Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914.043.0012
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
gms
I finally have some time to pull old #12 out of storage and throw a (non-matching) engine and trans into her and do some driving
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
gms
Brought her over to Mark Kinnaman's shop where the lift makes the work a lot easier
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
DavidSweden
NICE

Any more pics?
gms
I am going to throw this fire breathing 110 HP 911 T motor in the car, should keep me out of trouble biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Vapor_locked
Awesome!!!! smilie_pokal.gif popcorn[1].gif
11tenths
Are those snow tires?
gms
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Aug 12 2016, 03:55 PM) *

NICE

Any more pics?

I will add more pictures as I go and also add some pictures of the unique features of this semi-prototype car.
gms
QUOTE(11tenths @ Aug 12 2016, 04:00 PM) *

Are those snow tires?

yes they are...I live in IL
GeorgeRud
Be careful with all that power!
gms
here is the earliest picture I have of the car, it was taken in 1973 or 74
It was originally silver, you can see how someone cut the original European "914-6" badge undoubtedly to remove the VW
Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
My wife said if I drooled over her like I do pictures of 914s I might get lucky more often. By the way the wrong answer to that is " If you were a 6 I would".

Wow I love that car great to see it going again.
Vapor_locked
Hey, we get lots of snow in the chicago area, he's just being safe & practical confused24.gif
gms
In 1990 the former owner stripped the car and painted it guards red
He did a mediocre paint job so I am not afraid of ruining the paint job
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
Fun fact: #12 was the first six I ever drove! Thanks for that Glenn, I'll never forget it. :-)

Happy to see it come out of retirement.

driving.gif
ClayPerrine
I have a real six motor if you are interested. It is disassembled for rebuild.

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 12 2016, 03:49 PM) *

Finally has some time to pull old #12 out of storage and throw a (non-matching) engine and trans into her and do some driving

I haven't seen old #12 in years. Glad you are getting him back on the road w00t.gif
gms
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 12 2016, 05:32 PM) *

Fun fact: #12 was the first six I ever drove! Thanks for that Glenn, I'll never forget it. :-)

Happy to see it come out of retirement.

driving.gif

good times
beer3.gif
Click to view attachment
gms
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 12 2016, 07:12 PM) *

I haven't seen old #12 in years. Glad you are getting him back on the road w00t.gif

Sadly she will not be ready tomorrow
mb911
Very cool.. A little bit more sound then my car. Nice to see.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 12 2016, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 12 2016, 07:12 PM) *

Sadly she will not be ready tomorrow

dry.gif come on man. You still have over 12hrs to get him ready. laugh.gif
whitetwinturbo
smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
pete000
What year and what month was that built ??

rgalla9146

Is the other guy someone here ?
anderssj
Nice car--good that you're bringing it back to life!

I like the foglights (Cibie?)--and chance of a couple close-ups of the mounting?

Thanks--looking forward to following your progress!
EdwardBlume
Way cool. The right car in the right hands. smilie_pokal.gif
sixnotfour
The last time I saw that six was in your driveway,,98 ???
gms
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 12 2016, 11:47 PM) *

What year and what month was that built ??

I cannot put an exact date but I can say it was no earlier than July 1969
gms
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 13 2016, 06:23 AM) *

Is the other guy someone here ?

It is Randy Wentzel
gms
QUOTE(anderssj @ Aug 13 2016, 06:39 AM) *

Nice car--good that you're bringing it back to life!

I like the foglights (Cibie?)--and chance of a couple close-ups of the mounting?

Thanks--looking forward to following your progress!

The mounting brackets look hand made, i took pictures of them years ago
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 13 2016, 06:45 AM) *

The last time I saw that six was in your driveway,,98 ???

yup it was about a month or so before 50th Anniversary of Porsche at Monterey.
you also brought me some GT parts
gms
When I bought the car I didn't know it had the original engine because the serial number is on the fan housing support like the 911.
Now it just sits on a shelf, I don't want to harm this case.
Larmo63
You "old timers" seem to know a lot about this car. I'd like to know some of the history on it and why, if you do have the correct motor for it, you wouldn't just build that and put it in the car?

Inquiring minds want to know…... blink.gif
gms
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 14 2016, 10:12 AM) *

You "old timers" seem to know a lot about this car. I'd like to know some of the history on it and why, if you do have the correct motor for it, you wouldn't just build that and put it in the car?

