Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8/Subie and Automatic tranny suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
RacingDreamz
Sorry to rehash old threads again, but we're about to embark on this project soon, I hope. We're looking at possibly either a, turbo'd 2.0 Type 4, Subaru or SBC v8 and an automatic transmission(for the veterans). My question, what transmission would work. I've read that Auto(fwd or 5000 model) will work. Passat trannys are the same as Boxsters, and Subaru fwd trannys.
Any suggestions or recommendations? We hope to do this over the winter.
We'd appreciate any suggestions to help us finally get this done. Thanks smile.gif
cali914
QUOTE(RacingDreamz @ Sep 2 2016, 12:10 AM) *

Sorry to rehash old threads again, but we're about to embark on this project soon, I hope. We're looking at possibly either a, turbo'd 2.0 Type 4, Subaru or SBC v8 and an automatic transmission(for the veterans). My question, what transmission would work. I've read that Auto(fwd or 5000 model) will work. Passat trannys are the same as Boxsters, and Subaru fwd trannys.
We'd appreciate any suggestions to help us finally get this done. Thanks smile.gif
. I heard GM makes a auto in one of their front wheel drive v8 cars, I would try and slam the whole shabang engine and tranny mounted transverse in the back of the 914. could be interesting little project. Good Luck
Chris H.
QUOTE(cali914 @ Sep 2 2016, 09:09 AM) *

. I heard GM makes a auto in one of their front wheel drive v8 cars, I would try and slam the whole shabang engine and tranny mounted transverse in the back of the 914. could be interesting little project. Good Luck

That would be a huge undertaking and the whole rear trunk would be sacrificed. Great idea though (not being sarcastic, I WISH that was an easy swap)

For a V8 or Type 4 you can use a Passat or audi FWD auto trans and get an adapter plate for it. Kennedy Engineering Products could make you one. Mueller made or is making one for his Type 4/Audi manual trans car but he may or may not be making more. Check with him and see. He makes good stuff so it would be high quality. No need to go all the way back to Audi 5000. That's too old. I think Mike Bellis was using a 2000 ish Passat trans first (which is actually an Audi trans).

Subie you can find an older front wheel drive trans (pre-1996) and use that. Bolts right up. You might have to beef it up for a turbo application. I would consider an EZ30 6 as well. Or an EG33 if you can find one. Plenty fast.
Chris914n6
For an auto trans you want to keep it in the same family. Most logical is the VW/Audi 1.8t, or the 2.0t with the PDK. The v6 is huge and I don't think it would fit without a hammer.
I don't know if the couplers also work for the Subaru autos, but the old 2wd autos were attached to 100hp motors.
Dave_Darling
Keep in mind that modern auto trannies are computer controlled by the engine management system, and may require a lot more inputs than you have available in a swap. The old transmissions are the easiest in part because they are pretty self-contained.

Or heck, just find an Olds Toronado drivetrain and call it good?

--DD
Mike Bellis
Audi FWD automatic trannies are rare in the US. Much more common in Europe. The Passat version however is very common and basically identical. The Audi and Passat have a TCM (transmission control module) that would need to be incorporated some how but I'm not sure how if used with another engine. The easiest way to do this conversion would be to find a whole car Audi A4 or Passat FWD and use everything from the donor vehicle. You will want the shifter too since it is setup to control the triptronic shifting.

I may do one of these conversions someday. It would be nice to have an automatic for cruising. BTW, and Audi V6 or V8 should bolt right up to this tranny as well...
Andyrew
This is not a winter type project.... there is an extreme. Amount of work involved here.

My suggestion is either hack up the whole rear of the car and put a carbed olds toronado setup back there, find a subaru FWD auto setup and put everything in. Or find a VW passat FWD setup and put everything in.

Your limitations on automatics are going to be pushing beyond factory hp will either blow the trani or will require an expensive build on the trans and wont be guaranteed to work. I suggest running close to stock power. My preference would be a subaru fwd for fit or audi 2.8v6 for more tech and a killer sound.
zach914v8
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 2 2016, 12:27 PM) *

This is not a winter type project.... there is an extreme. Amount of work involved here.

