Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC: Now that you've been to the Track?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mike D.
Engine did great, outside of the throttle linkage coming apart and having to be towed off the track, Yes, that was me. cool.gif
I found that my car had tremedous amount of understeer. I was really looking forward to throttle steering and drifting the car but not with the understeer conditions I was having. Oh, I was throttle stearing, but I'd let up on the throttle to upset the balance then get back on it just get the damn thing to turn. I only got into an oversteer slide once all day.

Guess I'll be going back to the drawing board on the suspension.

Still had a great day, thanks to everyone! biggrin.gif

Mike D.
brant
can I change the fact that it doesn't run?
(sorry for the hi jack)

bernbomb914
I was very happy with mine. It turned in great with just a little oversteer but we could power slide it. The car was much better than I was as I was a little bit rusty (30 years) but got faster as the day went on. I have less than 500 miles total in a 914 so it was a steep learning curve. Had a great time and want to thank Howard and all his support for a great 3 days.

PS I want to thank Joe o'brien for all his help as he was my instructor. he was a very brave man

Bernie
Andyrew
One big thing that me and chris (julian) found was the need for an oil cooler.

Outside of that...

Cv's

tube strengthening so that I can run

biger flares so that I can run

wide stickies

Either stronger springs or a swaybar in the rear so that I can run

bigger/ aftermarket swaybar up front

And finish off with a little more brake! ( Although mine were doing really good yesterday....)

Anyone else??
markb
Geez, where do I start? biggrin.gif

Front 23mm bar that I was saving for Dad's Car.

2.0 with cam & carbs that I was saving for Dad's Car.

914/6 front & rear conversion with SC calipers & 6x15 Fuchs that I was saving for Dad's Car.

Syncro for 2nd gear.

Other than those things, the car was great. laugh.gif

Actually, except for an amazing lack of power, the car was ok. The front & rear broke loose at almost the exact same time, the tires (Dunlop A 2's) stuck very well (our instructor was impressed at how well), and the braking was never an issue. How could it be an issue going that slow? biggrin.gif

TonyAKAVW
0. Replace 2nd gear synchro (and probably slider and teeth) and 1st gear synchro for good measure
0. Adjust the clutch to engage lower
0. Fix the oil leak (pushrod tube seals and valve cover gaskets)
1. New tires
2. Rear Sway bar
3. Perhaps an adjustable front sway bar to replace my stock one.

4. I've decided that on my project car I will definitely put fender flares on and I'm strongly considering putting Boxster brakes on the front to replace the stock SC calipers. I will also run 140 lbs or heavier springs on the back and a rear sway bar too. Its getting a WRX motor and aafter looking at Scott's Porscharu conversion I got some good ideas on how to do the motor mount, etc. I was lucky enough to get a ride in that car. Sounds like a stock 2.0 but accelerates like a mother-#(@&@#) !

-Tony
skline
I think the only thing I will change on my car is the brakes. I think I need to go with bigger fronts, other than that, my car handled just fine. As for power, it is what it is, a stock 2 liter with D-Jet. Reliable, good gas mileage and so on. The motor is fairly new so I think as long as it is running so good, I will just leave it. After all, it is just an A/X car/driver. Besides, I can run in stock class with it. smile.gif

Tony, I thought your tires had pretty good grip for street tires. I may get a set of those for my other wheels for the street. But you need some heavier springs and maybe a rear bar. I may have some springs for you. I just need to decide which to run on mine, the 140's or the 165's. I will know once I go to the next Riverside A/X.
TravisNeff
Me, nuttin'

Fix a clunk in the rear of the car? learn how to push them pedals and turn that round thingy that sits right in front of me. So far the only thing I know that needs improving is me.
TravisNeff
I guess I lied.. real seatbelts.
SLITS
Buy some tiars (and quit drinking Tequila)
TonyAKAVW
Tony, I thought your tires had pretty good grip for street tires. I may get a set of those for my other wheels for the street. But you need some heavier springs and maybe a rear bar. I may have some springs for you. I just need to decide which to run on mine, the 140's or the 165's. I will know once I go to the next Riverside A/X.

I know the springs I have in the back are stiffer than stock, but I don't know for certain what they are. Someone once told me they felt like 140 lb springs, but who knows. The tires are Dunlop SP Sport tires and I don't know if they are still sold. I bought them in the summer of 2001, they had maybe two and a half years of use before I chopped up my first 914, then they sat until June of last year when I put them on this car. I noticed that after a couple years they did begin to feel noticeably harder. I remember when they were new they felt pretty good.

