Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I gotta Go Wide
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ben*james
It's been nearly a life long dream to have a GT. I've got an absolutely great car and with the exception of a narrow body, I'd be content. So, I'll add some more content later but the basic question is how do I go wide?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Rand
Ben, stop asking rhetorical questions.
Cracker
Obviously, there are a few options and what you end up choosing will probably be based upon your budget and time frame (and whether you can/want to do the work too). Definitely use your current car...do you have the skills, time and equipment to install flares yourself?

I have had both glass (I installed - riveted) and currently have steel - I like both but prefer the steel. The down side is that a full exterior paint is most likely necessary or at least easier when finished. Mo-money, mo time.

Glass can be installed and paint matched fairly easily. It took me about 30 hours to hand fit each panel (total time! LOL). The devils in the details to make a glass car look outstanding - fit & finish wise.

Best of luck!

PS: I do like blue..

Tony

STEEL
Click to view attachment

GLASS (Lewis Broyles - Friend who helped quite a bit on this build)
Click to view attachment
Rand
Tony cracker, I love you man. Your dad is looking svelt.

Ben... it's just flares. You aren't seriously talking wide?
Chris914n6
You're looking at about $1500 for flare bits, plus labor, plus a full respray, plus wide wheels, and likely a month of downtime.

Or you might score a flared chassis, in which you can build it up in your free time. Add the various parts to your liking. Then when it's done sell the 74 and at least break even, or it you get it done quick enough to catch the Porsche bubble actually make some moola.
Elliot Cannon
Fiberglass with "dzus" fasteners. Unless of course your into that whole purity thing. lol-2.gif
mepstein
If you have a good car, flare it. There is no reason to start over with something unknown. A good shop can match the paint. You already have five lug hubs. Find a good body guy and painter and get it done. The wheels should be an almost even swap for 7's and 8's. beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
Follow the white rabbit.... shades.gif
Mark Henry
Why not one of each.... narrow and a wide idea.gif

happy11.gif
mb911
Flare it as is.. Why try to sort 2 of them out. Unless you have endless time and money.
tazz9924
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Aug 6 2016, 06:55 PM) *

Obviously, there are a few options and what you end up choosing will probably be based upon your budget and time frame (and whether you can/want to do the work too). Definitely use your current car...do you have the skills, time and equipment to install flares yourself?

I have had both glass (I installed - riveted) and currently have steel - I like both but prefer the steel. The down side is that a full exterior paint is most likely necessary or at least easier when finished. Mo-money, mo time.

Glass can be installed and paint matched fairly easily. It took me about 30 hours to hand fit each panel (total time! LOL). The devils in the details to make a glass car look outstanding - fit & finish wise.

Best of luck!

Tony

STEEL
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is my dream car jesus, if only it was orange aktion035.gif
PanelBilly
Just do it.
Tom_T
Hey Ben,

Contrary to the "I love 914-GT Flares" crowd on here, I've never personally been a fan of Porsche Racting's 1969-70 expedient & cost efficient GT solution of those blocky flares - IMHO it's not an elegant solution at all - as say compared to what Porsche did with the flared fenders for the 911 RS, 930, etc. of that era.

I'd suggest that you look at what Ethan Kuhl did on his excellent /4 to -6 conversion with a sleeker wide body look IMHO. His 914 was in Panorama last year IIRC (don't recall which), & I think he had some build pix of how he did them on here. You can PM or email him for them. I think that he'd sectioned out the fenders & welded in triangular patches, formed into a very nice extended curve flares on all 4 corners, which a competent body shop should be able to do for you.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=246895&hl=

IPB Image

It's just another option for you to consider. BTW - it looks even better in person, & the width of the flares are much more obvious, vs. in the pic above it looks almost stock with a slightly rolled fender. I'm not sure if Ethan sold it for that 912 he was looking at a while back.

If you do go factory GT flare, then do them properly with the steel ones welded in - even if yours is a /4.

As for what you fill those flares with - I suggest that you be wary of having too much tire &/or unsprung weight on a +/- 80-110 HP /4, unless your motor has been built up with a lot more HP/TQ.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cracker
You are not THAT far from Kent...Billy did a great job on his! Get my drift? poke.gif

Tony

Tom T. - Although all of these type things are a matter of taste and highly subjective - what isn't is what Porsche choose to do, and how. beerchug.gif

I personally do not care for the subtle, non-flare but flared look...just me. I CAN, however appreciate someone else appreciating that style more. Good thoughts and ideas. Cheers!