My suggestion is either hack up the whole rear of the car and put a carbed olds toronado setup back there, find a subaru FWD auto setup and put everything in. Or find a VW passat FWD setup and put everything in.

Your limitations on automatics are going to be pushing beyond factory hp will either blow the trani or will require an expensive build on the trans and wont be guaranteed to work. I suggest running close to stock power. My preference would be a subaru fwd for fit or audi 2.8v6 for more tech and a killer sound.

GM TURBO 425 out of a 70's era Eldorado. It's is mega heavy but is bullet proof, and you could bolt a big block to it. It would probably pop wheelies, and that would be super sick!
Mike Bellis
Toronado tranny is transverse and would mount the motor sideways...
falcor75
Theres a guy in Denmark making a box so that you can run a Mercedes/996 tiptronic box as a standalone unit connected to whatever engine you want. Theres a guy here in Sweden running one connected to a TDI engine in his old VW Buss.

http://boxerville.se/forum/viewtopic.php?id=42970 (in swedish)

https://ofgear.dk/index.html

zach914v8
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 2 2016, 12:58 PM) *

Toronado tranny is transverse and would mount the motor sideways...

Are you talking about the th425 or th325? It keeps the motor inline has a diff under the engine.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
zach914v8
here is a th425 in a fiero...

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
I guess you are right. I have seen it mounted transverse in a 914. possibly a different transmission... But in this case, it puts the axles in the wrong location so the engine would need to sit in the rear trunk.

IPB Image
zipedadoo
What about a Fiero trans axle? I have seen v8's in Fieros with the manual transmission don't know if anyone has done one with a automatic. I'd guess it would all fit in a 914????
jd74914
I believe the controllers for newer Subaru automatics are relatively decoupled from the engine and chassis controllers which would make them easier to swap. One of those coupled with it's factory motor might not be too bad. It really comes down to how hard it is to remove the RWD portion.

Alternatively, you can also run an ECU which has the capability for automatic transmission control. I believe MegaSquirt has a standalone unit for AT control and some others (Syvecs, MoTeC) have all of the controls for the transmission pumps, etc. built in. Of course tuning drive-ability is another story...
Mueller
The smartest and easiest choice would be a Subaru n/a 6 cylinder with mating automatic transmission from the same car.

No silly engine adapters or special flywheels/flex plates.

Plenty of power, no need for the bragging rights just to say you have V8 as much as I like some of those conversions.

zach914v8
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 2 2016, 01:18 PM) *

I guess you are right. I have seen it mounted transverse in a 914. possibly a different transmission... But in this case, it puts the axles in the wrong location so the engine would need to sit in the rear trunk.

IPB Image

On the th425 and maybe even the th325you can flip the diff upside down. then run the engine facing the rear. that would put the axles in the correct spot. If you wanted to get fancy with it you could install a tail housing from a th400 and run a short drive shaft to a 4x4 front diff or flip rwd upside down and seal vent hole.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Sep 2 2016, 12:00 PM) *

IPB Image

On the th425 and maybe even the th325you can flip the diff upside down. then run the engine facing the rear. that would put the axles in the correct spot. If you wanted to get fancy with it you could install a tail housing from a th400 and run a short drive shaft to a 4x4 front diff or flip rwd upside down and seal vent hole.

Still not in the correct spot but closer. Still need to chop out the trunk.

Mueller has the winning idea. Subaru 6 from an SVX FWD. Just need motor mounts and axles. Wire it up and go.
Chris H.
QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Sep 2 2016, 01:14 PM) *

here is a th425 in a fiero...

Click to view attachment

That's an unusual swap. The Fiero trans is transversely mounted in stock form. There is a tiny, very deep trunk at the rear that has been cut out of that car. I know because I.... Cough..cough... ownedafierogtonce hide.gif What? Nothing. Let's move on.

You JUST MISSED ThePaintedMan's SVX trans... he sold it with the car I think. It was FWD. Rare bird.
Mike Bellis
Not exactly a donor car, but this is what you need to find...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-SVX-L-/1723...em=172324219259
zach914v8
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 2 2016, 03:00 PM) *

QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Sep 2 2016, 12:00 PM) *

IPB Image

Still not in the correct spot but closer. Still need to chop out the trunk.

