Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After 2 years, the teener finally broke
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ninefourteener
Ok...... so I'm a dumbass.

And all that talk about how reliable my teener has been over the past 2 years, has finally caught up with me. Bad Karma perhaps?

Anyway.... about a week ago, I was out driving the teener pretty late, and I ran the gas EXTREMELY low. I know I shouldn't have.. but I did.

A couple days later, I pulled it out of the garage on my lunchbreak, started it up, and went back inside to let it warm up.

Came back out, and the car was stopped...... and wouldn't restart. I figured I ran out of gas, but that afternoon, I put a couple gallons in it (enough to bring it to 1/4 tank)..... but it still won't start.

I'll pump and pump and pump and pump and pump the gas pedal, but it still won't start. (I have dual Solex Carbs) You'd THINK that I would have a foul gas smell, gas coming out the tailpipe, etc... but nope... nothing at all.

I hear the fuel pump working..... which leads me to believe there is a fuel blockage somewhere. Perhaps something as easy as a clogged filter???

The simple fact of the matter is that I've done almost no friggin work on this car at all in 2 years... so I have no idea where to start looking.

I'm going to peek in there tonight, change out the filter, and make sure there's no obvious clogs in the engine compartment... hopefully I'll find something.

MY QUESTION IS: If I don't find anything........ where's the next place to start looking??

Thanks in advance for the help..

Matt
ArtechnikA
check the filters, check the trash screens at the carbs if your Solexes have them like Webers do; and your idle jets, in case anything got through everything upstream.

dribble some gas down each carb throat - not a lot. if it starts and immediately dies, you'll know you have a fuel issue. (it *could* be something else. i think we've all burned up days chasing a problem we were SURE we had, only to discover the real problem elsewhere...)

donno what kind of fuel pump you have. i had one fill up with rust flakes to the point it quit pumping; with the exception of some roller-cell pumps, they all have a check valve of some description that can get wedged and cause no pressure... could be that the pump lost prime - especially if it's still in the back. you'd think 1/4 tank would give the fuel enough head to resolve that issue, but we're trying to cover all the bases here...
ninefourteener
Yes.... the fuel pump is in the back. Although I've never actually seen it with my own 2 eyes..... I hear it back there.

What do you mean the pump lost "prime"??? How do I fix that??

Are there any filters between the tank, and the pump? Or is the filter between the pump and the carbs?

Or both?

Sorry to sound so ignorant, but I really haven't even popped the engine lid to look at anything yet.. I'm literally starting from scratch. Been so busy lately.
Kerrys914
agree.gif

What type of ignition do you have? I have heard if the key is left on (As it would be with a stalled car) and you have a petronix (SP) ignition it could burn up??

It seems like a gas related issue so disconnect the inlet to the pump and see if you get fuel to that point, work you way through the system (Point to point) to verify you have no blockages to the carbs.

Best of luck
Joe Ricard
So open the drivers door, look behind the seat in the lower left corner. Pull the little knob.... don't forget to put your hand on the engine lid. lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

Inside there would be your engine lol2.gif lol2.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (ninefourteener @ Apr 8 2005, 09:45 AM)
What do you mean the pump lost "prime"??? How do I fix that??

Are there any filters between the tank, and the pump? Or is the filter between the pump and the carbs?

fuel pumps don't like to suck air. or at least, they don't do it very well. if you somehow got an air bubble between the tank and the pump inlet, it may be difficult for the pump to get past it. if you remove the fuell line from the tank to the pump and fuel spurts out, that's not your problem. if you get *no* fuel flow at the pump inlet line, you have some kind of problem there and you know which end to look at. SLIGHTLY pressurise the tank (if possible, considering the venting) and see if that gets fuel to the pump. and/or blow through it from the pump toward the tank, hoping to flush anything that mightta got wedged there.

it's anyone's guess where whoever converted your car to carbs put filters, and what kind, and how many. "the usual places" are up front by the tank, at the bottom, under the gravel shield (near the tank outlets) and in back, near the pump.
ninefourteener
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Apr 8 2005, 06:55 AM)
So open the drivers door, look behind the seat in the lower left corner. Pull the little knob.... don't forget to put your hand on the engine lid. lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

Inside there would be your engine lol2.gif lol2.gif

LMAO...

Guess that explains why the last time I popped the hood....... all I saw was a tire and a gas tank chairfall.gif
ninefourteener
I really need to get out of my "1970's GM musclecar" mentality.

