun 24 2016, 12:45 PM' post='2363458']
With this being the case, Did Porsche mess up when they went the EFI route with the

It was Ok.

[/quote]
Try Wikepedia for a brief history.
Remember that the D jet system used on early 914's was already in use for 2 years on VW Square & Fastback cars.
[/quote]

Good point on the D jet.
Rand
I see what you did there with the subject change. Having second thoughts about the "eff up" question? tongue.gif
Now you are asking if they expect excellence. Well, of course they always strive for it. Some things work better than others, but over time it's always about improving over the previous technology.
Are all your questions rhetorical?
Gunn1
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 24 2016, 02:16 PM) *

I see what you did there with the subject change. Having second thoughts about the "eff up" question? tongue.gif
Now you are asking if they expect excellence. Well, of course they always strive for it. Some things work better than others, but over time it's always about improving over the previous technology.

Nope nothing rhetorical at all

Excellence was Excpected is the name of a recommended read.

No second thoughts, More what could have or should have been done by the engineers at Porsche to supply the end user with a "True" Porsche. That's all
TheCabinetmaker

I think his new thread wasn't drawing any drama, so he resurrected one that should just die. confused24.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 24 2016, 12:32 PM) *

No second thoughts, More what could have or should have been done by the engineers at Porsche to supply the end user with a "True" Porsche. That's all

Now you want to play the "True Porsche" card??? I wish you'd learn to use search features so you wouldn't clutter up the board with 'loaded' comments and questions.
Mueller
Couple of Q's for the thread starter:
Still watching black and white TV? If not, why not?
Still using a 386 based processor? Why not?

I doubt it, it is called progress. Of course black and white TV's and 386 based computers "work" so you shouldn't need anything newer.

http://www.cardiagnostics.be/-now/Educatio...on%20Manual.pdf

See above link...They explain why in print, starting with page 3..
"can already comply today with the exhaust gas legislation of tomorrow"

If you read any of the manuals for D-jet or L-jet they specifically call out what the CO2 levels should be for each particular model, that number is there for a reason (emissions) Yes I know not all places care about smog or emission numbers, but they would rather not build a vehicle that is compliant in only certain areas (like the old goofy CA only smog rules, some models not legal for CA yet legal in all other states even those that are direct neighbors)

And if you think Porsche was all alone in the bad decision to go EFI, please feel free to criticize Saab, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Jaguar since they too started to use the same exact fuel injection as Porsche did with the 914.

I am glad to know that 914world is blessed with someone like you that is surely smarter than the thousands of engineers from those above companies. pray.gif

http://www.lanuv.nrw.de/fileadmin/lanuv/lu...ears_part-1.pdf

It appears Germany started to be more concerned with CO2 and smog in the '60s. Being that Bosch is a German company they had a huge finacial interest in getting these numbers down to an acceptable level.

Even the manufactures of carbs started to do R&D on EFI and had implemented it years ago.
Gunn1
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 24 2016, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 24 2016, 12:32 PM) *

Now you want to play the "True Porsche" card??? I wish you'd learn to use search features so you wouldn't clutter up the board with 'loaded' comments and questions.

I could say "now you get to decide what clutter and loaded Questions are?"

There have been numerous threads that have far less important subject matter in them than this one, and I don't find myself telling the OP they should not have started a thread because the subject has already been covered, or its clutter. Search functions don't always provide the info looked for. Finally if all got their answers from the search function and because of it didn't post....this would be a fairly slow and uninteresting site...

euro911
... but this one keeps going over the same old ground. D-jet & L-jet FI from the 70's ... it is what it is popcorn[1].gif
Mueller
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 24 2016, 03:04 PM) *

... but this one keeps going over the same old ground. D-jet & L-jet FI from the 70's ... it is what it is popcorn[1].gif

OP is working on a time machine. He will convince Porsche they should have kept carbs smile.gif
I think the OP simply has too much time and would like to bump his tread up so he will be noticed as a value contributor.
pray.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(396 @ Jun 24 2016, 05:25 PM) *

I think the OP simply has too much time and would like to bump his tread up so he will be noticed as a value contributor.
pray.gif

What do you mean by "bump"
TheCabinetmaker

pray.gif

av-943.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 24 2016, 03:28 PM) *

pray.gif

as simple as it sounds...you bump something it moves....in the case it moves to the top of the list..
Gunn1
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 24 2016, 05:17 PM) *

OP is working on a time machine. He will convince Porsche they should have kept carbs smile.gif

Alright simple question

914/4 EFI. 914/6 Carburated ...why?

Obviously many here would gladly trade
Their 4 for a 6 which didn't come in a fact
EFI configuration back then....if the 6 was
Truly all Porsche then why put a set of
Garbage (?) carbs on it? And go with what
Some are saying is the far superior EFI?

I just doesnt make sense.

Either Porsche was lazy and didn't want to go all the work to inject the 6, or they thought it to be in exact and not worthy of installing on the 6.

I don't know...maybe there is another reason?
TheCabinetmaker
All the reasons are in the twelve pages of YOUR thread, yet you refuse to acknowledge the obvious? I won't be reading anymore of this thread. I also won't be reading any of your post in the future. By the time you read this, you'll be on my ignore list. Good luck in life. Your gonna need it.
Mueller
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 24 2016, 03:49 PM) *

Alright simple question

Either Porsche was lazy and didn't want to go all the work to inject the 6, or they thought it to be in exact and not worthy of installing on the 6.