Mueller has the winning idea. Subaru 6 from an SVX FWD. Just need motor mounts and axles. Wire it up and go.

I agree with you, the only reason I would ever consider using a GM trans would be for drag racing. The th425 weights something like 550lbs. It would take all the fun of driving the 914 away. Subaru 6 from an SVX FWD sounds good, if you want a Subaru. Another option would be a Chrysler 300m.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
If you don't already have good fab skills and a clear idea of what you want to build, your probably better off buying a Boxter.
Andyrew
Now that is an interesting option. Could easily grab the v8 for that and have it all as one setup.

With how far forward those shafts are that engine would need to be set pretty far back.

Which might be just to much weight rearward... In that case a compact v6 might make more sense, probably have more than enough room in front of the engine to put a radiator as well and you would then have a full front trunk while probably removing half the rear trunk.

I like this option smile.gif
Mike Bellis
You can see here where the axle output shaft is. almost dead center under the engine. I think you should turn this sideways and use it as a transfer case for a 4x4 914.

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
nuther...

zach914v8
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 2 2016, 04:14 PM) *

Now that is an interesting option. Could easily grab the v8 for that and have it all as one setup.

With how far forward those shafts are that engine would need to be set pretty far back.

Which might be just to much weight rearward... In that case a compact v6 might make more sense, probably have more than enough room in front of the engine to put a radiator as well and you would then have a full front trunk while probably removing half the rear trunk.

Here is a guy that put the 42le trans and chrysler 3.5 v6 from an LHS in his vw van...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4728116

255hp acording to Wikipedia. The would be decently quick in a 914.
Mike Bellis
Here's what you should do. (money no object)

Find a wrecked R10 or R8 with a PDK and make an AWD 914.

Click to view attachment
zach914v8
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 2 2016, 04:57 PM) *

Click to view attachment

lmao do eeeeet! mueba.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 2 2016, 01:13 PM) *

Not exactly a donor car, but this is what you need to find...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-SVX-L-/1723...em=172324219259

There was a running one that a fellow Volvo owner offered to me for $500 near Discovery Bay, they are out there.
Mueller
QUOTE(zach914v8 @ Sep 2 2016, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 2 2016, 04:14 PM) *

Here is a guy that put the 42le trans and chrysler 3.5 v6 from an LHS in his vw van...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4728116

255hp acording to Wikipedia. The would be decently quick in a 914.

Someone back East started that conversion on a 914, not sure if they ever finished. On phone and too lazy to search: )
Dave_Darling
The Fiero used a transverse FWD drivetrain. Packaging that in the 914 would be a bit of a challenge, especially considering the axle location on the 914 versus the engine bay location. Same objections to just about any FWD setup, as most of them are transverse. (Honda, Toyota, Mazda, many of the VW offerings, etc.)

You might make one fit by moving the whole thing aft somewhat and losing most of the rear trunk. The up-side is that might just make room for a radiator. You may or may not need to completely re-engineer the rear suspension. Not an easy job if so.

The longitudinal FWD cars are relatively rare. VW has some (Passat and some Audis as have been mentioned), and Subaru a few. Plus there are kits to convert AWD Scooby transaxles to FWD only, so that might prove another option.

Don't know how well they would fit, though.

The 996 Tip box is large and heavy, plus it turns the wrong way for a mid-engine application. I believe that they can be converted (the ring and pinion flipped or the transmission run upside down) but it is nowhere near as easy as the 915 boxes from the late-70s 911s. But 996 boxes have been used in short runs of mid-engine cars before. I think the Ultima GTR used one?

--DD
RacingDreamz
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 2 2016, 01:14 PM) *

Keep in mind that modern auto trannies are computer controlled by the engine management system, and may require a lot more inputs than you have available in a swap. The old transmissions are the easiest in part because they are pretty self-contained.

Or heck, just find an Olds Toronado drivetrain and call it good?

