Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TYPE4PARTS PROGRAMABLE FUEL INJECTION
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Type 4
Here is a preveiw of my fuel injection unit for the 914.

The Type4parts engine management system handles full 3D mapping of both ignition and injection.

Its easy programmability and flexibility in adapting to existing engine installations and sensors make it a particularly good choice for people wishing to convert thier Bosch D Jet to mapped ignition and injection.

The system will take inputs from the stock distributor including those converted to run with an optical trigger.

The software provides 32 speed sites(up to 15,500RPM) and 16 load sites with tailored load site grouping, allowing super sensitive mapping around part throttle to improve drivability.

The injection software provides the same number of load sites and speed sites, and also allows for cranking enrichment, acceleration fuelling adjustment, cold start correction, cylinder head and air temperature correction to both fuelling and ignition settings.

Map trimming the timing and fuelling settings while the engine is running, or on a download basis.

Type4parts EMS unit incorporates a shift light, user-tailorable soft and hard cut rev-limiters, tach drive and tach tell-tale.

Not show in photo is modifided plemun for 65mm Throttle body.
Brad Roberts
Come on.. put this in the vendors area (or I'll do it for you)

Feel free to tell us about it in a thread here... but dont sell shit here in the main form.

B
drgchapman
So...I'm listening. stones.gif Been dealing with a stumbling d-jeted 2.0. Seems thst many d-jet owners deal with stumbling d-jets. How much and will it cure the stumbles? What about that large bore throttle body? confused24.gif
Type 4
The 65mm TB is installed on your stock plenum.
By using the stock runners with there Fuel injector bosses you dont need to buy two TB and the linkage.
The stock 2.0 Plenum and runners will flow more than enough air for even a 2.8 engine.
You can use your Stock TB as it is compatiable with the system.
It is very tunable.
Mueller
price?

does it come with a base map?

can "anyone" install and tune it?

anyone we know running it?

support?

warrenty?

is it based on an existing ECU? (common practice for some vendors to rebadge items)
Type 4
There are 50 base programs to get you started.

Yes anyone can install it and tune using a laptop.

Any questions just feel free to send email or call.

sean_v8_914
tell us more about the metering parameters. what sensors does it use? deos it modulate timing also?
redshift
I want to know how much the 'buy it now-drive it yesterday' plan is, for a new motor (2270?) with injection installed, and tuned.

Oh, I'm going to need a new clutch too... so add that, and three tuneup kits.. oh, a pair of cowl/fender seals... and.. umm.. have you got a pile of 5 lug 6x16 Fuchs sitting around?

If someone wants to work a bumper deal, I am deleting my chrome, for glass, if you have a pair, add those too.

All this has made me thirsty.. please toss the local favorite into the package.. idea.gif better overnight it.

M
jr91472
can you mount the ECU in the engine bay? price?
914rrr
Any provisions for a turbo install?
Type 4
The system uses Throttle position switch, TDC sensor, Oil temp, MAP Sensor and Cylinders head temp .
To comtrol the mixture and timimg.
It is has 8 ft leads so that the EMS Box can be place where you like.
Yes it is set up for turbo enrichment and timing control via boost sensor.
It is state of the art.
gregrobbins
Three prople have asked about the price. So I am #4.

Sounds good, but how much? confused24.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Apr 29 2005, 10:53 AM)
Three prople have asked about the price. So I am #4.

Sounds good, but how much? confused24.gif

I'll be #5...

must you already have a DJet setup?
lapuwali
What's the range on the MAP sensor? Is the MAP sensor built in, or external?

What's the temperature range on the ECU?

The big connector on the end looks like an AMPseal connector. Is the rest of the case waterproof?

What does the tuning software run on?

Does it require the use of a distributor for ignition? Can it fire the coil directly, or does it require an external ignitor? Can dwell be tuned? How does it trigger? Crankwheel? Points? VR or Hall sensor in the distributor? All of the above?

tat2dphreak
it's probably like Mueller's hubs, they don't really exist biggrin.gif
bd1308
price...i'm #6 and #7 if the price is right wink.gif
TROJANMAN

now i'm skeptical
Type 4
must you already have a DJet setup?
No. It can be used with any TB with injectors ie CB Performane or Redline.