Bingo...Porsche is the laziest company in the world, how did they muster the energy to make the /6 models with 5 lug suspension and make the ignition switch in a different location?

They made 3332 914-6 in a period of 2 years.

They made 115,646 /4 bangers.

The /6 models where not quite flying off the showroom floors due to the increased price, for a grand or so more you could have a 911.

The factory obviously saw that there was no reason to put big R&D money into a fuel injected /6. If you notice the /6 stopped in '71.

If the /6 was that popular and a money maker the factory would have spent the money to further improve the product line and it would have had EFI sooner or later just like the 911's which had it beginning in '73

jcd914
The 914/6 engine is simply a 1969 911 T engine which had already been designed and was in production at the time the 914/6 started production.
They chose a low end 911 engine to avoid the 914/6 out performing the 911.

Jim
Mueller
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 24 2016, 04:12 PM) *

The 914/6 engine is simply a 1969 911 T engine which had already been designed and was in production at the time the 914/6 started production.
They chose a low end 911 engine to avoid the 914/6 out performing the 911.

Jim

yep,they actually did have a fuel injection setup they could have used, it was costly for the 911 and it would have been even more money for the 914 due to the lower production numbers. (sure some parts would be the same, but I'm sure there would be 914 specific parts which increases the price)
Rand

Alright simple question

Porsche DID go to all the work to inject everything. While they did the fours first, they followed with the sixes. That's just the consumer cars, don't forget the factory race cars WERE using FI back then. And since then, ALL of their cars have been FI. None of them use carbs anymore. WHY?
Please let that sink in before you rephrase the same questions again, or suggest they were lazy or "effing up" or some other ignorant nonsense, again.
KELTY360
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 24 2016, 03:28 PM) *

pray.gif

Use the search.
Gunn1
Good luck in life, cause I will need it?

You'd swear I said something political.

Come on C maker.....I don't think this is life or death bud.

Don't quite understand the vitriol with the c makers comments.

Last time I checked this was a Forum, and I believe we all know what forum means.

Cuda911
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 24 2016, 05:41 PM) *

I believe we all know what forum means.

"Dear Penthouse Forum: I never though I would be writing you! I took my car to the shop to have my EFI replaced with carbs. The mechanic turned out to be a buxom woman!. She asked what I could trade for the work....."
914_teener

Alright simple question

OK.....time out... bs.gif

Gunn1
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 11 2016, 04:59 PM) *

Did Porsche eff up?

No they didn't eff up, they did the best they could with the new technology they had. It seems as though the technology was purchased by the folks at Bosch from the aviation component of Bendix. That said most Injection systems were originally good at idle and full open throttle, so primarily racing applications. So in there infancy not well suited for automobile applications.

There are very few con's to todays EFI systems, there were however performance and reliability issues with the original designs. Even today Claims of increased HP, Fuel economy, drivability, reliability and so on....some still dispute
how much these differences really mean. It appears the main thing EFI does extremely well over Carbs is in the pollution factor, or in this case the ability to pollute less. Carbs are a some what open system allowing hydro carbons to escape/vent in to our atmosphere even when the engine is at rest, where as the EFI is essentially a closed system releasing no vapors or gases unless the engine is running and those gases are then coming out of the tailpipe from the exhaust cycle.

The above Statement isn't correct, although what confuses this OP is the sheer amount of photographic evidence on this site and others including evilbay and CL showing most engine compartments with Carbs installed. Many here have spent thousands on their cars, and what do you see when the lid is lifted? a Carburated engine..... So while my intentions will be keeping my cars in their stock or near stock form, with EFI, I cannot understand why so many Carburated cars. (Because its easy isn't an answer, because its simple isn't an answer and because its cheap isn't an answer)

I do not believe they messed up, I believe they did the best they could with the available technology they had. Granted they did sort of use the end user as of a kind of a guinea pig/test bed, but what manufacturer doesn't in some way.

WHY DID THEY DO IT?????

I think that just as much as seeing the Ljet and Djet as a performance and platform to develop future EFI systems off of, Porsche and others also incorporated EFI into there products to show they were progressive company's in design and practicality.
EFI, Unibody, Targa, Mid engine, four wheel disc, and many more attributes can be cited as Porsches View into the future.

Above statement is also incorrect. In my case I think I am fortunate because I believe I have most the parts needed to reinstall the factory EFI's on all three of my cars. There is a plethora of info on both sides, but for now.... just for originalities sake, EFI will be the way I go.

To those that added constructive comments and or facts to this thread... it is much appreciated...to those that took this thread as some sort of attack on their beliefs, or way to "clutter" the site, I can appreciate how you feel, but I just see those arguments as shutting down the free flow of ideas and the give and take of facts that get each of us to arrive at our own understanding of the information.
Click to view attachment

flag.gif
JeffBowlsby
Enough already. I cannot ban you but I can ignore you.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 25 2016, 11:09 AM) *

Enough already. I cannot ban you but I can ignore you.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.