I want to look for everything up top first, then crawl under the car if necessary.

I'll crawl under it tonight...... replace whatever filters I can find, and take a good look at the pump as well...... I'll post again if I find anything.

Thanks everyone beerchug.gif
Pugbug
I went through a fuel stavation problem with my carbed car also. It would start and run, but would start dying over 2500 rpm.
what I did was...
1.... Removed and cleaned the tank. There is a fine screen in the outlet, but the PO had blocked that and used the return (which is restrictive.and flush with the bottom of the tank allowing any rust scale to block it.) I changed it back to the outlet side with the screen.
That is the one closest to the center of the tank.

2....Changed and relocated the fuel filter under the tank.

3.....Installed a new fuel pump ( I don't know if this was needed, but it had a sad looking pump out of an old Honda.)

4.... Checked the screens in the Dells (under the banjos)

I hope this helps you out.
Toast
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Apr 8 2005, 07:41 AM)
dribble some gas down each carb throat - not a lot.

agree.gif

I use to do that in the VW when I would run out of gas (gas gage didnt work rolleyes.gif ). I would put a tiny amount in the carbs, would have to pump it a bit, and it would fire.
I know its a diffent type of engine, but the problem would be that when I ran it completely out of gas, and just added fule to the fule tank; there would not be any gas in the fuel system or carbs, and it couldnt pump it through.
So adding gas to the carbs was really the only way to get it to fire, otherwise it would just constantly flood.
p914
You can always try starting fluid.
ninefourteener
QUOTE (Toast @ Apr 8 2005, 08:30 AM)

So adding gas to the carbs was really the only way to get it to fire, otherwise it would just constantly flood.

Thats the problem... I've flooded the car before in the past....... the problem is that no gas is even getting to the carbs
Joe Ricard
If you need a pump I got a few stashed away in boxes.
merrill
After 2 years your car didn't break dry.gif It just wants a little more attention from you ohmy.gif
Toast
QUOTE (ninefourteener @ Apr 8 2005, 09:59 AM)
QUOTE (Toast @ Apr 8 2005, 08:30 AM)

Thats the problem... I've flooded the car before in the past....... the problem is that no gas is even getting to the carbs

welp, there ya go.

Put gas in your car, then dripple a little gas directly into the carbs. Pump it or floor it (however you usually start your car). It may take a few, and smell strong of gas, but it should (fingers crossed) start that way.

Good luck!
ninefourteener
Ok, now I'm really feeling stupid and need serious help..... My lunchbreak is almost over...... here's what I've done:

Crawled under the car, found the fuel filter right under the engine..... disconnected it..... gas all over the place... no clogs.

reconnected it........ and pumped and pumped and pumped....... it started....... and ran REALLY rough for about 5 seconds.

That happened twice.

Then...... SMOKE started pouring out of my air cleaner!!!! there is a burn mark on the top side of my passenger side air cleaner!!!!

it does NOT smell like gas... it smells electrical..... and it stopped when I turned the car off. I dont see any electrical wires going to that carb though.

The driver side air cleaner???? Stone cold.

I'm really lost..... someone HELP!!!

MATT
Toast
When was the last time you replaced or cleaned your air cleaner? huh.gif

Ya know, you cant start a car with a completely clogged air cleaner. biggrin.gif

Since you haven't opened the engine lid in 2 years, im sure that air cleaner is spotless. wink.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (ninefourteener @ Apr 8 2005, 12:45 PM)
... it started....... and ran REALLY rough for about 5 seconds.

That happened twice.

Then...... SMOKE started pouring out of my air cleaner!!!! there is a burn mark on the top side of my passenger side air cleaner!!!!

K&N's, yes ?

a dime'll get you a dollar you had a carb fire.

lean backfire through the carbs shoots flame onto the oil-soaked gauze.

you're lucky it went out when it did. have a fire extinguisher handy the next time you start it up - ideally with a helper. let the helper turn the key and work the throttle - *you* handle the fire bottle...

356's have this all too often - the float bowls empty, and then the lean-burn startup backfire through the intake sets one side alight.
ninefourteener
Unfortunately, I'm back at work now, so I can't be at the car... but I found this old pic of the engine... nothing has changed.

You can see on the far side.. the fuel pump mounted up against the firewall... an inline fuel pressure regulator, then the line directly to the passenger side carb.