Is the MAP sensor built in, or external?
The MAP sensor is external.

What's the temperature range on the ECU?
It can be mounted in the engine compartment but the leads allow you to mount it inside the car.

The big connector on the end looks like an AMPseal connector. Is the rest of the case waterproof?
The box is water restitant.

What does the tuning software run on?
It is windows based 3.1 and later.

Does it require the use of a distributor for ignition? Can it fire the coil directly, or does it require an external ignitor? Can dwell be tuned? How does it trigger? Crankwheel? Points? VR or Hall sensor in the distributor? All of the above?
A Converison for the points is prvided. It will work on all of the above. It will not work using the stock VW flywheel sensor as Buses and Vanagons.

Please send me an email for pricing.
Air_Cooled_Nut
How about this...what is the cost for everything you have shown in the picture? You can use the words "about" or "roughly" wink.gif along with "call for an EXACT quote". Just having a ball-park figure is nice smile.gif
Type 4
For Pricing please send an email.
Type 4
I forgot to mention built in Data logger.
Brando
Steve,
I like the sound of your system. I e-mailed you my other questions, but here's some big ones...

Have you dyno-tested a car with this setup compared to stock injection? Compared to carburetors? Any pictures of it in use (we like eye candy)? Does it come with detailed instructions (I'm not an electrical engineer dry.gif)?

Sounds super-cool.
TravisNeff
We need a "this thread is worthless without prices" smiley.. Cough up the prices, sent a message - thanks!
redshift
Email? RED FLAG!

Are you in Nigeria, by any chance?

smile.gif

M
Rand
The price must be too embarrasing to post in public? You know it's just a matter of time before everyone here finds out anyway.
redshift
Yes, we can force it out of him here, or someone can send an email, and sneak it in somewhere.

smile.gif

M
tat2dphreak
I emailed for price...

I'm sure it's more than I can afford, but I want to know!
machina
I remember a figure like $1000 from a post weeks ago. Haven't been following too close because I am married to my webers unless SCCA changes the rulebook.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...59&hl=injection

porschenut
Anyone got a price from this guy yet?
Lots of us called and sent emails last week, not a good sign!
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (porschenut @ May 3 2005, 08:51 AM)

yea, what's up with that? I sent an email, nothing! is Steve starting the AA of the west? wink.gif
URY914
See what I told ya...
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 3 2005, 05:52 AM)
QUOTE (porschenut @ May 3 2005, 08:51 AM)

yea, what's up with that? I sent an email, nothing! is Steve starting the AA of the west? wink.gif

you beat me too it...... biggrin.gif
Type 4
Eveyrone who has sent me a email will be getting an email shortly with the prices for the different packages.
dmenche914
If anyone gets the prices , please post them, the suspence is just toooooo much for me. If it is near $1000, then that may not be too bad, considering the prices of Weber 48's these days, and the fact that once tuned, it should stay in tune forever, right????
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ May 3 2005, 10:33 AM)
If anyone gets the prices , please post them, the suspence is just toooooo much for me. If it is near $1000, then that may not be too bad, considering the prices of Weber 48's these days, and the fact that once tuned, it should stay in tune forever, right????

in theory...

another determining factor for me, is that I would need some sort of FI to begin with, it seems... it's not a conversion from carbs... so I would need to find another FI, even a stock one, which would had a few hundred to the cost... whereas megasquirt can convert carbs...

I wonder if one of the shitty "single-carb" setups can beconverted to FI using this though? idea.gif I think I have one of those on the shelf
lapuwali
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 3 2005, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ May 3 2005, 10:33 AM)
If anyone gets the prices , please post them, the suspence is just toooooo much for me.  If it is near $1000, then that may not be too bad, considering the prices of Weber 48's these days, and the fact that once tuned, it should stay in tune forever, right????

in theory...

another determining factor for me, is that I would need some sort of FI to begin with, it seems... it's not a conversion from carbs... so I would need to find another FI, even a stock one, which would had a few hundred to the cost... whereas megasquirt can convert carbs...

