Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8/Subie and Automatic tranny suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
RacingDreamz
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Oct 25 2016, 12:30 AM) *

I still know where that FWD auto trans is out of the SVX. Needs new bands, but from what I understand, they're easy to rebuild.

George, I may be in touch with you about that. Thanks smile.gif
Mike Bellis
944 distributor sticks out in the front of the motor. You would need a wasted spark setup or the cap and rotor will be part of the passenger seat.

Buy a VW passat V6 or I4 with an auto tranny. Easy fit and is still German. You will want a 1999 to 2002 year.
RacingDreamz
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 25 2016, 12:54 AM) *

944 distributor sticks out in the front of the motor. You would need a wasted spark setup or the cap and rotor will be part of the passenger seat.

Buy a VW passat V6 or I4 with an auto tranny. Easy fit and is still German. You will want a 1999 to 2002 year.

Mike, I forgot all about that. Thanks for reminding me. I should have known that. I just sold one. DOH!!

On the VW, how bad would the wiring be? Turbo or non?
mgp4591
QUOTE(RacingDreamz @ Sep 3 2016, 10:14 PM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Sep 3 2016, 11:55 PM) *

I pulled the SVX trans out of an AWD car and converted it to FWD only. I have some measuring to do at RRC to finalize my dimensions for my EG33 swap. Currently the car in on a new rotisserie with me installing the new floor pans and the other needed reinforcements to make it solid enough to handle the power. I'll post my findings after this next weekend but I agree that the Subie/auto trans swap is probably the easiest and less expensive way to go.

Thanks. Looking forward to your notes. smile.gif

I ended up taking the whole month of September off and traveling around the East Coast and surrounding areas, including Octeenerfest and one of my girls getting married. It took a bit longer to get the car up on the rotisserie but the EG33 (SVX) plus the auto trans is roughly 53 inches in length total once the trans was converted to 2wd. There's room for it all but if you go with the 4 banger, you'll still have plenty of power (especially if it's turboed!) and the whole assembly will save you about 6 inches I believe. Good luck!
Cracker
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 2 2016, 02:56 PM) *

The smartest and easiest choice would be a Subaru n/a 6 cylinder with mating automatic transmission from the same car.

No silly engine adapters or special flywheels/flex plates.

Plenty of power, no need for the bragging rights just to say you have V8 as much as I like some of those conversions.

agree.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(RacingDreamz @ Oct 25 2016, 12:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 25 2016, 12:54 AM) *

Mike, I forgot all about that. Thanks for reminding me. I should have known that. I just sold one. DOH!!

On the VW, how bad would the wiring be? Turbo or non?

For simplicity I suggest a v6. Plumbing an intercooler with the turbo gets a little difficult. Also the v6 sounds really good.

If you have a donor car wiring wont be to bad as you would run that cars wiring harness and get rid of anything you wont use. If not it will be extremely difficult.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.