I had K+N filters on my first teener.... these are not the same. its a wire-mesh air cleaner.. but I have no idea what they are... but someone should know by looking at them.

The burn mark was about the size of a quarter..... doesn't look like the whole cleaner was on fire. There is a sticker on the top of the air cleaner, and you can see it just got toasted.

Suggestions?
hi ho silber
Matt,
I'm up for trying to help.

I just sent a PM with my work/home numbers.

Brother ya just need to call!

I now you were MIA last year for awhile after we went to lunch. You missed the Fun Fest in effingham and the FFC. I've seen you posting on and off and now the weather's great let's get that beautiful car fixed!

Dave
ninefourteener
Just tried calling you Dave... left a message.

I do appreciate the help.... it sucks... the damn thing ran fine all winter. Spring is here... poof...... it breaks.

I'm sure its something really stupid... unfortunately its smarter than I am.

Dammit I need a V-8 conversion. If this was an SBC with a quadrajet I could have had half of it torn apart and fixed over a lunchbreak--LOL
nebreitling
REPLACE the fuel filter -- don't just unhook it and re-attach it. when you run you tank to empty some crud starts to go through the fuel lines -- your filter could be blocked. or your pump could be f-ed up.

replace those fuel lines if they need it while you're at it.

blow out the jets with some compressed air -- definitely check the filter screens if you have them.

got a fuel pressure gauge? see how many psi are getting to each carb (hopefully 3-5). not getting that AND you've replaced the fuel filter? suspect the pump. be sure to put a fuel filter BEFORE the pump in the future (if you haven't already done this).

if you don't know what all of this means, then spend some real time reading the archives of this bbs. you can do it, it'll be a great learning experience. you'll bond with your car, and stuff.

if you do all this, and it still don't work, then check for spark. (should probably check for spark first, but since you mentioned you ran your tank real low, i'd go ahead and start with fuel).

cheers, n

p.s. post pictures of your ex-girlfriends, please.
ninefourteener
When I disconnected the fuel filter... gas poured through it freely (and all over me...... I stink right now)... so it is definately NOT a clogged fuel filter. I think I ASSUMED because I ran the tank so low that it has something to do with that..... but it seems the problem may be completely unrelated.

All this does tell me one thing: The problem is DEFINATELY on the top side of the engine. That narrows it down to 3 things:

1. Fuel pump
2. Fuel Pressure regulator
3. Carburator

Remember, I did get it to run for a short time... although it ran like shit... it did run..... which would eliminate the "no spark" theory, right?

ex girlfriends???? Are you serious?? LOL

All of them?? That would take me hours, and probably overload the server---LOL
nebreitling
When I disconnected the fuel filter... gas poured through it freely (and all over me...... I stink right now)... so it is definately NOT a clogged fuel filter.

if it ran through it, then yes, it's not clogged. i'd still replace it.

Which does tell me one thing:  The problem is DEFINATELY on the top side of the engine.  That narrows it down to 3 things:

1.  Fuel pump
2.  Fuel Pressure regulator
3.  Carburator

yup, so check your fuel pressure at the carbs.

Remember, I did get it to run for a short time... although it ran like shit... it did run..... which would eliminate the "no spark" theory, right?

yeah, probably (could be intermitent) -- but if i couldn't get it going based on the above i'd check for good spark in all cylinders. got any fouled plugs? etc...

how's your linkage?

WE WANT EX-GF PICS!!!
ninefourteener
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Apr 8 2005, 11:08 AM)

if it ran through it, then yes, it's not clogged. i'd still replace it.

[
yup, so check your fuel pressure at the carbs.

yeah, probably (could be intermitent) -- but if i couldn't get it going based on the above i'd check for good spark in all cylinders. got any fouled plugs? etc...

how's your linkage?

WE WANT EX-GF PICS!!!

I definately need to check the pressure... don't have anything to do that with though. I'm half tempted to go out and buy a new fuel pump just to eliminate that as a possible option.

Don't know about any fouled plugs... haven't looked yet... I only had an hour lunchbreak. Sure... they may not be in the best of shape... and I'll certainly change them out soon... but I really don't think that is the problem.

Linkage?? Don't know yet.. haven't had time to look. When I get home, I'm going to pull the lines off the carbs, turn it on, and see if gas is making it through the pump and the regulator. If not, then thats my problem. If it is pumping through, then its a problem with my carb. I guess we'll see.

ex girlfriends..... jeez....... ok, here's a couple:

First is Aly
ninefourteener
Aly
ninefourteener
Becky
ninefourteener
Brandi
ninefourteener
Crissy
ninefourteener
Dawn
ninefourteener
I keep folders on a lot of them... but I only made it up to "D"..... thats enough for now.