I wonder if one of the shitty "single-carb" setups can beconverted to FI using this though? idea.gif I think I have one of those on the shelf

Megasquirt can only "convert carbs" if you have all of the parts. By far the easiest way to put MS or any other aftermarket ECU in a 914 is to start with a D-Jet or L-Jet setup. These aren't all that expensive used, certainly not "a few hundred", considering you can buy a complete running 1.7 for under $500. You don't need the "brain" or the MPS, which are the expensive hard-to-source parts. All you need is are the runners, plenum, throttle body, injectors, fuel pump, and the pressure regulator. You'd still need to do all of the wiring and plumbing yourself. The big advantage here is the plenum and TB will already have a nipple for the MAP sensor (same as MPS), and will have temp sensors for intake air and head temp you can use with MS and the newer Perfect Power ECUs. The TPS won't work, but you don't really need one with MS.

If you're trying to convert a dual Weber'd car, you'll need to modify the manifolds to accept injectors, and you'll need to buy the injectors ($150-200 a set new), a fuel pump, a pressure regulator, and plumbing. The Webers can act as throttle bodies. However, this is actually an expensive way to do this, as you can sell the complete Weber setup for $400-500, and a buy used D-Jet setup for $50-150. It's possible to have a complete MS system working for the same money you'd get for selling the Webers.

The single progressive Weber setup would work, as long as you mount the injectors at the ports.

tnorthern
I am fairly new here but I will toss my .02 into the fray... I emailed Steve back on 4-23 about an engine, he emailed me back with info about a "big four" which was great.

Now when I emailed him back about prices and dyno numbers (you know actual hard data like you would get anywhere else in the real world from an engine builder but seems to be kinda scarce in this community) because I was very interested I never heard back from him.

Again just my .02 but I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply...
Type 4
Just have a little patience fellows you will be getting the prices via email.
redshift
ohmy.gif

Oh no! Stromberg isn't a Nigerian name, is it?

smile.gif

M
airsix
No matter how low the price is people will complain. You could give them away free and people would gripe about the shipping cost and that it took more than 27 minutes to get a tracking number. rolleyes.gif

-Ben M.
Rand
Just have a little patience fellows

Reading this thread is making me nuts. Are the prices still under development or what? Why can't they just be posted? Keeping them top secret isn't going to help the opinions about them. They will be known by all anyway, and attempted secrecy will only add to the gripes.
736conver
We need a new smilie.

The thread is worthless without prices!!!!!
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (airsix @ May 3 2005, 11:33 AM)
No matter how low the price is people will complain. You could give them away free and people would gripe about the shipping cost and that it took more than 27 minutes to get a tracking number. rolleyes.gif

-Ben M.

there's nothing to complain about yet. the price is currently on double secret probation.
Rand
I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to shoot ya.
jwalters
I think if you read the post that Brad made--you would see he explicity said no selling on this board---so that means no prices----it was on Page 1--about the #2 or #3 post--

Admins wield the sword around here-- wacko.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (jwalters @ May 3 2005, 03:41 PM)
I think if you read the post that Brad made--you would see he explicity said no selling on this board---so that means no prices----it was on Page 1--about the #2 or #3 post--

Admins wield the sword around here-- wacko.gif

We have a resource section on the board for "selling", Steves 1st post looked like a straight up advertisment, now if he showed it installed on a 914 or something like that, then it would be different I think....

nothing wrong with posting the price.......
jwalters
biggrin.gif Now that is too cool! Another vendor saying " Post the Price!"

Score:

Admins: 1
Vendors: 2

hehe-- unsure.gif
redshift
If it's not expensive enough, nobody's going to want it.

M
Mueller
QUOTE (redshift @ May 3 2005, 04:11 PM)
If it's not expensive enough, nobody's going to want it.

M

there is some truth to that...if the price is so dirt cheap compared to what is out there, it makes you wonder what the reason is....

my Link ECU so far seems to be about the lowest cost commercial* ECU if seen this year, and it's only a few hundred bucks less than everything else......

*megasquirt does not count, even a professional built/tested unit

SLITS
It's 10 Bazillion Dollars or might as well be as cheap as the Teener Owners are biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.