--DD

evilgrin.gif Works for me. smile.gif
RacingDreamz
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 2 2016, 05:57 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Seeing as we are a non profit charity, and building this car is for the veterans program, I look forward to everyone's donation to get THIS job done. shades.gif
RacingDreamz
I appreciate everyones input. We are purchasing a 914 race roller. It will be used as a racer, yet a around town 'attention getter' also. We wanted an automatic because, in case a veteran does not have full use of their limbs, they could still drive this one. We are working on other racers, haven an old Golf we're working on for RallyX now. Trying to acquire some more old 'sporty' type vehicles also. But the 914 is always our favorite and we found a deal on an old racer. Just need the engine/tranny.
I did find an early 2.2 Subie with auto tranny. Engine needs rebuilding it's already out of car so shouldnt be too hard. Hopefully we can get that cheap and it wont be too much work getting that put in. We're not looking for large HP or high speeds. Just enough power to get it around the course at a 'fun' speed. Hey, we're just getting started so we dont need the Steve McQueen stuff yet. wink.gif
I appreciate everyones help. smile.gif
veekry9
Click to view attachment
A mid-engined boonie basher,with a TH-425/TH-325/TH-325-4L transaxle.
A fella put one into a early 911-Targa,a one of a kind Frankenstein.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine-swa...e-221714-2.html
http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/technica...converters.html
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome...8#q=gm+th325-4L

Click to view attachment
500" Cadillac.When you look at this,do you think "I'll put this into a 911"?
That he did so,means he was looking for a different solution,made it work.
Clearly,the problem is the adaptation of the transaxle for mid engine placement.
The trans pan being the low point of the ride height,the massive 500inch iron block would stand proud of the targa.
The engine is likely on the order of 700 lbs alone,the trans+diff another few hundred,~400? said to be the #.
However,an all aluminum LS will fit nicely.A torque tube with the differential flipped to position the block closer to the ground is 'inventive'.
A low budget V8 mid option,and a unique solution to the automatic desire,in 3 or 4 speeds.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive...4-2-104990.html
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive...1-2-095676.html
http://www.nathanbittinger.com/fieroaddiction/sbc-l
http://www.nathanbittinger.com/fieroaddiction/fiat
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1012-c...c-v8-big-block/
http://www.500cid.com/camshafts
http://www.enercalc.com/porsche/

Donors from the wreckers for the unsuspecting 914 chassis will fit without too much hassle. dry.gif
An under-slung subframe to carry the rubber mounts and tube/diff package makes it all familiar.

Click to view attachment
Riviera/Toronado 3spd TH425/325
So,yeah,it will fit into a 914.But the cg is all wrong,which can be solved by the use of an extension of the output shaft.
Moving the differential rearward(forward),allows the lowering of the engine to minimum ride height.
Lamborghini had the same solution in '68,although far more sophisticated with integral pan castings.
Firewall to axle cl is 880mm(35"),so,a V6 is a slide in fit.A V8 poses a tight squeeze,the big block more so.
/
Mid V12.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/107913-5.html

/
914forme
WTF.gif

About 9 years ago I had a serious health issue. My joints all locked up so bad I could barely walk, hold things, and driving a stick was out. This effected my entire left side. Long story short I worked like hell to get myself rehabbed, and I am about 70% on my left side.

I only have one auto - it is our truck, everything else are sticks.

So when I got into this issue, I got a TDI with a Tiptronic. Hated that trans, once I got use of my left side, I converted it to a 6 speed, and never looked back. If the issue does come back I have a plan.

Use one of these beer.gif

This allows the car to be driven normally, and as a semi automatic. That opens a new world for you.

I would do an LS swap with a Passat trans, in a stick.