Inquiring minds want to know…... blink.gif

because if for some reason the original engine becomes unusable the value of the car is significantly reduced. when I bought the car I put a 2.2 L E spec motor in the car because it gave it more scoot, now I am protecting my investment. Wisdom you gain when you are an "old timer"
Vapor_locked
I wouldn't put it back in either glenn, it would get rebuilt, storage prepped, and put away for a long, safe sleep!
gandalf_025
I agree.. Too much risk in damaging the original engine..
The added value of a matching numbers car can't be dismissed lightly.

I wouldn't rebuild it just to keep it sitting though..
As long as it is turned over with a wrench on the crank bolt every now and then..
I'd pour mystery oil in the plug holes, oil the hell out of the linkages and leave
it for the next owner to deal with.

sixnotfour
2.0 roll the cobwebs out of it... driving.gif

Vapor_locked
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Aug 14 2016, 10:57 AM) *
As long as it is turned over with a wrench on the crank bolt every now and then..
I'd pour mystery oil in the plug holes, oil the hell out of the linkages and leave

Knowing that we are but temporary stewards of these pieces of history & depending on what the state of your wallet & amount of other projects you have is, I do actually agree with you! If i were the next guy, just knowing that the original engine came with it, i wouldnt care either way!
morgan_harwell
>>I am going to throw this fire breathing 110 HP 911 T motor in the car, should keep me out of trouble <<

Those 911-T engines are excellent for street driving 914s, IMHE smile.gif

I installed a 2.4L-T CIS engine in my 914 28 years ago, and that engine is still in the car today. It is a blast to drive and is very reliable. Hop in, turn the key, Neet Neet VROOOM! I drive it all the time, to work etc.. It keeps up with traffic no problem.

The 2.4L had ~90K miles on it when I bought/installed it. I drive it ~5-7K miles a year. Only major work done on the engine since has been a valve job. Other than that, just tune-ups, seal replacements, and a couple of alternators.
Mike D.
So wait, I'm putting an original (slightly modified) 914-6 engine in my converted '74. Is the engine worth more than the car? smile.gif
Larmo63
I'd like to know the history of the car, it sounds interesting…..
mbseto
I'd like to reach a point someday where I can say, I'm going to take this car out of mothballs, throw an engine in it and drive around.
gms
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Aug 15 2016, 02:16 PM) *

So wait, I'm putting an original (slightly modified) 914-6 engine in my converted '74. Is the engine worth more than the car? smile.gif

If you find the original car it might be
gms
waxed up the oil tank
Click to view attachment

painted the engine mount
Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
Looks good Glenn!
mangrum
First off, I mean no disrespect so I hope none is taken...

I think the car and the marque deserve the car to be restored. There is risk in the approach the owner is taking unless all mechanicals are brought up to snuff. Even so, fires, accidents, etc. can happen. Then what do you have? An engine with no matching car.

If funds are not available to restore the car (I know I couldn't afford it by a long shot) then maybe the car should go to someone who can afford it and appreciates the cars significance. I would assume the owner would make a pretty penny from such a sale?

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Aug 14 2016, 11:57 AM) *

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Aug 15 2016, 03:16 PM) *

Maybe, if you can find the car it belongs to.
gms
QUOTE(mangrum @ Aug 16 2016, 11:58 AM) *

First off, I mean no disrespect so I hope none is taken...

I think the car and the marque deserve the car to be restored. There is risk in the approach the owner is taking unless all mechanicals are brought up to snuff. Even so, fires, accidents, etc. can happen. Then what do you have? An engine with no matching car.

If funds are not available to restore the car (I know I couldn't afford it by a long shot) then maybe the car should go to someone who can afford it and appreciates the cars significance. I would assume the owner would make a pretty penny from such a sale?

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Aug 14 2016, 11:57 AM) *

Thank you for your concern but I am not ready to sell the car and second when it gets restored I will be the one who does it.

The car is not falling apart nor neglected to the point that its structural integrity is in jeopardy it just has a 26 year old paint job.

#12 will be prepared as well as my racecar that I take wheel to wheel racing, in other words I can prepare a car well enough to bet my life on it performing properly.

If #12 is totally trashed or burned beyond repair then there will just be another 914/6 engine and transmission wondering the world without its original car...better than a chassis without its original engine and trans in my opinion.
gms
off the engine stand after valves have been adjusted and oil seals have been replaced.
Click to view attachment
gms
So a German friend who can get information researched the Karmann number for the first production 914-6s and this is what he found:
914 043 0012 - Karmann number 130 009
914 043 0011 - Karmann number 130 010
914 043 0013 - Karmann number 130 011
That means you have the 914/6 production car with the lowest Karmann # !

I really want to strip the rear trunk and see if I can find a number, there is no Karmann badge in the driver door jam.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.