Bad memories dammit--LOL
nebreitling
YEAH!!!!

all really hot!! i knew it... except for brandi. was she a man? is that why you broke up with her?

god i love this site.
ninefourteener
Actually, of the ones I posted... CHrissy was the least attractive of them all..... but I think its pretty easy to see why we dated for awhile--LOL

Brandi was actually pretty hot... only lasted a couple weeks though..... she had a really cool piercing in a really peculiar place biggrin.gif
ninefourteener
I feel like I need to redeem myself dammit.........

What the hell has this site done to me.

This is the only other pic I have of Brandi.... 2 Halloween's ago:

See... she's not ugly...... is she?? LOL

BTW.. Brandi is on the LEFT--LOL
anthony
Should have kept Becky!
ninefourteener
I have more.. I took a bunch smile.gif
aircooledboy
QUOTE (ninefourteener @ Apr 8 2005, 02:06 PM)
I feel like I need to redeem myself dammit.........

What the hell has this site done to me.

This is the only other pic I have of Brandi.... 2 Halloween's ago:

See... she's not ugly...... is she?? LOL

BTW.. Brandi is on the LEFT--LOL

The one on the right looks like David Letterman's illegitimate daughter. laugh.gif barf.gif monkeydance.gif

monkeydance.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Yep, Brandi used to be a man. Her girlfriend needs an extreme makeover.

Never seen anyone hijack their own thread before. laugh.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Apr 8 2005, 12:27 PM)
Yep, Brandi used to be a man. Her girlfriend needs an extreme makeover.

Never seen anyone hijack their own thread before. laugh.gif

Brandi was not a man dammit..... I assure you----LMFAO

Yea.. I did hijack my own thread didn't I?? I was coerced into it.

Can we talk about carburators again? This is kinda embarassing--LOL
ninefourteener
Ok.... I'm gonna be referring back to this post tonight trying to fix my car....... and if my girlfriend reads this post... she's gonna be PISSED.

I'd just like to point out that these are all OLD girlfriends.... and my current girlfriend of 10 months has definately led me to see the error of my ways..

Oh yea... and she's WAY WAY WAY hotter than any of my ex's.

Janet:
Steve Thacker
I dig Aly, what a doll..... I like my women with a little something to hang onto. wub.gif laugh.gif
mike_the_man
QUOTE (ninefourteener @ Apr 8 2005, 12:40 PM)
Oh yea... and she's WAY WAY WAY hotter than any of my ex's.

Janet:

And flexible, from the looks of it! This thread is frickin funny!!! ROFLMAO!!! Way to go Nate, you da man for taking this thread in a new and exciting direction!

Oh, and good luck with that carb thing. I know nothing about carbs, so I really have nothing to add. cool.gif

nebreitling
i'm just glad to help.
ninefourteener
Ok....... you all have my permission to violently, electronically, Bitchsmack me right across my mouth.

Long story short,.... I dug in, pulled off the air cleaners, removed all the fuel lines, removed the fuel pump, etc.

Found out that instead of providing a steady stream of fuel to the carbs... it was kind of "spitting" fuel out intermittently.

Couldn't figure out why.... beating my head against the wall...... hooked everything back up.... still just spitting barely any fuel.

Out of anger I reach down and grab the fuel pump and stark shaking it and beating on it... for no real reason....... and my finger gets sucked onto the back side of the fuel line.

Yup.... my engine was being starved of fuel because of a stupid ass tiny little slit in the fuel line.

Yup.... a whopping 59 cents for some fuel line..... all fixed..... car runs beautifully.

Let the bitchslapping begin. spank.gif
nebreitling
E through J should prevent any smack talking from me.
smooth_eddy
I agree Janet is very pretty. But, Becky just looks nasty. happy11.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Apr 8 2005, 08:55 PM)
E through J should prevent any smack talking from me.

Well... there's on "e"s, "f"s, or "g"s......... at least not that I have any pictures of.......

So considering my car is fixed now...... and I feel pretty strongly that no one was reading this thread to hear about my carburators........ I'll be a sport.

Here's "H" through "K"

Heather:
ninefourteener
Hilah
ninefourteener
Holly
ninefourteener
Jeanette
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.