Good luck with the build.
veekry9
Click to view attachment
Losing the cast iron monsters,relics of the '60s,for the ally LS the whole proposal is cheep and automatic.
A 'Sportomatic'arrangement appeals to me,personally,but that wasn't the question.
The TH 425/325/325-4L is a plentiful,cheap solution,just needs some thinking and measuring to fit into the confines of the standard 914 wheelbase.
A VAG auto transaxle would surely do the job,as one of the solutions,tho rebuilds are pricey.The TH pan kit is 150,the clutch plates kit is about the same.
The install has been done into a X/19,so,a 914 would pose only small problems,and the box can handle any power enhancers you might add.
biggrin.gif
Cheep.
laugh.gif
/
Click to view attachment
So,yeah,a lot more room in the 914.
laugh.gif
/

Click to view attachment
LS1 + TH425 3spd.
This fella has used a Chevy 4x4 front diff,and moved it rearwards to place the weight of the package in front of the axle cl.
I've drawn in a further move to the rear,raising the diff cl to lower the engine as far as possible.
Now,a weldment to act as a torque-tube and carry the cv's and shaft will drop the whole affair.
The TH325-4L is a longer trans,as the 4th gear clutch pack is an extra 2-3" out front of the converter housing.
A Shortstar or other V6 is a cinch into the 914 engine bay,the longer V8s make for a 'more interesting'job.
smile.gif
/

Click to view attachment
A straight-up SBC install.

Click to view attachment
So,yeah,the Caddie 500 will fit too!Missouri,the showme state. biggrin.gif
Had to share this,so huge,dispelling misconceptions,and convention. laugh.gif
The engine and trans rotate conventionally,unlike the arrangement seen below.
The diff is flipped to reverse the direction of travel,as the package is installed opposite of the install above.
The trans input must rotate the correct direction as it wouldn't function otherwise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWgcth25crI

Click to view attachment
This is the gearset that replaces the HYVO chain for a reverse rotation engine.
The triangle shows how high above the trans pan the engine crank is to clear the axle below.
A little time with a mill and tig will solve that,lowering the engine to ride height.A radical modification.
evilgrin.gif
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/325.html
/
Click to view attachment
LS-LQ4-V8 truck,with stock ancillary drive,placed low and clearing the axle axis.The crank is 50mm(2") below the axle cl.
A rework of the balancer and belt drive can gain a few inchs.
The oil pan must be reworked to fit,a remote oil tank and scavenge system installed.
The max angle of the cv's can be used for the inch or two to make the room for the sidewinder trans/diff.
smile.gif
/
Click to view attachment
Cheap Vortec V6,good for 320/300 hp/tq NA.
Turbos fatten the top end,the 4 spd auto with a kit installed for the crisp shifts.
Some trans,guts n gears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndBb3gP49-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PENDQr9u-UQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7JB8Jqcif0

/
mgp4591
I pulled the SVX trans out of an AWD car and converted it to FWD only. I have some measuring to do at RRC to finalize my dimensions for my EG33 swap. Currently the car in on a new rotisserie with me installing the new floor pans and the other needed reinforcements to make it solid enough to handle the power. I'll post my findings after this next weekend but I agree that the Subie/auto trans swap is probably the easiest and less expensive way to go.
RacingDreamz
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Sep 3 2016, 11:55 PM) *

I pulled the SVX trans out of an AWD car and converted it to FWD only. I have some measuring to do at RRC to finalize my dimensions for my EG33 swap. Currently the car in on a new rotisserie with me installing the new floor pans and the other needed reinforcements to make it solid enough to handle the power. I'll post my findings after this next weekend but I agree that the Subie/auto trans swap is probably the easiest and less expensive way to go.

Thanks. Looking forward to your notes. smile.gif
914forme
If going with the SVX auto read up on mods, it can handle serious HP, but in stock form it is pure barf.gif

All lifted from Here!!

"Transmission problems

Overview

The 4EAT transmission installed in the Subaru SVX (also in the Legacy, Nissan Pathfinder, and Mazda MPV) suffers from one fatal problem: HEAT.

Radiator-based transmission cooler can't keep the transmission fluid cool enough
Transmission is poorly designed and does not allow the lubricant to flow through it to keep parts lubricated (thus friction causing heat)
Unusually high overdrive places additional side loads on bearings generating heat
AWD system puts strain on the transmission causing even more heat

Which Transmission Do You Have

All SVXs have the 4EAT but which version do you have? Incremental improvements were made to the 4EAT transmission throughout the production of the SVX. The improvements do not coincide with the year of the SVX but rather were made as they came up with fixes.

