Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slobber bottles...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Rusty
I'm looking for a couple of slobber bottles. I need one for the /6 and one for the Aubergine (not purple) car.

I'm having some trouble actually finding them available online. Any suggested sources?

-Rusty smoke.gif
rhodyguy
rusty, long ago b told me to buy a jax(?), jacks(?) bottle to use instead of the breather box setup. never could figure out where to purchase one. i WILL need to source one as the new heads have the vents plugged. i may just put a petcock in an old windshield washer bottle, some sort of filter top, and find a place to mount it.

k
SLITS
On our race cars, we used pint/quart metal cans with the screw top. Cheap...drill a hole in the cap for the hose...check level every once in a while and dump if necessary. To barbarian to put a bottom drain in.

Then if you want purty....well, your on your own.
d914
the vintage thread used bilke water bottles and brackets, looked very nice.
Eric_Shea
I was going to use a windshield washer bottle. I'm in the metal phase still so I planned on welding in the actual mounts. The center of the cap is removable so you can insert the hose and the bottom can be "vented" out the bottom.

If I could find a square GT style I'd probably go that route...
lapuwali
Amusing things one has seen used as "slobber bottles":

the most common, of course, is a soda can, often with a wheel mark on it because it was just picked up from an access road at the edge of the paddock in a blind rush because the real catch can was forgotten...

my personal best was discovering a Honey Bear honey bottle (plastic squeeze bottle in the shape of a teddy bear) buried under the seat of a race bike I'd just purchased. Nicely zip-tied to the frame, with the squeeze nozzle used as the hose barb, and a vent hole drilled into the cap. So nice, I left it there, and eventually sold the bike with it still there.

majkos
Slobber bottles!? ohmy.gif Huh?
Oooh! We call 'em around here "Puke Boxes" barf.gif
C.B. and Scat (VW)carries them if you like the Alum. look.
Thou I like the afforable one that works, pop bottles, Bear Honey, My favorite is the bike bottles.Can get thoses for free! screwy.gif
Eric_Shea
The GT bottle was a windhsield washer bottle from "something"... anyone know what? confused24.gif
Joe Bob
Bikey Spandex fag water bottle and cages.....prolly not the PC term...but that's what I use... cool_shades.gif

Greg is prolly pissed cause I agree wit heem.....
d914
If I'm that Greg I'm always surprised when some one agrees with me... By the way mine uses a overflow/ window washer tank from PEP Boys.
d914
by the way, son keeps putting the camera on manual and I cant see the pictures until after they are on the computer. Need reading glasses to see that small screen on the camera!!
Joe Bob
Don't press the shutter down completely...let it auto focus then press all the way.
Rusty
The purpose of a puke/slobber bottle is to capture the oil that escapes due to crankcase pressure, right?

If that oil escapes in vapor form, doesn't the bottle itself need to be vented so that it doesn't pop, or allow that oil-filled vapor escape to the air?

I have a problem pouring oil onto the ground or air, if I can prevent it. It goes into the environment. scuba.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
d914
DAH, biggrin.gif "son keeps putting on "MANUAL" and I forget to check!! Took a bunch that were all blurry and I finally figured it out. Last night was my daughter's Prom. Reading glasses and camera on auto focus, much better....!!!!
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Lawrence @ May 1 2005, 03:26 PM)
The purpose of a puke/slobber bottle is to capture the oil that escapes due to crankcase pressure, right?

If that oil escapes in vapor form, doesn't the bottle itself need to be vented so that it doesn't pop, or allow that oil-filled vapor escape to the air?

I have a problem pouring oil onto the ground or air, if I can prevent it. It goes into the environment. scuba.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

Yeah...I have a bottle with a sponge in the bottem and then vapor vented back to the carbs....
datapace
How about this one from ebay. lol2.gif screwy.gif

-bryan
Aaron Cox
QUOTE ("Z" @ May 1 2005, 04:31 PM)

I have a problem pouring oil onto the ground or air, if I can prevent it.  It goes into the environment.  :scuba:

-Rusty  :toke:

Yeah...I have a bottle with a sponge in the bottem and then vapor vented back to the carbs....

why not buy a typical VW breather system?
a box with 3 or 4 hose fittings, and a sponge filter to keep the vapors going into the ENVIRO, and all the oil drains back into the heads later wink.gif
Eric_Shea
How about this one from ebay

