Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3rd Brake Lamp, my best try...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Garland
Parking lamps are on also.
lotus_65
could a guy feed the wiring into the interior bolster and down the firewall? the po already has the wiring coming into the cabin (his dumb light's gone). it looks like i could hide everything completely this way.

looks great!
Harpo
I agree that this is the best looking high mounted 3rd brake like application I have seen on a 914. The problem is that now this part that is no longer in production is $160

David
Garland
I agree that this is the best looking high mounted 3rd brake like application I have seen on a 914. The problem is that now this part that is no longer in production is $160

David
This is the same lamp used in the Ford Taurus wing, just turned over. The Taurus part at the time I did the mod, was more then the GT. ( price set by demand)

I sure you can find a used 2002 Taurus lamp, wing or even a the whole deck lid for less.

Click to view attachment

Hope this helps.
StratPlayer
That's where I located mine
Harpo
Thanks for the heads up. I just bought one off EBAY for $50

David
Garland
I’ve been wanting to extend the third brake lamp for more width. So this time I’m using the lamp from a Cadillac tailgate . I had to extensively modify the lens size, by filing and sanding it to fit inside the 914 trim. I wanted to reinforce the rollbar and give a backstop to the lamp, so I utilized some underlying material used for floating floors inside the roll bar. It also took quite a bit of time to shave/mill the hole in the roll bar trim.

Also I used the reflective material to get the best performance from the lamp.

Do to do the additional depth needed for the lenses and the style lamp, I needed a little more height, the trim is mounted ontop of the pinch weld, instead of over it. The center section of the pinch weld I removed when installing the other lamp, so a set screw at each end holds the trim in place.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Garland
More, and it’s very bright.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Very neat installation, well done.
euro911
I have a spare crossbar trim piece and plan to do pretty much the same thing with a wide LED strip. My only fear is cutting the opening - not sure of the best method to accomplish the task.

I don't think my hands are steady enough to try it with a Dremel tool dry.gif

Should I make a fixture to hold the trim piece and use a router with a small diameter bit? ...

... or make a fixture and attempt to run it through a vertical mill?

Garland
Are used a router bit, in a drill press. It’s an old craftsman so I adjusted the belt to a slower speed and used a piece of wood for a fence clamped to the table on one side. Tried two word guides to slide the piece in but binding became a concern.

I used my first attempt, only because of how much time it took to slowly remove material. I adjusted the depth with each pass. Did about a third at a time, easier to work with that way .
euro911
That sounds like a good method. Thanks thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.