First, find the 6-digit ID on your transmission (it is on an adhesive sticker on the bell housing near the starter area).

If your transmission ID is less than 389607:
Ask your dealer if your transmission has been upgraded to the redesigned transfer clutch driven plate (Part # 31589AA041). Transmissions 389607 and higher have the improved parts. This fix addresses complaints about rear axle binding on turns.

If your SVX was manufactured before 11/92:
Ask your dealer if your transmission has been upgraded to the redesigned oil pump gasket (Part # 31339AA121). Transmissions 513102 and higher have the improved gasket. This fix lessens the chance of gasket failure resulting in half line pressure at idle and full pressure at stall speed; sometimes even causing a delay going into reverse.

If your VIN# is less than NH106286 (only 1992 models):
Ask your dealer if your transmission has been upgraded with the transmission oil filter kit.

93-97 SVXs came with transmission oil filter kits from the factory

If your transmission ID is greater than 426207:
Your transmission has a modified transmission case to help prevent the oil pump gasket from leaking (this happened some time in 1994)

If your transmission ID is greater than 463969:
Your transmission has the new high clutch drum, reverse clutch fiber plates, and reverse clutch steel plates. These changes help oil flow to the transmission's components for better cooling.

If your transmission ID is greater than 633657:
Your transmission has a newly designed high clutch drum and thrust bearings . These changes fixed the problem of not shifting or increased rpms when shifting to 3rd.
Most of these improvements were made between 1992 and 1994 1/2. The newer your SVX, the more improved your transmission but all of these transmissions suffer, to some extent, from the same problems.

Protect Your Transmission and Yourself

Use synthetic transmission fluid. It reduces the overall friction. Buy a reputable brand of synthetic fluid.

If you have a 1993-97 SVX or you have an upgraded 1992 transmission (see "Which Transmission..." above), install a high-quality external transmission filter. This will keep those stray particles from clogging up the too-small, oil-carrying arteries of the transmission.

Install a transmission oil cooler. It will cool your transmission fluid by up to 20 degrees (picture of an ATF cooler installed). There is a debate as to whether the cooler should be installed in series, parallel, or whether it should bypass the main system all together. I recommend parallel or bypassing.This costs around $350 to install.

Buy an extended warranty through SOA (if you can) or from a reputable warranty company. It's like health insurance for your car. Pay a $50 deductible and they pay the rest. A bumper-to-bumper 2-year/24K warranty will run about $1200; a 3-year/36K warranty is about $1500 and you can pay in installments. If you replace one transmission, you'll save money. Read the fine print if you want new parts, the warranty may only cover you for a rebuilt transmission.

Symptoms

Delay when shifting
Engine revs while shifting
A "thud" when putting the car in reverse
Will not go into 4th
Will not go into any gear

Repairing Your Transmission
Taking it to the Repairman
If you can't limp to the service garage, the Subaru manual states, "when transmission failure occurs all four wheels MUST be lifted off the ground in order to tow."

Taking this list of Technical Service Bulletins to your repairman will help to ensure that your new transmission will be installed correctly:

TSB# 16-58-94
TSB# 16-61-94 (contains crucial corrections to 16-58-94)
TSB# 16-62-97
TSB# 04-20-94
TSB# 16-56-93
If you're going to the expense of having your transmission replaced, you may as well have it done right. Have them flush out the radiator heat sink and replace the cooling lines. And use a synthetic transmission fluid from the start. You can also contact TransGo Performance (626/443-7456) and ask about their "Shift Improver" kit (part # SKRE4R01A). This $50 kit has 4 plastic rings for the transmission that are designed to handle greater temperatures than stock Subaru parts.

Cost
Cost estimates range from $1,800 to $4,200. The low end being a rebuilt transmission at a non-Subaru transmission shop to the high end of a brand new transmission installed at a Subaru dealership.
"
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(cali914 @ Sep 2 2016, 07:09 AM) *

maybe a northstar and auto transmission
RacingDreamz
jmmotorsports, do you have any engine/tranny code numbers I can look up? I'll be glad to look up anything to see if I can get the parts and how expensive it may be.

