Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Operation Integrity
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
amfab
Well I am swearing at it today, I have some thin spots in the wheel wells that Im running at 2 voltage and 20 wire speed which is what is says for 22G., I get to a thin spot and shine a light from behind and find a pin hole, and next thing I know I am chasing an opening as I keep burning a half an inch past it. then I go back and grind it smooth and find another pinhole.

What do people do just kept patching or just throw some filler on it?

-Andrew
bbrock
QUOTE(amfab @ Dec 9 2018, 01:15 PM) *

Well I am swearing at it today, I have some thin spots in the wheel wells that Im running at 2 voltage and 20 wire speed which is what is says for 22G., I get to a thin spot and shine a light from behind and find a pin hole, and next thing I know I am chasing an opening as I keep burning a half an inch past it. then I go back and grind it smooth and find another pinhole.

-Andrew

Are you using a copper backer? Helps a lot in those areas. But there have been times like this when I realize I need to start over with a larger patch that ties into healthy metal.
Tdskip
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 9 2018, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE(amfab @ Dec 9 2018, 01:15 PM) *

-Andrew

Are you using a copper backer? Helps a lot in those areas. But there have been times like this when I realize I need to start over with a larger patch that ties into healthy metal.

Agree - that was my take too. Tempting to just keep zapping it but better to cut a larger patch.

amfab
yeah, I have a couple copper backing things. Still it can get frustrating.
I think its my grinding technique that needs work, not so much the welding.

bbrock
I feel your pain. Especially hard when you spent a couple hours carefully fitting in a patch. And yes, we tend to overlook the grinding, but I find getting that technique right is as challenging as the welding. You're doing great though! Still jealous of that Dollisserie. beerchug.gif
Tdskip
What do you use to grind? Flap wheel?
bbrock

Flap wheel generates too much heat. Too easy to warp the metal after you were so careful keeping things cool during welding.

I typically start with a cutting wheel mounted in a die grinder and used on edge (constantly moving) to take off the bulk of the weld but being careful not to touch the parent metal, or I take it down with a 2", 36g disc in an angle grinder depending on the weld, my mood, and which tool is handy. then switch to 80g 2" disc to take it down to the surface of the parent material. Finally, finish up with a conditioning disc. That said, I'm still very much a nube and things don't always go as planned. smile.gif Lots' of good threads about grinding. McMark posted a nice video showing his technique http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=322374.
amfab
Dollisserie I like that.

Maybe its my fondness for flap wheels that is causing me the problems.

-Andrew
bbrock
Yeah, in addition to heat, they eat a lot of metal in a hurry. They are seductive because they quickly take an ugly weld and make it pretty, but there's a reason the pros don't use them much. I learned that the hard way.
amfab
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 9 2018, 06:55 PM) *

Yeah, in addition to heat, they eat a lot of metal in a hurry. They are seductive because they quickly take an ugly weld and make it pretty, but there's a reason the pros don't use them much. I learned that the hard way.

K, I will switch to regular disks and see if that helps me
Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.