-Tony
TravisNeff
No can do amihole.. me likes the funny smellin drinks
ablose58
Only thing I want to change is heavier rear springs but other than that my car was pretty well glued to the track smilie_pokal.gif Slits even said so himself beer.gif
sean_v8_914
Ya'll think I really need a swaybar?
Andyrew
No, you need more rear spring.

markb
About as much as I do. laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Apr 27 2005, 12:58 PM)
Ya'll think I really need a swaybar?

you were one of the few that had a perfect line through there ...

sway bars would help making you faster.
wink.gif Andy
rhodyguy
suspension wise, nothing, other than match the rear control arm bushings with the elephants i put on the front. when we left i didn't bother to turn the konis down from the 1/2 turn i put on them for the track. car felt much more stable at freeway cruising. so, around town full soft, and make the adjustment as driving dictates. the truck lane on 101 from gilmore was killing me. you guys with the autocross setups must have been getting hammered.

k
andys
The Streets is a tough little track for most cars. All those slow corners make even a well set up car struggle. I does bring out the worst in a car, so I suppose that's a good thing to see such dramatic handling behavior. You'll quickly know when you're going in the right direction or not (set up wise, that is wink.gif ). Were you guys running the abbreviated short course? Any lap times?

Andy
Duffster
tranny with a good center bearing... LSD... shorter 4th and 5th,

oh wait! I was already gonna do all that biggrin.gif
markb
Yeah, she does lean just a tad, doesn't she? dry.gif

The car ran great the whole weekend. I pushed it really hard the last few laps, and got it into the red, temp-wise. Load up all our crap, and the car wouldn't start. huh.gif Push started it, drove up to Ventura for gas & eats. Parked on a slope just in case. After dinner, she started right up. Drove it yesterday, no prob. Went to start it this morning, no start. sad.gif Wouldn't it figure, todays the day I have to pick up a couple of cars and can't get my car to the shop until tomorrow. Oh, well, We'll get to it. smile.gif
airsix
What kind of event were you guys running? That's an awful lot of cars at the limit closely spaced. ohmy.gif (referring to the pic of 4 cars one car-length apart on the track) If the lead car spun it'd look like a train wreck. Glad there were no incidents.

-Ben M.
Brad Roberts
That was a farely low speed corner (3rd gear) and if the front car spins... they go to the inside of the track out of the way (I watched it happen 2-3 times)

Now. Saying that: the cars *can* come back across the track, but most of them got the car stopped before it came back across the track.

I'm also betting most people where in second gear. The faster guy's would have been in 3rd gear about 2500rpm

B
Andyrew
That corner was right after I downshifted from 4th to 3rd.... biggrin.gif

I think I was above 2k at that corner, never got to look at the tach, but I didnt have bog problems...

I know I kept it in 4th lots of times..
carreraguy
Regretably, I only had time to do three sets. I need more experience and practice being smoother before I can decide what I need. I do know that the new front sway bar helped a lot!
Brad Roberts
Tom,

I personally thought you did very well. Your car should have been balanced nicely. I set the bar on that car after using a skid pad close to the shop. I watched you "get" the line as you progressed.

B
Brando
I've reached the limits in my car as it is now.

1. New brakes.
2. Poly-Bronze bushings.
3. 2056 engine.
4. Front & Rear swaybars.
5. New Tyars, mine just dont grip as good as I thought.
Brad Roberts
Damn it.

I wish I would have known that we had cars attending the event with the Poly setup in them. I drove a car with roller bearings.. would have LOVED to test both cars on the track hitting the birm.

I rode in one car with plastic.. then jumped into the roller bearing car... NIGHT AND DAY difference when I placed the car on the birm.

B
Joe Bob
QUOTE (airsix @ Apr 27 2005, 02:43 PM)
What kind of event were you guys running? That's an awful lot of cars at the limit closely spaced. ohmy.gif (referring to the pic of 4 cars one car-length apart on the track) If the lead car spun it'd look like a train wreck. Glad there were no incidents.

-Ben M.

You weren't even there. How can you comment on spacing? It's a DE.....
nebreitling
i'm gonna put a louder horn in to signal for people to get out of the damn way!!!

beerchug.gif

(and maybe some 'real' front shocks as opposed to the who-knows-what-30-year-old-crap-is-in-there-now. at 100mph, my front end was really starting to float..)
Brad Roberts
Nathan,

for future reference... ASK to be moved into a faster group... The organizers have no idea about peoples skill levels. You have to let them know.

B
nebreitling
yeah, probably. but i only have two highspeed events under my belt -- ever -- and none in the 914. i thought 'blue' would be appropriate. didn't matter, the GF had to get home so we left early. sad sad.gif but she's worth it wub.gif
brer
I think i would like a second car. Stripped and proper for that kind of business.
I think dont think I'll be larking around in the green one again.
She would need way too much, and I feel guilty treating her rough.

happy11.gif
Joe Bob
Quote...