Yeah... that's Armando. If you check out his site he shows it with the cap and washer hose still attached which is why I know they're washer fluid bottles off "something". I don't think they're off 911's. My 66 911 had a "bag". My 71 had a bottle with the pump attached... Lost confused24.gif

(and I aint about to spend more than $27.50 no way I'd spend $275.00) w00t.gif
J P Stein
This stylish number on the left is plastic & started life as a mixed nuts container. Inside is a breather to knock down vapor & under the lid is a half inch of foam for the same purpose.....bunch of holes drilled in the lid to vent. We are not all hooked back up yet.....but I'm workin' on it.

It stayed dry in normal usage but caught 6-8 oz at AXs.
Dominic
Here is a JAZ breather bottle I found on ebay. These have a filter and a drain at the bottom of the bottle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...5&category=6763
campbellcj
I went with an aluminum Canton bottle. A windshield reservoir would've worked just fine, but this was more stylish blink.gif LOL...plus it has the threaded fittings and drain petcock.
Aaron Cox
Eric Shea

will this work for your GT? relatively close....
user posted image
El CLicko Mi
red914

-Rusty smoke.gif

(note: this post will reveal my ignorance and lack of knowledge)

so, is this slobber bottle installed instead of routing the breather tubes into the airfilters, as i have seen on some cars? i think this was the cause of my late oil leak, which is now gone since rerouting the breather tubes into the air filters. did i do a bad thing?
Eric_Shea
That would work... if it were stateside.

I actually like Chris's Canton bottle.

Miley-Pooh, it's not the best place to route those hoses in the first place, plus under racing conditions it can spit up a great deal making it "definitly" not the best place to route those hoses. For street it's not a "bad" thing and for a wet sump car....
red914
so, from the bottle it simply returns to the case?

silly me, i thought i had this all figured out, and now i realize that i know nothing! AAUUGGHH!!
SLITS
QUOTE (red914 @ May 2 2005, 07:35 AM)

silly me, i thought i had this all figured out, and now i realize that i know nothing! AAUUGGHH!!

We never returned "puked" oil to the engine system in the race cars.

BTW, the "puke cans" as we called them were attached to the breather of any oil system, two on the engine and one on the tranny. Start dropping fluids in a race and your race is over - Black Flag....(not the bug killer either).
rhodyguy
shane, you would eliminate the need to run any additional lines other than the one to the bottle. you simply empty the catch bottle as needed. you may find routing the venting to one carb makes for a mess.

k
red914
actually, i am venting to two carbs now, Kevin; will that still make for a mess? my engine is a lot cleaner, as it doesn't just spill out all over the place. that is an improvement, right?
Eric_Shea

Nope. There's a petcock at the bottom of the good ones (like what Chris has $90.00). After the race you check and empty if needed. Dump the remains out underneath SLITS car and watch him spend the next 4 hours looking for the leak w00t.gif
rhodyguy
or the nearest storm water grate. esp if it drains directly to puget sound. your setup should work just fine shane. remember, don't fix what is working for you. chairfall.gif

k
red914
thanks for the assurance, Kevin. it seems to be running really nicely now. now to focus on other issues, like ignoring rust!

actually, i need to play "let's make a deal" with Dino for a pair of his ss heat exchangers.
HotRod
Check with Summit Racing, they're primarily into V8 drag racers, but have some general racing equipment that is reasonable in price.

I use two of these...one vent line from each valve cover.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?...ch.asp&N=400304

HotRod
Ooops, That should be...

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?...ch.asp&N=400304
HotRod
Odd, the link doesn't seem to work...just type in "breather tanks" into the search, I use the blue plastic ones with the filter on top.
Eric_Shea
That's much closer to my $27.50 price. With the petcock, mounts, and breather. Done!

Thanks HotRod smilie_pokal.gif

(Any pictures of your mount? I think I like where Chris put his...)
Eric_Shea
Rusty... jump on that one. It's the best deal I've seen.

Thanks again HotRod... I searched Summit earlier in this thread but didn't see these. beerchug.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE (HotRod @ May 2 2005, 09:53 AM)
Odd, the link doesn't seem to work...just type in "breather tanks" into the search, I use the blue plastic ones with the filter on top.

