here is the area that the Karmann badge would be attached
Click to view attachment

from the back side you can see there were never holes to mount the badge
this is consistent with 914 043 0011
Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
popcorn[1].gif
sixnotfour
Glenn your forgetting on sixes the only info on the pillar badge is the paint code.. scrape away in the trunk..we want to know ########
porbmw
Nice!
Thanks for sharing!
Made my rather dull day MUCH more interesting.
Paul
gms
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 18 2016, 07:25 AM) *

Glenn your forgetting on sixes the only info on the pillar badge is the paint code.. scrape away in the trunk..we want to know ########

Nope didn't forget, I was just pointing out that this car never had a Karmann badge.
but the nicest parts of the paint job is in the trunk.
notice how they did not use seam sealer also the wiring harness clips are on the passenger side going back to the tail lights, this is all consistent with 914 043 0011
Click to view attachment
gms
a huge safety concern is the 47 year old fuel lines so they will be replaced with stainless steel.
Click to view attachment

fuel tank removed
Click to view attachment
gms
My good friend Mark Kinnaman has been helping out, here he is installing a new rear seal on the engine. Notice I pulled the Marelli distributor, i prefer the Bosch unit.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Vapor_locked
That is awesome Glenn! Very cool to see those differences in assembly procedures, I love automotive archaeology!

Keep up the good work!!! smilie_pokal.gif
Scott S
headbang.gif
I cant believe I am just now realizing that GMS is "the" Glenn S. you are one of the pioneers in the 914 hobby!

Glenn, am I correct in that I remember this car being discussed on the original 914 Renegade site that pre-dated even Pelican? Like 1995-96? I think I have a pic saved on an old hard drive recently after the car was painted red. That car was the only reason I kept the 916 bumpers on my old car, as yours was the only one that had them where they looked good.

Very very cool!

beerchug.gif

Scott S
Chris H.
Is this door catch a different shape or is it the picture? I know the bolt is probably temporary.... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

gms
QUOTE(Scott S @ Aug 18 2016, 03:41 PM) *

headbang.gif
I cant believe I am just now realizing that GMS is "the" Glenn S. you are one of the pioneers in the 914 hobby!

Glenn, am I correct in that I remember this car being discussed on the original 914 Renegade site that pre-dated even Pelican? Like 1995-96? I think I have a pic saved on an old hard drive recently after the car was painted red. That car was the only reason I kept the 916 bumpers on my old car, as yours was the only one that had them where they looked good.

Very very cool!

beerchug.gif

Scott S

thanks for the kind words Scott, I am about to disappoint you and change the 916 bumpers
gms
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 18 2016, 04:56 PM) *

Is this door catch a different shape or is it the picture? I know the bolt is probably temporary.... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Hi Chris!
it is just the picture that makes them look different, I forgot about that bolt haha
larryM
this is a nice thread, Glenn!!

hurrah!

it's all uphill from here

Glenn wrote:
"I was just pointing out that this car never had a Karmann badge." "from the back side you can see there were never holes to mount the badge, this is consistent with 914 043 0011"

- that is also consistent with my 0919 - which incidentally, has no trunk stamp either (at least none i can find evidence of, tho i never stripped out the oem paint) - per Dworazik, 0919 was built on a fresh non-production shell prior to being "stamped" in the way that production line cars were done

it wold be interesting to know if 0012 has the vin tab/stamp up under the dash above the ashtray slot
( i had one six that did have it there; mine does not - same "fresh shell" reason as noted above) (it's a bitch to see it! - much less to photograph)

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 18 2016, 05:25 AM) *

larryM
[quote name='anderssj' date='Aug 13 2016, 04:39 AM' post='2384395']

I like the foglights (Cibie?)--and chance of a couple close-ups of the mounting?

[/quote]

likely Cibie mini-oscars - the tail mounting location is correct - pictures

the Pallas-Marchal (which are on my 9140430919 & 911s & Citroen) had a different mounting setup in mid-shell - for mounting on the hood - - (i spent a lot of time researching them last year at Rennsport) - 3rd picture -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
gms
Finally had a chance to give the car a much needed washing
Click to view attachment
gms
while I had the gas tank out to install stainless steel fuel lines I took a picture of the wash bottle mounting bracket which is different than production units, notice it has no bend in it.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
the air vents are made of a different material than the stock units, maybe fiberglass?
Click to view attachment
gms
the washer bottle is different
Click to view attachment

It has a block nipple cap (left)
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
popcorn[1].gif
gms
Mike Fitton found this beautiful Blaupunkt Köln which is what the car came with.
This will be installed later
Click to view attachment
gms
The oil tank is installed and secured, I decided to go with the wide mouth oil filler neck (still need to add rubber sleeve).
Click to view attachment

The fan shroud and intake manifolds are installed, I am just going to throw together a wiring harness for the engine.
Click to view attachment
mb911
Looking good.. My conversion isn't even that far but this heatexchanger thing is got me side tracked.
gms
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 24 2016, 12:38 PM) *

Looking good...

