Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3rd Brake Lamp, my best try...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Garland
Well can you see it?
Garland
Ask, and you will see more!
scotty914
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Aaron Cox
pretty cool...

wheer did you put the wires>?
Garland
A little closer look.
Garland
Wires are inside the stock roll bar. Then behind the sail trim, and into the trunk.
Garland
Cut the hole in the trim to fit the face of the lamp housing. Almost flush.
Garland
Light on
Garland
DOT approved lamp, brightest light on the car.
Garland
Top off.
Garland
Again flush, almost with trim. Did not want to have the
"stuck on look".
Garland
This picture just was cool.
SGB
Most certainly a keeper! It is great. Where did you get the light panel to start with? Did it require a resister to connect it to the incandescent system, like a replacement LED bulb?
Flat VW
Will that illuminate on deceleration as well as with the brake lights? idea.gif

John

P.S. neat installation
Andyrew
Who
What
When
Where
How much?

Are you reproducting these? or is this just something one off for you?
Garland
QUOTE (SGB @ Apr 9 2005, 11:57 PM)
Most certainly a keeper! It is great. Where did you get the light panel to start with? Did it require a resister to connect it to the incandescent system, like a replacement LED bulb?

No resister needed. It came from this model car. OEM lamp.
Andyrew
I dono.. that car looks expensive.....

what is it??
Garland
You can just see it at the top of the rear glass. (O no I might be hijacking my own post.)
Garland
Ford GT
Andyrew
How the heck did you get that part???

How much??

dont make me repost my questions... lol
Garland
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Apr 10 2005, 12:04 AM)
Who
What
When
Where
How much?

Are you reproducting these? or is this just something one off for you?

Me
GT
Last night took 3 hours
My garage
$40.00! at your Ford dealer

Your last question : Its one off for me. I did have to cut a pocket in the stock roll bar, not just the trim, due to the depth of the housing. I would not have done this to my project car. But this one is the daily driver and I like to customize it a bit.
lagunero
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Apr 9 2005, 10:18 PM)
How the heck did you get that part???

How much??

dont make me repost my questions... lol

yea, don't make me repost his questions biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
that is AWESOME
Garland
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 10 2005, 12:24 AM)
that is AWESOME

agree.gif I like it to. Thanks
azbill
That is one the slickest ideas I have seen in a long time. Nice work!
markb
QUOTE (azbill @ Apr 9 2005, 09:40 PM)
That is one the slickest ideas I have seen in a long time. Nice work!

agree.gif

Very nice!
neo914-6
Demick did similar some time ago for not much less in cost: 3rd Brake light
Actual instructions are here
I'd like to say I have a GT part on my car... biggrin.gif
Garland
Wow I did the same lamp last year. I wanted something a little more stelth. Removed the GM part and went with the GT.
Elliot_Cannon
So I can just walk into any Ford dealer and order this thing? Kool! Do you maybe have a part number?
Thanks Elliot
Garland
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Apr 10 2005, 10:03 AM)
So I can just walk into any Ford dealer and order this thing? Kool! Do you maybe have a part number?
Thanks Elliot

One lamp asy Part # 4G7Z-13A613-AA
Aaron Cox
show us your wiring please..... smile.gif
Jeroen
wow! excellent job!
GeorgeRud
Got the part from my local Ford Dealer today. They wanted $59.20 for it, but it came in 2 days. I just hope I can cut my chrome trim nicely enough to fit it as well as the red car did. The look is just beautiful, I saw the car at the Midwest SMOG RAMBLE, and it made all the other 3rd brake lights look kind of stuck on.

I think that this is a very important upgrade if you drive your car in traffic these days. Here in Chicagoland, most of the drivers are semi-brain dead on there best days, so bright colors and bright lights are your best defense.
Ferg
wow, that looks great, and I happen to have a spare trim section idea.gif . I would love more pics of wiring, and a how to.

Ferg.
redshift
ohmy.gif

Excellent!

M
Garland
QUOTE (Ferg @ Aug 19 2005, 03:54 PM)
wow, that looks great, and I happen to have a spare trim section idea.gif . I would love more pics of wiring, and a how to.

Ferg.

Ok,
Aaron, George and Ferg I will pop off the trim and take some pictures to show I did it. I will post them Sunday night.
John
Garland
Here is the pocket cut out of the roll bar. I used a jig saw and a good blade. Inside the bar is a inner reinforcement. It will not need to be cut as this
lamps depth is just right to fit up to it when installed.
Garland
This view shows the cut a little closer. (The roll bar cover folds under itself not into the pocket due to the tight fit of the lamp)
Garland
Cut to top and bottom edge.
Garland
The trim needs to be cut out of the top 2/3 for the light to fit into the roll bar, and fit into the trim due to the backside shape of the trim piece. No cutting of the trim is needed other then the hole for the lamp on the face side of the trim. This was also done with a jig saw after drilling a starter hole for the blade to fit through.
Garland
This shot shows the trim bar upside down. Notice the curvature of the cut. Slightly smaller then the light so no gap shows. This also holds the lamp
from falling out. Nothing other then the trim holds the lamp in place.
Garland
This is from the back side of the trim. The black tape hides any bleed through when the lamp is on between the trim and roll bar.
Garland
Another view of the backside.
Garland
The wiring comes out the back of the lamp through the roll bar, and out to a drilled hole at one end.
Garland
Down the sail behind the sail trim,
Garland
and between the left grill end piece,
Garland
into the trunk. Along the left side wiring harness, and tied into the left brake lamp leads.
Garland
I hope that will help anyone doing this 3rd brake lamp modification.
Thanks for the interest.
John
SpecialK
NICELY DONE!! Looks like it should have been there all along! beerchug.gif
Garland
A few more shots.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.