I think i would like a second car. Stripped and proper for that kind of business.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Check my BLOG....Manfred is still available..... biggrin.gif
mightyohm
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Apr 26 2005, 03:28 PM)

Fix a clunk in the rear of the car?

Hey, that's what I need to do!

Scott, it came back the next day just like I said it would. wacko.gif
914werke
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 27 2005, 06:19 PM)
Nathan,

for future reference... ASK to be moved into a faster group... The organizers have no idea about peoples skill levels. You have to let them know.

B

For Sure headbang.gif I moved myself down from the Red to Yellow group because I was out Motor'ed big time and just holding people up.
jimtab
I'm gonna install 5 place belts on the passenger side so my instructors will be more comfortable, get stickier tires, and tighten the nut behind the wheel,,,,get more butt time. Felt I did ok tho...oh and change the fuc+in brake fluid before track events from now on...it's bad luck to run out of brakes in the BRAKING ZONE! It can cause a spin...ask me how I know..... driving-girl.gif
Andyrew
Oh, I forgot...

I need to fix a sticking throttle cable...

Sticks at 1/2 throttle (after going WOT) on the clutch cable... Tap the clutch and its out... (figured that the 3rd time...)

It wasnt fun at the end of the long straight... Lets just say I could smell my brakes... and its NICE having more brake than hp... (after a 2 seconds of braking, clutch in and turned off the key... put it in neutral and started the car in the next corner...)

I think I'll do like Andy said and put a metal bracket in between the two... Keep em from sticking against each other...
markb
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 27 2005, 06:56 PM)
Quote...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Check my BLOG....Manfred is still available..... biggrin.gif

Ummm, brer? DO IT!! biggrin.gif
airsix
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 27 2005, 05:59 PM)
You weren't even there. How can you comment on spacing? It's a DE.....

Well Mike, I'm commenting on the spacing because I'm STARING at a picture of it. I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it - just making an observation and voicing a concern. Maybe the concern is unfounded. Maybe not. If it were a true DE event with instructors, safety equipment, and track-ready cars then I guess there's nothing to be concerned about. Something else bothering you?

-Ben M.
Joe Bob
Your signature block bugs me....
Brad Roberts
Then dont use avitars that *might* offend ANYONE. Pretty simple solution. Dont use anything that you wouldnt show your daughters.

B
rhodyguy
ben, the picture is a little deceptive. slow portion of the track on the road couse. we had signed releases and understood what were about to risk. that's one of the reasons is didn't stick around for the later sessions. got on and off the track with a running car that carried me home. i know when to conceed. 2 passing zones and people respected the blue with a yellow stripe flag.

k
Brando
Z, you're kind of sounding like one of those Assdragger Pocketbook racers...

...oh yeah. rolleyes.gif
airsix
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Apr 28 2005, 11:18 AM)
ben, the picture is a little deceptive. slow portion of the track on the road couse. we had signed releases and understood what were about to risk.

That's cool.

-Ben M.
airsix
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 28 2005, 11:04 AM)
Your signature block bugs me....

I can live with that. wink.gif

-Ben M.
brer
Ummm, brer? DO IT!! biggrin.gif

Hmmmmmmmz. I like the color.
I think i need to test drive it for the weekend. driving-girl.gif

And maybe get a second job.idea.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 28 2005, 11:14 AM)
Then dont use avitars that *might* offend ANYONE. Pretty simple solution. Dont use anything that you wouldnt show your daughters.

B

Brad...Kind of contradictory from your opening statement when this forum came on line....

As to MY avatars...my kids think they are funny.

The avatars CAN be turned off..."I" have to look at his BS sig line everytime he posts.

I haven't forgotten that flame he started awhile back either....
Allan
Havent been to the freaking track!!! headbang.gif Car broke down and I missed 75% of the WCC. You are all Bastards! wink.gif
Howard
QUOTE (airsix @ Apr 28 2005, 01:00 PM)
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Apr 28 2005, 11:18 AM)
ben, the picture is a little deceptive. slow portion of the track on the road couse. we had signed releases and understood what were about to risk.

That's cool.

-Ben M.

Couple of things. There's a photographic effect (called foreshortening IIRC) that comes into play. Second, this was the 'red' run group, instructors and guys with real track experience who know how to drive. The other groups kept a more suitable distance.

To give you a better idea of how it looked on the track, my 'chasing' Jim Tabor in the 'novice' group.

HeHe

Safety first. Think we had 4 or 5 spins that day, and Willow is the perfect place to do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.