Thanks Ben
gms
Yesterday was carburetor day, I spend a lot of time finding and cleaning the parts.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
Ooo la la!
twash
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 25 2016, 08:47 AM) *

Ooo la la!

lets get to the real meat, fenders on first 52 cars are different, no gasket in fender, use the dime test, first 25 bodies were different from regular production bodies( mounting holes, 914-8 used the early bodies, since they were development car no serial number in trunk. 911 ids used on early cars but using 914#'s, steel id plate, not alu. from owner 0011, show some pics of the fender and door jam area,
twash
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 12 2016, 09:47 PM) *

What year and what month was that built ??

build date for 0012 is about sept 1969 as 0011 was shown in October 1969 Boston auto show as a driving car
gms
QUOTE(twash @ Aug 25 2016, 06:11 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 12 2016, 09:47 PM) *

What year and what month was that built ??

build date for 0012 is about sept 1969 as 0011 was shown in October 1969 Boston auto show as a driving car

Thanks for stopping by Tony (owner of #11)
gms
yesterday I mounted the carburetors and linkage
Click to view attachment

New serrated belleville washers and socket cap screws also fresh CV grease
Click to view attachment

I will be using my Road America race transaxle for now, it has gearing that will work on the street
Click to view attachment
gms
yesterday I mated the engine and transaxle, need to do a couple detail items then up into the chassis it goes. Big thanks to Mark Kinnaman who has been helping with the pesky problems that keep coming up.
Click to view attachment
gms
the drivers seat bracket is different on the early 914 (both 4 and 6) up until about January 1970 from what I have seen. the adjustment handle is straight the later version has additional bends.
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
just curious, how nice or not is the flair install from the back side ?
gms
another interesting addition is the fanfare horns
Click to view attachment
gms
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 27 2016, 08:22 AM) *

just curious, how nice or not is the flair install from the back side ?

like this
Click to view attachment
gms
The car was sent to Porsche development, the earliest owner I can find said the factory installed the flares.
Click to view attachment
gms
The clips that held the carpet over the fuel tank are still present. #11 still had the carpet when Tony bought the car.
Click to view attachment

This is a picture from the 1969 Frankfurt car show where the 914 was introduced.
there is a strong possibility that the silver 914/6 was #12
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 27 2016, 08:52 AM) *

The clips that held the carpet over the fuel tank are still present. #11 still had the carpet when Tony bought the car.

This is a picture from the 1969 Frankfurt car show where the 914 was introduced.
there is a strong possibility that the silver 914/6 was #12

I really like that look. I wonder about the material and it's backing. It looks pretty flat. Maybe it had a backer board and not just carpet material.
gms
had a short day today, Kinnaman and I were able to get the engine installed, still need to connect oil fuel and electric
Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 27 2016, 04:38 PM) *

had a short day today, Kinnaman and I were able to get the engine installed, still need to connect oil fuel and electric
Click to view attachment

aktion035.gif
gms
Today I first installed the exhaust and then I worked on the wiring.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
pete000
I like the vented rear disc upgrade !

Chris H.
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 27 2016, 08:33 AM) *

The car was sent to Porsche development, the earliest owner I can find said the factory installed the flares.
Click to view attachment

That is the most bad ass 914 Cardex for any car that is not in a museum. Do we have a "drop the mic" emoticon.... biggrin.gif? Awesome Glenn.

Glad you have it. Have fun with it.
gms
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 31 2016, 09:17 AM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Aug 27 2016, 08:33 AM) *

That is the most bad ass 914 Cardex for any car that is not in a museum. Do we have a "drop the mic" emoticon.... biggrin.gif? Awesome Glenn.

Glad you have it. Have fun with it.

It is always exciting to find out new information but very disappointing how little documentation is left at the factory about the 914s. When I visited the archive in 1997 I left them more 914/6 GT information than I found there.
Chris H.
True, true. Lot of blanks on those forms which make restorations a challenge in many cases. But yours says PORSCHE FACTORY USE! Way cool. Seems very likely it's the one in the photos. What a journey it's had!
gms
I feel confident that the engine 640 0012 and the transaxle 750 0014 are the originals
gms
original transaxle has gears
A-GA-M-S-X

gms
I also found a number 11 stamped just forward of the VIN and in each door
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
the VIN plate is the large steel one, this is consistent with #11
Click to view attachment
gms
When I went to look at the car to buy it these speaker grills were the first thing I saw that was not typical production.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
the center visor bracket is also unique, the bracket is solid and the posts are splined on the end.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.