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 7 2016, 11:44 AM) *

Just do it.
db9146
These flares were created by slicing and adding in a bit of metal and then finishing them inside and out. I can get 9x16 Fuchs under them.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(db9146 @ Aug 7 2016, 07:12 PM) *

These flares were created by slicing and adding in a bit of metal and then finishing them inside and out. I can get 9x16 Fuchs under them.

If you do a search here there is a way to do this just banging it out by hanging a big purse filled with sand over the fender.
No cutting needed.
smash.gif
87m491
You can tell by his engine shot and his sig there is a stout 6 cyl in there. I'm sure it will handle the added flare weight just fine....

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 7 2016, 09:01 AM) *

If you do go factory GT flare, then do them properly with the steel ones welded in - even if yours is a /4.

As for what you fill those flares with - I suggest that you be wary of having too much tire &/or unsprung weight on a +/- 80-110 HP /4, unless your motor has been built up with a lot more HP/TQ.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

mepstein
If you stick with Fuchs the 7 & 8's will weigh significantly less than stock steel 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 wheels.
Cracker
Nicely done.

T

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 7 2016, 07:31 PM) *

QUOTE(db9146 @ Aug 7 2016, 07:12 PM) *

If you do a search here there is a way to do this just banging it out by hanging a big purse filled with sand over the fender.
No cutting needed.
smash.gif

My 914
That's a nice look, subtle but distinct. The wheels and tires complement the car perfectly.
JRust
I love the GT flares but they are much more common now. Look into CFR custom ones. They are more subtle. I really love the custom flares done by people.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 7 2016, 06:59 PM) *

I love the GT flares but they are much more common now. Look into CFR custom ones. They are more subtle. I really love the custom flares done by people.

That is why I sold my flares. I like flared cars, but they are becoming more the norm than the exception on six conversions. I decided to keep my car narrow and try to squeeze 16x8 951 Fuchs in the rear with 225/50s. I haven't started on this yet, so we will see how it goes.
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
Krieger
Live your dream! Go steel and have them welded on. Fiberglass is good for some people. I did glass for my track car.
Larmo63
agree.gif

Go big or go home.
sixnotfour
Haters........10 up front 12 rear german steel flairs..
Cracker
LOL. agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

T

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 8 2016, 11:39 AM) *

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 8 2016, 12:33 AM) *

agree.gif

Go big or go home.

HEY!!! That's my line!

chair.gif

db9146
"If you do a search here there is a way to do this just banging it out by hanging a big purse filled with sand over the fender.
No cutting needed."

Mark, it is subtle in these photos but I can tell you that it's not practical to try to "beat out" the fenders as much as they are. It really does take adding some metal to do it right.

I have been tempted to go back and try to flare the front somewhat just by stretching the metal but I haven't yet. Subtle flares on the front as well would be nice.
ben*james
Well - I'm very thankful for the comments you all have made. Keep them coming.

I'll try to expand on my vision, means, timeline...

- Yes, 'I gotta go wide?' is a rhetorical question. But, how I should do it requires some feedback. I could use help!

- My skill level; on a scale of 1 - 10. I'm a 0. This isn't something I want to touch at all. I'll call myself a visionary for my ego sake but this is WAY beyond my pay grade.

-Time Frame; it's a lifetime dream and I'm 43 years old. If it takes a year I wouldn't be remorseful.

-Budget; OK, here's the deal. As long as you don't tell my wife... I'm pretty much good to go to get the job done. Now, that being said. I'll shop around and make sure I'm getting a good deal. But bottom line I'll pay what it takes.

-Type of flare; I'm feeling like Steel is the way to go.

-How Wide?; factory specs for a GT. See purist below.

-Purist?; Not at all. Yet, I've seen enough flares to realize that for some reason the factory GT look sits well in my eyes. If they did it wrong or right is all in the eye of the beholder. I'm for whatever reason drawn to the factory look.

-Current car or switch out; Sounds like I'd be better off keeping my current car and modifying. I'll probably post an add on the classifieds just to see if some teener is sitting around with a flared 914 wishing he had a narrow body. Boy...wouldn't that be cool!

-I've got limited space in the garage. Two isn't possible. It's not like I have other toys. I'm not really a car guy or even a Porsche guy. I'm just a 914 guy since I was 18.

-for those not a fan of the GT look; I get it. It's the in thing. It's like being a Lady Gaga fan. You love it but can't help it. Let's face it, the heart wants what the heart wants. That being said, I appreciate the narrow body and all other versions of the 914. But, I gotta have GT at least for some part of my life.

So, where I'm left now is; where do I go and who can assist me in this project? Closer to PDX the better, but I'd be willing to travel if need be.

Thank you again wonderful community!

-
Cracker
Well said - you'll love them. Good for you - what fun?!?