Thanks for the input. smile.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(zipedadoo @ Sep 2 2016, 11:28 AM) *

What about a Fiero trans axle? I have seen v8's in Fieros with the manual transmission don't know if anyone has done one with a automatic. I'd guess it would all fit in a 914????

Fieros are transverse sad.gif
veekry9
biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
The center diff is custom torque biasing,the front diff any that will handle the power.
This is a great idea,thanks.Paddle shift/Full Auto,good to +1100 hp.
laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92XzqX1jpgI
This is it,real strong.
Mount the engine/trans normally transverse for a RWD,or,longitudinally for the far-out AWD 914.
Much more work,adapting rear and front diffs into the 914 chassis,front spindles to carry the axle shafts,brakes.
Why,an off-road V8 4x4 914,would be a quaint anachronism at the Paris-Dakar Rally.Fun too.
Simpler to come by than the aircooled Tatra V8,but,much heavier and more powerful.
Painted a flat shade of Sahara,adorned with Hellas and spares,it would make a pretty picture.
Down low with slicks,a twin-turbo would make some quick laps,with a great grip advantage.

Click to view attachment
BloozeBerry pix.
A rear subframe would definitely be in the works,to carry the loads,now much larger.
Heck,with the chassis already a racer,a migration to full tube is an easy one.
AWD 914...still a great idea Mike,and a mirror of the factory 959.Inspiring.
evilgrin.gif
/
Let's say you 'wants more gear',and six will do nicely. biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DzA3T5o1Ac

Shift Points,Ratio Data:
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000136-5.html

Preventive Maintenance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5lNmwd2P4A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmrMZyQuDCE
Lighting up all the tires in a similar way would make a real nice 'RennWagen',and clothed in 914 guise,an unexpected surprise.
happy11.gif
biggrin.gif

/
The Northstar,or Shortstar option,being the least expensive 4-valve option,is narp.
So,a latemodel Porsche V8,is then the other end of the scale,not cheap.
This then,is a premium option,a scored 928 block,made new with wet liners,for a 5.8L displacement,7L,with the 3.75" stroker crank.
http://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/73700...28-engines.html
shades.gif

/
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Sep 4 2016, 07:10 AM) *

QUOTE(cali914 @ Sep 2 2016, 07:09 AM) *

maybe a northstar and auto transmission

I DO NOT HAVE ANY NUMBERS
veekry9
Click to view attachment
Well,an option not yet considered here,is the pushrod V8,other than LS.
This is the cheap,lightweight Cadillac,aluminum block,iron head,4.9L.
A feature of this engine is the iron wet liners,roller cam,and aluminum rocker stud 'bridge'.

http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?6,13482,page=1
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=25...asc&start=0
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/ht4100-4-1-4-5-4/
https://www.google.ca/search?q=cadillac+4.9...94n3VYEc8DJM%3A
A hotrod approach,to make the heads breathe and rev,is an adventure.
biggrin.gif

/
RacingDreamz
I got an idea from a friend who didnt mean to express this idea but it happened anyway. smile.gif

Would/could a 944 engine coupled with the auto tranny be installed in a 914? Rather than the torque tube, attach directly to transmission. Would this work?
messix
QUOTE(RacingDreamz @ Oct 24 2016, 06:16 PM) *

I got an idea from a friend who didnt mean to express this idea but it happened anyway. smile.gif

Would/could a 944 engine coupled with the auto tranny be installed in a 914? Rather than the torque tube, attach directly to transmission. Would this work?

search for pictures of a 944 with a stock engine and then for a gm ls engine, that should sum up the space issue of using a 944 in a 914
Dave_Darling
Anything can fit if you have a plasma cutter and a welder... Moving the firewall forward is very possible; Rick did that for the Alien. Works well for him because he doesn't need as much legroom as some of us. Or he figured the 928 engine was worth sacrificing some legroom for!! biggrin.gif

--DD
ThePaintedMan
I still know where that FWD auto trans is out of the SVX. Needs new bands, but from what I understand, they're easy to rebuild.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.