Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help us rebuild a 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
flyer86d
Weren’t the dish top pistons used on the 73 1.7s? I know that the 71s had pop up pistons. I would put a set of 96mm p&cs in it and try to find a set of 1.8 heads with the bigger valves and better ports. Mill the step off of the sealing surface for compression. I used to mill the big boss of the small end of the rods to lighten them a bit. It will run great with the stock injection and be a fun engine.

Charlie
Boomingbeetle
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Nov 14 2017, 02:57 PM) *

Weren’t the dish top pistons used on the 73 1.7s? I know that the 71s had pop up pistons. I would put a set of 96mm p&cs in it and try to find a set of 1.8 heads with the bigger valves and better ports. Mill the step off of the sealing surface for compression. I used to mill the big boss of the small end of the rods to lighten them a bit. It will run great with the stock injection and be a fun engine.

Charlie

If you are interested in this route, I have a set of 1.8 heads newly rebuilt by Brothers VW in Ontario CA, the heads have also had the spark plugs relocated to the 2.0 angle/position which is supposed to increase HP. PM me if interested and I can get you pics and receipts.
ericoneal
So this project may be picking back up. I found a set of, what are said to be, 1.8L heads near me for dirt cheap but they will need to be cleaned up. I'd like to make this engine a 2056 and I know this has been asked a hundred time before but, can I just drop 96mm pistons and cylinders into 1.8 heads without needed to have any work done to them, then fit them on this 1.7L case? Will the sheet metal fit too? From what I read, these are preferred over 1.7 heads for strength and performance.
Would I be better off getting Walter's 1.7 heads and doing the same, will those need to be cut for 96mm?

Finally, have a look at these heads, can you guys definitely identify them as 1.8s?

Guy states: "The heads are oval port with 40mn intake valves and a 93mm cylinder bore." I want to make sure he's not passing me bus heads or something...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
Cleanliness is not what is required on heads. Someone needs to check them out. Cracks etc…

2056 will need a 71 mm crank along with 96mm jugs and pistons. That crank will also require smaller rods. Folks say to make a 1.7 into a 2.0 you need to make sure the rods and crank clear webbing etc inside the engine. The cooling tin would fit 1.7 ans 2.0 jugs the OD is the same.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.