Here ya go:
HotLink for Summit Breather
rhodyguy
in my tommy flanagan voice "YA, THAT'S THE TICKET!!!". thank you. i like the red one. while i'm painting the engine tin to match, perhaps i should....

k
brant
As mentioned on page one of this thread.
We went with bike bottles because of cost effectiveness and weight.

You can buy bottle frames in any material, and they tell you how many GRAMS they weigh... not ounces but rather grams.

we went with aluminum (over titanium) because they are so cheap:
Eric_Shea
while i'm painting the engine tin to match, perhaps i should....

Stay in bed ya sick bastard, you're gonna get us all infected biggrin.gif

Brant, curious, why drill the little hole when you had that great big ole one right next to it. Oooopppppppppps, never mind... "weight savings". Probably got another .000347 grams outta that one w00t.gif
brant
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 2 2005, 12:19 PM)
while i'm painting the engine tin to match, perhaps i should....

Stay in bed ya sick bastard, you're gonna get us all infected biggrin.gif

Brant, curious, why drill the little hole when you had that great big ole one right next to it. Oooopppppppppps, never mind... "weight savings". Probably got another .000347 grams outta that one w00t.gif

Eric,

to be honest, I think I already had the little hole too.
(Is there possibly a nut welded to the chassis in that location, for the front of the targa top?)

for what ever reason I think we had the little hole.
Plus, the little hole lined up much better for that hose from the tranny

whoo'dy... hoo...hooo... (lol)

brant
JmuRiz
Seems like most of the guys with these overflow bottles are running 6's. Do us 4-cyl guys need these or would we be fine running something like this:
user posted image
with lines going to the heads and one to the oil filler? Or do we need a overflow bottle in there somewhere. Thanks just want to do it 'right' when I install mine.
SLITS
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 2 2005, 08:42 AM)

Nope. There's a petcock at the bottom of the good ones (like what Chris has $90.00). After the race you check and empty if needed. Dump the remains out underneath SLITS car and watch him spend the next 4 hours looking for the leak w00t.gif

Wrong Buffalobreath.....my cars don't leak oil rolleyes.gif
rhodyguy
jim, those boxes are open around the top edge. not much, but ever so slightly. brad warned me that over time my freshly painted engine compartment would have a thin coating of oil. perfect for catching a thin layer of dust. that was one time i wished he didn't know what he was talking about sad.gif .

k
Eric_Shea
(Is there possibly a nut welded to the chassis in that location, for the front of the targa top?)

Ahhhhhhhhh... no. Nice try though.

Buffalobreath...? Hey, hey... HEY watchit "Ticketboy" beer.gif
HotRod
JMURiz, you don't want to mess with that box...I tried one once and it was a major mistake, what a mess.

Eric, I'll see if I can get a pic of my mounts for the Breather Tanks, basically I welded in a mount where the stock battery locations and another on the opposite side of the engine compartment. There's only a small area up there where there's enough room for the bottle. I converted the 6- connectors on the bottle to -10.
Eric_Shea
I converted the 6- connectors on the bottle to -10.

I though about that too.

How simple (or not) was it?
HotRod
It was pretty simple, but this is a race car and the whole battery tray is cut out and the battery mounted in the passenger footwell. It may be a bit harder if the battery tray is to remain in the stock location. You may want to look at mounting directly to the firewall (or with spacers) in front of the engine. Convertn to the -10 was rael easy, I just used a -10 top 5/8 NPT adapter and screwed the NPT into the plastic bottle, it tapped itself.
JmuRiz
QUOTE (HotRod @ May 3 2005, 06:29 AM)
JMURiz, you don't want to mess with that box...I tried one once and it was a major mistake, what a mess.

Eric, I'll see if I can get a pic of my mounts for the Breather Tanks, basically I welded in a mount where the stock battery locations and another on the opposite side of the engine compartment. There's only a small area up there where there's enough room for the bottle. I converted the 6- connectors on the bottle to -10.

Cool,
Pictures would be nice. I 'could' always seal up the top on that container and run a spare K&N breather filter about 3" up from that. I'll brainstorm and come up with something based on what you guys are running.

BTW where in Burke are you, my parents live there and I take the 914 to their place every now and then.
HotRod
I'll see what I can do about pics, I've got the camera, but the PCs been broken for about two months.

I'm right across from Lake Braddock High School. Signal Hill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.