T

QUOTE(ben*james @ Aug 8 2016, 10:54 PM) *

Well - I'm very thankful for the comments you all have made. Keep them coming.

I'll try to expand on my vision, means, timeline...

- Yes, 'I gotta go wide?' is a rhetorical question. But, how I should do it requires some feedback. I could use help!

- My skill level; on a scale of 1 - 10. I'm a 0. This isn't something I want to touch at all. I'll call myself a visionary for my ego sake but this is WAY beyond my pay grade.

-Time Frame; it's a lifetime dream and I'm 43 years old. If it takes a year I wouldn't be remorseful.

-Budget; OK, here's the deal. As long as you don't tell my wife... I'm pretty much good to go to get the job done. Now, that being said. I'll shop around and make sure I'm getting a good deal. But bottom line I'll pay what it takes.

-Type of flare; I'm feeling like Steel is the way to go.

-How Wide?; factory specs for a GT. See purist below.

-Purist?; Not at all. Yet, I've seen enough flares to realize that for some reason the factory GT look sits well in my eyes. If they did it wrong or right is all in the eye of the beholder. I'm for whatever reason drawn to the factory look.

-Current car or switch out; Sounds like I'd be better off keeping my current car and modifying. I'll probably post an add on the classifieds just to see if some teener is sitting around with a flared 914 wishing he had a narrow body. Boy...wouldn't that be cool!

-I've got limited space in the garage. Two isn't possible. It's not like I have other toys. I'm not really a car guy or even a Porsche guy. I'm just a 914 guy since I was 18.

-for those not a fan of the GT look; I get it. It's the in thing. It's like being a Lady Gaga fan. You love it but can't help it. Let's face it, the heart wants what the heart wants. That being said, I appreciate the narrow body and all other versions of the 914. But, I gotta have GT at least for some part of my life.

So, where I'm left now is; where do I go and who can assist me in this project? Closer to PDX the better, but I'd be willing to travel if need be.

Thank you again wonderful community!

-

ben*james
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Aug 8 2016, 08:02 PM) *

Yes, I guess that's it. I love the GT flare look!
JRust
I am not sure if Jerry Mahoney is still doing body work & paint. He did the flares on my v8 car. I'd say look him up to see. He is JMMotorsports on the world. He did have a stroke a while back sad.gif & just not sure where he is at with his recovery
sixnotfour
9.5 and 10.5 911 rsr style fenders sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
sixnotfour
914 fender tip outs 7/8s
sixnotfour
Cary.....old rookie learning fast. going pro... I bet he would love to fuch up your narrow body into some muscle biatch... sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=1608

Get Deep
ben*james
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 9 2016, 07:43 AM) *

Cary.....old rookie learning fast. going pro... I bet he would love to fuch up your narrow body into some muscle biatch... sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=1608

I'll send him a PM.
jmitro
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 8 2016, 11:36 PM) *

9.5 and 10.5 911 rsr style fenders sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

That looks great! are those fiberglass or steel? That must have required a ton of custom work.

I personally like the GT flares and am currently welding them onto my project.
ben*james
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 8 2016, 08:12 PM) *

I am not sure if Jerry Mahoney is still doing body work & paint. He did the flares on my v8 car. I'd say look him up to see. He is JMMotorsports on the world. He did have a stroke a while back sad.gif & just not sure where he is at with his recovery

BTW - Happy birthday ole bean!

Mark Henry
If you want to see flares done right here's the thread shades.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=194009
mepstein
QUOTE(ben*james @ Aug 8 2016, 11:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Aug 8 2016, 08:02 PM) *

Yes, I guess that's it. I love the GT flare look!

I know what you mean. Always liked the look of the 914. Then I saw a flared 6. That has stuck I my mind as the car I always wanted.
Ferg
idea.gif I like the idea of the removable glass flares like Scott's Martini car had. I always thought they looked nice especially on a white car.

My 914
I agree. I remember the first time I saw a 914-GT years ago and thought; "that's what a 914 should look like!" and have been stuck on that idea ever since.

If you feel that the one thing missing on your current car is the flares, I say put them on and enjoy it. The only regret you will ever have is not doing it.
sixnotfour
roll fatties

15x9 245/50-15 tight on standard GT flairs .get your tires wheels first..
whitetwinturbo

Best of luck!

Tony

STEEL
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

WOW..........Tony, love that wing. How can I get one?
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 8 2016, 08:39 AM) *

LOVE wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
whitetwinturbo

Best of luck!

Tony

STEEL
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tony!

That wing.........cool. Where can I get one?
Cracker
http://g-stream.com/

[quote name='whitetwinturbo' date='Aug 11 2016, 01:06 AM' post='2383512'

That wing.........cool. Where can I get one?

[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.